smokingandangry
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sarah "Benjamin Button" Hawkinson General Thread Part 2

Post by smokingandangry »

gymkat13 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:02 pm
I started watching Sarah's latest video about giving up on her dreams, but after a few minutes it just made me feel sad for her and how she used to be passionate about pursuing professions like fashion and writing when she started her channel. I really liked watching her when she was into those things, even if she was awkward and a bit try-hard.
it was an incredibly depressing video and i kind of feel like she missed the most important key component about "being average" -- below average people succeed all. the. time. achieving dreams is LARGELY about luck and perseverance, not skill and ability. have you seen how many professional writers absolutely fucking suck at the craft? it's insane. shitty school counselors are a dime a dozen. i'd say the MAJORITY of models are actually unattractive and are just photoshopped to work for the photo. almost everything she listed as her aspirations are things achieved by people with less talent than she's demonstrated over the course of her youtube career. not having a million followers on youtube doesn't mean she's below average. it means she's not lucky. :roll: she has a mindset problem, not an "i'm average" problem.

Backstreet51
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by Backstreet51 »

She also just seems all over the shop and can never make up her mind what she wants. Is it almost like it's an excuse for that? She gets discouraged so picks something else. If you focus on one thing and just keep trying no matter the fails you'll get better. Hell if i changed my direction every time i was discouraged i would be exactly like her and definitely not where i am in my field.

Sure it's luck for some people. But for many you just have to push past the mistakes, and more often than not the fails is how you get there. You don't get anywhere form doing everything "right" or "perfect"

treetown_squirrel
Debater
Debater

Post by treetown_squirrel »

I went to her channel to watch the dreams video and got distracted by the nurse tiktok video and... when did she become the tiktok police? lol. I guess all nurses on tiktok are bad because she found three people posting questionable things. Clearly I haven't watched anything of hers in literal months.

Anyway, I feel like I don't need to watch her video to give her some genuine, not snarky advice. The vibe I've always gotten from Sarah is "if I can just find my PASSION everything will work out." Well, I've got news. Passion doesn't mean much for actual happiness. You can be passionate about fashion all day every day and work in the industry, but if you have a crappy job in that industry it won't mean much. Half the battle with developing any kind of successful career is finding a good working environment where you can thrive.

Back to the snark: That means working more than like... the two jobs she has ever worked. I've honestly seen some pretty lazy/immature people thrive in the right environment so I have faith she can do it. She's fighting a losing battle trying to build a career around an online community, IMO, especially in her particular case. I don't think anything can replace having a good boss and real life mentors.

nooeydee
Talker
Talker

Post by nooeydee »

Her whole demeanor on fast fashion was a laugh

gossiplover1998
Learner
Learner

Post by gossiplover1998 »

The fact that so much of what you see in thrift stores ends up in a landfill is why I support sites like poshmark and depop. There is absolutely no shortage of clothing for people in lower income communities so I dont know why she has to cast a negative light on poshmark and depop and say that they are "ripping you off." She does know that these people search, clean, photograph these clothing pieces and that takes time and effort.

SallyCinnamon
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by SallyCinnamon »

Walking into a shop to buy new clothes is terrible, but buying loads of plastic tat for your latest Halloween theme isn't remotely wasteful or environmentally irresponsible... I haven't finished the video yet, but I noticed she is still shopping from places like dollar stores, and I'm guessing there's nothing about the sweat shop workers who are paid 10 cents an hour to make these awesome bargains?

I'm also getting bored of watching YouTubers tying themselves into human pretzels while they take us through a boring three minute disclaimer about how they totally hate JK Rowling but no, they have no current plans to stop promoting the Harry Potter brand. I don't need the "trust me, I hate her too, so anyways look at this cute Harry Potter thing!" chat, just put it in the info box.

Gloom
Learner
Learner

Post by Gloom »

Her obsession with Halloween, like I get the nostalgia but why not buy actual decent decorations that look classy and grown-up if she's so into it? The plastic crap from the dollar store that she hauled in her video looked awful, those are the kinds of things you buy if you have small kids, not if you're 30 years old living with your boyfriend. I don't get why she wants to appear like a minimalist when she's clearly hoarding decorations and clothing. Also, I just read through most of this thread and it's so surprising that in 5 years, she's still being criticized for the same things and hasn't shown any personal growth. Even with simple things like having an upload schedule

backdoorteenmom
Learner
Learner

Post by backdoorteenmom »

I cannot stand that she is "such a huge horror fan" and makes herself out to be an expert but she doesn't like movies that make her uncomfortable or give her anxiety? Very strange.

