Must37
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Carrie Grope Fletcher and the Echo Chamber of Praise - Part 16

Post by Must37 »

Someone did it! *waits to see response*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by Guest »

2TinyPanthers wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:12 am
pintsizednightmare wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:02 am
MysteryGuest wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:38 pm
Fully convinced that Karen is going to Broadway. She’s mentioned this is massive, and the whole illusion of “I think we’re not in Kansas” must mean it’s something pretty huge even for her standards. Cinderella seems very likely, I think. Still only a workshop for the moment though, so a Broadway debut is probably a loooooong way off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, definitely not far off - from what ALW said, it'll be on Broadway within a year, so if she is in it, her debut is pretty much imminent. Since nothing really has been announced this is all speculation, but it could well take over from Waitress – that closes in January. Depending on how far along they are with planning, and assuming it's straight to Broadway, that'd be a January opening which would very much fit in with other commitments.

As for her being Cinderella – I didn't see the workshop, but from what I know it's a retelling with a focus on the prince, who turns out to be gay. So our heteroflexible Karen could claim to be in an LGBT musical at the same time... (please imagine an astronomical, full-body eyeroll here)
A shitty musical starring Carrie opening in January... yeah, sounds like a recipe for success /s

Broadway is tanking this year so I don't see any show that isn't a blockbuster having any success that time of year.
Wow, slightly off-topic, this video talks about how Broadway is tanking this year:

When will we find out about the thing Carrie is alluding to?

miiday
Learner
Learner

Post by miiday »

I know it was said that breaking an embargo isn't always severely looked down upon, but surely it can't be a positive thing if Carrie is hinting at something on sm to her fans, who are likely to go digging and possibly find out what it is. It's the whole "technically I didn't tell you if you guessed it".

Let's say it is actually Cinderella on Broadway, loads of people are already speculating it, as we are. I know nothing about the business side of theatre, so how would her employers feel about that? She's been embargoed, but is screaming off on twt and her fans are guessing it anyway. Carrie's not an idiot either, people found her house and she reads here from time to time so she knows what we speculate about, even that theatre board has been saying the same thing, she knows what she's doing by hinting it. I feel like essentially she's trying to bypass the embargo (again if it is Cinderella on Broadway).

So many actors have to keep roles or plots secret and say they can't even tell their friends, and I've never seen them going off on twt, so why does Carrie have such a hard time? I don't massively follow Colleen Ballinger, but I do know she'll be in Waitress on Broadway for a little bit; does anyone know if she was able to keep quiet about it?
Last edited by miiday on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

2TinyPanthers
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by 2TinyPanthers »

Helianthus1567 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:33 am
Going with the Harry Potter thread theme, how about:

Carrie Nope Fletcher and The Prisoner of Stunt Casting?
I'm a fan!

Or possibly "Carrie Mope Fletcher and the Prisoner of Self-Obsession"? "Prisoner of Vagueness"? "Princess of Freebie Grifting"? (ngl that last one is my fave)

I wouldn't call her a prisoner of stunt casting - she's an active proponent lol.

2TinyPanthers
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by 2TinyPanthers »

emmer_mo wrote:
2TinyPanthers wrote:
MysteryGuest wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:38 pm
Fully convinced that Karen is going to Broadway. She’s mentioned this is massive, and the whole illusion of “I think we’re not in Kansas” must mean it’s something pretty huge even for her standards. Cinderella seems very likely, I think. Still only a workshop for the moment though, so a Broadway debut is probably a loooooong way off?

Oh, definitely not far off - from what ALW said, it'll be on Broadway within a year, so if she is in it, her debut is pretty much imminent. Since nothing really has been announced this is all speculation, but it could well take over from Waitress – that closes in January. Depending on how far along they are with planning, and assuming it's straight to Broadway, that'd be a January opening which would very much fit in with other commitments.

As for her being Cinderella – I didn't see the workshop, but from what I know it's a retelling with a focus on the prince, who turns out to be gay. So our heteroflexible Karen could claim to be in an LGBT musical at the same time... (please imagine an astronomical, full-body eyeroll here)
A shitty musical starring Carrie opening in January... yeah, sounds like a recipe for success /s

Broadway is tanking this year so I don't see any show that isn't a blockbuster having any success that time of year.
Wow, slightly off-topic, this video talks about how Broadway is tanking this year:

When will we find out about the thing Carrie is alluding to?
Yup, that's what I saw! The article is a really interesting read if you're interested in finance.

iammoonmoon
Talker
Talker

Post by iammoonmoon »

2TinyPanthers wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:52 am
Helianthus1567 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:33 am
Going with the Harry Potter thread theme, how about:

Carrie Nope Fletcher and The Prisoner of Stunt Casting?
I'm a fan!

