Was her southern accent fake?

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Was her southern accent fake?

Post by white trash sparkles »

She doesn't have it anymore, she seems to speak GenAm pretty much with no sign of a drawl. I wonder if it was a fake accent to come across as "charming"?

clandestine
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Was her southern accent fake?

Post by clandestine »

She has lived in LA for awhile now. Its really not uncommon for people to lose their accent or for it to change.

PHAIL
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PHAIL »

No. She and Elle purposely learned to speak without it.

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

PHAIL wrote:No. She and Elle purposely learned to speak without it.
Accent reduction?

oceanic
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by oceanic »

I don't think they had accents to begin with. I live farther south than they do and I don't have an accent. Kingsport seems like a big city, so E&B were probably never around people with an accent. I never heard an accent when they talked.

Evolve
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evolve »

Haha Blair definitely had an accent, you might not recognize it because you're around it a lot.

oceanic
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by oceanic »

Evolve wrote:Haha Blair definitely had an accent, you might not recognize it because you're around it a lot.
Actually, the city I live in is very diverse. I've met more Asians, Indians, Hispanics, and Europeans than people with a legitimate southern accent. Yes, there are people that sound southern on certain words, but do not have a southern accent.* It's the same thing with northern people. They don't have accents, but on certain words you can definitely tell they're from the north, if that makes sense.

*That is what I meant in my previous comment when I said E&B were probably never around people with an accent.

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Mallory wrote:
Evolve wrote:Haha Blair definitely had an accent, you might not recognize it because you're around it a lot.
Actually, the city I live in is very diverse. I've met more Asians, Indians, Hispanics, and Europeans than people with a legitimate southern accent. Yes, there are people that sound southern on certain words, but do not have a southern accent.* It's the same thing with northern people. They don't have accents, but on certain words you can definitely tell they're from the north, if that makes sense.

*That is what I meant in my previous comment when I said E&B were probably never around people with an accent.
Try this quiz, it tells you roughly what your type of dialect really is:

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?action ... bj_id=9827

Sometimes it can be hard to hear your actual accent if everyone around you speaks with the same dialect.

lalatraveler
Informer
Informer

Post by lalatraveler »

They definitely sound southern to me. I do think she will lose it more over time the more she lives in CA. I am from the south too and now live in CA and it's fun deciphering where people are from based on accent. There's hundreds of variations. Like her and Elle speak fast and I've met some other people from certain parts of TN who also speak pretty fast. In Alabama, we tend to talk slower if that makes sense.

If you watch Blair's vlogs when she's back home all of her friends sound country to me. And I'm from Alabama..just saying:)

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

My friend and former college roommate is from Long Island. When she went home for breaks, she came back and her accent was very noticeable. But then after she's been away for a while, she would adapt to how people spoke in her surroundings. It's a common thing. I don't think Blair does it on purpose.
imma ball til the day i fall

lindseytron
Learner
Learner

Post by lindseytron »

Yes I am from Long Island and when I go to school in Connecticut my friends make fun of my new york accent and when I come home my friends make fun of my Connecticut accent. I can never win, and my accent just depends on who I am around for two weeks or more.

thetinymonster
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by thetinymonster »

When I go to India, my American accent is so strong that people can't understand me, so I tend to speak in an Indian accent just to communicate with my family. But when I come back home, I'm so used to speaking that way that I have to train myself to speak like an American again so my friends can understand me.. after many years of traveling back and forth and having daily phone calls to India, my accent is half Indian - half GenAm. So I don't think she changed her accent or tried to speak differently on purpose. It just happens when you travel a lot.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

My sister learned to read, etc. in the south and then we moved further north when she was 13. She used to have a southern accent but over the years it just disappeared. I never had an accent, but I did say things like "I'm fixin' to do that", "yall", and "buggy" (in place of shopping cart) and those things have disappeared from my vocabulary now that I've lived in a more northern state for the past 9 or 10 years.

peachesnoranges
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by peachesnoranges »

One day they had a Southern accent and then a week later it magically disappeared.

v_illa
Informer
Informer

Post by v_illa »

Bi-winning wrote: Try this quiz, it tells you roughly what your type of dialect really is:

OT but i'm really impressed with this quiz, lol it knew I was Canadian

white trash sparkles
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

v_illa wrote:
Bi-winning wrote: Try this quiz, it tells you roughly what your type of dialect really is:

Me too. I actually took the test three times and I got the same result: Canadian. I am Canadian but I didn't think I actually sounded like one :? ... now I'm paranoid I sound like Piinksparkles.

shewassun
Talker
Talker

Post by shewassun »

Bi-winning wrote:
v_illa wrote:

Me too. I actually took the test three times and I got the same result: Canadian. I am Canadian but I didn't think I actually sounded like one :? ... now I'm paranoid I sound like Piinksparkles.
This is funny! I'm Canadian too, but it said I have a "neutral" accent.

Arielle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arielle »

Bi-winning wrote:
v_illa wrote:

LOL same!!

princessvoldemort
Informer
Informer

Post by princessvoldemort »

This is my result:

"Which American accent do you have?
Northern

You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for."

I've taken other dialect quizzes and the state my dialect is most like is Michigan, specifically Grand Rapids. I'm from Wisconsin.

DarthCassie
Informer
Informer

Post by DarthCassie »

I am from East Tennessee and got neutral. Woo I like some southern accents but most just put me off.

Return to “juicystar07”