Ingrid - the most UNETHICAL Beauty Guru??

Kleineganz

Re: Ingrid - the most UNETHICAL Beauty Guru??

Post by Kleineganz »

stefunny wrote:Personally, the fact that someone who does what Ingrid does makes 20 grand a month shows everything that's wrong with our soceity imo.
I have the opposite opinion. It shows to me everything that's right in our society. Isn't part of the American Dream to pursue your dreams, and have the opportunity to do so, as well as getting paid well in the process? Are we really so down on people who achieve financial success that we want to squash their dreams?

So she doesn't work 40+ hours/week and she earns a very good income. So what? Does that give anyone the right to mandate that shouldn't happen? Some people have to work harder than others to reach that level of financial success, but I don't begrudge her one penny of her earnings.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

stefunny wrote:Agreed. I'm a college student with a retail job and work around 35 hours a week, my paycheck comes to a total of around $700 every two weeks. I roughly make $1500 for 140 hours worth of work a month. For someone to say $10,000 "isnt very lavish" is indeed quite insulting. Especially for the amount of work Ingrid does.
I don't see how that's insulting at all. I worked 3 jobs to get through college, and back then minimum wage was only $4.25/hour and from that I had to help my grandmother pay rent & buy groceries (I had student grants to help pay for school thankfully). I've been where you are and so I honestly don't see why you'd be insulted by my comment. I certainly wouldn't be if I were still in your position.

DangerousAngel
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DangerousAngel »

Kleineganz wrote:
stefunny wrote:Personally, the fact that someone who does what Ingrid does makes 20 grand a month shows everything that's wrong with our soceity imo.
I have the opposite opinion. It shows to me everything that's right in our society. Isn't part of the American Dream to pursue your dreams, and have the opportunity to do so, as well as getting paid well in the process? Are we really so down on people who achieve financial success that we want to squash their dreams?

So she doesn't work 40+ hours/week and she earns a very good income. So what? Does that give anyone the right to mandate that shouldn't happen? Some people have to work harder than others to reach that level of financial success, but I don't begrudge her one penny of her earnings.
The American Dream is a myth. The truth is, people can work hard, work themselves to the bone even, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee anything. There's a multitude of privileges to take into account (your race, gender, class upbringing, etc), and a vast array of other factors that come into play when you talk about what it takes to become successful. Sometimes you can do everything "right" and never get anywhere. It's a crap shoot, honestly, but no one wants to talk about that. No one wants to hear that you might never realize your dreams no matter what you try to do to accomplish them, but that's the reality of things. Especially in such a ridiculously capitalistic society.

Shylo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Shylo »

Come on guys, give Ingrid a break! lol no I'm kidding, I am in definite agreement with the majority here. I used to really like her videos; her vlogs mostly, but now she does next to nothing. Each and every video she posts now is obviously just to get her more money, not because she really wants to do it. An obvious giveaway in these giveaway videos is the lack of rules; subscribe to both my channels and leave as many comments as you want (or at least that's usually how it is, I didn't watch this particular video.) People end up leaving numerous comments, resulting in a plethora of views from one individual. This mind set of "leave as many comments as you like, I'm going to choose randomly" gives me the notion that she doesn't really care what any of her viewers have to say. Any other viable contest would take each individual comment into consideration; and let's face it, she has the time! If she really cared about her fans, wouldn't she do that? Ingrid doesn't do a whole lot, and she's aiming at doing as little work as possible. I got this vibe when watching her Christmas vlogs this year. Last year she took her camera with her everywhere and even attempted VALA and vlogged the entirety of December, not just up until Christmas day. I felt bad for her after watching that video she posted about her father a few years ago, and often think about it when I began to feel angry towards her, but I am fed up. I got tired of Fleur and her constant b/s, which resulted in me un-following all her channels, maybe I'll just have to do the same with Ingrid. After all, she never posts vids so what am I missing out on other than a random video every now and then that is obviously being made for monetary purposes?

