RETIRED MODERATOR

DipDipDipMyBlueShip
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: TheNotSoOrdinaryWife Part 6

Post by DipDipDipMyBlueShip »

About their finances, I think it's a combination of bad taste (they simply don't choose classy looking things or act like they have money, and that affects their image) and miscommunication (Jamie thinks she is a financial guru, and Colby lets her do whatever she wants, she only vaguely tells him stuff). They aren't living in poverty, but I certainly wouldn't call them financially comfortable or a second income unnecessary. If they live living this way then yay for them, but it doesn't really make that much sense to always be talking about paying off debt and never making the full effort to pay it off as fast as possible. She has Etsy and Youtube now, so I'm sure that's going towards their debt, but an actual job (that she completely has the time for btw) would be so much more beneficial. She doesn't want to work, and Colby doesn't care, that's the gist of it really. I actually don't care whether women are housewives or not, hell, I get it, I like being at home and I like having my time that isn't scheduled completely to an outsiders needs, but to always talk about debt and not fully work toward paying it off just seems counterintuitive
RETIRED MODERATOR

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

DipDipDipMyBlueShip wrote:About their finances, I think it's a combination of bad taste and miscommunication. They aren't living in poverty, but I certainly wouldn't call them financially comfortable or a second income unnecessary. If they live living this way then yay for them, but it doesn't really make that much sense to always be talking about paying off debt and never making the full effort to pay it off as fast as possible. She has Etsy and Youtube now, so I'm sure that's going towards their debt, but an actual job (that she completely has the time for btw) would be so much more beneficial. She doesn't want to work, and Colby doesn't care, that's the gist of it really. I actually don't care whether women are housewives or not, hell, I get it, I like being at home and I like having my time that isn't scheduled completely to an outsiders needs, but to always talk about debt and not fully work toward paying it off just seems counterintuitive
I agree, I think there is a lot of mismanagement and miscommunication going on. Even if his salary isn't great I can't believe they don't have a chunk of money left. Is it really all going on debts? If I were them I would decide to spend six months living really frugally (lots of veggie batch cooking and no trips to the shops except for essentials) and throw every penny at those debts. I get the impression they just bumble along and don't actually sit down with a spreadsheet and make a plan with proper goals.

QueenE
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by QueenE »

Yeah I agree with you both.

I think they just manage their money in the wrong way, I don't expect them to live like celebrities but something isn't right.

I'm also confused at how now she seems to spend a lot more and apparently the rent is higher. Maybe he got another raise? Their situation is just strange for me.

DipDipDipMyBlueShip
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

loopyloo wrote:I get the impression they just bumble along and don't actually sit down with a spreadsheet and make a plan with proper goals.
She basically said that in the video, she said that a few years ago their debt was just whatever, they paid the minimum and that was it, there was no kick to want to pay it off ASAP. In the very same video she claims that she has always been interested in finances and budgeting, so something doesn't add up here...
QueenE wrote:I'm also confused at how now she seems to spend a lot more and apparently the rent is higher. Maybe he got another raise? Their situation is just strange for me.
Maybe she really did get a job ;)
RETIRED MODERATOR

QueenE
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by QueenE »

Jamie getting a job would be as shocking as organizedlikeJen pregnancy :P

DipDipDipMyBlueShip
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

I'm gonna assume that the 1 guest at the bottom of the screen is Jamie. She just posted this on FB. Jamie, if you're answering questions, can you at least give us some interesting info like your new job title lol (or even the field)

RETIRED MODERATOR

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

It is a shame that neither of them seem to be particularly motivated or financially savvy. I have watched quite a lot of young couples on YT over the years (and prior to that on podcasts) who were younger than Jamie and Colby, on one salary and managed to buy a house and have a baby. The way they always seemed to do it is really working together towards a goal, learning about finance and the wife doing lots of money saving and money making things at home. I think Jamie talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk. She talks about cutting down the grocery bill, but never actually embraces batch cooking or exploring different recipes or trying to find out if there are farm shops or co-ops nearby to by food. She talks about thrift shopping, but she is half arsed about it and doesn't go out with the intention of actually looking for high-quality finds. She talks about she is interested in finances, but I have never once heard her talk about the merits of different savings accounts or using interest rates to your advantage. And she only seems to go to other YT housewives for advice rather than proper finance sites.

Tilzeladas15
Talker
Talker

Post by Tilzeladas15 »

Yeah I agree they are bad with money but I also don't believe Colby makes as much money as Jamie says he does... definitely not enough for them to be "upper middle class"

PokeitPokeit
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PokeitPokeit »

"Upper midlle class" would be able to pay their 15 000 in student debt in a couple of months of effort (or better yet sooner than that from their upper middle class savings).

