clothesencounters

Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

clothesencounters

Post by 12345 »

Something about this girl..I can't seem to love. Initially, I was drawn to her because she's cute, sounds smart, has funky style with cool video editing skills. I first found out about her because I found out about Weirddough's music from Beautycrush. I was hooked on her videos.

I met her in person last summer and she was flat out OBNOXIOUS. I gave her the benefit of the doubt but it was a public event (her yard sale) so it's not like she was having one bad day or something. The way she talked, the way she presented herself was completely OPPOSITE from the way she portrayed herself from her videos, which is casual, intelligent, and easy-going--the main reasons why her viewers love her.
It wasn't just my opinion either, I knew two separate parties who also have talked to her at the yard sale saying she's not what she seems like in her videos..that she was annoying and obnoxious. But whatever, everyone has opinions.

Another thing, this girl smokes cigarettes..saw it on multiple pictures on instagram. I don't know why but I was very disappointed. She smokes weed too..just look it up on her instagram. some stoners account commented something along the lines of Yeaaah you smoke weed woo! and she replied to them by saying ";)"
Nothing against smokers, I was just disappointed for some odd reason. Does anyone else feel the same way? lol like I have been deceived or something. Her smoking cigarettes probably caused her to lose a lot of weight too.

Also, the red house (that has the cool geometric figures) that she used to film at is her boyfriend's house. He is some 29 year old guy that she's been dating for years (won't say the name). I get that she's very private about her personal life but why does she always have to lie when her viewers ask who films her that it's her "housemate."

I don't know. After meeting her, I was very turned off because I feel like she's very fake and portrays this amazinggggggggg persona on camera when she really isn't. I admit, she is this incredible, smart, confident young girl on her videos. I stopped watching when she was doing giveaways(sponsored vids) literally every other videos too. I guess to be successful you gotta be deceiving.

graylights
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: clothesencounters

Post by graylights »

I did a double take when I saw that there was a thread for her here because it seems people are absolutely in love with everything about this girl. I'm really intrigued with your impression of her because her attitude and persona play off so naturally on camera, I never really thought twice about her possibly being obnoxious. Could you share more about the experience?

My only qualm with her I guess is her response to being called out for her offensive appropriation of a Native headdress. I'm not overly PC myself but I know enough to immediately apologize and educate myself if someone approaches me for being offensive. No Jen, you are not admiring or honoring the Natives, you are being an ignorant hipster.

Aside from her constant sponsor videos, I find her relaxing to watch, mostly because I'm sick and tired of beauty gurus who can't go more than two words without saying cute. Fake or not, I suppose she's succeeded at selling an image.

Did not expect her to have a boyfriend, however. She certainly manages her privacy well. Is he Koream?

Learner
Learner

Post by 12345 »

It's rather hard to describe in text. All I know is that I was very taken back after having conversations with her because she wasn't how I expected after obsessing over her via internet for over a year. Don't get me wrong, she was friendly, just very....obnoxious. Sorry to be redundant lol.

She's totally adorable and flirty in front of camera, that's for sure. So I think she is natural when it comes to that. My guess is that she rehearses everything she says including her word choices. But I can't blame her for wanting to seem perfect for the huge audience now she has. Also I think being in university helped her with vocabulary because she certainly did not talk like how she does now in her old videos/interviews.

As for her boyfriend, she mentions in her old videos about him living 300 miles away from la (sf/davis area). He's a white dude who created the iPhone app called, The Eatery. She mentioned in an interview that he films a lot of her videos. I believe he's into photography as a hobby (by the looks of his instagram. I actually enjoy his photos)--which explains some amazing filmings of Jenn.

What's the story with the headdresses? I know she had some backlashes regarding her wearing upside down crosses, unif's go to hell sweater, and doing illuminati signs in her pictures. Btw she follows The Illuminati on her twitter...hmm

Meeper
Learner
Learner

Post by Meeper »

Not sure i get what the problem would be if she was friendly? When you say obnoxious do you mean she was full of herself or not really wanting to talk with you?

As for smoking, doesn't really surprise me, she's a hipster and having seen her friends in videos, they're all the same type.

Regardless, I really like her videos, no waffle and she keeps her private life private. I also like her taste in music and her vlog style videos. People have to stop thinking they know YTers from just watching their videos, you'll be less disappointed and they're never going to show strangers on the Internet every aspect of their lives. I never really got the impression that she was a wholesome good girl perhaps it's because I know the type.

llg1234
Stalker
Stalker

Post by llg1234 »

Meh, the bit about smoking/having an older bf doesn't bother me, it's her personal life and as long as she isn't being hypocritical (i.e. talking about how smoking is bad for your health) then I don't see why it's relevant.

