13 Reasons Why & Tyler.

Thegiantgerm
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

13 Reasons Why & Tyler.

Post by Thegiantgerm »

I don't know if it's just me but I found what happened in that bathroom particularly disgusting to watch. As someone who has read and seen plenty of rape stories in books/media I don't think any of them fucked me up quite like this one. I felt traumatized afterwards. I couldn't even sleep I was so distraught. On one hand I know stuff like this happens in real life and also that they wanted something to get people talking about the show even more so than the first season but he was fucking apologizing as they beat the shit out of him, drowned him in the toilet, then proceed to rape him with a broken mop. At school. In a school fucking bathroom. No one fucking heard it? No one saw him after and thought something was wrong??? I know Tyler is probably one of the least liked characters but this was too much. And it was all for the aftermath of him trying to carry out a school shooting (tacky given all that's been happening in Florida where I live and many other states after). What I really don't get is everyone defending the shit out of it either. Using the excuse of "it needs to be talked about" "it's suppose to be hard to watch" "this really happens in real life, this starts the conversation about it". Bitch......what the actual fuck? I know it happens and it does need to be talked about. A lot of boys/men this happens to often don't report it. But showing it the way they did is honestly disrespectful as fuck. The scene didn't need to be as graphic as it was to start a conversation or make a point. Those bullshit warnings at the beginning didn't prepare me for that scene either. I can't imagine what it would do to someone who has been assaulted. I've never been assaulted. I have no idea what that feels like. But I've never been so affected by a scene or story. I didn't know how to deal with it. I even went back and re read the book that started it all. Which only further pissed me off. I won't even get into why because it's unpopular opinion and I'm already bitching about something many viewers praised the shit out of. The whole point of my ill thought out rant I guess is I'd like to know I'm not alone here. That other people might see or feel what I mean when I say this show is the fucking worst.....I feel better now than I did a few weeks ago after watching it. It's still stuck in my head though. Still eating at me like maggots.

theodora102
Wallflower
Wallflower

Re: 13 Reasons Why & Tyler.

Post by theodora102 »

This show is a total gore fest. It loves shocking material. Like, yeah, male rape and abuse needs to be talked about. But no, it shouldn't be used as a wild attraction to get viewers. They wanted views and they knew something that disturbing would peak interests

milkshake03
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by milkshake03 »

I liked season 2, but i hated that they showed hanna as a gohst/fantasy. They didnt do that in the first season and they shouldnt have done it in the second season

dustfairy
Debater
Debater

Post by dustfairy »

Did you find the rape of the girls in season 1 as traumatising?

WallflowerReads
Learner
Learner

Post by WallflowerReads »

On the one hand, I agree that it was graphic. But I'm not sure if I agree that it should have been made less graphic.

I've always been a pretty big advocate for men's rights and men's issues, and I actually wasn't aware of this particular "hazing" ritual. After seeing this on the show and the huge reaction to this scene, I was made aware of this actually being a thing that happens all the time. Which is horrifying.

I honestly don't think this issue would have been as widely talked about if the scene hadn't been as shocking as it was. So while it was very difficult to watch (maybe a little less so for me, because someone actually warned me about it before I got to that episode), I question whether it might have been the right choice to make it so. If it brought light to this important issue, maybe it was worth making us all a little uncomfortable for a while.

Return to “Drama”