AModelRecommends

User avatar
Guest

AModelRecommends

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Ruth Crilly is very talented. Check her out.

User avatar
xLatteinParisx
Learner
Learner
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:56 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by xLatteinParisx » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:12 am

Agreed, she's very talented, knowledgeable, beautiful accent and I love her voice! Also a fan of the gift guides she's been coming up with and her skincare videos are the best!
x

User avatar
Guest

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 am

She does not draw big numbers. I don't think the teenyboppers watch her. Too bad she is cool.

ChanelMagic
Informer
Informer
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by ChanelMagic » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Love her she is one of the few beauty gurus that seems to take the time to fully test the products she recommends. Ruth is very knowledgable about the products she presents. If someone is knowledgeable and has actually tested the products, I don't mind so much if they are sponsored. She is also very very funny and intelligent (I think she is finishing up an advance degree). Beauty and Brains.

SallyCinnamon
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by SallyCinnamon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:11 am

My favourite video of hers is the one where she shows off her Paris hotel room and what she packed for the trip. She has an amazing lifestyle, and she got it through work, not through Mummy and Daddy!

thrillah
Informer
Informer
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:39 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by thrillah » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Only watch her for the skincare reviews/advice but she seems funny/witty and is easy to watch.

RMCF
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:44 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by RMCF » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:26 pm

I've been subscribed to her for ages, absolutely love her.

User avatar
Guest

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 am

Ruth has such a nice touch with makeup. I think because she is cool with the way she looks she uses makeup to highlight what she has as opposed to try to change the way she looks.

User avatar
Nin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Nin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:57 pm

I really like Ruth as well. Her and Jim on the daily mix videos are the only stand outs for me really. I remember watching her on "a model life" many years ago when she was just starting out. She had such a different lifestyle then!
It does bother me a bit that I think pretty much all her makeup and skincare is given to her for free. She does tend to use the same products over and over though that she likes so I least know maybe they are good!
Ruth also seems to have a good work ethic from what I've seen. She works hard on her website etc and seems to be trying hard.
As for her her amazing lifestyle? Has she worked for it? Not arguing at all here, I truly don't know. Does anybody know how successfull a model she is/was? I'd be interested.
I have a feeling that her husband earns a lot of money or is in a good job. I remember thinking that when she was saying about getting a special invitation to a horse riding event where Prince William and Kate were.
She has a very interesting look. Sometimes I think she looks really beautiful, and others I think she looks awful. Is most odd. Her hair looks great a little longer at the moment though.

User avatar
Guest

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Nin wrote:I really like Ruth as well. Her and Jim on the daily mix videos are the only stand outs for me really. I remember watching her on "a model life" many years ago when she was just starting out. She had such a different lifestyle then!
It does bother me a bit that I think pretty much all her makeup and skincare is given to her for free. She does tend to use the same products over and over though that she likes so I least know maybe they are good!
Ruth also seems to have a good work ethic from what I've seen. She works hard on her website etc and seems to be trying hard.
As for her her amazing lifestyle? Has she worked for it? Not arguing at all here, I truly don't know. Does anybody know how successfull a model she is/was? I'd be interested.
I have a feeling that her husband earns a lot of money or is in a good job. I remember thinking that when she was saying about getting a special invitation to a horse riding event where Prince William and Kate were.
She has a very interesting look. Sometimes I think she looks really beautiful, and others I think she looks awful. Is most odd. Her hair looks great a little longer at the moment though.
I believe her husband is a well know celeb photographer. Lot's of models have that ugly/beautiful thing going on. She is incredibly photogenic. That is what makes her a model. I find that so fascinating because so many great looking people look terrible in photos. It's weird.

