Glitterature videos

OfficialSarah
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Glitterature videos

Post by OfficialSarah »

I have to be honest: I own about 80% of the books on her book list as well and loved/love them all. Yes, they might be YA literature but hey, at least she's reading. You wouldn't imagine how many people are not touching any kind of book as soon as they get out of school. I am even older than Elle and in Grad school for Economics - and I don't feel bad at all for reading this kind of "literature" (and I have read Lord of the Flies and Brave New World in school - both in English even though I am not a native English speaker) and I prefer it to other stuff. I love me my chick reads and some crime books (Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell) and I am perfectly happy with that. Tastes are different so just let her read what she feels like - reading stops being fun when you force yourself to read something you don't like.

Emerald
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Emerald »

Here's a new video.

[youtube][/youtube]

Batila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Batila »

^That was probably my least favorite glitterature she's ever done. The review was all over the place.

Has anyone here ever read the books she reviews? I bought the maze runner when she first reviewed it and shiver other than that nothing else.

xxkath
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by xxkath »

I bought the maze runner, the hunger games and divergent. I enjoyed all of them.
This gliterature was a little rambly considering she only really covered the first chapter or so of the story but it does sound like an interesting story. If I was really stuck for a book I would consider it.

Worldofchances2giveu
Informer
Informer

Post by Worldofchances2giveu »

Her Glitterature videos is what has kept me subbed to her side channel and always made me like her videos more than her sister's. But i didn't really like her most recent review, it was little to all over the place for my tastes.

Arielle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arielle »

Batila wrote:^That was probably my least favorite glitterature she's ever done. The review was all over the place.

Has anyone here ever read the books she reviews? I bought the maze runner when she first reviewed it and shiver other than that nothing else.
Okay I love fairy tale retellings, so after watching her video I immediately downloaded the eBook for Cruel Beauty. I finished it in less than 2 days, and while I enjoyed the story, I don't blame her at all for the jumbled review. The book has several confusing parts and if you watch some other YT reviews on it, Elle & I are not the only ones who think so. The author needs to work on the world-building, as well as the scenes leading up to the conclusion. There's a bit of action/magic stuff happening and it's really difficult to understand what's happening because there's so many details being thrown out there at once. I've read other reviews on Goodreads from people who agree with me on this.

Other books I've bought and/or read because of her reviews: The Eye of Minds, The Darkest Minds (all 3 books that are currently out), Divergent trilogy, The White Queen, Matched, Crossed, Entwined, Splintered (I can't find the video where she mentioned this, but I am sure I heard about this book from her!), Unwind dystology.

Yes, I've read a lot of books that she's read because I'm interested in the same genres as she is. I've enjoyed all of them.

butreallyicant
Debater
Debater

Post by butreallyicant »

ETA with letting her read what she wants... Most of the books I read are about sex or drugs.... nothing profound. I spend 90% of my life reading scholarly books... I want to read trash when I can too!

I'm going to look into Cruel Beauty even though its different than what I usually grab for.

devilishtenshi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by devilishtenshi »

I'd love her to do one on Allegiant as I'm sure she read it. That book broke my heart.... And was a horrible ending to the trilogy in so many ways. I don't know what the hell happened to the storyline there. It made little sense. Such a shame since Divergent may be one of my favorite books! I want to know her opinion. I'm curious.

Emerald
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Emerald »

You guys probably already seen the video, but I'll still put it here.

[youtube][/youtube]

Arielle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arielle »

[youtube][/youtube]

BooRadley17
Learner
Learner

Post by BooRadley17 »

Off that list I've only read The Secret Garden, as well as the Sophie Kinsella books during an embarrassing chick-lit phase I went through. I think it's great that she's interested in and promoting books though. With all this crap technology we have now it's easy to forget that the wonderful world of literature still exists, especially if you live in the kind of universe Elle and Blair are in.

al218
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by al218 »

Her agents hook her up with the books. Why can't she promote books the kids are reading in school? Classic literature that is being lost by Tween frill. Oh right, no money.

xxkath
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by xxkath »

al218 wrote:Her agents hook her up with the books. Why can't she promote books the kids are reading in school? Classic literature that is being lost by Tween frill. Oh right, no money.
Or maybe she just doesn't like those kinds of books.

BooRadley17
Learner
Learner

Post by BooRadley17 »

xxkath wrote:
al218 wrote:Her agents hook her up with the books. Why can't she promote books the kids are reading in school? Classic literature that is being lost by Tween frill. Oh right, no money.
Or maybe she just doesn't like those kinds of books.
Agreed. Reading is great no matter what book it is and it's kind of douchey to judge people for what kind of literature they enjoy... and this is coming from a huge fan of the classics.

PHAIL
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PHAIL »

I didn't like those books when I was actually IN school, and I don't think I'd like them now either. In fact I know I wouldn't because I've tried reading some over again and they were still as terrible as the first time. I stand by my thinking that Catcher In the Rye is the worst book ever written. Everyone has different tastes. I do think she should expand her horizons but I have difficulty going after someone who actually reads when it's becoming a lost art nowadays.

Return to “Elle Fowler”