annoying things gurus do / annoying behaviors

nina84
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: annoying things gurus do / annoying behaviors

Post by nina84 »

I feel like I'm gonna sound insensitive but I hate when they cry on camera.... No matter what they're talking about, i mean you have control on what you show, why not edit it out? It's just awkward to film oneself crying and post it on the internet, in my opinion.

grassroots
Informer
Informer

Post by grassroots »

bunnybutt420 wrote:I hate it when they say "I LOVE U GUIYZ" or a similar sentiment. It's just so ironic, "I love you guiyz so much now let me show you this shitty overhyped product that I've been sponsored by. ONLY COZ I LOVE YEW ALL". Disgusting capitalists.
Translated: "I LOVE YOU...r money!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonk_Eye
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Wonk_Eye »

There's a trend I'm noticing mostly with smaller "gurus" trying to get attention and it's "My HORRIBLE MAC experience" (or My horrible "insert popular store here" experience). Obviously some of them are probably honest and warranted, however most of the one's I've seen are just stupid. One girl had a bad expirience because she told the SA to do "whatever look she wanted" and then got mad when she didn't like the look. She was also mad when she had to make a minimum purchase for getting a makeover which she had agreed to beforehand. Another girl was mad because the SA recommended her the wrong colour of eyebrow pencil after asking for the SA's opinion :roll:

Persistent_Cat
Learner
Learner

Post by Persistent_Cat »

Wonk_Eye wrote:There's a trend I'm noticing mostly with smaller "gurus" trying to get attention and it's "My HORRIBLE MAC experience" (or My horrible "insert popular store here" experience). Obviously some of them are probably honest and warranted, however most of the one's I've seen are just stupid. One girl had a bad expirience because she told the SA to do "whatever look she wanted" and then got mad when she didn't like the look. She was also mad when she had to make a minimum purchase for getting a makeover which she had agreed to beforehand. Another girl was mad because the SA recommended her the wrong colour of eyebrow pencil after asking for the SA's opinion :roll:
And are praised in the comments for speaking "their truth." But they're not trying to cause drama, swear.

nina84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by nina84 »

Wonk_Eye wrote:There's a trend I'm noticing mostly with smaller "gurus" trying to get attention and it's "My HORRIBLE MAC experience" (or My horrible "insert popular store here" experience). Obviously some of them are probably honest and warranted, however most of the one's I've seen are just stupid. One girl had a bad expirience because she told the SA to do "whatever look she wanted" and then got mad when she didn't like the look. She was also mad when she had to make a minimum purchase for getting a makeover which she had agreed to beforehand. Another girl was mad because the SA recommended her the wrong colour of eyebrow pencil after asking for the SA's opinion :roll:
those videos are my guilty pleasure lol. Some of the ones I've seen are actually very legit horrible stuff, but some just seem like them exaggerating stuff to justify a clickbaity title done to get views.

Wonk_Eye
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Wonk_Eye »

nina84 wrote:
those videos are my guilty pleasure lol. Some of the ones I've seen are actually very legit horrible stuff, but some just seem like them exaggerating stuff to justify a clickbaity title done to get views.
Yes I agree! The first few I saw were very interesting and seemed genuine, however once I started watching more, they we're really reaching and getting ridiculous. A lot of really young girls are making them now and those are just :roll:

Persistent_Cat
Learner
Learner

Post by Persistent_Cat »

Wonk_Eye wrote:
nina84 wrote:
Yes I agree! The first few I saw were very interesting and seemed genuine, however once I started watching more, they we're really reaching and getting ridiculous. A lot of really young girls are making them now and those are just :roll:
I hate myself but I feel I need to go watch some of these.

harleyquinn18
Debater
Debater

Post by harleyquinn18 »

Not doing anything but hauls and tutorials.

Constantly showing the same brands, I used to love finding weird and interesting stuff but now it's the same few brands all the time.

Lush, Mac, Urban Decay, Tarte, Two Faced, Benefit.

Not being honest/not being able to trust reviews because they're sponsored.
"I've eaten a chicken salad before" - Trisha Paytas

Waldorfdarling
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Waldorfdarling »

Blurring filters! I feel like every youtuber has a freaking blurring filter on these days. Like please stop, it's so obvious and the only thing it does is show how insecure you are about your skin. I don't expect perfection, no one does. I expect realism. If you have a filter on, how am I supposed to tell if the foundation you're wearing is any good? It's just unnecessary.
XOXO

theone
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by theone »

I am so sick of "gurus' putting bloopers at the beginning of their videos. It wastes my time and they are NOT funny.