Or possibly "Carrie Mope Fletcher and the Prisoner of Self-Obsession"? "Prisoner of Vagueness"? "Princess of Freebie Grifting"? (ngl that last one is my fave)

I wouldn't call her a prisoner of stunt casting - she's an active proponent lol.
Lmfao “Prisoner of Self-Obsession” gets my vote :rofl:
Excuse typos I’m probably on mobile

Post by Guest »

I think something Freebie related is definitely very on brand for her now lol

pintsizednightmare
Learner
Learner

Post by pintsizednightmare »

miiday wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:29 am
I know it was said that breaking an embargo isn't always severely looked down upon, but surely it can't be a positive thing if Carrie is hinting at something on sm to her fans, who are likely to go digging and possibly find out what it is. It's the whole "technically I didn't tell you if you guessed it".

Let's say it is actually Cinderella on Broadway, loads of people are already speculating it, as we are. I know nothing about the business side of theatre, so how would her employers feel about that? She's been embargoed, but is screaming off on twt and her fans are guessing it anyway. Carrie's not an idiot either, people found her house and she reads here from time to time so she knows what we speculate about, even that theatre board has been saying the same thing, she knows what she's doing by hinting it. I feel like essentially she's trying to bypass the embargo (again if it is Cinderella on Broadway).

So many actors have to keep roles or plots secret and say they can't even tell their friends, and I've never seen them going off on twt, so why does Carrie have such a hard time? I don't massively follow Colleen Ballinger, but I do know she'll be in Waitress on Broadway for a little bit; does anyone know if she was able to keep quiet about it?
Ah, yes and no!

The thing is, she started hinting at it after the GMB interview – which, essentially, broke the embargo (if there was one, which might not (yet) have been the case). It might have been an exclusive, it might have not been, maybe they're just trying to slip it in; there are so many ways to go about it.

You ARE right in saying it's not necessarily a positive thing. Little sidestory: The people who habitually break embargoes (or leak things) are usually people with an almost untouchable standing - see Baz Bamigboye at the Daily Mail, who is so well connected he can get away with anything. In all fairness, he also does very good work, to put mildly, and is just connected in a way few people are. When a far 'lower' journalist broke the news of Jake Gyllenhaal taking Sunday in the Park with George to London next year, he got far more stick for it, including the PR contacting him and all – although he insists he didn't break an embargo but rather did some digging and just found things. Probably got a tip-off, too, but he still had stuff to back up all his claims.

To this day I don't understand why theatre is so lenient; in publishing, embargoes are sometimes so strict that you can be fined HEFTILY for putting out copies of a new release too early, for example.

Back to Carrie: That's ignoring the fact that they might want her to hint at it, which is possible, or just don't mind as long as she herself doesn't say the words 'I'll be in Cinderella on Broadway'. In fact, even if she isn't going to be in it and all, the whole speculation is keeping it low-level talked about which is akin to building a bit of buzz; that's good, because it could be used as a 'see, people are talking about it', for whichever need may arise.

Even if it's a problem and she is treading the line, the only way that woman is ever going to learn is if she does stuff like this and ends up NOT getting a thing or a show falling through entirely.

(As for Colleen, I think she did, but I also think the Waitress contracts are really strict – see how long it took Lucie Jones to be announced, and announce herself, as joining the West End cast. Everyone knew; it was an open secret, especially as she sang a song or two from the show at a concert, but the embargo was there and nobody could break it.)

miiday
Learner
Learner

Post by miiday »

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:04 am
miiday wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:29 am

Ah, yes and no!

The thing is, she started hinting at it after the GMB interview – which, essentially, broke the embargo (if there was one, which might not (yet) have been the case). It might have been an exclusive, it might have not been, maybe they're just trying to slip it in; there are so many ways to go about it.

You ARE right in saying it's not necessarily a positive thing. Little sidestory: The people who habitually break embargoes (or leak things) are usually people with an almost untouchable standing - see Baz Bamigboye at the Daily Mail, who is so well connected he can get away with anything. In all fairness, he also does very good work, to put mildly, and is just connected in a way few people are. When a far 'lower' journalist broke the news of Jake Gyllenhaal taking Sunday in the Park with George to London next year, he got far more stick for it, including the PR contacting him and all – although he insists he didn't break an embargo but rather did some digging and just found things. Probably got a tip-off, too, but he still had stuff to back up all his claims.

To this day I don't understand why theatre is so lenient; in publishing, embargoes are sometimes so strict that you can be fined HEFTILY for putting out copies of a new release too early, for example.

Back to Carrie: That's ignoring the fact that they might want her to hint at it, which is possible, or just don't mind as long as she herself doesn't say the words 'I'll be in Cinderella on Broadway'. In fact, even if she isn't going to be in it and all, the whole speculation is keeping it low-level talked about which is akin to building a bit of buzz; that's good, because it could be used as a 'see, people are talking about it', for whichever need may arise.

Even if it's a problem and she is treading the line, the only way that woman is ever going to learn is if she does stuff like this and ends up NOT getting a thing or a show falling through entirely.