We seek out horror movies to feel scared and to get in that mindset for an hour or two.

She's way too sensitive to be speaking out on subjects like this....she can't handle movies based on real life murders yet can watch a slasher movie with no problem? She makes no sense

backdoorteenmom
Learner
Learner

Post by backdoorteenmom »

here we go again with her rants on horror movies giving her bad anxiety and how they need trigger warnings ....get off of it!!! :? :roll:

SallyCinnamon
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by SallyCinnamon »

She loves to pontificate and set down her rules on what everyone should be doing, while also being a huge hypocrite. If she hates JK Rowling soooo much she should give up the books JK Rowling wrote, but no, she's going to get by on a technicality by only buying up second hand copies. Meaning that the person who wants a second hand copy because it's less expensive, has to go and buy a new one... And she cares soooo much about plastic use and about fast fashion, but she just saw a really cool plastic cauldron selection in Best -Buy, step back everyone! Her words mean nothing when she can't back them up with her actions. I'm just unsubbing, I'm tired of hearing the same three "do as I say, not as I do" topics from her.

Swav
Informer
Informer

Post by Swav »

I'm not saying I even disagree with a lot of what she's saying in her latest video (minimalism), but adding on to what SallyCinnamon just said, I feel something similar. I feel like Sarah has a pattern of grabbing onto different ideas/trends/philosophies/ethics and then immediately going really hard and being very vocal about those things whether on her twitter or in videos, to the point where she seems pretty rigid about them, and then when she realizes that some of those things make her life less convenient or start to cramp her style she then makes a video somewhat backtracking on that particular idea/subject or adding in exceptions in order to subconsciously or psychologically justify herself.

Swav
Informer
Informer

Post by Swav »

Double post but I can't edit the one I just made and I wanted to add...

For one example, she got really vocal on youtube about cruelty-free living for a while there, but whenever she gets asked why she still does certain things (eating cheese/dairy, etc) she then goes on a kick of making a point to chastise people for expecting absolute perfection when it comes to being cruelty-free and suddenly "being 100% cruelty-free isn't possible and we should just do our best, every little bit helps blah blah blah". Like, nobody said anything about absolute perfection, but the only reason she still eats dairy cheese is because she LIKES it and she WANTS to and it's convenient for her (not because it's unavailable, unaffordable, unappealing to her, etc) and so she shouldn't be surprised when people side-eye her for that when she acts like OTHER people should have no excuse for not making the same cruelty-free choices she makes when she very openly cherry picks.

She talks about fast fashion and eventually added in how some people who are lower income don't really have a choice in having to make fast fashion purchases. But she completely bypasses the notion that she thrifts tons of clothes she doesn't need in order to make monetized videos on youtube which directly plays a role in the whole controversy of thrift stores becoming more and more pricey to the point where the people who are ACTUALLY intended to shop there can no longer afford to and thus have to rely on fast fashion even more.

And don't even get me started on the whole Harry Potter/(not) supporting JK Rowling thing. Or the whole phase she went through where she ranted about and condemned people wearing true crime merch (obviously gross) but then got mad at people for wondering why at the same time she thinks wearing a fictional serial killer on a tshirt who is VERY WELL KNOWN to be based on a real life serial killer is a-okay and somehow not even remotely hypocritical because gee guess what it fits her personal aesthetic and she simply wants to.

gibson5858
Learner
Learner

Post by gibson5858 »

Swav wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:11 pm
And don't even get me started on the whole Harry Potter/(not) supporting JK Rowling thing. Or the whole phase she went through where she ranted about and condemned people wearing true crime merch (obviously gross) but then got mad at people for wondering why at the same time she thinks wearing a fictional serial killer on a tshirt who is VERY WELL KNOWN to be based on a real life serial killer is a-okay and somehow not even remotely hypocritical because gee guess what it fits her personal aesthetic and she simply wants to.
I couldn't disagree more. I presume you're referring to Leatherface. The similarities between Leatherface and Ed Gein are so minuscule that Gein could also help inspire Norman Bates and Buffalo Bill without either feeling like a copy of each other or Leatherface. Leatherface's trademark weapon, the chainsaw, wasn't even used in Gein's two killings. The reality is that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was inspired by a lot of things, Gein's influence was just a small part of it.