To those who are saying that she works a fraction of the amount others work, I wholly agree. But I have to give her credit for actually attaining a degree. I get so tired of other Youtubers like Joey and Brit who say, quite often, that they are happy that they didn't have to pursue further education and could just "live their dreams." When I hear this mentioned numerous amounts of times in their videos, I have to believe that there is a part of them that wishes they actually could do 'real life' work. I know many people say this, but its true, they will not be popular for ever and all that cash flow they get from us will one day dwindle away. It's just not in the nature of this society, for we evolve and move on with our lives and yearn for new and better things. That being said, I will be enjoying my 401K after retirement and won't be thinking of days long past when I used to be paid thousands of dollars for vlogging about my cat or making nutella hot chocolate.

And to those who think there is nothing wrong with this situation; it is not solely about all the money she is making off our views. The problem is that most of us used to be avid viewers and enjoyed her content, that is how she became popular on Youtube in the first place. When you start to turn away from your fans and begin to make videos, not because you care about connecting with those who made you famous, but just because you have expensive taste and prefer to eat out each night of the week then yes, you are kind of a douche bag.

pie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pie »

Klein, I'm not begrudging Ingrid for her success. She and I are different people, and I am on the university-grad/professional school-long hours till the day you die path, while she is in the make-videos-and-expose-your-life-to-the-public path. She is successful at it and good for her if she is earning that much in her 20s.

She IS living lavishly. The vast majority of my peers are the same age as Ingrid (23/24) because we all went to college together and most of us have plans to move on to grad school. For the most part, we all live comfortably. Our parents live comfortably. We can pay our bills, drive our own cars, eat out when we like, and maybe have one or two impulse purchases every now and then. But none of us are in the position to just buy a designer or luxury item and think nothing of it. Ingrid can make ANY video, including a 3 minute video of her dancing in a panda suit or having Luke paint her face like a clown, and instantly make back whatever she spent on her luxury item. The Adsense cash register keeps on rolling even while Ingrid sleeps, eats, takes a shower or plays with Nugget.

I can see why Stefunny would feel insulted if someone were to say that Ingrid is merely "on her way" to living comfortably. Unless you need Wildfox sweaters and an array of Longchamp bags to choose from to be comfortable in your life, then Ingrid's lifestyle is on the further end of "comfortable" and closer to upper middle class for a 24-year-old with no real credentials other than 1 million YT subscribers.

pumpkinparade
Learner
Learner

Post by pumpkinparade »

The title of this thread isn't a very good use of the word ethical. However, I do agree with some of the points made here: Ingrid is kind of obnoxious and like most other beauty gurus, targets a highly materialistic lifestyle at young girls. I would have so much more respect for her if she did some charity videos or volunteering -- even if that meant something as simple as encouraging people to adopt pets from the ASPCA / animal rescues in a short video. (since I think she adopted her cat from the humane society or something?)

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

pumpkinparade wrote:The title of this thread isn't a very good use of the word ethical. However, I do agree with some of the points made here: Ingrid is kind of obnoxious and like most other beauty gurus, targets a highly materialistic lifestyle at young girls. I would have so much more respect for her if she did some charity videos or volunteering -- even if that meant something as simple as encouraging people to adopt pets from the ASPCA / animal rescues in a short video. (since I think she adopted her cat from the humane society or something?)
Lol, no. From what I've read here, I'm 99% sure that she bought her cat from a breeder on the East Coast and had him shipped to her in LA.

makeupnewbie
Informer
Informer

Post by makeupnewbie »

pumpkinparade wrote:The title of this thread isn't a very good use of the word ethical. However, I do agree with some of the points made here: Ingrid is kind of obnoxious and like most other beauty gurus, targets a highly materialistic lifestyle at young girls. I would have so much more respect for her if she did some charity videos or volunteering -- even if that meant something as simple as encouraging people to adopt pets from the ASPCA / animal rescues in a short video. (since I think she adopted her cat from the humane society or something?)
Why isn't it a good use for the term 'ethical'?
She lies to her fans about corporate sponsorships so she can get more views and money. She lies about her past to win over her fans. She promotes hardcore consumption and unattainable beauty standards to impressionable young girls, and fakes friendship with them. She has promoted products over and over that hurt animals, people, and the environment (Forever 21=sweatshops, makeup companies that test on animals).

