AModelRecommends

BebeSwan
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by BebeSwan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:49 pm

I loved her channel about 2 years ago when she would do "model vlogs" from hotels/shoot locations. She seemed to use products to help her skin deal with the rigors of MUAs applying product and airplane skin issues. Now she seems like a PR machine/infomercial because she's not so much a model, more a stay at home MA student and so her skin doesn't take abuse from tons of MUAs manipulating her skin.

Her first Christmas gift guide was great but I was turned off that there was no giveaway after she went through lovely yet extremely expensive products.

Now she's hitched her wagon to the DailyMix crowd..

Nin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:30 pm

I agree with this. I found her easier to relate to then.
I still really like her as a person, and I do still look forward to her videos. However I don't take her recommendations as seriously anymore, as she does really just seem to have become a PR machine like BebeSwan said. She has so many different products etc sent to her that I feel that not many of those products are getting a real chance to be tested properly.
Every video has begun to feel like I'm watching an advertisement of some kind. :(

BebeSwan
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by BebeSwan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Lol she filmed her March Favorites video in her "beauty room". Looks like she gets sent so many products she allotted a whole room to store them!

segLXI
Talker
Talker

Post by segLXI » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:15 pm

I really like Ruth. She obviously is/was a successful model, I mean not high fashion but commercial. I like that her style isn't trendy at all, which is nice for a youtuber. I think all her videos are really good and she seems intelligent. It's interesting to see where she will go from here. Only think for me is all the products she uses are out of my budget so I don't even really bother looking at some of her beauty vids anymore. I like her make-up vids though.

Nin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Nin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Yes. I don't think I can ever recall Ruth using many drugstore brands. I like the fact that no matter what look she is doing in tutorials etc she doesn't use too many products all over her face. The fact that she uses so few products to get a look often makes the look more affordable I think? She tends to just keep things simple and I like that.
I also like that she places a lot of emphasis on skincare. Having a good base to put makeup on makes such a huge difference and I like that she clearly puts research into what different ingredients do for the skin as oppossed to just slapping it on and stating that it works/doesn't work.

qqq
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by qqq » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:19 pm

I love her skincare recommendations!!!

BebeSwan
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by BebeSwan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Lol she calls Clinique Clarifying Lotion "napalm for the skin". But yet that stuff cured my acne (in conjunction with Clinique Facial soap for oily skin).

And I'd spent tons of money on dermatologists which did nothing for my acne.

Anyhoo..

diva2themax
Learner
Learner

Post by diva2themax » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Love her! She was a big model I remember seeing her on covers, advertisements & editorials all of the time when I was in HS. She's beautiful & stylish in an effortless way. Like everyone else has said her skincare recs & reviews are really great & she really makes me want to buy so many things that she recs.

instinctlady07
Informer
Informer

A Model Recommends

Post by instinctlady07 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Has she a thread? did look but couldnt find one. Any thoughts?!?

Dandelion
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: A Model Recommends

Post by Dandelion » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:55 pm

instinctlady07 wrote:Has she a thread? did look but couldnt find one. Any thoughts?!?
I like her a lot. If anything, I would say she needs a rave thread. :)
She has over 170,000 subscribers. Shouldn't she be in the main section?

PinaColada
Lurker
Lurker

Post by PinaColada » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:14 pm

shes so down to earth and genuinely nice and helpful i love her

kowabunga
Informer
Informer

Post by kowabunga » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:00 pm

I really like her, she seems to be a very down to earth person, very normal and genuinely friendly. I also have a lot of respect for her for getting a university degree in literature this year (or was it last year?). I'm aware she did't really need it and it was more for fun but she still had to do all the work in her spare time so I think she was really dedicated to it.

