StonerLikeJen Part 67

Noelle
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: StonerLikeJen Part 67

Post by Noelle »

Finally finished skimming the whole conference post. (Thank you again, Lipstick Jungle, for always highlighting the best parts, and in a way that really emphasizes the WTFness of it all. :lol:)

So Jen is upset that someone was "skeptical" of her brand and blog. And yet we have seen no fewer than 11 million times that Jen is confused about what kind of OCC she wants to be. She doesn't just share this with us, she hammers it home. It couldn't possibly be that the woman is good at her job and can sense the uncertainty Jen has about her own brand? No. She's just a meanie head.

"It’s rather off-putting to be talking to someone who obviously doesn’t want to talk to you." - Jennifer Ross

Said every person that's ever left you a comment or watched one of your vlogs when you were in a bad mood.

"The party was attended by very pretty people in very pretty clothes, which was a real theme of the conference."

First, LOL. Second, this is very subtext-y. I feel like Jen was trying to go all feminist on us.

The last place I would want to try and mingle is a conference where women carry balls of fluff and call it wearable art. But I don't sign up for style conferences. Jen did. What did she expect? More speeches about "You Are AWESOME!"?

See, she used to call her style casual and comfortable. Those I'm fine with. Suddenly she's classic? And not just that *she* is classic -- it's also the other way around. Classic style is a sub-division of Jen Enterprises. When people see a quilted bag or a tweed jacket, they say, "Hey, she's wearing The Jen!"

I know, I know. Save it for the recap.

family_vacation_home
Learner
Learner

Post by family_vacation_home »

I'm surprised she mentioned the World Market meeting not going well, but not surprised at the way she talked about it. Especially the part about how they asked to meet her, not the other way around. God forbid anyone think she'd insinuate herself into a situation where she didn't fit in. No no, the other people wanted her there, but this one mean lady wasn't nice and was probably just jealous. Or jenlous.

tara incognita
Informer
Informer

Post by tara incognita »

Bwahahahaha, did Jen's rebranding company get her placed in the NON-GURU section?
:gj:
lipstick jungle wrote:
I attended the rewardStyle conference last weekend in Dallas, Texas, which is where the company is headquartered. If you’re unfamiliar, rewardStyle is an affiliate networking company with “a suite of tools that allow top tier style publishers to monetize their entire digital brand.” Basically, being a rewardStyle publisher allows me to earn an income from my blog through the use of affiliate links. I’m personally not a big fan of those splashy (and flashy) Google Adsense and similar ads that some other bloggers use. I find them distracting (which they’re meant to be so you’ll click on them) and generally annoying. I understand why people use them, as there aren’t many ways for bloggers to generate income from their efforts. I am grateful that rewardStyle allows me to monetize my blog on my own terms and within my own aesthetic. I am never showing readers an ad for something I don’t 100% genuinely recommend and all of my affiliate links are intentionally included by me, not some third party. In short, it’s an awesome service and I was very excited to see what the conference would be like.
Please be advised that some of the links provided are affiliate links and I do receive a small commission if you make a purchase using those links. This does not cost you any extra when you make a purchase. I very much appreciate your support of this blog in doing so!
The final party was hosted by rewardStyle as a one year birthday celebration of their innovative LIKEtoKNOW.it tool at the Continental Bridge. (I changed the font color here, tara.)
I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this conference. In all honesty, I was surprised I was even invited since, as I mentioned before, I didn’t really fit the mold. I decided to sign up mostly because I was curious. Yes, I am a rewardStyle publisher, but I haven’t put a whole lot of time or thought into that aspect of my content. I appreciate it as a convenient tool that allows me to monetize my blog in my own way with 100% control over what readers see. Those flashy Google Adsense ads are not my style and I suppose I’m a bit snooty (?) about that when it comes to my website (I completely understand and appreciate why other people use them, it’s just not my thing). I want readers to be able to see my content, not the ads, but I’d also like to earn an income from my efforts. RewardStyle allows me to do that with simple hyperlinks and low key widgets that I can seamlessly fit into my content. I never want you as a reader to feel like I’m constantly trying to push things onto you to sell stuff, because that is not the point of my sharing. I attended the conference hoping to learn how to better integrate this service into my blog for a more content and user friendly experience. I picked up some great tips that will help me with not only that but better site optimization (think faster, easier to find content) as well.
/size][/b] As someone who uses affiliate links in my content, I hope this is reassuring to you as a reader in that you know I do not link things just to make a sale on the latest hot thing. I link things I genuinely want to share. What you see on my blog and YouTube channel is 100% genuine (“Jenuine” ) me. I share because I want to, not to make a buck. But I don’t think it’s so wrong to also earn an income from my efforts. RewardStyle helps me do that in a way that feels authentic to me.
I've read the whole rscon section over at GOMI. Here's something everyone may LIKEtoKNOW: clicking rs affiliate links places a cookie on your computer that sends commissions to the blogger from all of your purchases made at the site (not just the item linked) until that cookie expires or is replaced. It's hard to find out how long they sit and stay active, exactly, it can be weeks or even months.

