Comic Book Series "HELIOS : FEMINA"

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Comic Book Series "HELIOS : FEMINA"

Post by Trololol »

I got bored so I reread this forum. I clicked on the FB page for the comic and surprise, it's gone.

Dismal_bismuth
Learner
Learner

Post by Dismal_bismuth »

Yo what up, here to revive a dead thread. I missed talking to you guys about this and about Michelle in general, but she's been so inactive that there's literally been nothing to talk about. Until now that is: IT'S COMING BACK LOL

I was re-reading this forum because I was bored, then I checked out Michelle's instagram and noticed that there were some sketches of the main characters drawn by Avery Ota (the actual artist for H:F if I remember correctly) that are apparently for Book II. According to Michelle's comment on Bebo's sketch, "26 chapters have been mapped out, so far 5 chapters are drawn, 4 are fully colored and soundtracked". She wants to release it when everything is finished which she hopes will be Fall of this year. Mind you, these were posted on the 3rd of January and there hasn't been an update since, from both Michelle and Avery. Either way, consider my interest piqued - it's been so long since she ended Season 1/Book I that I'm curious to see what the reception for the upcoming book will be and how the story will develop. Genuinely didn't think that a Book II would come to fruition.

With regards to the art, it's much, much better than what we saw in the comic, and I'm glad that Michelle credited the actual artist instead of misleading her followers into thinking it was all her. A quick perusal of Avery's instagram shows that it's closer to her natural style, which leads me to believe that this time around, she will probably be the main, if not the only artist. I think the main reason why the art was so bad in the comic was because it was either drawn by Michelle, or drawn by Avery (and maybe a few other artists) trying to mimic Michelle's style.

Anyway, the sketches are very close to the semi-realistic anime art style that I'm partial towards, so I think they look really good. Some criticisms however, the character's necks are weirdly long and thin and their faces got hit with a slight case of same face syndrome (although I think Avery spent a lot of time on Rhea haha). Additionally, the clothing style is completely different to what we saw in the comic - it's closer to present day active wear than the futuristic sci-fi aesthetic they were previously going for. I don't know if this means they're revamping the whole story or just the art style and what this means for the plot (e.g. Will the changes be explained/retconned/ignored?) or if it's just promo to build up hype and it's actually not what the final product will look like. On the plus side, Bebo actually looks cute now and not like a soulless demon bunny (still hate him though lol).

Regardless, even if the art improved, it still doesn't change the fact that the story was a mess. The plot points were convoluted, unexplained and unfinished, the characters bland, under-developed and self-indulgent. What we ended up with was a confusing story that promised so much, yet failed to hit the mark in every aspect. It would be better if they just restarted everything, with better art and a better plot instead of trying to build upon where they left off ; it's been long enough that they could get away with it.

Dismal_bismuth
Learner
Learner

Post by Dismal_bismuth »

Double post, I know. Call me crazy, but did she add some panels to the first chapter (The Last Star Cycle) and get rid of some others? I re-read it just now and the first few panels aren't ones that I remember seeing when it first came out. I recall it beginning with an omniscient narrator going off about something philosophical and beautiful or whatever, before panning to a shot of the enchantress and Bebo walking towards some huge crystals. Perhaps I'm remembering it incorrectly, after all it's been so long; I haven't been keeping up with this and some new panels for exposition(ish) aren't really a big deal lol.

It's essentially Bebo walking through this forest-y grove and seeing the enchantress doing some magic in front of a small crowd of children. She's surprised to see him after 300 years, they lament on this and Bebo says something about remembering the enchantress' previous life. I feel like this is implying that Rhea is the reincarnate of the enchantress (at least that's how I interpreted it), but for this plot point to really work, they'll need to retcon.

I brought this up mainly because I have questions. Firstly, when did this get included if it wasn't always there? Secondly, and more importantly why and what for? The comic is marked as completed on webtoons and no updates have been given, so readers who read it when it first came out don't benefit from the added panels, especially since they don't add more to or change the story. Is it because of the upcoming Book?

