A Model Recommends

Post Reply
instinctlady07
Informer
Informer
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:23 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A Model Recommends

Post by instinctlady07 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:19 pm

I've been watching Ruth Crilly for a while now. Surprised there is no thread about her!

Although I like her there are things that irritate me, mainly her nonchalance to everything

Her what's in my bag post is so rude and her "couldn't care less attitude" is just vulgar, rude and ungrateful. She making a livelihood from You Tube. Play the game or shut up.

Her interview with Liz Hurley was embarrassingly BAD. The other presenter was far better

(apologies if there is a thread already)

BebeSwan
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:32 pm
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by BebeSwan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:07 pm

Wow Liz Hurley is so polished and classy. Had to chuckle at how Ruth seemed to keep her head turned to Ree, Ruth's modeling career is pretty much over while LH made the jump from model to icon.

I was subbed to Ruth years ago when she was still a real model and vlogged from hotels in NYC/Paris etc. I unsubbed when she vlogged from a pixiwoo modeling shoot for their digital magazine--I felt that marked the end of her true modeling days lol

Her Christmas gift guides became high end infomercials without any giveaways attached, which was a huge turnoff for me.

There's a thread on her in the Rave section but I feel it's appropriate to have one in the Trash section as well.

instinctlady07
Informer
Informer
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:23 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by instinctlady07 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:14 am

BebeSwan wrote:Wow Liz Hurley is so polished and classy. Had to chuckle at how Ruth seemed to keep her head turned to Ree, Ruth's modeling career is pretty much over while LH made the jump from model to icon.

I was subbed to Ruth years ago when she was still a real model and vlogged from hotels in NYC/Paris etc. I unsubbed when she vlogged from a pixiwoo modeling shoot for their digital magazine--I felt that marked the end of her true modeling days lol

Her Christmas gift guides became high end infomercials without any giveaways attached, which was a huge turnoff for me.

There's a thread on her in the Rave section but I feel it's appropriate to have one in the Trash section as well.
So agree with you

Liz Hurley was amazing in that vid wasn't she? She was eloquent and classy. Ree was very good too fair play and hid her nerves well but Ruth's inexperience, lack of preparation and nerves were obvious. It was cringeworthy watching her.

Ruth get sent a phenomenal amount of high end product to review or sponsor. If her "couldn't care attitude towards her 'What's in my handbag?' post is going to start appearing I will unsub.

Her make up tutorials are always slightly disappointing too. Cconsidering she has been around make up for years and has had so many MUA work on her with different looks her tutorials always appear the same, particularly her eye make up.

heyheyheynow
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Posts: 1209
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by heyheyheynow » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:48 am

high end infomercials without any giveaways attached
well that's awfully entitled. Why should she have to do giveaways?

User avatar
Candice
Debater
Debater
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by Candice » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:56 am

I suppose it has something to do with the fact that she gets most things given to her so she might as well pass the goods along. Especially when it's a sponsored video, she may as well reward her subscribers for watching it.

User avatar
Nin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by Nin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:39 am

I used to really like Ruth. I liked her attitude and that she seemed so much more mature on camera than the likes of Tanya Burr etc.
Over the past couple of years though I stopped taking any of her recomendations seriously. It's always just a quick overview of the stuff she has been sent for free and a lot of it is incredibly high end. I love high end products, but put a lot of research into what I purchase as I don't want to waste my money and I just don't trust any of her reviews nowadays. As has been said they come across as infomercials and she's never seen using the products again. I don't feel like she really appreciates the price of some of these things due to the fact that she's getting them for free and her husband is wealthy.

I'm not a fan of her tutorials either. They are always quite samey and I just don't actually think she's that great at applying make-up. It often looks quite overdone and messy. I don't think she actaully has a face that can take many make-up looks.

I would also agree that I disliked her latest what's in my bag video a lot. I was actually really taken aback at how rude she seemed. There was just so little effort, and it showed a bad attitude to her subscribers. She doesn't usually come across so badly so maybe she was having a bad day or something?

