"Why I Left" Video

toph_bei_fong
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: "Why I Left" Video

Post by toph_bei_fong »

So....I haven't been around here in years, but today MP's "Why I Left" video popped up in my feed.

I was curious to know more about what happened with her, so I read her Teen Vogue article.

You know....the one where she compares herself to Simba from The Lion King.

:(

Oof. Why? I never think about her any more, and I don't hate her. I view people less as villians and more like people who are hurting these days. But....really? Oh, come on. That line about Simba had my thoughts racing right back to the forum, lol.

I hope she's able to surround herself with people who are brave enough to tell her what she needs to hear. And I can easily see how she would succumb to depression (though I'd hope she went beyond the "self-diagnose" part and was responsible enough to find an actual doctor to work with). Depression is awful, no matter who suffers from it.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

toph_bei_fong wrote:So....I haven't been around here in years, but today MP's "Why I Left" video popped up in my feed.

I was curious to know more about what happened with her, so I read her Teen Vogue article.

You know....the one where she compares herself to Simba from The Lion King.

:(

Oof. Why? I never think about her any more, and I don't hate her. I view people less as villians and more like people who are hurting these days. But....really? Oh, come on. That line about Simba had my thoughts racing right back to the forum, lol.

I hope she's able to surround herself with people who are brave enough to tell her what she needs to hear. And I can easily see how she would succumb to depression (though I'd hope she went beyond the "self-diagnose" part and was responsible enough to find an actual doctor to work with). Depression is awful, no matter who suffers from it.
Wait, which article is that?

toph_bei_fong
Learner
Learner

Post by toph_bei_fong »

It's this one: http://www.teenvogue.com/story/michelle ... -interview

The specific excerpt at the end:
But I made it out. I am not gone, guys. I’m stronger than ever. We all go through this. It’s like the hero’s journey. It’s like The Lion King — Simba went through this, I went through this. You rise, you fall, and then you rise even higher.

Evil_robot
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Evil_robot »

is she high or smth, lmao?

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

toph_bei_fong wrote:It's this one: http://www.teenvogue.com/story/michelle ... -interview

But I made it out. I am not gone, guys. I’m stronger than ever. We all go through this. It’s like the hero’s journey. It’s like The Lion King — Simba went through this, I went through this. You rise, you fall, and then you rise even higher.
If she didn't use these ridiculous childish metaphors, it would be a lot easier to take her seriously.

lookanothergossiper
Learner
Learner

Post by lookanothergossiper »

Trololol wrote:
toph_bei_fong wrote:It's this one: [url]<a class="vglnk" href="http://www.teenvogue.com/story/michelle ... -interview[/url" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>teenvogue</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>story</span><span>/</span><span>michelle</span><span>-</span><span>phan</span><span>-</span><span>social</span><span>-</span><span>media</span><span>-</span><span>detox</span><span>-</span><span>em</span><span>-</span><span>cosmetics</span><span>-</span><span>relaunch</span><span>-</span><span>interview</span><span>[/</span><span>url</span></a>]

If she didn't use these ridiculous childish metaphors, it would be a lot easier to take her seriously.
I don't see anything wrong with using the lion king as a metaphor. It is for teen vogue. Maybe she was trying to find a story that most could relate ( and not religious )

Her forum has been largely inactive and quite boring. RIP

ThatoneKid
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by ThatoneKid »

Taken in the context of who she is (a shifty youtuber) I actually thought it was a pretty decent video. I mean, she's been selling out for ages and (talking from experience) old habits die hard. I know what it's like to have a tendency to overproduce, and the habit of marketing yourself can be tough to kill.
But damn, I wonder who this girl calls friends. Friends are there to kick you when you're being stupid and tell you to knock it off.
I'll have to admit, I did get some feels. Reason being, I remember those old videos. I liked the fact she was geeky. I still love rice water. As corny and potentially deceitful this new video was, she's right about one thing: the beginning of YouTube was real.
Also, the critique of "she should have animated her own video" is stupid. It just makes sense to delegate stuff like animation. I do think she should have showed her damn face though.

ThatoneKid
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by ThatoneKid »

The main thing is that lawsuit... :?

AishwaryaNet
Learner
Learner

Post by AishwaryaNet »

I wonder if she will ever post again on YouTube. She still does on Instagram, albeit intermittently.

AlexVause
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AlexVause »

Anyone wonder how she briefed the artist who made her video?
"So in my video, I have huge ass eyes and I'm WHITE."