You know why she's unethical? Cause she doesn't give a crap about anyone else's well-being but herself. She doesn't care that other people and animals hurt making the crap she promotes. She doesn't care that she's hooking young girls into constant consumption and materialism so that they can be like her. She doesn't care that all of these corporations are hooking her up with stuff which we don't know about because it MAKES HER MONEY. Can she for once promote a cause? Or cut down the shopping? Look I know a ton of people shop at Forever 21 and Victoria's Secret but couldn't she cut down the excessive shopping at sweatshop-retailers? If she's so supposedly smart than maybe she would think about the consequences of her actions are. But she doesn't give a crap. It's all about Ingrid. Why should she care about anyone else as long as she's getting what she wants? I honestly don't know how she sleeps at night knowing that she just touted a Chanel bag to 8 year old girls, or that she's raving about products which she so clearly doesn't use that has been given to her by Big Daddy over at so and so corporation. Has anyone noticed that she's one of the few gurus that doesn't shoot a 'hits and misses' video?
At least Fleur will pretty much in every video say what products disappointed her. Ingrid never talks about the products she doesn't like (I could probably count them on two hands), and you know why? Cause she's not honest, and there's no way she'd want to cut ties with a company that is so clearly funding her. She disgusts me. Don't be fooled by the baby voice, hyper laugh, and clean-cut look....she's crazy manipulative. OR she didn't used to be, and then got caught up in the machine, and threw out her moral compass at the door. Ugh.

truetale
Learner
Learner

Post by truetale »

Shylo wrote:Come on guys, give Ingrid a break! lol no I'm kidding, I am in definite agreement with the majority here. I used to really like her videos; her vlogs mostly, but now she does next to nothing. Each and every video she posts now is obviously just to get her more money, not because she really wants to do it. An obvious giveaway in these giveaway videos is the lack of rules; subscribe to both my channels and leave as many comments as you want (or at least that's usually how it is, I didn't watch this particular video.) People end up leaving numerous comments, resulting in a plethora of views from one individual. This mind set of "leave as many comments as you like, I'm going to choose randomly" gives me the notion that she doesn't really care what any of her viewers have to say. Any other viable contest would take each individual comment into consideration; and let's face it, she has the time! If she really cared about her fans, wouldn't she do that? Ingrid doesn't do a whole lot, and she's aiming at doing as little work as possible. I got this vibe when watching her Christmas vlogs this year. Last year she took her camera with her everywhere and even attempted VALA and vlogged the entirety of December, not just up until Christmas day. I felt bad for her after watching that video she posted about her father a few years ago, and often think about it when I began to feel angry towards her, but I am fed up. I got tired of Fleur and her constant b/s, which resulted in me un-following all her channels, maybe I'll just have to do the same with Ingrid. After all, she never posts vids so what am I missing out on other than a random video every now and then that is obviously being made for monetary purposes?

To those who are saying that she works a fraction of the amount others work, I wholly agree. But I have to give her credit for actually attaining a degree. I get so tired of other Youtubers like Joey and Brit who say, quite often, that they are happy that they didn't have to pursue further education and could just "live their dreams." When I hear this mentioned numerous amounts of times in their videos, I have to believe that there is a part of them that wishes they actually could do 'real life' work. I know many people say this, but its true, they will not be popular for ever and all that cash flow they get from us will one day dwindle away. It's just not in the nature of this society, for we evolve and move on with our lives and yearn for new and better things. That being said, I will be enjoying my 401K after retirement and won't be thinking of days long past when I used to be paid thousands of dollars for vlogging about my cat or making nutella hot chocolate.