This is definitely not disclosed even by Jenuinely honest, authentic rs publishers like Jen.

Also, did you know that the affiliate linked shopping commision for some sites like Nordstrom can be as high as 20%?

Fuck that noise. The retail worker who has to hussle to ring up my shoes in person makes less than 5%.

Jen may have come up with her own thread title here: "innovative LIKEtoKNOW.it tool like Jen"

Or how about: LIKEtoKNOWitALLlikeJen?

wickedknotty
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wickedknotty »

I thought she sounded very judgy with "theme cocktails were a major theme to the conference." Or they are fun and a cool way to put your stamp on your party.

But Jen is no better than anyone else. Just different. And Jenuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattressCrowSoapJar
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by MattressCrowSoapJar »

family_vacation_home wrote:I'm surprised she mentioned the World Market meeting not going well, but not surprised at the way she talked about it. Especially the part about how they asked to meet her, not the other way around. God forbid anyone think she'd insinuate herself into a situation where she didn't fit in. No no, the other people wanted her there, but this one mean lady wasn't nice and was probably just jealous. Or jenlous.
She's hoping her minions will be inspired Jenspired to boycott the World Market meanies. Power to the people!

family_vacation_home
Learner
Learner

tara incognita wrote:Bwahahahaha, did Jen's rebranding company get her placed in the NON-GURU section?
:gj:
I can't tell you how long it took me to find her thread. I thought, oh no, I finally joined up to talk about her and they took away her posts. lol

LouisVweetton
Learner
Learner

Post by LouisVweetton »

Has Jen always used the word hubby? She's been using it a lot lately and I don't remember her using it before. I can't stand the word so it always sticks out like a sore thumb to me, lol :?

Spankme
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Spankme »

I use it a lot lol.
But I don't remember Jen using it much. She always would just call him Don. She's probably copying someone again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noelle
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Noelle »

Hello again, evildoers. Glad we are back.

I don't recall much use of "hubby". She's always been more of a "mister" fan. They both displease me.

I wonder if Jen would be insulted that she isn't considered a guru or thrilled that someone thinks she has "personality".

family_vacation_home
Learner
Learner

Jen looks so much happier in her haul video than she did during the conference. She was so out of her element there. Even though she said her social anxiety is much better, it seemed so evident in that video. Although it's a huge step for her to be doing these trips and going to conferences on her own, so I do give her some credit for that.

But style is not her niche. She needs to go to the conferences that are a good fit for her "brand". Whatever that turns out to be.

wickedknotty
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wickedknotty »

Time for a beauty haul, guys!! Jen had no choice, she had a coupon!

DipDipDipMyBlueShip
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DipDipDipMyBlueShip »

Honorary Melissa wrote:Also, this is kind of mean, but I'm glad Jen got taken down a peg and will throughly research and think about conferences before going now. Just because she had a good time at Alt Summit, she thought every conference would be like that and she could go to all of them to play business lady. Then she went to this one and quickly realized it's not for her and she really shouldn't have bothered going. She even admitted it was for fashion bloggers, and not youtubers. She got way too confident and cocky after Alt Summit and thought she would be travelling the country as Jennifer Ross, Business Woman. :roll: She went on and on about her leather tote of choice for meetings and conferences, and just got way too into it. Why does she need to go to all the conferences anyway? One a year is enough. And something specifically related to what she does.
Yay, GG is back :)

I started to feel bad for Jen in the video, but then had the same thoughts as what you wrote in this paragraph. She 100% believed that because she bought the "things" that business ladies use, she was now totally fit for a business life. That's just not how it works. She needs to give up that angle of her rebranding, it's obviously not working.
RETIRED MODERATOR

Fat Shark
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Fat Shark »

Yay we're back! I'm happier than Ron Swanson at a breakfast buffet!

I've been waiting all day to post some gifs. Image

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

MattressCrowSoapJar
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by MattressCrowSoapJar »

She feels loved and gives Don the "best hubby award" (ick) because he brought her flowers. Nevermind that he pays her mortgage, pays for her endless trips, supports her shopping addiction, cooks her dinner every night and apparently expects her to contribute NOTHING in return.