theshadeofitall
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:24 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by theshadeofitall » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:01 pm

boston61 wrote:I believe her husband is a well know celeb photographer...
Interesting. I'm intrigued by her husband as well. Honestly though, even if he is super loaded I still respect Ruth for her own work. Hasn't she been modelling for like a decade? Even if that's only at a "moderate" level, I would call that a successful career. Plus she seems invested in modelling/beauty/fashion/her blog, rather than just some pretty girl swanning around to get free things.
Image

User avatar
Guest

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:31 pm

theshadeofitall wrote:
boston61 wrote:I believe her husband is a well know celeb photographer...
Interesting. I'm intrigued by her husband as well. Honestly though, even if he is super loaded I still respect Ruth for her own work. Hasn't she been modelling for like a decade? Even if that's only at a "moderate" level, I would call that a successful career. Plus she seems invested in modelling/beauty/fashion/her blog, rather than just some pretty girl swanning around to get free things.
Unfortunately, modeling tends to wind down after 30. I know 30 is still so painfully young but modeling is a kids job really. Lot's of models try to become "brands" after 30. Super models are their own brands. I think Ruth worked a lot in her 20's but now in her 30's is too old for the Forever 21 demographic.

choochy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Posts: 1472
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:12 am
Has thanked: 133 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by choochy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 pm

i unsubbed when she hoped into that collab with grossmakeup and pixiwoooos
:love2: :love2:

User avatar
Nin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Nin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Yes my heart did sink a little when I saw she was part of dailymix. She presents very well, and I totally understand that she is trying to broaden her horizons seeing as her career has a short lifespan. After a few street style videos though I stopped watching. So reptitive and rather boring.
The last video she did with Goss was so bad. It was like watching an advert for various products with Goss looking totally lost in his own living room and Ruth prompting him on what to say. :D

lips
TROLL
TROLL
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by lips » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:41 pm

I really liked her makeup tutorials. So natural and flattering. But her product reviews are just plain infomercials. Not helpful when EVERYTHING is sent to her by PR. Gross. I mean I have no clue what she would go out and invest in that's actually good. She seems to like everything and doesn't want to offend. I think that's shady.

Also I don't believe she was that successful as a model. Sorry. Why would you need to make YouTube videos?
BANNED FOR TROLLING

User avatar
Guest

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 am

lips wrote:I really liked her makeup tutorials. So natural and flattering. But her product reviews are just plain infomercials. Not helpful when EVERYTHING is sent to her by PR. Gross. I mean I have no clue what she would go out and invest in that's actually good. She seems to like everything and doesn't want to offend. I think that's shady.

Also I don't believe she was that successful as a model. Sorry. Why would you need to make YouTube videos?
That's so true. She never says what she doesn't like. Interesting. Wonder why?

lips
TROLL
TROLL
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by lips » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 am

Maybe she works for a PR company and has to review things they send her?
BANNED FOR TROLLING

User avatar
Nin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Nin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:43 am

So after a google, her husband appear to be Richard Grassie. A very big photographer. http://www.richardgrassie.com/#1
I always liked the fact that she kept her husband out of her videos and just got on withthings herself. Now I wonder if because he's quite a big name she was concerned that it might hurt her credibility a bit? Ruth mentions her husband in this article here. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/I%27m+jus ... 0236898061
A couple of times I have gone to look up a product she has mentioned and on looking up reviews etc noticed that loads of reviewers bloggers etc are all reviewing whatever wonder product they have bought in the same month. It's so painfully obvious when they have been sent stuff for free and actually puts me off buying something if I feel I can't trust the review. Sometimes I feel like beauty gurus think we must be so stupid and gullibile.