And to those who think there is nothing wrong with this situation; it is not solely about all the money she is making off our views. The problem is that most of us used to be avid viewers and enjoyed her content, that is how she became popular on Youtube in the first place. When you start to turn away from your fans and begin to make videos, not because you care about connecting with those who made you famous, but just because you have expensive taste and prefer to eat out each night of the week then yes, you are kind of a douche bag.
Great comment. And 401K retirement, shylo, what do you do?! ANd how do I do it too! ;)

IvyBronte
Learner
Learner

Post by IvyBronte »

makeupnewbie wrote:
Why isn't it a good use for the term 'ethical'?
She lies to her fans about corporate sponsorships so she can get more views and money. She lies about her past to win over her fans. She promotes hardcore consumption and unattainable beauty standards to impressionable young girls, and fakes friendship with them. She has promoted products over and over that hurt animals, people, and the environment (Forever 21=sweatshops, makeup companies that test on animals).

You know why she's unethical? Cause she doesn't give a crap about anyone else's well-being but herself. She doesn't care that other people and animals hurt making the crap she promotes. She doesn't care that she's hooking young girls into constant consumption and materialism so that they can be like her. She doesn't care that all of these corporations are hooking her up with stuff which we don't know about because it MAKES HER MONEY. Can she for once promote a cause? Or cut down the shopping? Look I know a ton of people shop at Forever 21 and Victoria's Secret but couldn't she cut down the excessive shopping at sweatshop-retailers? If she's so supposedly smart than maybe she would think about the consequences of her actions are. But she doesn't give a crap. It's all about Ingrid. Why should she care about anyone else as long as she's getting what she wants? I honestly don't know how she sleeps at night knowing that she just touted a Chanel bag to 8 year old girls, or that she's raving about products which she so clearly doesn't use that has been given to her by Big Daddy over at so and so corporation. Has anyone noticed that she's one of the few gurus that doesn't shoot a 'hits and misses' video?
At least Fleur will pretty much in every video say what products disappointed her. Ingrid never talks about the products she doesn't like (I could probably count them on two hands), and you know why? Cause she's not honest, and there's no way she'd want to cut ties with a company that is so clearly funding her. She disgusts me. Don't be fooled by the baby voice, hyper laugh, and clean-cut look....she's crazy manipulative. OR she didn't used to be, and then got caught up in the machine, and threw out her moral compass at the door. Ugh.
I agree with what you said completely, although I still firmly believe she was manipulative from the start. Ingrid has had several different personalities since she started with YouTube. It's blatantly obvious she switches depending on who or what she is after.

makeupnewbie
Informer
Informer

Post by makeupnewbie »

I agree with what you said completely, although I still firmly believe she was manipulative from the start. Ingrid has had several different personalities since she started with YouTube. It's blatantly obvious she switches depending on who or what she is after.
Yes, and btw, whatever happened to her wanting to inspire young women and girls to become better people and to feel empowered?

lalatraveler
Informer
Informer

Post by lalatraveler »

I saw that video a few weeks ago. I was shocked!! She is so different. But looking back, to me it's obvious she only created that to gain more fans. I don't think she was genuine at all about wanting to help or empower girls.

user1019
Lurker
Lurker

Post by user1019 »

If you we're Ingrid and being a beauty guru was your job, wouldn't you try to improve? If I had a million subs taking my advice and HELLO, it's her job. If I was fortunate enough to be getting paid for such an easy job I would be very grateful. And I would want to always improve. If your a 'guru' you should teach people something. Obviously not all gurus are skilled and know anything about makeup. I remember in a old video she said was going to try and improve and take a makeup class. Which never happened, clearly. Plus it's too hard for Ingrid or Luke to vlog anymore. Is it that hard to vlog 2 minutes going out to dinner and shopping with your youtube earnings? Lmao come on! The views on the vids pay for them to even be doing that! If you like Ingrid or not, you have to admit, she is lazy.

