Ingrid - the most UNETHICAL Beauty Guru??

LuvLuv1D
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ingrid - the most UNETHICAL Beauty Guru??

Post by LuvLuv1D »

Hi girls!

Look, ask me when I’m having a bad day and I’ll be like, “I hate Ingrid, I hate them all!!!”

But if I’m being honest with you guys, I have become a lot more understanding over the years about bloggers and YouTubers. I used to be like, “they’re so narcissistic! They’re so in love with themselves.” My friend and I knew a girl we went to school with who had a successful blog and we would make fun of her behind her back all the time! We would read her blog just to make fun of it and even anonymously post mean comments.

Then I went through some hard times myself and I learned something: Everyone in life is just trying to do the best they can with the cards they’ve been dealt. It’s a simple statement but it made me powerfully shift my perception of life and made me become a lot less judgmental. And I also accepted that everyone in life wants to be successful, both men and women, race, religion, everyone.

In life, people have to work hard to create opportunities for themselves. I can’t judge anyone for that. You have to be the one to build the life you want. By the way, I no longer look down on bloggers and YouTubers. I think that if they are getting some kind of personal satisfaction and sense of fulfillment out of it, that is all that’s important! It isn’t easy to get ahead in life. Most adults I know don’t like their jobs- consider yourself a very lucky person if you can make a career out of doing something you love!

And if someone is rich, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re lazy or they’ve had an easy life. I know rich girls who work extremely hard in school and are incredibly smart and well-educated. The richest person I know, she got that way by having most of her family die. Her boyfriend left her after 3 years together and she suffers from all kinds of health problems, and has been hospitalized multiple times for eating disorders. I wouldn’t call her life easy just because she’s a millionaire.

Ingrid’s father died. Her mother had a serious illness. She recently broke up with her serious boyfriend she was in love with. Even if someone is rich and successful, people go through struggles in life that can be absolutely brutal. Did you hear about the Bachelor contestant, Gia, who just committed suicide? She was gorgeous and wealthy and had a boyfriend and friends and a loving family. But there was obviously a private struggle going on beneath the surface.

All I’m saying is, it’s fun to gossip and post mean comments online. I get it- it’s way more fun to post negative things than positive! But in your “real” life, try to be less judgmental of people you meet. Remember, everyone in life is just trying to do the best they can with the cards they’ve been dealt.

cherrygirl016

Post by cherrygirl016 »

Suspiria wrote:I don't think you know what ethical means.
Exactly. A Baby voice is annoying, not unethical.

cherrygirl016

Post by cherrygirl016 »

LuvLuv1D wrote:Hi girls!

Look, ask me when I’m having a bad day and I’ll be like, “I hate Ingrid, I hate them all!!!”

But if I’m being honest with you guys, I have become a lot more understanding over the years about bloggers and YouTubers. I used to be like, “they’re so narcissistic! They’re so in love with themselves.” My friend and I knew a girl we went to school with who had a successful blog and we would make fun of her behind her back all the time! We would read her blog just to make fun of it and even anonymously post mean comments.

Then I went through some hard times myself and I learned something: Everyone in life is just trying to do the best they can with the cards they’ve been dealt. It’s a simple statement but it made me powerfully shift my perception of life and made me become a lot less judgmental. And I also accepted that everyone in life wants to be successful, both men and women, race, religion, everyone.

In life, people have to work hard to create opportunities for themselves. I can’t judge anyone for that. You have to be the one to build the life you want. By the way, I no longer look down on bloggers and YouTubers. I think that if they are getting some kind of personal satisfaction and sense of fulfillment out of it, that is all that’s important! It isn’t easy to get ahead in life. Most adults I know don’t like their jobs- consider yourself a very lucky person if you can make a career out of doing something you love!

And if someone is rich, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re lazy or they’ve had an easy life. I know rich girls who work extremely hard in school and are incredibly smart and well-educated. The richest person I know, she got that way by having most of her family die. Her boyfriend left her after 3 years together and she suffers from all kinds of health problems, and has been hospitalized multiple times for eating disorders. I wouldn’t call her life easy just because she’s a millionaire.