Princess LushBomb
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Princess LushBomb »

Why does she look so shiny in that gif? How about throwing some powder, blotting sheets, mineral veil, something into her walking pharmacy to control that oil. Ugh I'm sure she has all of those items. Lol

Glad GG is back up. But I finally had time to catch up on Bates Motel. :tu: and Noelle thanks for the reference to the best show ever! <3

And I would never use an affiliate link. No way no how!
"Did you all take stupid pills this morning?" credit given to Mr. Potato Head

Winnie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Winnie »

tara incognita wrote:Jen may have come up with her own thread title here: "innovative LIKEtoKNOW.it tool like Jen"

Or how about: LIKEtoKNOWitALLlikeJen?
Or just ToolLikeJen. ;)

I suspect her inclusion of "Jenuine" in that post was a super subtle hint at her rebranding. Because, you know, she's an Original Content Creator™ and that pun is extremely clever and has never been used before. The next thread should be called JenuineLikeJen so we can beat her to the punch. :twisted:
Princess LushBomb wrote:Why does she look so shiny in that gif? How about throwing some powder, blotting sheets, mineral veil, something into her walking pharmacy to control that oil. Ugh I'm sure she has all of those items. Lol
All the blotting sheets in the world couldn't clean up that oil spill on her face. I think it's time to send in the National Guard.

OtherwiseKnownAsWIR

Post by OtherwiseKnownAsWIR »

I just watched the beauty haul...

"How wasteful" she says of the Nails Inc packaging...

Says the woman who just purged $1000s worth of nail polish she barely wore.

Cardboard is recyclable, nail polish is not.

FLOSSY77
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by FLOSSY77 »

I couldn't find you guys. Now I feel like a LOST character after a hike. Reunited and it feels soo good. Lock says hello. :D

OtherwiseKnownAsWIR

Post by OtherwiseKnownAsWIR »

FLOSSY77 wrote:I couldn't find you guys. Now I feel like a LOST character after a hike. Reunited and it feels soo good. Lock says hello. :D
That's exactly how I felt. I've been in a dungeon typing 4,8,15,16,23 and 42 into a computer repeatedly to try to get the system up.

I hear SchneckAche and Lipstick Jungle are on Penny's boat.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

forever wrote:
Did anyone notice Jen's thread is under "Non-Guru"? Will Jen get offended?? :hee:
I kept refreshing "Trash a Guru" for AGES before finally thinking "Oh, maybe they moved her elsewhere." I figured she'd just gotten misplaced in the chaos of the issues the board seems to have been having lately.

So I guess getting a little camera in your swag is nice but.....I wouldn't have been all that excited to get that stuff? To me the majority of it just looks like cheap somewhat cute crap. Which is of course exactly why Jen loved it.

But I also just want to add again that I would feel SO BAD for her if she actually recognized this as a problem she wanted to correct. I did literally the exact same thing at the one conference I went to so far. I hid in my room, I skipped out on evening social events (although honestly for me part of it was that I really truly DON'T drink, and I wasn't sure how awkward it would be to be completely sober with a bunch of drunk biologists) and stayed in my room. I even ditched the regular afternoon meetings one of the days and went shopping and proceeded to blow almost $200 on some Patagonia stuff on sale in an outdoorsy shop I found. Yeah it was 40% off, but I really didn't need to spend that much money on 5 pieces of clothing when I already have so much workout stuff. I'm well acquainted with the feeling of thinking that something is going to be amazing and you're going to meet people and do awesome stuff, then getting there and not knowing how to approach all the cliquey little groups and then feeling shy and self-conscious. But.....I just felt like shit. I didn't pat myself on the back for staying true to myself. I felt awful that I couldn't manage to be capable of regular human interaction for a few hours a day. And Jen just refuses to really try to improve herself.

EDIT: and is it just me or is it really unprofessional how she talks about ALL OF THIS. Not just the incident with the World Market rep, but the whole point of her social media presence should be to convey an image of herself. And breaking down exactly what she's been told to do as a businessperson makes her pretty much the least effective businessperson ever. I guess her viewers have always typically been more practical housewives than dreamy women who want to escape to the world of pristine white "zen" setups a la pinksofoxy's latest obsession, but as soon as someone starts posting to me about everything that goes on in making their content (not to mention the fact that she posts more about what goes into her content than she posts actual content), that experience of living vicariously and being at the point where you could sell me on things because I'm imagining myself having your covetable lifestyle is gone.

Return to “Pretty Neat Living”