Ingrid - the most UNETHICAL Beauty Guru??

makeupnewbie
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ingrid - the most UNETHICAL Beauty Guru??

Post by makeupnewbie »

I've had it.

I've been watching her - and other youtube gurus - for a while now.

And I'm done. She's hands-down unethical. I can't deal with it anymore. Let me break it down.

1) Fakeness: Baby voice to appeal to young viewers. Telling everyone she 'loves' them, and I loved how in her last video, she said, "I believe in sharing the love which is why I do giveaways." Ummm yeah...THAT'S why. What about corporate sponsors that give you free shit and the fact that the more people who comment to get free stuff, the more you get paid??

2) Corporate sponsorships that she doesn't reveal: Her 'get ready with me" videos are corporate scams to promote products.

3) Laziness-not working for her viewers: She did THREE videos last month, and she doesn't have a job besides YouTube! She doesn't do tutorials any more either...and why should she? The channel isn't about being creative, it's about making money.

4) I know very few gurus that are so savvy at minimizing the amount of negative comments they get in their videos. Her 'giveaways' are a way for people to load up the comments so the people who give her criticism are drowned out. No one is sharing their creative ideas anymore, it's all about getting free things.

5) She lies. No need to repeat what she lies about, it's all on here. But she's lied about a lot of things to get more viewers.

6) She pushes ridiculously expensive products (like Chanel) on to young, young girls. She doesn't care about being a bad influence, cause for her it's all about the money.

She just lacks a moral compass. It's appalling.

monuments
Informer
Informer

Re: Ingrid - the most UNETHICAL Beauty Guru??

Post by monuments »

I agree with you, but sadly, Elle and Blair are worse with the lying and pandering. I think they've finally moved on from doing so much of it though, because they have other outlets like reality tv, cellairis, and justfab projects they're more interested in working on.

That's part of why I don't mind them so much anymore compared to Ingrid. I mean, they're just like Ingrid with everything you mentioned, but they're more ambitious and hardworking whereas this is all Ingrid does.

Doesn't it make you sick to think, she made just THREE videos last month, but it gets enough views to let her live her cushy lifestyle? Ugh.

makeupnewbie
Informer
Informer

Post by makeupnewbie »

Yes, it makes me SICK to think that she did 30 minutes worth of videos and she can just sit on her ass all day!! I volunteer with families who are working three jobs and they can barely get by. And my friends and I are also struggling to pay the bills while balancing work and school commitments. The amount that viewers are paying her (through advertisements) versus what she gives back to them is appalling. Elle and Blair might be shady but they do work so hard. I just don't understand WHY Ingrid is popular based on the quality of her videos. She's a master manipulator. She knows how to work the system like no other. She comes off as so sweet but as I said before, her moral compass is lacking. And what does she do for charity btw in all of her free time? I just couldn't live with myself being like that, manipulating and lying just to make money. It truly is appalling.

ChanelMagic
Informer
Informer

Post by ChanelMagic »

I caught the "I want to share the love..." comment about the giveaway too. The giveway is intended to make her channel reach her subscribe goals. This is business. This is about money. The tiny amount of products that she is giving away is NOTHING compared to the amount of money she will make from that video itself. You are also right about the fact that giveaways flood the comment section so the negative comments or just questions in general do not appear.

Fine. Ingrid has two successful channels. I am not hating on her hard work of building her channels to the success they have become. I wish she didn't pretend that it isn't a business and that she is our bestie of best friend. She want to share the love - make a video showing me how you make your business goals. Take us to a business meeting in which you do your "pitch" to the beauty and clothing companies stating how many views and subs you have accumulated and what your channel can do for their business. Ingrid make a video showing new youtubers how to become successful like you that would be "giving back".

makeupnewbie
Informer
Informer

Post by makeupnewbie »

ChanelMagic wrote:I caught the "I want to share the love..." comment about the giveaway too. The giveway is intended to make her channel reach her subscribe goals. This is business. This is about money. The tiny amount of products that she is giving away is NOTHING compared to the amount of money she will make from that video itself. You are also right about the fact that giveaways flood the comment section so the negative comments or just questions in general do not appear.

Fine. Ingrid has two successful channels. I am not hating on her hard work of building her channels to the success they have become. I wish she didn't pretend that it isn't a business and that she is our bestie of best friend. She want to share the love - make a video showing me how you make your business goals. Take us to a business meeting in which you do your "pitch" to the beauty and clothing companies stating how many views and subs you have accumulated and what your channel can do for their business. Ingrid make a video showing new youtubers how to become successful like you that would be "giving back".
This. Agree with everything you said. A million times!