Ingrid’s father died. Her mother had a serious illness. She recently broke up with her serious boyfriend she was in love with. Even if someone is rich and successful, people go through struggles in life that can be absolutely brutal. Did you hear about the Bachelor contestant, Gia, who just committed suicide? She was gorgeous and wealthy and had a boyfriend and friends and a loving family. But there was obviously a private struggle going on beneath the surface.

All I’m saying is, it’s fun to gossip and post mean comments online. I get it- it’s way more fun to post negative things than positive! But in your “real” life, try to be less judgmental of people you meet. Remember, everyone in life is just trying to do the best they can with the cards they’ve been dealt.
Sorry, didn't mean to ignore this post. I think it's so true and you sound so understanding.
I like to think that people on here are aware that they're being petty when they nitpick what gurus do, but it's pretty harmless. But of course, it's so important to think of the bigger picture and realize we're all just trying to do our best. That post made me feel better about humanity. Thanks.

makeupnewbie
Informer
Informer

Post by makeupnewbie »

Did anyone watch Qaadir (Timaya's) video on 'youtube shade and politics' and how it's all business and all the 'friendships' aren't authentic at all?

I think it's pretty clear he's talking about Shane Johnson cause he was in his videos and Shane was 'unpopular' in high school, but I wonder if he's talking about the beauty gurus as well cause wasn't he also in Blair's videos?

femmefatale
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by femmefatale »

IvyBronte wrote:
makeupnewbie wrote:
pumpkinparade wrote:The title of this thread isn't a very good use of the word ethical. However, I do agree with some of the points made here: Ingrid is kind of obnoxious and like most other beauty gurus, targets a highly materialistic lifestyle at young girls. I would have so much more respect for her if she did some charity videos or volunteering -- even if that meant something as simple as encouraging people to adopt pets from the ASPCA / animal rescues in a short video. (since I think she adopted her cat from the humane society or something?)
Why isn't it a good use for the term 'ethical'?
She lies to her fans about corporate sponsorships so she can get more views and money. She lies about her past to win over her fans. She promotes hardcore consumption and unattainable beauty standards to impressionable young girls, and fakes friendship with them. She has promoted products over and over that hurt animals, people, and the environment (Forever 21=sweatshops, makeup companies that test on animals).

You know why she's unethical? Cause she doesn't give a crap about anyone else's well-being but herself. She doesn't care that other people and animals hurt making the crap she promotes. She doesn't care that she's hooking young girls into constant consumption and materialism so that they can be like her. She doesn't care that all of these corporations are hooking her up with stuff which we don't know about because it MAKES HER MONEY. Can she for once promote a cause? Or cut down the shopping? Look I know a ton of people shop at Forever 21 and Victoria's Secret but couldn't she cut down the excessive shopping at sweatshop-retailers? If she's so supposedly smart than maybe she would think about the consequences of her actions are. But she doesn't give a crap. It's all about Ingrid. Why should she care about anyone else as long as she's getting what she wants? I honestly don't know how she sleeps at night knowing that she just touted a Chanel bag to 8 year old girls, or that she's raving about products which she so clearly doesn't use that has been given to her by Big Daddy over at so and so corporation. Has anyone noticed that she's one of the few gurus that doesn't shoot a 'hits and misses' video?
At least Fleur will pretty much in every video say what products disappointed her. Ingrid never talks about the products she doesn't like (I could probably count them on two hands), and you know why? Cause she's not honest, and there's no way she'd want to cut ties with a company that is so clearly funding her. She disgusts me. Don't be fooled by the baby voice, hyper laugh, and clean-cut look....she's crazy manipulative. OR she didn't used to be, and then got caught up in the machine, and threw out her moral compass at the door. Ugh.
This comment is so on point, I couldn't agree more, Ingrid can be a very unethical person (the cosmetic surgery drama is just the tip of the iceberg), the fact that she puts a disclaimer in all of her videos stating that she purchases most of the products herself, or that the products were sent for "consideration" or sent as gifts by her awesome friends and that she will mark them with an * , but I have never seen or remember her stating that a video was made in collaboration or was sponsored by a company? Apparently she never does sponsored videos, even when other gurus are being sponsored by the same brands and products and are very open about the sponsorships. I understand the difference between being sponsored and getting products for free but apparently this girl for some reason never or almost never gets paid to do videos she always gets stuff for free. Very suspicious indeed, what's the scheme? does she get sponsored but buy the products that she features in her videos? Ingrid used to be my favorite guru and I was very influenced by her opinions, I started to purchase products that she recommend and they were bad, I learn the hard way! Other red flag is that she constantly changes products. When a product is good you keep using it forever or at least until it stops working. I don't trust her anymore. I kinda like itsjudytime, she's very open when being sponsored. She is very honest in her opinions and if she needs to slam a product, she will. Love her first impressions! She even reviewed Michelle Phan's EM cosmetics and was very honest about them, the mascara was a total fail. I remember after that Ingrid was on a trip to NY and met with Michelle, Ingrid then made a video (maybe a monthly favorite, don't recall) talking about the EM mascara and saying that it was THE BEST! Suspicious indeed! It's so hard trusting gurus these days, do you guys have any recommendations?