I watched the documentry she was in years ago with Erin O' Conner (This model life) about her life as she was just starting out and was in lots of debt, had quit uni to model and nothing was working out for her. She was living in America at the time but had to come back to the UK as she just wasn't getting the jobs or money etc. I remember liking her then. She looks so young. :D
You can watch it here. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/this ... sode-guide

I have to admit I feared I would start to like her less when she signed up to Dailymix. Looks like my fears came true. :D

instinctlady07
Informer
Informer
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:23 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by instinctlady07 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:42 am

Nin wrote:I used to really like Ruth. I liked her attitude and that she seemed so much more mature on camera than the likes of Tanya Burr etc.
Over the past couple of years though I stopped taking any of her recomendations seriously. It's always just a quick overview of the stuff she has been sent for free and a lot of it is incredibly high end. I love high end products, but put a lot of research into what I purchase as I don't want to waste my money and I just don't trust any of her reviews nowadays. As has been said they come across as infomercials and she's never seen using the products again. I don't feel like she really appreciates the price of some of these things due to the fact that she's getting them for free and her husband is wealthy.

I'm not a fan of her tutorials either. They are always quite samey and I just don't actually think she's that great at applying make-up. It often looks quite overdone and messy. I don't think she actaully has a face that can take many make-up looks.

I would also agree that I disliked her latest what's in my bag video a lot. I was actually really taken aback at how rude she seemed. There was just so little effort, and it showed a bad attitude to her subscribers. She doesn't usually come across so badly so maybe she was having a bad day or something?

I watched the documentry she was in years ago with Erin O' Conner (This model life) about her life as she was just starting out and was in lots of debt, had quit uni to model and nothing was working out for her. She was living in America at the time but had to come back to the UK as she just wasn't getting the jobs or money etc. I remember liking her then. She looks so young. :D
You can watch it here. http://www.channel4.com/programmes/this ... sode-guide

I have to admit I feared I would start to like her less when she signed up to Dailymix. Looks like my fears came true. :D
Such a spot on post Nin! Agree with all your points. I completely agree with your analysis of her recommendations. She's so blasé about everything, even high end products because she gets them all or most for free

I saw the documentary years ago! It's good.

She could do so much with that channel. I know she has other things-post grad/moving house etc but I feel she's been disengaged with this channel for a while now

How do you know her husband is wealthy? What is his occupation?

User avatar
Nin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by Nin » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:09 am

instinctlady07 wrote: How do you know her husband is wealthy? What is his occupation?
He is Richard Grassie. A famous celebrity photgrapher. http://www.richardgrassie.com/portraits#1
Think there are a few shots of Ruth in his website as well. :D

instinctlady07
Informer
Informer
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:23 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by instinctlady07 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Nin wrote:
instinctlady07 wrote: How do you know her husband is wealthy? What is his occupation?
He is Richard Grassie. A famous celebrity photgrapher. http://www.richardgrassie.com/portraits#1
Think there are a few shots of Ruth in his website as well. :D
Thanks Nin :-)

liseppe
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Posts: 1238
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:56 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by liseppe » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:08 pm

I remember when that documentary came out. Amodelrecommends is something i've watched and read for years but now Ruth's attitude and lacklustre reviews are grating. I made a perfectly acceptable comment in the melodramatic "eating crap, feeling crap" post offering constructive criticism and was shot down in a juvenile, rude manner not only by Ruth but all the rest of the commentators.

On all these big blogs unless you are "I love you everything you say is a-mahzing!" you are seen as being negative rather than simply having an opinion. This attitude is completely immature and it's disappointing seeing people you have enjoyed reading from the start behave in such a manner.

Ho hum.

litnerd
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Posts: 1340
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:24 am
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by litnerd » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:50 am

Searched high and low for This Model Life yesterday and sadly can't find it available anywhere in the US :(. Bummer!

User avatar
Fat Shark
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Posts: 4134
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:49 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by Fat Shark » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:18 am

liseppe wrote:I remember when that documentary came out. Amodelrecommends is something i've watched and read for years but now Ruth's attitude and lacklustre reviews are grating. I made a perfectly acceptable comment in the melodramatic "eating crap, feeling crap" post offering constructive criticism and was shot down in a juvenile, rude manner not only by Ruth but all the rest of the commentators.

On all these big blogs unless you are "I love you everything you say is a-mahzing!" you are seen as being negative rather than simply having an opinion. This attitude is completely immature and it's disappointing seeing people you have enjoyed reading from the start behave in such a manner.

Ho hum.
I really do like Ruth, but I found that post really condescending. It's such a trite thing to say, "eat like crap, feel like crap". I think most people know that by now.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

TKL760
Informer
Informer
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by TKL760 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:18 pm

liseppe wrote:I remember when that documentary came out. Amodelrecommends is something i've watched and read for years but now Ruth's attitude and lacklustre reviews are grating. I made a perfectly acceptable comment in the melodramatic "eating crap, feeling crap" post offering constructive criticism and was shot down in a juvenile, rude manner not only by Ruth but all the rest of the commentators.

