vanillafilter
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Vagabond Youth

Post by vanillafilter »

Is this girl even relevant enough to have a trash a guru topic? LOL

I've been watching her videos for a little while and I have some thoughts.

For one thing, I cannot get over her nasally voice. Like does this girl have a deviated septum or something and needs surgery on her nose?! She's so congested all the time, I just want to feed her some Sudafed or something. I also feel like her got her dog because it just looked cute, and it was the cutest thing ever when she first got her but now that she's growing up and not tiny she's not as cute and she doesn't show her off as much on her videos. And I feel like she tries so hard to get Jenn Im's attention- she's always commenting on Jenn's youtube videos but it doesn't seem like she's ever replied, and she copies a lot of her style (video editing and clothing choices). Hell, she copies a lot of other youtubers' styles in general and just seems to pick up whatever is popular.

That said, I still hate watch her videos :roll:

royuls
Learner
Learner

Re: Vagabond Youth

Post by royuls »

i just checked out her channel after seeing a link to this thread and while i'm not super familiar with her (i vaguely remember seeing some of her videos a while back) can i just say that it lowkey looks like she bought subscribers? :? i mean, how do you have nearly 250k subscribers and hardly ever break 50k views on your videos? it doesn't add up for me. am i missing something? has she been accused of this before or is there a reason for this?

vanillafilter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by vanillafilter »

I don't know if she buys subscribers, but I feel like when people buy subscribers, what's the point? You don't money based on how many subscribers you have, it's more so views, no? Or it could be that people subscribe and then just never watch the videos and forget about it. I know I'm subscribed to a lot of people that I thought looked interesting but never got around to really watching the videos if they didn't seem interesting enough to click on.

graylights
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by graylights »

I feel like she's lost her identity since choosing to pursue YouTube full time after graduating college. Before, she had a quirky fresh relatability factor with college-aged viewers who looked to her for advice and that kind of stuff, but now she's just so out of touch with everything.

She doesn't have any real world experience to dish out advice on jobs. She doesn't have nearly enough make up talent to advertise herself as a beauty guru (her eyeshadow blending skills are nothing short of horrendous, and even she makes constant jabs at how she's not really a beauty guru yet constantly puts them out anyway), and she got a ton of backlash for wanting an unpaid intern.

Her latest videos have her pushing these gender binary/challenging social norms type stuff but let's be fucking honest, you put on a pair of baggy jeans that you thought looked tomboyish and you're trying way too hard to make it seem more relevant than it is: it's just a 2minute video of you walking around in an outfit people wouldn't look twice at on the streets.

She used to have decent fashion sense but now it's just all over the place. No make up skills. Her advice on life is alright but mind you she's only had one major relationship/break up, no real job outside of YouTube, doesn't even have her own place yet... like what's her purpose on YouTube? I don't see her pursuing this full time as a good career for her at all.

vanillafilter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by vanillafilter »

Totally agree. She just posted a haul video and she said "a girl's gotta eat!" as her reasoning for doing another sponsored video. But she has a COLLEGE DEGREE FROM UCLA. Like come on. She could literally be doing anything else other than youtube right now and she'd probably be making as much if not more money from a legitimate job. I would respect her more if she had a real job and continued doing youtube on the side.

And I get that she wants to do social commentary or act like she cares about "issues" cuz it gets her a little more attention but at the end of the day, she's just another LA wannabe trying to make the most amount of money and get the most amount of attention while doing as little as actually possible. If she truly cared as much as she says she does on twitter, she would put her communication degree to real use and make a difference in the world instead of posting sponsored videos on youtube.

blipbloop
Learner
Learner

Post by blipbloop »

I feel like she tries to hard to fill some hipster intellectual niche on YT that doesn't really need filling. Honestly I skip all of the videos that are of her trying to break down some social construct...I'm not wasting 10 minutes of my life listening to some typical LA valleygirl drone on about loving yourself and accepting yourself when it's so obvious that's she's just another lost millennial uncomfortable in her own skin. I definitely agree with the poster above. She's lost. She's not pretty enough to be in the "do nothing LA asian girl group" (Jenn im etc). And she's not really innovative enough to get by with just making videos. YT is too saturated at this point for her to stand out.

vanillafilter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by vanillafilter »

Right on. When she was in college her channel was all about college related videos but now that she's graduated, her videos are basically about nothing or the same thing as everyone else on youtube. Nothing stands out. I can't see her channel ever growing because she's just not that interesting...

Her latest vlog was cringeworthy, per usual. Says she feels like crap from eating crap so goes to work out, then goes to eat donuts. Yep, real healthy. And for someone who's done youtube for a while, you would think she'd know how to film. What's up with the shitty fisheye lens, shaky camera work and the continual talk of how awkward it is to film? And her constantly mentioning that she has an intern and referring to her intern as her intern like 1000x. We get it. You have an (unpaid) intern. Good for you?

spankcat
Informer
Informer

Post by spankcat »

Accidentally posted on the rave forum, so here it is again...