Suspiria
Informer
Informer

Post by Suspiria »

I don't think you know what ethical means.

Mishka
Learner
Learner

Post by Mishka »

Must be nice to make half ass videos and get paid for it. :D For that, I am envious but at the same time when you work hard at a real job and earn the things you want, it's much more rewarding. I applaud the YouTubers who are able to have the dream job, AND be passionate about their videos and subscribers. Not YouTubers like Ingrid who make flimsy videos every once in a while, a giveaway here or there, and videos that are very bland and uninformative.

ChanelMagic
Informer
Informer

Post by ChanelMagic »

Is the trend now to only make giveaway videos? Great way to bump up numbers. Doesn't having an administrative staff at Big Frame handling the picking of the winners and mailing the prizes help too? I DO NOT know if this is what is happening. I am speculating. But if you can have giveaways constantly it seems like a win win situation for making your views look larger than they normally would be and more chances for ad clicks. Again just a thought NOT AT ALL saying this is what is actually happening.

emeele
Informer
Informer

Post by emeele »

Completely agree. Making three videos in a month and making that much money off them is insane. She doesn't manage a blog, online shop, etc. like other youtubers do, she doesn't have a job outside youtube, she's abandoned her vlog channel... She used to be one of my favourites and now I just see a cheeky liar who's making money doing absolutely NOTHING.

emeele
Informer
Informer

Post by emeele »

Completely agree. Making three videos in a month and making that much money off them is insane. She doesn't manage a blog, online shop, etc. like other youtubers do, she doesn't have a job outside youtube, she's abandoned her vlog channel... She used to be one of my favourites and now I just see a cheeky liar who's making money doing absolutely NOTHING.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

emeele wrote:Completely agree. Making three videos in a month and making that much money off them is insane. She doesn't manage a blog, online shop, etc. like other youtubers do, she doesn't have a job outside youtube, she's abandoned her vlog channel... She used to be one of my favourites and now I just see a cheeky liar who's making money doing absolutely NOTHING.
I haven't heard anything, but do you guys think that Luke and Ingrid will do "VEDA" this year (Vlog Every Day in April)?

well wait idk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by well wait idk »

Kleineganz wrote:
emeele wrote:Completely agree. Making three videos in a month and making that much money off them is insane. She doesn't manage a blog, online shop, etc. like other youtubers do, she doesn't have a job outside youtube, she's abandoned her vlog channel... She used to be one of my favourites and now I just see a cheeky liar who's making money doing absolutely NOTHING.
I haven't heard anything, but do you guys think that Luke and Ingrid will do "VEDA" this year (Vlog Every Day in April)?
yeah and then they'll stop halfway through because its "too much work" or something about an ulcer perhaps

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

well wait idk wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:
yeah and then they'll stop halfway through because its "too much work" or something about an ulcer perhaps
They didn't stop half-way through vlogging every day until Christmas ...

emeele
Informer
Informer

Post by emeele »

Luke probably will but I doubt Ingrid will. She doesn't commit to vlogging, I don't think she enjoys it too much.

April Ludgate
Lurker
Lurker

Post by April Ludgate »

emeele wrote:Luke probably will but I doubt Ingrid will. She doesn't commit to vlogging, I don't think she enjoys it too much.
I have to disagree with that, there was a period there where she was staying up to 3-4am making/editing videos and after vlogmas she specifically said she enjoyed it so much that she was going to attempt vlogyear. Obviously she didn't complete vlogyear because that is a ridiculously huge ask - I doubt anyone on here could be bothered to make and edit a vlog every single day for a whole year haha. But there's no evidence to suggest that she doesn't enjoy vlogging or that she hasn't had commitment to it in the past.

stefunny
Talker
Talker

Post by stefunny »

Okay so I did a little math and Ingrid made 4 videos in the month of February, those totaled around 2,040,000 views in total. Depending on how much she gets paid per 1000 views, if she makes $3:1000 views that would be $6100. If she makes $5:1000 views that could be $10,200. And considering she is a very popular guru, she probably makes more than $5 per 1000 views. So for roughly 40 mins worth of content for the month of February she made around the $10,000 mark, possibly more. For a month. Sick.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

stefunny wrote:Okay so I did a little math and Ingrid made 4 videos in the month of February, those totaled around 2,040,000 views in total. Depending on how much she gets paid per 1000 views, if she makes $3:1000 views that would be $6100. If she makes $5:1000 views that could be $10,200. And considering she is a very popular guru, she probably makes more than $5 per 1000 views. So for roughly 40 mins worth of content for the month of February she made around the $10,000 mark, possibly more. For a month. Sick.
Ok 40 minutes worth of content, but how much time spent filming, editing, exporting/rendering and uploading?