(As for Colleen, I think she did, but I also think the Waitress contracts are really strict – see how long it took Lucie Jones to be announced, and announce herself, as joining the West End cast. Everyone knew; it was an open secret, especially as she sang a song or two from the show at a concert, but the embargo was there and nobody could break it.)

Ah okay thanks! I think I get that! I hadn't even heard of the word before so thanks for explaining it a bit more. I didn't think about if they had asked her to hint at stuff, but then again it's ALW so I would understand if that was actually the case.

With regards to generating buzz for it though, I don't really see that. Again, if it is Cinderella on Broadway then there are so many other ways to actually get attention: an actress that's relevant to Broadway or America in general, not a youtuber and social media influencer who publishes her petty venting as "novels" and is really problematic online. But I guess it is getting attention, just not really by many who will actually be able to see the show.

OT but I had completely forgotten about Sunday in the Park with George coming to West End and I'm so excited. I love the show, and I've always wanted to see Annaleigh Ashford perform and I love Jake Gyllenhaal so 😊

Toothy
Learner
Learner

Post by Toothy »

Having Carrie’s name mentioned by Mollie in her Instagram 10k story and someone else bellowing “New York” kind of gives a hint that the reason she had to miss out is because she’s out of the country too. Also the...sshhhuuuushhh! *subtle* ;)

Post by Guest »

the most recent foot picture looks like it was taken in a hotel. is she IN nyc?

Illogic_ally
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Illogic_ally »

Toothy wrote:Having Carrie’s name mentioned by Mollie in her Instagram 10k story and someone else bellowing “New York” kind of gives a hint that the reason she had to miss out is because she’s out of the country too. Also the...sshhhuuuushhh! *subtle* ;)
Why would you post that story if you were worried it was giving away something that you weren’t supposed to? I mean, Instagram stories aren’t live, so they realize that you can just... not post them?

pineapple626
Learner
Learner

Post by pineapple626 »

Anyone seen the theatre cafe have just shared a video of her singing on my own from when she was there last week. God damn it really really proves how bad her vocals have got. It sounds awful. I used to love her singing this and now this snippet of her singing it I had to turn it off after a few seconds because I couldn’t stand it, hearing the strain in her voice when she belts or hits the high notes is horrible.

Toothy
Learner
Learner

Post by Toothy »

Who did this?? :rofl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

[12g34]
Learner
Learner

Post by [12g34] »

Does anyone else think that the other princess and the pea photo makes her face look really dirty? Like something is just really off as well, maybe it's the facial expression? I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with it but it looks bad

[12g34]
Learner
Learner

Post by [12g34] »

pineapple626 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:33 am
Anyone seen the theatre cafe have just shared a video of her singing on my own from when she was there last week. God damn it really really proves how bad her vocals have got. It sounds awful. I used to love her singing this and now this snippet of her singing it I had to turn it off after a few seconds because I couldn’t stand it, hearing the strain in her voice when she belts or hits the high notes is horrible.

Wow. I love the effort and emotion she put into this performance - NOT. Can't believe she just stood still with her arms by her side for the duration of the performance, especially when you consider that she sang this song for years?? Lmao

itsalice
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by itsalice »

[12g34] wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:43 am
Does anyone else think that the other princess and the pea photo makes her face look really dirty? Like something is just really off as well, maybe it's the facial expression? I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with it but it looks bad
Yes, I thought so too! Glad it wasn't just me. For some reason I thought it had one of those old filters over her face even, hardly recognized her. I think it may be the way her forehead seems raised? Or just bad lighting, no idea.

(Also hello, long time lurker.)

MysteryGuest
Talker
Talker

Post by MysteryGuest »

xoxofranky wrote:the most recent foot picture looks like it was taken in a hotel. is she IN nyc?
Yeah I think she could be in NYC!

Ellie1003
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Ellie1003 »

Lol @ the girl doing the music in the Theatre Cafe video just flicking through her phone.

Carrie’s intonation of the lyrics is so frustrating. It not an easy listen at all.

miiday
Learner
Learner

Post by miiday »

pineapple626 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:33 am

Yikes. That was bad. It's really sad how much her voice has worsened. I just watched a few videos of her when she was Eponine singing it and she was so good. Not my fave by a long way, but her voice was so pleasant to listen to and she could hit the notes so well. But now I have to turn the volume down and it's painful.

That being said, and it's just a personal preference, but I had always hated how she sang "only been pretending". The emphasis on "PREtending" had always irked me, and at the time I hadn't come across anyone who sang it that way (if anyone else does please let me know!). It felt to me like she was trying to force that to stand out vocally, as opposed to letting it flow. At the time I thought "oh she's focusing more on the vocals than the emotion", but it never bothered me much. But here I am, 4 years later, realising it's a recurring theme.

Return to “Carrie Hope Fletcher”