MisterMaker
Lurker
Lurker

Post by MisterMaker »

and now she's nominated for Teen's Choice Awards!!

PokeitPokeit
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PokeitPokeit »

Kleineganz wrote: I don't like people saying that so-and-so doesn't "deserve" the money they earn. When has earning money ever been about deserving it, especially when earning through advertising revenue? Lots of people earn thousands and millions of dollars through advertising revenue every year, without doing a lot. It's just the way the entertainment industry works.

You can have the opinion that Ingrid isn't an entertainer, yet her over 1 million subs clearly find her entertaining enough to keep watching her. As long as people keep watching, she will keep earning that income ... "deserving" of it or not.
Because a lot of people earn money that way does NOT mean that they deserve it. Drug dealer earn easy money. They don't deserve the money they make. Ingrid doesn't either, and with her most of the Youtube "gurus". If all of them would disappear from the face of the earth the would would keep spinning. It might actually be a better place since young kids would maybe get out of the house, or pick up a book and study rather than dream about sitting on their asses and making it big on youtube.

Sorry for the rant, but after her plastic sugary video I say she doesn't deserve a penny. :angel: (not that before she deserved much)

angelaj0921
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by angelaj0921 »

MisterMaker wrote:and now she's nominated for Teen's Choice Awards!!

Man Lisa must have some Ah-mazing contacts. Also, Interesting she's nominated for a teen choice award considering most of her audience is over 18. :roll:

pussyglitter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pussyglitter »

angelaj0921 wrote:Interesting she's nominated for a teen choice award considering most of her audience is over 18. :roll:

LOL tweet that comment to her! :tu:

well wait idk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by well wait idk »

whats the category for the award?

an0n
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by an0n »

She's up for "Choice Web Star: Fashion/Beauty" but it's really really nothing impressive or exciting at all. Maybe years ago when Elle and Blair were the first ever in the category and paving the road but look how many web categories they have and look who's nominated in all of them. Simply by having a TEEN audience and acting like a teen herself with the number of subs she has she was getting a nomination even if her manager did nothing.

http://www.teenchoiceawards.com/tcnews.aspx

SchruteFarms
Informer
Informer

Post by SchruteFarms »

My problem with Ingrid is a part of my even bigger dissatisfaction with where Youtube is going. Not too long ago Youtube was an awesome idea, a trusted community where you could get actual reviews and product info and trust that the creator actually enjoyed the product. Now it's all a big commercial and that shift has been extremely disappointing. Youtube isn't somewhere to come watch videos for entertainment anymore but more to watch a bunch of advertisements, most of the time for products that aren't even worth it.
Youtube was such a good idea and a good place but THAT youtube is pretty much gone now; which is exactly how I feel about Ingrid and many other of my old favorite youtubers.

angelaj0921
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by angelaj0921 »

Honestly, I don't think she has a shot at winning. Bethany Mota is the clear front runner considering how big her audience is along with the fact that she IS a teenager with millions of teenage subs, and Zoe will probably be a close second.

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Username »

^^ you're absolutely correct timing has a lot to do with YT success - at least it's true for beauty gurus. Almost all the top beauty gurus started between 2007-2009. Those were the golden years when you had a shot at making it big on YT. Now it's nearly impossible to explode in popularity, without a whole lot of luck.

Return to “Ingrid Nilsen”