makeupnewbie
Informer
Informer

Post by makeupnewbie »

She made three videos this entire month on her beauty channel. THREE VIDEOS. And the spring tag was a completely useless video. Can someone please explain to me her appeal/how she went Viral and why people keep subscribing? She doesn't even have a makeup blog!!!

hardcore
Lurker
Lurker

Post by hardcore »

makeupnewbie wrote:...why people keep subscribing?
Because they are deluded by her fake image. We should help them asking these questions:

>>>

hunter
Debater
Debater

Post by hunter »

DangerousAngel wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:

The American Dream is a myth. The truth is, people can work hard, work themselves to the bone even, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee anything. There's a multitude of privileges to take into account (your race, gender, class upbringing, etc), and a vast array of other factors that come into play when you talk about what it takes to become successful. Sometimes you can do everything "right" and never get anywhere. It's a crap shoot, honestly, but no one wants to talk about that. No one wants to hear that you might never realize your dreams no matter what you try to do to accomplish them, but that's the reality of things. Especially in such a ridiculously capitalistic society.
THIS. I know this was a month ago, but I just read what you wrote and literally could not agree more. Well said

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

makeupnewbie wrote:She made three videos this entire month on her beauty channel. THREE VIDEOS. And the spring tag was a completely useless video. Can someone please explain to me her appeal/how she went Viral and why people keep subscribing? She doesn't even have a makeup blog!!!
She gained popularity a couple years ago, when she was still putting in effort and making worthwhile videos. Most of us really liked her back then. For me, it was a mix of her personality and her looks. She always had average makeup skills and her tutorials were never really brilliant, but they were good everyday ideas. She seemed like a really sweet, down to earth girl and a lot of the products she recommended were great (because we have the exact same coloring). Her channel didn't really start going to hell until about a year/year and a half ago. And over the past few months it's just been tragic.

And in my opinion, the reason people are still subscribing to her is twofold. One, she was doing giveaways in practically every single video and of course you could only enter if you were subscribed to her. Two, there is a whole batch of new tween girls rolling in that idolize her because she's a pretty rich girl who lives in Southern California and does nothing but hang out with her boyfriend, shop and eat. That's the ideal life, isn't it? If you watch 30 seconds of any one of her videos you can see what her target demographic is. And they eat that shit up.

galoris123
Lurker
Lurker

Post by galoris123 »

Where did she go to college?

hardcore
Lurker
Lurker

Post by hardcore »

BellaJane wrote: One, she was doing giveaways in practically every single video and of course you could only enter if you were subscribed to her. Two, there is a whole batch of new tween girls rolling in that idolize her because she's a pretty rich girl who lives in Southern California and does nothing but hang out with her boyfriend, shop and eat. That's the ideal life, isn't it?
Yes, it is. But the problem here is that many of those girls do not realize, that Ingrid implies, that only she is worth such a life. Those girls, think that she will help them to have their own dream, but in fact that miss just heartlessly uses them.

We should help those girls by asking them questions, which I wrote there.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

She makes way too much money for what she does because 1. she contributes little to nothing to society, she's not even really entertainment like actors or musicians; 2. she puts little to no effort into anything she does; 3. she clearly grew up in a middle class or higher situation so she didn't have to climb much (not that this was her choice but she isn't like a rags to riches story by any means); 4. she is doing nothing with her degree so that's a moot point. I could go on.

I mean, yeah good for her for lucking out and doing nothing while earning bank but that's hardly something to be proud of, no? It does annoy me sometimes when I think about it because I see people who work manual labor jobs to support their families and literally work their fingers to the bone and earn like a fifth, if even that, of what this little spoiled girl who knows nothing about life gets. It's hard to support her in that respect.
imma ball til the day i fall

Return to “Ingrid Nilsen”