BUT, I have recently stopped subscribing to her because I feel like her style has gotten a lot more...tacky. She still has nice videos every once in awhile, but overall I'm not a fan her look b/c she basically just takes whatever trends are popular among tumblr hipsters and throws it on. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten much backlash considering the recent rise in sponsored videos (especially since a lot of the clothes she's given are just over-priced Urban Outfitters-esque pieces). I always preferred Sarah's style over Jenn anyways (always that's way in the past by now)

JohannaJacoba
Talker
Talker

Post by JohannaJacoba »

Her videos are really well made and of high quality imo. Her personality SEEMS great as well, she listens to the same music I do and goes to the same kind of places. That's why I love(d) watching her and I have the feeling I can relate. The smoking and weedthing doesn't bother me because well uhm.. guilty :).

In a few things she was one of the first ones to see around with, eg Lita's, discopants, headaccesories, Deandri's etc. But lately I don't find her style not special anymore. The layering-video was absolutely not better than average. And I just can't get over all the sponsored items she gets and fully promotes. I wonder when was the last time she bought anything herself. Not that I blame her for doing that, but that's not what her first viewers came and stayed for. She lost the whole thrift-vibe she had when Sarah was still around imo. Plus I don't like grav3yardgirl and they hang out together at imats...

moomin
Informer
Informer

Post by moomin »

12345 wrote:Something about this girl..I can't seem to love. Initially, I was drawn to her because she's cute, sounds smart, has funky style with cool video editing skills. I first found out about her because I found out about Weirddough's music from Beautycrush. I was hooked on her videos.

I met her in person last summer and she was flat out OBNOXIOUS. I gave her the benefit of the doubt but it was a public event (her yard sale) so it's not like she was having one bad day or something. The way she talked, the way she presented herself was completely OPPOSITE from the way she portrayed herself from her videos, which is casual, intelligent, and easy-going--the main reasons why her viewers love her.
It wasn't just my opinion either, I knew two separate parties who also have talked to her at the yard sale saying she's not what she seems like in her videos..that she was annoying and obnoxious. But whatever, everyone has opinions.

Another thing, this girl smokes cigarettes..saw it on multiple pictures on instagram. I don't know why but I was very disappointed. She smokes weed too..just look it up on her instagram. some stoners account commented something along the lines of Yeaaah you smoke weed woo! and she replied to them by saying ";)"
Nothing against smokers, I was just disappointed for some odd reason. Does anyone else feel the same way? lol like I have been deceived or something. Her smoking cigarettes probably caused her to lose a lot of weight too.

Also, the red house (that has the cool geometric figures) that she used to film at is her boyfriend's house. He is some 29 year old guy that she's been dating for years (won't say the name). I get that she's very private about her personal life but why does she always have to lie when her viewers ask who films her that it's her "housemate."

I don't know. After meeting her, I was very turned off because I feel like she's very fake and portrays this amazinggggggggg persona on camera when she really isn't. I admit, she is this incredible, smart, confident young girl on her videos. I stopped watching when she was doing giveaways(sponsored vids) literally every other videos too. I guess to be successful you gotta be deceiving.
So she smokes , might not be the best decision but she is an adult and it's her choice.
So she has a boyfriend a few years older than her, no big deal.
So she treated you like the stranger you are to her, just because you watch someone's videos doesn't mean you actually know the person and are there friend.

I can't understand the "problems" you have with her. Her private life is her private life, simple.

iliketoprocrastinate
Lurker
Lurker

Post by iliketoprocrastinate »

I thought it was just me who found there was something off with her! She's raved about so often that sometimes I feel like I MUST watch her or I'll miss out. I haven't unsubscribed because I like her personality, even if she's just pretending to be nice.

JohannaJacoba is right, her thrifty style was what made her well-known on Youtube and I liked what she wore back then... Now, most of the pieces she gets (sponsored or not) are just... I don't know if she's not so great at layering, but I cringe when I look at some of her winter outfits.

Learner
Learner

Post by 12345 »

JohannaJacoba wrote:Her videos are really well made and of high quality imo. Her personality SEEMS great as well, she listens to the same music I do and goes to the same kind of places. That's why I love(d) watching her and I have the feeling I can relate. The smoking and weedthing doesn't bother me because well uhm.. guilty :).

In a few things she was one of the first ones to see around with, eg Lita's, discopants, headaccesories, Deandri's etc. But lately I don't find her style not special anymore. The layering-video was absolutely not better than average. And I just can't get over all the sponsored items she gets and fully promotes. I wonder when was the last time she bought anything herself. Not that I blame her for doing that, but that's not what her first viewers came and stayed for. She lost the whole thrift-vibe she had when Sarah was still around imo. Plus I don't like grav3yardgirl and they hang out together at imats...
Exactly.. besides a few tag/about me videos, it's ALL been sponsored. with maybe 2 little things thrown in from Goodwill like her belt.
At the Davis Flea Market where she sold a lot of her clothes to her subscribers, she sold what she got for FREE from sponsors like Mono B for $15-25 a piece...wtf? I know stores that carry those brands like Mono B and Dailylook items and they are all retailed around $13+ Not that it's important, don't make it more than Goodwill price for stuff you got for free, girl.

