Niki "nOt LiKe OtHeR g!rLz" DeMartino

Summer Peach
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Niki "nOt LiKe OtHeR g!rLz" DeMartino

Post by Summer Peach »

I wonder what Niki & Nate’s budget was for their new apartment- it’s huge and I know living in LA is expensive. It’s a beautiful apartment.

allycooper554
Talker
Talker

Post by allycooper554 »

Summer Peach wrote:I wonder what Niki & Nate’s budget was for their new apartment- it’s huge and I know living in LA is expensive. It’s a beautiful apartment.
you know niki is the only one paying for it

Post by Guest »

i think niki is shooting her wad early releasing all these videos within a few days of eachother - she cant keep producing them at this rate when she runs out of friends to explain how, like, no one sees the REAL them, u know?

pinkcoconuts
Talker
Talker

Re: Niki

Post by pinkcoconuts »

Audrey_91 wrote:Unpopular opinion but I don’t like niki’s new series. In theory it’s a great idea but I just don’t think the has the experience, knowledge or skills to “interview” people on such personal topics. A lot of the things she says sound like cliche’ tumblr quotes and in
the video with Sierra it felt like she was listening to respond and tell her own story rather than listening to understand. I hope it gets better, I hope she proves me wrong because it COULD be great but I’m just not feeling it atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer how Alisha did it in Niki's "interview." Some of Niki's questions and how she phrases it is just very weird and off.

ilfiore
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ilfiore »

i watched a little bit of the video niki made with jessie paege, and something about it makes me uncomfortable, but i cant pinpoint what is causing the feeling lol. like the way she asks jessie at 5:18 to talk about her first kiss with a girl it seems like she's trying to mimic the way therapists act in movies or something. its awkward.

GluteActivation
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by GluteActivation »

Missunderstood wrote:To be honest, I'd actually like to give Niki the benefit of the doubt and see where all of this is going. I like the new, more mature direction of her videos and that she is finally using her platform for something important and helpful rather than some basic make up videos and shopping hauls. At the end of the day, it's not Niki's fault if the other YouTubers she's interviewing don't give away as much as people would want them too, and that's their own right. The most important thing here is creating some kind of discussion about sensitive topics, and I think that this is a first step in the right direction.

Bottomline, I'd rather watch Niki's content than Gabi's who is only redesigning her room for the 5th time into her Marie Antoinette wonderland, or drinking champagne in a limo... if ya know what I mean :roll:
I kind of like it too. It's new so it;s not going to be perfect at first. Hopefully this series improves. But these are important things to talk about and i like seeing real life/relatable situation rather than materialistic videos

daydreamer
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by daydreamer »

ilfiore wrote:i watched a little bit of the video niki made with jessie paege, and something about it makes me uncomfortable, but i cant pinpoint what is causing the feeling lol. like the way she asks jessie at 5:18 to talk about her first kiss with a girl it seems like she's trying to mimic the way therapists act in movies or something. its awkward.
Ya coming from a real therapist, it seemed kind of invasive. Also i watched most of Jessie’s coming out vids and there was a bit of overlap. I liked that this video wasn’t just about an eating disorder, but i agree that this one was kind of odd, especially since she’s close with Jessie

karamel
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by karamel »

i like her video style tbh its nice to see like a friend interviewing a friend instead of someone just talking etc cause she's asking questions that people wanna know. these videos aren't supposed to be therapy i think they're supposed to be someone telling their story to us like we're friends and niki asking questions that a friend would ask

simplymortal
Lurker
Lurker

Post by simplymortal »