For me it takes a good 1.5-2 hours for a simple 8 - 15 minute talking-head vlog. If I do one of my cooking vlogs, that will take 1-2 hours alone just for all the filming, and a total of 4 hours for all the editing, etc. Her videos tend to have a lot of editing and I'm guessing she takes at least 1 hour to film one, and then add in 1-2 hours for editing, etc.

So yeah 40 min of content, but more like 12 hours of total work. Yes I know that's still only 7.5% of what a "normal" job takes (40 hours/week x 4 weeks = 160 hours/month), but just trying to add a little perspective.

stefunny
Talker
Talker

Post by stefunny »

Kleineganz wrote:
stefunny wrote:Okay so I did a little math and Ingrid made 4 videos in the month of February, those totaled around 2,040,000 views in total. Depending on how much she gets paid per 1000 views, if she makes $3:1000 views that would be $6100. If she makes $5:1000 views that could be $10,200. And considering she is a very popular guru, she probably makes more than $5 per 1000 views. So for roughly 40 mins worth of content for the month of February she made around the $10,000 mark, possibly more. For a month. Sick.
Ok 40 minutes worth of content, but how much time spent filming, editing, exporting/rendering and uploading?

For me it takes a good 1.5-2 hours for a simple 8 - 15 minute talking-head vlog. If I do one of my cooking vlogs, that will take 1-2 hours alone just for all the filming, and a total of 4 hours for all the editing, etc. Her videos tend to have a lot of editing and I'm guessing she takes at least 1 hour to film one, and then add in 1-2 hours for editing, etc.

So yeah 40 min of content, but more like 12 hours of total work. Yes I know that's still only 7.5% of what a "normal" job takes (40 hours/week x 4 weeks = 160 hours/month), but just trying to add a little perspective.
I took that into perspective, which is why I didn't say 40 mins worth of videos like I was originally going to, and said 40 mins worth of CONTENT. One was a January Favorites, and another was someone doing her makeup, which probably didnt take a lot more than 2 hours to edit/upload. The other two were Outfit ideas/Get ready W Me which I'm sure took much longer. My point is, though, that $10,000 a month is extremely lavish for that amount of work. I'm sure even you, Kleinz, can agree that she doesn't exactly have to bust her butt to earn that lavish amount of money.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

stefunny wrote:I took that into perspective, which is why I didn't say 40 mins worth of videos like I was originally going to, and said 40 mins worth of CONTENT. One was a January Favorites, and another was someone doing her makeup, which probably didnt take a lot more than 2 hours to edit/upload. The other two were Outfit ideas/Get ready W Me which I'm sure took much longer. My point is, though, that $10,000 a month is extremely lavish for that amount of work. I'm sure even you, Kleinz, can agree that she doesn't exactly have to bust her butt to earn that lavish amount of money.
You're right, I agree she's not working long hours on these videos, which is why I added the fact that a "normal" job is usually a minimum of 160 hours/month. Personally I don't see $10,000/month as "lavish" though. Well paid, yes, but not lavish. Based on her SocialBlade stats she's actually probably earning closer to $20,000/month though, and that's starting to get into the zone of being able to live comfortably in Southern Cali.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

Kleineganz wrote:
stefunny wrote:I took that into perspective, which is why I didn't say 40 mins worth of videos like I was originally going to, and said 40 mins worth of CONTENT. One was a January Favorites, and another was someone doing her makeup, which probably didnt take a lot more than 2 hours to edit/upload. The other two were Outfit ideas/Get ready W Me which I'm sure took much longer. My point is, though, that $10,000 a month is extremely lavish for that amount of work. I'm sure even you, Kleinz, can agree that she doesn't exactly have to bust her butt to earn that lavish amount of money.
You're right, I agree she's not working long hours on these videos, which is why I added the fact that a "normal" job is usually a minimum of 160 hours/month. Personally I don't see $10,000/month as "lavish" though. Well paid, yes, but not lavish. Based on her SocialBlade stats she's actually probably earning closer to $20,000/month though, and that's starting to get into the zone of being able to live comfortably in Southern Cali.

I'm sorry Klein, but have you actually even been to Los Angeles at all? $240,000 a year is so far beyond what it takes to be able to "live comfortably" in Southern California. Despite the reputation, it really is not as expensive as everyone wants to think. My friend makes barely above $50,000 a year and lives very well in Los Angeles. Ingrid's quarter mil a year is letting her live lavishly, not comfortably.

Return to “Ingrid Nilsen”