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with her vids as the others here: the products she talks about are totally out of my price range, which is too bad because otherwise, she'd be the perfect guru for me.
"Money corrupts people. And free body wash." lips

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:34 am

I really like Ruth. She's incredibly beautiful for a start and I never would have guessed her age. She has a very mature way of delivering things and that is always a plus for me. If they are eloquent (and accents don't hurt either) I could listen to them ramble about anything for days on end. I do find some of her recommendations can be pricey but I have also found that she attempts to name some cheaper alternatives! I totally understand, with that kind of money, how she would have quite high end stuff and if it works I usually wouldn't mind forking out either.
I was kind of over her collab's with Hiron's though. I only liked listening to Ruth's recommendations.
iHERB referral code: ZRN037

dandeli0n
Lurker
Lurker

Post by dandeli0n » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:18 am

What do you think of her dry shampoo line? Haven't tried it myself yet but looks pretty good.... is it coincidence that Ruth is with Gleam who are also pushing products from their cients, Zoella, Tanya etc? All products are exclusive (as far as i know) to Superdrug/Feel Unique too.

nervousbeachgoer
Informer
Informer

Post by nervousbeachgoer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:27 pm

It's the only gleam product I actually want to try as the no white powder sounds good. British Beauty Blogger did a post saying it was good, not sure how trustworthy other reviews are when they all just rave about each other though

BinsBinsBins
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BinsBinsBins » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:43 am

I used to subscribe to Ruth but unsubbed when I realized I wasn't watching her beauty vids because the products were too expensive or unavailable here in the States.

I REALLY wish she'd do more cooking/healthy lifestyle videos. Those were my favorite, even though she never posted anything complicated or even overly creative. I just liked the simplicity of her suggestions and common sense. It was good to see and be reminded of how easy cooking at home and eating more healthy can actually be.

Foenli
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Foenli » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Okay, I'm gonna say it: what if she's pregnant? She apologised in her last video for not uploading in the last few weeks because she has been "under the weather"... Just speculating :D

beautyreader
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by beautyreader » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 am

She's definitely preggers! Check out the hints in her latest post http://www.amodelrecommends.com/2015/01 ... ect-stays/
We wanted something quite special, with a touch of luxury, as we felt that this was a big occasion (my birthday, my niece baby Edith’s first birthday and something else rather exciting) and so the first consideration was whether or not we booked a hotel.
"Mum and I have already started planning a late-summer escape to Cornwall and perhaps Holt Farm again for next Christmas or New Year; though there are changes afoot in the little AMR family so who knows what will happen!"
She's adorable and this explains the lack of posts lately...congrats to her!

Churro Churro
Talker
Talker

Post by Churro Churro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:26 am

Who is this person? I would like to start watching their videos:)

kowabunga
Informer
Informer

Post by kowabunga » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:37 am

beautyreader wrote:She's definitely preggers! Check out the hints in her latest post http://www.amodelrecommends.com/2015/01 ... ect-stays/
We wanted something quite special, with a touch of luxury, as we felt that this was a big occasion (my birthday, my niece baby Edith’s first birthday and something else rather exciting) and so the first consideration was whether or not we booked a hotel.
"Mum and I have already started planning a late-summer escape to Cornwall and perhaps Holt Farm again for next Christmas or New Year; though there are changes afoot in the little AMR family so who knows what will happen!"
She's adorable and this explains the lack of posts lately...congrats to her!
maaaan, now I'm really excited! I hope it's true, I'd be very happy for her! :D

Eclectic
Learner
Learner

Post by Eclectic » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:38 am

She's pregnant!! Is it bad to so happy for someone you don't know? Teared up a bit in her latest when she briefly mentioned that the baby was a long time coming/ fertility issues... Happy for her :D

cdy

Post by cdy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:09 am

i unsub from her a while ago but im happy for her and proud of how observant people are on GG because i remember earring about the possibilities of her being pregnant here first.

lilmisscrazy322
Talker
Talker

Post by lilmisscrazy322 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:23 pm

Eclectic wrote:She's pregnant!! Is it bad to so happy for someone you don't know? Teared up a bit in her latest when she briefly mentioned that the baby was a long time coming/ fertility issues... Happy for her :D
When she said she has to write it down, I teared up! I am so excited for her, strange considering she's a stranger and all.

kowabunga
Informer
Informer

Post by kowabunga » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:27 am

:D <3

BinsBinsBins
Gossiper
Gossiper