daydreamer wrote:
ilfiore wrote:i watched a little bit of the video niki made with jessie paege, and something about it makes me uncomfortable, but i cant pinpoint what is causing the feeling lol. like the way she asks jessie at 5:18 to talk about her first kiss with a girl it seems like she's trying to mimic the way therapists act in movies or something. its awkward.
Ya coming from a real therapist, it seemed kind of invasive. Also i watched most of Jessie’s coming out vids and there was a bit of overlap. I liked that this video wasn’t just about an eating disorder, but i agree that this one was kind of odd, especially since she’s close with Jessie
I agree. When I watched Jessie’s videos about her coming out they were so pure. I know not everyone’s experiences coming out are the same, but I agree with the invasive nature of some of Niki’s questions. Granted it is better than my experience with the first came out too, since I got church teaching thrown in my face instead of compassion. The thing about sexual orientation is that it is about attraction and not action, so details of her first kiss are irrelevant. The event itself is relevant in her coming out to herself but no one needs to know those details. It actually seemed almost Fraudian in approach, which is discredited in psychological circles. Again, I am biased because I identify as bisexual/queer. And some of these were not the types of questions my friends asked, probably because they are more educated and have higher awareness. It is different because Jessie had already come out to Niki before this video, but even now years later my friends wouldn’t ask some of those questions. Although I feel a good follow up episode with Jessie would be to talk about bi visibility because it bi erasure is an issue and as a community can struggle to be validated in LGBT+ and heterosexual spaces. Now that would be interesting and fresh because there isn’t enough media out there covering bisexuality.

ilfiore
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ilfiore »

simplymortal wrote:
daydreamer wrote:
I agree. When I watched Jessie’s videos about her coming out they were so pure. I know not everyone’s experiences coming out are the same, but I agree with the invasive nature of some of Niki’s questions. Granted it is better than my experience with the first came out too, since I got church teaching thrown in my face instead of compassion. The thing about sexual orientation is that it is about attraction and not action, so details of her first kiss are irrelevant. The event itself is relevant in her coming out to herself but no one needs to know those details. It actually seemed almost Fraudian in approach, which is discredited in psychological circles. Again, I am biased because I identify as bisexual/queer. And some of these were not the types of questions my friends asked, probably because they are more educated and have higher awareness. It is different because Jessie had already come out to Niki before this video, but even now years later my friends wouldn’t ask some of those questions. Although I feel a good follow up episode with Jessie would be to talk about bi visibility because it bi erasure is an issue and as a community can struggle to be validated in LGBT+ and heterosexual spaces. Now that would be interesting and fresh because there isn’t enough media out there covering bisexuality.
yes! i think this is what made me feel uneasy because it throws the vibe of the "episode" imo. and i feel like if niki is going to step into an interviewer role such as this one, she should better prepare and introduce topics, because at one point she says "did you feel uncomfortable when we were on tour?" which really confused me bc i didn't know anything about their girls night in tour (or whatever :rofl:). so my initial thought was that niki was implying that jessie was potentially attracted to some of the girls...but then i understood when jessie said something about how they talked about relationships and stuff. idk. theres definitely room for improvement, and i applaud niki for trying something new. i would suggest to her that she figure out what her role is exactly in this series + have some sort of conclusive statement at the end of the ep because those things are probably what makes it seem a little off

daydreamer
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by daydreamer »

Someone mentioned this as well, but if she’s going to mention these topics then she needs some resources in the description box. Hotlines, websites, etc. She shouldn’t just talk about mental health and whatnot and then be like ok bye thanks for watching have fun sitting with the heaviness of this episode!

ladyevil
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Niki

Post by ladyevil »

pinkcoconuts wrote:
Audrey_91 wrote:Unpopular opinion but I don’t like niki’s new series. In theory it’s a great idea but I just don’t think the has the experience, knowledge or skills to “interview” people on such personal topics. A lot of the things she says sound like cliche’ tumblr quotes and in
the video with Sierra it felt like she was listening to respond and tell her own story rather than listening to understand. I hope it gets better, I hope she proves me wrong because it COULD be great but I’m just not feeling it atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer how Alisha did it in Niki's "interview." Some of Niki's questions and how she phrases it is just very weird and off.
Ya I agree that Niki's interviewing skills leave much to be desired. The whole series is titled "the truth about" yet in her interview with Sierra, for example, she didn't really dig deep at all and her questions seemed super hesitant. Like I got the vibe that Sierra was ready to share but Niki just kept complimenting her for doing the video and not really asking anything. It was pretty frustrating to watch.