The first outfit of her January Outfits of the Week video was surprisingly good. I loved the black turtleneck and flared pants paired with the animal print coat. But WHAT was the rest of the video? Especially the short skirt/wrinkled blouse/cropped tank top combo. Also, who calls three outfits an "outfits of the week" video? In the description, she said she stays in a lot, but she could have just put together a few more outfits and filmed them in different locations... I'm sure most YouTubers don't actually film each outfit they wear every day of the week anyway.

Also, why does she need an intern? Her channel was growing faster when she balanced YouTube on top of UCLA classes and working at the school newspaper. And she just said she doesn't "even leave the house every day." Girl, I think you need more work, not less. She's becoming more and more irrelevant.

vanillafilter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by vanillafilter »

I also liked the outfits of the week video, though I agree, she could have put more effort into it and actually made 7 outfits instead of 3. I mean, I know she stays in a lot but for most people... we leave the house every day lol and we have to wear clothes not PJs.

And apparently her intern is now her assistant. I'm glad she's finally paying her, but it's weird how in the description of her videos it still says "filmed and edited by amy lee." Like, you obviously didn't film yourself, give credit where credit is due.

Also she had a whole discussion erupt on her instagram when she posted about the womens march. She was saying how she was a feminist before it was "cool" basically, and some people called her out on it. She did not take the criticism well and blocked them and ranted about it on snapchat. It's so interesting how people like her kind of jump on a bandwagon and try to make themselves look good by saying they were something before it was popular, but saying it literally adds nothing to the conversation except to boost your own ego. The criticism was true and she didn't want to hear it, because she probably surrounds herself in this bubble where she doesn't leave the house much and doesn't expose herself to anything different or anything she doesn't want or like. It's sad that she's like this, but I'm sure it's not any different than any other youtuber that surrounds themselves with yes men.

I thought she was somewhat intelligent before this, but I don't think that's really true anymore. I think she's someone that's book smart in the sense that she probably succeeded at school because she followed directions really well. There's a huge difference between simply knowing and actually understanding, and I think it's clear that she doesn't really have the understanding to have any real discussion about feminism without resorting to cliche phrases and sprouting whatever she reads online from other people.

spankcat
Informer
Informer

Post by spankcat »

Her poses on her "Less is More" video were so awkward. You'd think after so many years of filming herself, she would be more natural in front of the camera. She's just flinging her limbs around.

graylights
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by graylights »

Just saw her post on Snapchat about what her "assistant"/intern does and it sounds fucking ridiculous. She has the most basic YouTube channel in existence and she requires a whole extra human being to basically keep a journal of her entire "itinerary" for the day and be around to boost her morale. I'm sorry but WHAT DO YOU FUCKING DO ALL DAY THAT WARRANTS ALL THAT? She literally sits at home all day and Postmates food and random sh*t for her mediocre videos that last for all of 3 minutes a piece. I understand people like Chriselle Lim needing to tote around assistants and such since they attend like 10 different fashion shows a day but Amy is in NY for literally like one show a day.................... what journal needs to be kept of her schedule. :roll:

spankcat
Informer
Informer

Post by spankcat »

I agree. There are much bigger and busier full-time YouTubers that don't use an "assistant"/intern. Amy's views are so pitiful, as are her videos. (omg, that Tresemme NYFW video was a mess) Do you think she is paying the poor girl?

graylights
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by graylights »

Her initial post when she was looking for an intern was unpaid until people yelled at her that it wasn't acceptable anymore so I'm assuming she's paid and/or has the trip to NY expensed by her. I doubt she pays her much and probably convinced to pay her in opportunities and exposure since she didn't want to pay for an intern in the first place.

spankcat
Informer
Informer

Post by spankcat »

The thumbnail of her latest video is just a shot of her chest in a bra... sorry you're so desperate, Amy :\

fashionably_late
Lurker
Lurker

Post by fashionably_late »

I can't get over how she posted a rant video about how she hates social media. IT'S YOUR JOB. Don't like it? get a real job like the rest of us

ihatekale
Debater
Debater

Post by ihatekale »

Why does she need an assistant? She doesn't even have much going for her to need someone else helping her all the time.

mileonea
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by mileonea »

I enjoy Amy's videos from time to time and I think it's great that she tries to speak about important issues (although I don't think she has enough life experience to give advice on many things), but oh my GOD the amount of times she says "um" in one sentence drives me crazy! I feel like all the messages she's trying to spread become much less impactful because she sounds so uneducated using the word so much! I get that it's a habit many people have, heck I say um too, but I have never watched anyone on YouTube that says it as much as Amy does.

rustandust
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by rustandust »

jenn mentioned amy twice in her latest oct faves vid. looks like the persistent comments on jenn's vids paid off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ihatekale
Debater
Debater

Post by ihatekale »

She's the epitome of "anyone can be a youtuber" nowadays. :roll: :roll:

squishystyle
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by squishystyle »

rustandust wrote:jenn mentioned amy twice in her latest oct faves vid. looks like the persistent comments on jenn's vids paid off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And she's been hanging out with their "squad" too. :roll: Wasn't she with Jenn too when Jenn was working on Eggie "season 2"?

Return to “V-Z”