Anyway, the main reason why I think this was added in post is because the art style is so different compared to the original panels, which are still there why do they look so low-res though?. The line work is more crisp, the backgrounds more detailed and the anatomy less awkward. Hell just comparing Bebo in the new panels to how he looks in the old is pretty jarring. It definitely looks more like Ota's work. But still, I don't get why - I skimmed the next few chapters after this one and it didn't seem like they added anything significantly new. I just noticed that she got rid of the whole "Level III being" in next chapter - probably because it makes no sense and she never bothered to explain it lol

Noko
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Noko »

Dismal_bismuth wrote:Yo what up, here to revive a dead thread. I missed talking to you guys about this and about Michelle in general, but she's been so inactive that there's literally been nothing to talk about. Until now that is: IT'S COMING BACK LOL
omg please let it be true. I hate it so much.. but I love it.
Although I can't rag on it too harshly if michelle isn't the one doing the art lol. I wonder if she got help with the plot this time (I think that will be easy enough to tell...)
but I will say I'm kind of glad she's going to release it with a buffer this time. She really underestimated how much work it is to make a webcomic. you can't just shit it out like she did with her videos (in the death throes of her channel.)

...I look forward to it :3c

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

Gotta say I feel bad for Avery no doubt in my mind that Michelle hasn't drawn a single thing for Helios Femina II.

Chlorophyll
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Chlorophyll »

I hate to bring up an old issue without provocation, but I am posting in this thread so I will remember to look into this series further when I have the proper time to. I've heard so many things about it (mostly from this forum) and I've gotten rather curious about it. I didn't have time to read it when it was first being created.

I read/scrolled through the acknowledgments and the first 2 chapters already. It seems like atypical Mish fairy tale weirdness so far. I'm up to the part where a moon gets destroyed (I think?) Is it so-bad-its-good enough for me to continue on, or is it just SO terrible that it isn't even worth my time? I don't mind spoilers at all. I'd appreciate an honest synopsis from people who know Mish and know how to "sell" it to me. :D
I am most likely not going to be returning to the forum in the future! But I would like to thank all of you for the advise, humor, and support I have received during my years of participation here. This place doesn't deserve the hate it gets! :tu:

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

Chlorophyll wrote:I hate to bring up an old issue without provocation, but I am posting in this thread so I will remember to look into this series further when I have the proper time to. I've heard so many things about it (mostly from this forum) and I've gotten rather curious about it. I didn't have time to read it when it was first being created.

I read/scrolled through the acknowledgments and the first 2 chapters already. It seems like atypical Mish fairy tale weirdness so far. I'm up to the part where a moon gets destroyed (I think?) Is it so-bad-its-good enough for me to continue on, or is it just SO terrible that it isn't even worth my time? I don't mind spoilers at all. I'd appreciate an honest synopsis from people who know Mish and know how to "sell" it to me. :D
There's a silent ninja type guy who looks like Dom, there's attempted rape as well, so beware.

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

🤔🤔🤔
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fairwind
Learner
Learner

Post by Fairwind »

is it just me or her drawing style suddenly changed drastically. like... it's actually good? especially the eyes, eyebrows, everything. and of course, she had to copy from kingdom hearts lol

amuto_lover
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by amuto_lover »

Fairwind wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:04 am
is it just me or her drawing style suddenly changed drastically. like... it's actually good? especially the eyes, eyebrows, everything. and of course, she had to copy from kingdom hearts lol
This is not Michelle’s work it’s Avery ota’s. Michelle has commissioned her to do the art for hf which she’s very open with. There’s hasn’t been any evidence of Michelle doing a lick of work for Helios’ art. So she can fuck off if she’s going to write
“ Art, writing, etc by Michelle Phan “
“Art by Avery Ota “
It’s bullshit it’s not even her comic anymore. I honestly hope that Avery is getting a fair cut for the work she is doing other wise it’s day light robbery on Michelle’s part.
I honestly don’t get why she’d bother commissioning all these people to work on her comic so she can slap her name on it for what? A few dollars? It can’t be passion because she’s had no involvement.

fabulosita
Lurker
Lurker

Post by fabulosita »

I know it's practically necrophilia what I'm doing, but after seeing that Michelle came back, I run through some of her dramas/projects. And while she seems pretty tame comparing to some youtubers (Kuckian... how lowe did we all fall, right?) there is a lot of happening here.
Anyways, I tried to re-read Hellios, got bored, not my cup of tea. However I couldn't find info about real artist on a weebtoon page, I am not saying there is NO information, but it's really well hidden. And that's not nice.
I sensed tension and came as fast as I could!

Return to “Michelle Phan”