Then this newer one with Jessie just seemed, as others said, like Niki came in knowing nothing about the LGBTQ community and particularly bisexuality and was prompting her to talk about her romantic/sexual life in ways that were inappropriate.

I feel like if she's going to delve into people's personal lives like this she needs to do her research and maybe even go over a few questions with her interviewees beforehand so they are prepared. And she should give them an opportunity to fill in the blanks at the end - like if there was anything they wanted to talk about that she didn't ask about. Also for SURE she should be asking them if there's anything they would say to people struggling with the same things, and providing any resources for others who are struggling in the bottom bar. Idk. I don't feel super impressed with this series like others in this thread, I feel like she's mostly just trying to hop onto what Shane Dawson is doing in order to get views but doesn't really have the depth or life experience and so she's getting super sloppy.

simplymortal
Lurker
Lurker

Post by simplymortal »

For example: at least with Jessie’s video she should’ve linked the Trevor Project since it is one of the most well known LGBT+ help organizations.

It just bothers me because I see so much potential in this series but it is not being done as well as it could be. I am also very passionate about all the issues she’s covered so far, so I’ve done and continue to do research on all of them.

simplymortal
Lurker
Lurker

Post by simplymortal »

For example: at least with Jessie’s video she should’ve linked the Trevor Project since it is one of the most well known LGBT+ help organizations.

It just bothers me because I see so much potential in this series but it is not being done as well as it could be. I am also very passionate about all the issues she’s covered so far, so I’ve done and continue to do research on all of them.

teenyc
Learner
Learner

Post by teenyc »

I actually like Niki's new editing style and overall I think she's more likeable doing her own thing vs the Niki & Gabi videos. Before I honestly never watched her solo channels but she's grown on me.

sororitygirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sororitygirl123 »

teenyc wrote:I actually like Niki's new editing style and overall I think she's more likeable doing her own thing vs the Niki & Gabi videos. Before I honestly never watched her solo channels but she's grown on me.
Didn't they hire someone to take over editing all three channel?

UseMyCode
Informer
Informer

Post by UseMyCode »

not trying to diagnose but Jessie is borderline scary thin and I expected hers to be an eating disorder video too

Castiel
Informer
Informer

Post by Castiel »

She looks really good, wow!Image

Edited to add: her body, no comment on that hair or whatever face she's pulling

meepersmoopers
Talker
Talker

Post by meepersmoopers »

on niki and gabi's newest video... its just a boring Q+A and of course they only talked about Gabi's arrest for like 10 sec... :roll:

but DAMN. Niki looked so good! I was kinda hating on the greenish- turquoise hair colour, but it that video her hair was like a light baby blue and it look amazing on her! Gabi on the otherhand... gurl what is u doing?! The filler look so obvi and she looks so much 'ugly plastic' and ugly in comparison to niki

GivemeCoco
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by GivemeCoco »

meepersmoopers wrote:on niki and gabi's newest video... its just a boring Q+A and of course they only talked about Gabi's arrest for like 10 sec... :roll:

but DAMN. Niki looked so good! I was kinda hating on the greenish- turquoise hair colour, but it that video her hair was like a light baby blue and it look amazing on her! Gabi on the otherhand... gurl what is u doing?! The filler look so obvi and she looks so much 'ugly plastic' and ugly in comparison to niki
yeah gabi's profile is unfortunate. Niki did look really good. I wish she would retire the one color smoky eye because is just makes her eyes look tired/swollen and it's not a look but she looks so glowy. Like a healthy glow, not a fenty beauty glow. She seems so much happier and idk it's a good change.
i like using pictures
imgur.com/a/fbgeJpV

Return to “Niki and Gabi”