User avatar
Guest

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:43 am

Nin wrote:So after a google, her husband appear to be Richard Grassie. A very big photographer. http://www.richardgrassie.com/#1
I always liked the fact that she kept her husband out of her videos and just got on withthings herself. Now I wonder if because he's quite a big name she was concerned that it might hurt her credibility a bit? Ruth mentions her husband in this article here. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/I%27m+jus ... 0236898061
A couple of times I have gone to look up a product she has mentioned and on looking up reviews etc noticed that loads of reviewers bloggers etc are all reviewing whatever wonder product they have bought in the same month. It's so painfully obvious when they have been sent stuff for free and actually puts me off buying something if I feel I can't trust the review. Sometimes I feel like beauty gurus think we must be so stupid and gullibile.
Maybe he just hates seeing himself on camera. I totally understand that.

lips
TROLL
TROLL
Posts: 1599
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by lips » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:48 pm

He's a successful photographer. He probably wants to protect his career and not lower himself to self promotion on YouTube. Sorry Ruth but you can do better too. Get a real job. She's too smart to make YouTube her career. I like how she's studying to get her MA. Good role model.
BANNED FOR TROLLING

User avatar
Guest

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 pm

lips wrote:He's a successful photographer. He probably wants to protect his career and not lower himself to self promotion on YouTube. Sorry Ruth but you can do better too. Get a real job. She's too smart to make YouTube her career. I like how she's studying to get her MA. Good role model.

Exactly. I think Ruth may be too sophisticated for YouTube. The big beauty demographic on youtube is really young teenaged girls. Like 15-16 year olds.

ChanelMagic
Informer
Informer
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by ChanelMagic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am

lips wrote:I really liked her makeup tutorials. So natural and flattering. But her product reviews are just plain infomercials. Not helpful when EVERYTHING is sent to her by PR. Gross. I mean I have no clue what she would go out and invest in that's actually good. She seems to like everything and doesn't want to offend. I think that's shady.

Also I don't believe she was that successful as a model. Sorry. Why would you need to make YouTube videos?
Actually from what I have seen of the pics she has posted on her twitter feed and her blog, Ruth has INDEED had a very long and successful modeling career. Why is she making youtube video? To capitalize on her modeling experience/knowledge. She is marketing her brand, her channels and her blog to move towards other career opportunities beyond modeling.

I have followed her channel and blog for a while, Ruth does NOT like everything she reviews. In fact she is one of the few beauty gurus I trust to test beauty products for a long period of time before recommending them. In her videos/blog I enjoy listening to how intelligent, funny and informative she is about drug store and very high end products. If a beauty channel on youtube has a large enough viewers/subscribers, beauty companies are going to take notice and send them free products - this is the normal nature of doing business/marketing today. The key is does the beauty guru give an honest and informative product review or always give glowing positive reviews to kiss up to companies they may want to work for in the future.

Btw Ruth is also pursuing a masters degree and writing a book. Beauty and Brains.

User avatar
Nin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2573
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Nin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:53 am

I think Ruth often comes across as a breath of fresh air. How much of this is because a lot of Youtube is saturated with braindead "makeup artists" who can barely string a sentence together though I don't know.
I find most of what she says pure common sense. So many people seem to lack that nowadays for some reason! :D
I haven't watched it yet but have noticed a video has been uploaded of her and sprinkleofglitter. Seems a really odd combo!
I really wish she wasn't involved in Dailymix. I think she could do better.

Chloe_Bean
Support Moddie
Support Moddie
Posts: 8289
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:21 am
Has thanked: 482 times
Been thanked: 2491 times

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Chloe_Bean » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:57 am

boston61 wrote:She does not draw big numbers. I don't think the teenyboppers watch her. Too bad she is cool.
That's why I like her, she doesn't dumb herself down or cater toward girls who are a decade younger than her. I find it super frustrating that I can't find someone my age (mid twenties) who actually caters their videos to people my age. All of these twenty something girls make videos for 14 year olds.

User avatar
Mommy2JJ
Talker
Talker
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AModelRecommends

Post by Mommy2JJ » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:59 pm

I may be living "under a rock" but I just discovered Ruth. So far I really enjoy her, she seems intelligent and I find her a refreshing voice in the YT beauty/fashion community. :D

Post Reply

Return to “A Model Recommends”