GuruGossiper15
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DreamingInBlush.com - Elle's New Blog

Post by GuruGossiper15 »

fossilfinger wrote:
Nadezhda wrote:I don't see how it's pretentious? It's a common word that we say on a daily basis.. It's like criticising someone for saying "during" or something. It doesn't make sense to me.
Because it's not natural to say while you're talking if you were born and raised in the US. She only says it in writing to try to sound more intelligent, and you can tell. That's why it sounds pretentious in her blog.
You don't say whilst in the US? What do you say instead?

Boo
Informer
Informer

Post by Boo »

GuruGossiper15 wrote:
fossilfinger wrote:
Nadezhda wrote:I don't see how it's pretentious? It's a common word that we say on a daily basis.. It's like criticising someone for saying "during" or something. It doesn't make sense to me.
Because it's not natural to say while you're talking if you were born and raised in the US. She only says it in writing to try to sound more intelligent, and you can tell. That's why it sounds pretentious in her blog.
You don't say whilst in the US? What do you say instead?
While. I'm from the US and I've never heard anyone say whilst out loud, I've only seen it in older books.
BOO

Boo
Informer
Informer

Post by Boo »

Sorry to double post, but I think Elle uses that word frequently because she thinks it adds to her "whimsical" vibe.
BOO

oxprincessxo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oxprincessxo »

I have never met anyone who says whilst once a month, let alone once a day... Maybe it's a regional thing. Not to mention I don't recall her saying it in videos as frequently as she writes it in blog posts.

Lumi
Informer
Informer

Post by Lumi »

I definitely remember her saying whilst at least once in a video. She does use while a lot more though.

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evolve »

I say and write 'whilst' and I live in the US. Sometimes it just sounds better in a sentence.

onceuponadecember
Informer
Informer

Post by onceuponadecember »

Bella Dona wrote:
onceuponadecember wrote:the lamp that Elle has on the right sidebar of her iheartyoucoffee blog as one of her "home decor favorites" is $577.15 on sale from $679.00 and it is such a basic looking lamp. who would pay that much for a basic table lamp??!!?

Hi, how do you know the price? I have not visited her blog.

if you hover over the picture of the lamp it says how much it is

bspatrol
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bspatrol »

^Elle is such a tool.

paintmedance
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paintmedance »

Why does she need to name her condo "dollhouse" to keep from getting it confused with Blair's/her parents house? What's so confusing about "my condo"?

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evolve »

paintmedance wrote:Why does she need to name her condo "dollhouse" to keep from getting it confused with Blair's/her parents house? What's so confusing about "my condo"?
Yeah, I thought that was dumb. And it's really modern so dollhouse seems super weird. Maybe if it looked like a dollhouse, but it looks like a condo. I know it's confusing when you first move to be talking about moving from one place to another and getting straight which one you're talking about or especially when you move out of your parents' house and still think of it as yours, but that goes away. Eventually the only place you mean when you say "my house" or "my condo" or "my place" is the one place you live in. I kind of want to call my house the dollhouse to make fun of her now, but no one in real life would get it.

paintmedance
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paintmedance »

Evolve wrote:
paintmedance wrote:Why does she need to name her condo "dollhouse" to keep from getting it confused with Blair's/her parents house? What's so confusing about "my condo"?
Yeah, I thought that was dumb. And it's really modern so dollhouse seems super weird. Maybe if it looked like a dollhouse, but it looks like a condo. I know it's confusing when you first move to be talking about moving from one place to another and getting straight which one you're talking about or especially when you move out of your parents' house and still think of it as yours, but that goes away. Eventually the only place you mean when you say "my house" or "my condo" or "my place" is the one place you live in. I kind of want to call my house the dollhouse to make fun of her now, but no one in real life would get it.
I understand things can get confusing when you're between homes, I'm between flats and mix up my words sometimes. But for Elle, can't she just say "my condo", considering... she only has one condo? :|

magick-girl786
Talker
Talker

Post by magick-girl786 »

paintmedance wrote:
Evolve wrote:
I understand things can get confusing when you're between homes, I'm between flats and mix up my words sometimes. But for Elle, can't she just say "my condo", considering... she only has one condo? :|
because if she says condo, she'll probably think she's talking about Blair's condo ... even though she just said "my" and obviously Blair's condo is not "hers" ... yeah idk

Lumi
Informer
Informer

Post by Lumi »

She's doing a giveaway of the sponsored hair dryer from her July favourites video...

Ilsa Lund
Informer
Informer

Post by Ilsa Lund »

Nadezhda wrote:... People in the US don't say "whilst"? That's really weird. It's the same language so I don't see why not...
I think that's because people in the US are either the first generation to be born there or they just immigrated so they use really simple vocabulary and "whilst" seems very sophisticated to them. It's not a bad thing, it's just that they use basic words that everybody understands

MissCheetahPrint
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MissCheetahPrint »

She got defensive on her latest Kate Somerville blog post about people saying she looks old. I just found it humorous.

Lumi
Informer
Informer

Post by Lumi »

^ I was surprised she would say something like that.
The product works well – it goes on beautifully, sinks in quickly, and makes my skin feel baby smooth, but I’m just not sure it’s $150 worth of wonderful. Maybe if I was a bit older and really needed the anti-aging benefits, but for now I think other creams work better for my skin. Maybe if I had wrinkles to reduce the depth of, ya know? Cause that's cool. (And for those of you that are all “OMG you look SO OLD! You are aging so BADLY!” - Bah humbug to you. I’m sure you look like a rose.)

paintmedance
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paintmedance »

Lumi wrote:^ I was surprised she would say something like that.
The product works well – it goes on beautifully, sinks in quickly, and makes my skin feel baby smooth, but I’m just not sure it’s $150 worth of wonderful. Maybe if I was a bit older and really needed the anti-aging benefits, but for now I think other creams work better for my skin. Maybe if I had wrinkles to reduce the depth of, ya know? Cause that's cool. (And for those of you that are all “OMG you look SO OLD! You are aging so BADLY!” - Bah humbug to you. I’m sure you look like a rose.)
"Maybe if I had wrinkles to reduce the depth of!" You humble soul.

baconpancakes
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by baconpancakes »

She *totally* creeps here!!!

In her Kiels Avocado eye cream she was all:

"Hello, my name is Elle and my under-eyes are my problem area. Blame it on genetics; blame it on lack of sleep… whatever the excuse, I have them, and they are bad. They age me, they make me self-conscious, and they make me look constantly “worn out”. "

She called herself out :?

Plus, the eye area comments were pretty much ripped right from here, from posters who were debating if her eye problems were genetic or allergies or from sleep/diet.

She needs to stop coming here. Its lame.

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evolve »

No people comment stuff like that on her videos too.

Lumi
Informer
Informer

Post by Lumi »

I was surprised to find out that she doesn't edit her blog pictures at all. But then I started to think about it and it really isn't all that surprising — she's still using iPhoto and iMovie so she probably has no idea how to actually edit anything, which is all the more reason to give her credit for the nice-looking photos. She clearly knows her way around her lights and camera. It's weird though, I always find something to tweak even in my seemingly flawless-looking photos. :)

Return to “Elle Fowler”