There's a gigantic difference between sporting Leatherface on a t-shirt and wearing a shirt with say...Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold faces on it.

Swav
Informer
Informer

Post by Swav »

Sorry, the way I worded that was kind of vague. I wasn't specifically referring to her wearing a Leatherface shirt. She's said in a past video that she didn't think there was anything wrong with wearing a horror shirt depicting a serial killer (in general) who was based on a real person, which she mentioned after being asked about her Leatherface shirt. I personally don't have an issue with horror serial killer shirts, I just brought it up because I find her very rigid view of things and then leniency when it comes to herself to be pretty hypocritical. She didn't even consider the idea that fictional but based on real killers shirts might have some of the same touchy issues that true crime merch has, she just immediately got pissy and excused it - why? - because she likes wearing those types of shirts and didn't want to have to consider if they may at all be problematic (for example, someone effected by the real killer feeling shitty seeing the fictional version of that person celebrated through merch - which is exactly the same reasoning she gave for true crime merch being touchy). I'm not saying I even really agree with all that, I just wanted to point out that she constantly does stuff like that to give pass to her own interests, but doesn't offer the same to other people, true crime related or not. She gets very rigid and high and mighty about things when she constantly alters those views when she needs it to excuse her own behaviour. The serial killer thing was just one example of that.

gibson5858
Learner
Learner

Post by gibson5858 »

Swav wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:40 pm
Sorry, the way I worded that was kind of vague. I wasn't specifically referring to her wearing a Leatherface shirt. She's said in a past video that she didn't think there was anything wrong with wearing a horror shirt depicting a serial killer (in general) who was based on a real person, which she mentioned after being asked about her Leatherface shirt. I personally don't have an issue with horror serial killer shirts, I just brought it up because I find her very rigid view of things and then leniency when it comes to herself to be pretty hypocritical. She didn't even consider the idea that fictional but based on real killers shirts might have some of the same touchy issues that true crime merch has, she just immediately got pissy and excused it - why? - because she likes wearing those types of shirts and didn't want to have to consider if they may at all be problematic (for example, someone effected by the real killer feeling shitty seeing the fictional version of that person celebrated through merch - which is exactly the same reasoning she gave for true crime merch being touchy). I'm not saying I even really agree with all that, I just wanted to point out that she constantly does stuff like that to give pass to her own interests, but doesn't offer the same to other people, true crime related or not. She gets very rigid and high and mighty about things when she constantly alters those views when she needs it to excuse her own behaviour. The serial killer thing was just one example of that.
I just don't think that it's the same thing. If you're going out wearing a Leatherface t-shirt, you're not going to encounter a single person that has ever been harmed by him or a family member of a victim. You don't have that certainty when it comes to a Ted Bundy shirt. Leatherface is ultimately a fictional character, when you celebrate such a character, you're not glorifying heinous real actions. This is especially true in the case of Leatherface when, as I said before, the similarities between Leatherface and the real life Ed Gein are so minor. Gein and Leatherface looked completely different, lived in different areas of the country, used different weapons to kill, and had different personal standings in their community. Their connection was simply that they both skinned their victims, which was something that many other killers have done including long before Gein was even born.

There is a real weirdness when it comes to those that legitimately idolize real killers to the point that some disturbed people fantasize about being with such killers.

I don't know if you're a fan of horror, but when you're in the horror community, you can be looked down upon by outsiders who believe that because you enjoy watching fictional horror, you must love real kills and that you could be comparable to those deplorable people who idolizes real life killers. I think it's completely rational for Sarah, or any horror fan, to make such a firm declaration in their refusal to condone the idolization of real killers even if that same declaration may come across as too strong and hypocritical to you. It's okay to take a stand to remind people where your own morals line up.

As far as Sarah doing similar things for other topics, people do change and grow. Just because you have a firm stance on a topic today doesn't mean that you'll have the same stance in the future. We're all trying to sort out what kind of person we want to be on this hunk of rock. Attitudes can change and there's personal dilemma with who you want to be vs who you actually are vs who you think people want you to be.

Keikochan
Learner
Learner

Post by Keikochan »

Can't wait to see what her new place looks like! Really hope she actually shows us.

Return to “P-U”