On all these big blogs unless you are "I love you everything you say is a-mahzing!" you are seen as being negative rather than simply having an opinion. This attitude is completely immature and it's disappointing seeing people you have enjoyed reading from the start behave in such a manner.

Ho hum.
I read that post and if your comment is the one I'm thinking of you were really quite condescending, and purposefully so. Ruths response was immature, but your comment wasn't exactly constructive.

BebeSwan
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:32 pm
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by BebeSwan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:34 pm

I haven't watched Ruth for at least a year now, haven't missed her channel a bit!

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by BellaJane » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:18 pm

I actually quite like her, but I haven't subscribed. I've been getting sick of other gurus acting like 5 year olds, so it's refreshing to see someone act like an adult. I like her face. And her videos are always very to-the-point, which is nice. I can't take many of her recommendations seriously, though, as they're all either UK-based brands or so expensive that I'd have to sell a kidney to save up.

kisskissmakeup
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:30 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by kisskissmakeup » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Her posts are not only sponsored but all the links are affiliated links. EVERYTHING. And nothing is disclosed as such.

Audacity
Informer
Informer
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by Audacity » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:29 pm

I used to like her videos, but the products she uses and recommends are ridiculously out of budget for me. I know there are people in the market for products like that, but I'm not one of them, so I feel like there isn't a point to watching her videos. I'm simply not going to buy a 60 dollar candle.

missaaa
Learner
Learner
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:11 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by missaaa » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Just saw this video and had to post it here, just looks so awful.



I really like Ruth but this was horrendous.

User avatar
Tea_and_Crumpets
Informer
Informer
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:57 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by Tea_and_Crumpets » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:09 pm

litnerd wrote:Searched high and low for This Model Life yesterday and sadly can't find it available anywhere in the US :(. Bummer!
It's been months but wanted to say that you can watch UK (and other) sites using an add-on/extension for your browser. It's called Hola Unblocker or Media Hint. It will change your region with a click of a button and you can watch stuff like that Channel 4 link.

User avatar
spongecookie
Debater
Debater
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:12 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by spongecookie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:39 pm

missaaa wrote:Just saw this video and had to post it here, just looks so awful.



I really like Ruth but this was horrendous.
And that's not even an April Fools' video. Sooo bad.

User avatar
Dandelion
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Posts: 5065
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 716 times
Been thanked: 759 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by Dandelion » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:03 am

I'm just watching the vlog: Behind-the-Scenes at the Matthew Williamson Show and I think Ruth looks so stiff and uncomfortable interviewing Matthew Williams. She didn't seem relaxed or happy throughout the video, kind of forced.

User avatar
youtubeisfun
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Posts: 1251
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:23 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by youtubeisfun » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:11 pm

missaaa wrote:Just saw this video and had to post it here, just looks so awful.



I really like Ruth but this was horrendous.
WTH was that? All she did was use a little dry shampoo and mess up her hair a little. They needed a video for that?

User avatar
Lilja
Debater
Debater
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:53 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by Lilja » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:26 am

I used to really love her blog and subscribed to her mailing list but I've had to unsub. I seriously don't care about celebrities who look like your dog, one post was bad enough but it now we're on about part six or seven :? I think she's been going downhill content wise for a while now. She doesn't model anymore, does she? I think that was what gave her the edge over other gurus, but it's hard to trust her recommendations anymore when there are so many affiliate links in her posts.

knittingpenguin
Learner
Learner
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:48 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by knittingpenguin » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:08 am

I want to like her, but I keep getting disappointed. And like someone said, theproducts she reviews are so pricey. I wish she would at least do comparisons between similar products in various price ranges. She used to do that.
Image

bloggerbaiter
Learner
Learner
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:47 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by bloggerbaiter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:55 pm

She has absolutely no integrity. She charges thousands just to mention something on her blog. Alas I can't prove it but I know it is true. Buddying up with Caroline Hirons is a shrewd move, but a bad one in my opinion. It's a huge boost for Caroline and probably Ruth, but for those who dislike caroline, its a bad thing.

But the thing is, I'm sure she couldn't care less about integrity, when you earn as much as she does, and have as many followers as she does, It's probably not that important since people will follow you regardless.

Post Reply

Return to “A Model Recommends”