She is clueless. She doesn't understand how insurance works and her fans that actually ask her about finances probably share the same brain cell that Jen's(Organized like Jen) fans share and they are using all the brain power to figure out how to cut soap.

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

PokeitPokeit wrote:"Upper midlle class" would be able to pay their 15 000 in student debt in a couple of months of effort (or better yet sooner than that from their upper middle class savings).

She is clueless. She doesn't understand how insurance works and her fans that actually ask her about finances probably share the same brain cell that Jen's(Organized like Jen) fans share and they are using all the brain power to figure out how to cut soap.
That is the bit that shocks me. There are really knowledgeable finance experts all over the web and people genuinely go to Jamie for advice. I mean, how dumb can people get?! I really wonder whether Jamie has even thought what they are going to do if those cats get ill or injured? It makes me think they are really not mature enough to have a baby if that is an example of their decision making.

PokeitPokeit
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PokeitPokeit »

loopyloo wrote: I really wonder whether Jamie has even thought what they are going to do if those cats get ill or injured? It makes me think they are really not mature enough to have a baby if that is an example of their decision making.
My bet is put the cat down because they didn't budget for a sick cat. :|

Bluel
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Bluel »

Apparently deer ate their tomatoes and she's "so upset" according to her facebook. Guess the all knowing Jamie never heard of getting cages to go around plants. I'm sure this life altering event just ruined her whole day. Smh. She comes off so selfish all the time. She really needs to think twice before posting things.

Tilzeladas15
Talker
Talker

Post by Tilzeladas15 »

Bluel wrote:Apparently deer ate their tomatoes and she's "so upset" according to her facebook. Guess the all knowing Jamie never heard of getting cages to go around plants. I'm sure this life altering event just ruined her whole day. Smh. She comes off so selfish all the time. She really needs to think twice before posting things.
Exactly!!! Hey Jamie I know you're reading this... Maybe you should think about the fact that the Facebook page should be treated more as a business environment for your etsy store and YouTube and not as a personal rant page. Just trying to help you out.

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

Bluel wrote:Apparently deer ate their tomatoes and she's "so upset" according to her facebook. Guess the all knowing Jamie never heard of getting cages to go around plants. I'm sure this life altering event just ruined her whole day. Smh. She comes off so selfish all the time. She really needs to think twice before posting things.
Gardening is clearly not for her if she is "so upset". I think losing part of your crop is pretty much par for the course in gardening whether it is birds or animals eating your crop, early frost or other weather issues or disease.

alexandriablue
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by alexandriablue »

What was Jamie's major and did she actually graduate college?

Also Jamie would be the most annoying coworker if she had a real job. I am sure she would act so snotty and condescending toward everyone.

DipDipDipMyBlueShip
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

alexandriablue wrote:What was Jamie's major and did she actually graduate college?

Also Jamie would be the most annoying coworker if she had a real job. I am sure she would act so snotty and condescending toward everyone.
Psychology and yea she graduated, she went to an actual college (meaning with a campus) first and then switched to an online school. But she did graduate. She was an elementary education major and then she switched to psychology, but I don't think she realised that psychology is something you need a masters degree or PhD for if you actually want to work properly in the sector. By the time she graduated I'm pretty sure she was already playing house with Colby and was content to not have to work anymore.

As for getting a psychology job in Morgantown,

RETIRED MODERATOR

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

Did she ever say why she switched to an online degree? My first degree was in sociology with a bit of psychology and I think these subjects really benefit from face to face teaching and seminars. Yes, you can debate with fellow students online, but I think psychology is a subject where it really helps to build RL relationships with your profs and fellow students.

I don't understand why they didn't choose a place to live where they could both get work. You never know what could happen in the future. Maybe Jamie might need to work if Colby cannot or might change her mind about a career. I have moved around a fair bit and I have always thought about different future scenarios. I would never choose to live somewhere where either I or an other half could not use our prior education/experience.

PokeitPokeit
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PokeitPokeit »

loopyloo wrote: I would never choose to live somewhere where either I or an other half could not use our prior education/experience.
To be fair I think places where you can get a job with only a Bachelor in Psychology in the field.

bbgorilla
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by bbgorilla »

They didn't move to a place like that because she never planned on actually working. If she was actually motivated to work in that field she wouldn't just sit around all day. She'd be out looking for work.

Return to “Jamie's Simple Life”