Chlorophyll
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Chlorophyll »

AlexVause wrote:Anyone wonder how she briefed the artist who made her video?
"So in my video, I have huge ass eyes and I'm WHITE."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I am most likely not going to be returning to the forum in the future! But I would like to thank all of you for the advise, humor, and support I have received during my years of participation here. This place doesn't deserve the hate it gets! :tu:

AishwaryaNet
Learner
Learner

Post by AishwaryaNet »

Her sister-in-law posted a video with her; she looks so sad here

karma_93
Wallflower
Wallflower

Re: General Discussion - Part 7

Post by karma_93 »

Vill W wrote:Am I the only one who's sick of her whole, 'I gave up being a doctor to chase my dreams!' I mean, that's complete bullshit. Just by listening to the way she forms her sentences and her beliefs and you can tell she isn't smart. I don't believe she would've been accepted into any medical school.

AND, the whole thing about not thinking about money as a kid. There is NO WAY a poor kid wouldn't think about money. Dude, when I was a kid I would freak out when we needed money for school trips (even if it was $2 or something). I wouldn't buy stuff even when I needed it and would be scared to ask my mum for money. If you're poor YOU WILL think about money. The thought is just there, lying behind every decision.

I only just found out that she didn't do the art in the video. Here I was thinking her proportions had improved. I do think that is her style though. Still laughing at the 'do you draw for wikihow comment.'
Couldn't agree with you more!
Michelle, get the fuck over yourself, medical school is no joke. You wouldn't have been accepted in the first place. Get off your high horse and stop playing this smart woman shit.
* English isn't my first language.

Chlorophyll
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Chlorophyll »

Vill W wrote:Am I the only one who's sick of her whole, 'I gave up being a doctor to chase my dreams!' I mean, that's complete bullshit. Just by listening to the way she forms her sentences and her beliefs and you can tell she isn't smart. I don't believe she would've been accepted into any medical school.

AND, the whole thing about not thinking about money as a kid. There is NO WAY a poor kid wouldn't think about money. Dude, when I was a kid I would freak out when we needed money for school trips (even if it was $2 or something). I wouldn't buy stuff even when I needed it and would be scared to ask my mum for money. If you're poor YOU WILL think about money. The thought is just there, lying behind every decision.
So. Much. This.

I was paranoid about money starting in grade school. Most people who grew up hell poor are the same way. She's just artistic and unrealistic and spent her days with her head in the clouds....and her dumb ass actually thinks that's a GOOD thing. :roll: :roll: :roll:

There's no way someone as "free spirited" as her could have made it into med school. Even if she did manage to get in, she would have wiped out in the first semester. Guaranteed.
I am most likely not going to be returning to the forum in the future! But I would like to thank all of you for the advise, humor, and support I have received during my years of participation here. This place doesn't deserve the hate it gets! :tu:

to-be-continued1
Talker
Talker

Post by to-be-continued1 »

the video just proves that michelle is literally so detached from reality it's insane. :roll: i'm glad she's off youtube and she should stay there!

i love how she genuinely seems to believe that she is some kind of makeup mastermind. :rofl: her makeup "skills" are deplorable. you can even see blur filter effects in her makeup tutorials. i wouldn't even consider her a makeup artist let alone a creative makeup genius.

she also can't draw for shit! i can't imagine any other future career for her. michelle, you've been irrelevant! :tu:

Post by Guest »

I think its because of all these other successful beauty gurus that she sees with over 5million subscirbers and knowing she’ll never be on that level or even has talent on that level. Thats what depresses her. She used to be at the top and now everyones up there & no one cares about her. Thats why she doesnt want to do it. It was all about ‘following your dream being creative’ when she was #1 on youtube & now she’s stuck. Wtf.

Post by Guest »

I think its because of all these other successful beauty gurus that she sees with over 5million subscirbers and knowing she’ll never be on that level or even has talent on that level. Thats what depresses her. She used to be at the top and now everyones up there & no one cares about her. Thats why she doesnt want to do it. It was all about ‘following your dream being creative’ when she was #1 on youtube & now she’s stuck. Wtf.

allsaints
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by allsaints »

callme2chainz wrote:I think its because of all these other successful beauty gurus that she sees with over 5million subscirbers and knowing she’ll never be on that level or even has talent on that level. Thats what depresses her. She used to be at the top and now everyones up there & no one cares about her. Thats why she doesnt want to do it. It was all about ‘following your dream being creative’ when she was #1 on youtube & now she’s stuck. Wtf.
But that's her fault. She decided to leave. She could have easily passed 5 million because the standards for YouTube is so low now. I see people who do sporadic or the same videos over and over (like her protégés LaMadelynn and Karen) and still crossed past 1.5 mill. She was also rich enough to hire people to be the buffer between mean viewers and herself. All she had to do is appear on camera.

Return to “Michelle Phan”