Learner
Learner

Post by 12345 »

moomin wrote:
12345 wrote:Something about this girl..I can't seem to love. Initially, I was drawn to her because she's cute, sounds smart, has funky style with cool video editing skills. I first found out about her because I found out about Weirddough's music from Beautycrush. I was hooked on her videos.

So she smokes , might not be the best decision but she is an adult and it's her choice.
So she has a boyfriend a few years older than her, no big deal.
So she treated you like the stranger you are to her, just because you watch someone's videos doesn't mean you actually know the person and are there friend.

I can't understand the "problems" you have with her. Her private life is her private life, simple.
Haha. Isn't this a place to gossip about gurus? Don't be so serious-- I was just sharing what I thought about her and how she wasn't how she is in her videos.

Learner
Learner

Post by 12345 »

iliketoprocrastinate wrote:I thought it was just me who found there was something off with her! She's raved about so often that sometimes I feel like I MUST watch her or I'll miss out. I haven't unsubscribed because I like her personality, even if she's just pretending to be nice.

JohannaJacoba is right, her thrifty style was what made her well-known on Youtube and I liked what she wore back then... Now, most of the pieces she gets (sponsored or not) are just... I don't know if she's not so great at layering, but I cringe when I look at some of her winter outfits.
Yeah the outfits aren't really that special anymore. I really miss it when she would film with Sarah. People (and Jenn) say "these are for inspiration, you don't have to buy the items." While this is true, she is lacking her original thrifty style, one of the main reasons people started watching her. I don't know. I guess I can't blame her for continued free clothes from sponsors and commission, she just ain't the same anymore. but still, I know girls are all OMG I WANT YOUR CLOSETTTTTT I LOVE YOUR STYLE

Learner
Learner

Post by 12345 »

I'm bored and don't have work today. Literally have nothing better to do than sit here replying gossips about some silly girl. lol

margielamoi
Learner
Learner

Post by margielamoi »

i've never liked her actually....think I might be the only one! There's just something about her personality that is incredibly put on, in my opinion. I also don't like her style, maybe it was good when she first started I don't know, right now it's just what everybody else wears..

Learner
Learner

Post by 12345 »

llg1234 wrote:Meh, the bit about smoking/having an older bf doesn't bother me, it's her personal life and as long as she isn't being hypocritical (i.e. talking about how smoking is bad for your health) then I don't see why it's relevant.

BUT, I have recently stopped subscribing to her because I feel like her style has gotten a lot more...tacky. She still has nice videos every once in awhile, but overall I'm not a fan her look b/c she basically just takes whatever trends are popular among tumblr hipsters and throws it on. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten much backlash considering the recent rise in sponsored videos (especially since a lot of the clothes she's given are just over-priced Urban Outfitters-esque pieces). I always preferred Sarah's style over Jenn anyways (always that's way in the past by now)
Because she has more fans that will woo her than fans that will speak the truth and confront her :/ but I agree about the tacky trendy outfits.

JohannaJacoba
Talker
Talker

Post by JohannaJacoba »

12345 wrote:I'm bored and don't have work today. Literally have nothing better to do than sit here replying gossips about some silly girl. lol
Haha! Well, aren't we silly ourselves ;)? GG always helps me with my boredom...

Learner
Learner

Post by 12345 »

JohannaJacoba wrote:
12345 wrote:I'm bored and don't have work today. Literally have nothing better to do than sit here replying gossips about some silly girl. lol
Haha! Well, aren't we silly ourselves ;)? GG always helps me with my boredom...
Yes...I just found out about this site two days ago. This will be the site to go to when I'm bored from now on hahaha

helloparis
Informer
Informer

Post by helloparis »

I just started watching Jenn a couple months ago and she seems like a really down-to-earth, friendly and well-spoken girl. I also love her style, even though I can't really pull-off half of the outfits she wears myself! I love watching Jen for style inspiration though.

I'm actually a little surprised to hear that she smokes cigs/weed. She seems realy innocent on camera, so I would have never expected that. Meh, I'm not really into drugs myself, but it's her life. That's interesting about her boyfriend. At least Jenn is smart enough not to vlog TOO much of her life... I find that when YT-ers reveal too much about their offline lives, there is a lot more drama, crazy obsessions and more gossip here on GG haha.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how tall Jenn is?

pie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by pie »

helloparis wrote:Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how tall Jenn is?
On her YouTube side bar she stated she's 5'1".

checkmatey
Debater
Debater

Post by checkmatey »

I usually like her, but the smoking weed/cigs thing is really depressing. sigh
and her sponsored videos lately is annoying. i also hate that she buys super expensive stuff now. i love unif but fuck i cant afford it. i hate that she drops like $100 for a hoodie now

aerooverthesea
Learner
Learner

Post by aerooverthesea »

her style has definitely gotten tackier by the minute.
i unsubscribed from this girl when she started just posting sponsor after sponsor videos.
i understand she's really down to earth on camera and all but the fact that she rarely ever features thrifted pieces anymore is what made me say bye to her. sorry but sweetheart we all don't have a ton of money to drop a chunk of change on expensive dresses and shoes.

Return to “Jenn Im”