Zoo61
Learner
Learner

Post by Zoo61 »

MissCupcakeGirl wrote: - No beauty guru has actually taught me how to do makeup and treat skin properly etc. All they do now is show off the latest iPhone, their latest clothes, their bedrooms and how rich they are.. What is the point of being a beauty guru if you can't teach me anything?
This is why I like wayne goss, He acts like a professional. His videos are short and to the point and more about trying to educate than trying to show off. My only criticism about him is his video titles can be Over-exaggerated.
Wonk_Eye wrote:There's a trend I'm noticing mostly with smaller "gurus" trying to get attention and it's "My HORRIBLE MAC experience"
I noticed this too. They all seem to be smaller gurus who I never heard of.

Also the smaller gurus do the "Why I quit working for MAC/SEPHORA/LUSH" stories. I've watched a few of these and it's always the same story. "When i first started working there, I loved it for the first month. Then The manager started being mean and it was too Sales driven and not about helping customers and I wanted to help customers but they didn't like it blah blah blah so i Quit. "

cheezecake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by cheezecake »

Zoo61 wrote:
Also the smaller gurus do the "Why I quit working for MAC/SEPHORA/LUSH" stories. I've watched a few of these and it's always the same story. "When i first started working there, I loved it for the first month. Then The manager started being mean and it was too Sales driven and not about helping customers and I wanted to help customers but they didn't like it blah blah blah so i Quit. "
:rofl:
I watch these videos to have a good laugh at these girls who justify why they can't keep a job. And the video might end up with thousands of views. I wonder if they generated any subscribers. Because when you look at what else these customer-oriented gurls have on their channels, it is mostly crap.

skaros
Learner
Learner

Post by skaros »

I didn't bother to read through the whole thread so there might've been a discussion about this already, but what really will make me lose my mind at some point, is the word "LITERALLY" in every. damn. sentence. I get it. This product is literally the dupe for that product. You literally got so afraid of a spider. You literally almost lost your favorite mascara. I need an app that plays a beep sound every time 'literally' comes up in videos. Grinds my gears like nothing else.

Post by Guest »

i'm sure someone's mentioned it already, but touching their hair obsessively (@ tiffanyd used to aLWAYS DO THIS. i haven't watched her in years so i don't know if she still does it). pin the bloody hair back if it's bugging you so much! wear a headband! shave your head!

Nala78
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Nala78 »

blindxfaith wrote:i'm sure someone's mentioned it already, but touching their hair obsessively (@ tiffanyd used to aLWAYS DO THIS. i haven't watched her in years so i don't know if she still does it). pin the bloody hair back if it's bugging you so much! wear a headband! shave your head!
YAAASSS i am subscribed to her but don't watch her often. I watched one of her recent ones though and it drove me nuts. She spends the first part of every video talking about her hair it seems. And fidgets with it all throughout. Always apologizing. She clearly can't stop checking herself out in the viewfinder. I don't know if it's an insecurity or the complete opposite but either way she should edit it out. Her videos would be a lot shorter and more to the point without. It's so irritating.

Another thing that kills me is when gurus apply makeup and DONT pin their hair back. It gives me anxiety. Their hair is rubbing all over their foundation before it's even set..doesn't that bother them? It's more difficult to blend too..I just can't. I don't know if they leave their hair down when the camera isn't running as well..maybe they do but I don't understand why they would. It doesn't make sense lol just pin it away from your face for 15 mins and you don't have to worry about it. I might be alone in this but it really does stress me out haha

Post by Guest »

YAAASSS i am subscribed to her but don't watch her often. I watched one of her recent ones though and it drove me nuts. She spends the first part of every video talking about her hair it seems. And fidgets with it all throughout. Always apologizing. She clearly can't stop checking herself out in the viewfinder. I don't know if it's an insecurity or the complete opposite but either way she should edit it out. Her videos would be a lot shorter and more to the point without. It's so irritating.

Another thing that kills me is when gurus apply makeup and DONT pin their hair back. It gives me anxiety. Their hair is rubbing all over their foundation before it's even set..doesn't that bother them? It's more difficult to blend too..I just can't. I don't know if they leave their hair down when the camera isn't running as well..maybe they do but I don't understand why they would. It doesn't make sense lol just pin it away from your face for 15 mins and you don't have to worry about it. I might be alone in this but it really does stress me out haha
YES!!!!! it stresses me out too lol. i always wear a headband when i do my makeup; it takes not even two seconds to put on, they should just do that. i would hope that they didn't do the same off camera but it wouldn't surprise me :roll:

nina84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by nina84 »

I hate that many have outrageous amounts of products but almost never do dupe videos. Many of them most likely have dupes worthy of at least two videos with those collections.

Post by Guest »

When their makeup is "well loved"... no, it's dirty and disgusting and you're showing it to thousands of people! :x Clean that sh*t!

Persistent_Cat
Learner
Learner

Post by Persistent_Cat »

blindxfaith wrote:i'm sure someone's mentioned it already, but touching their hair obsessively (@ tiffanyd used to aLWAYS DO THIS. i haven't watched her in years so i don't know if she still does it). pin the bloody hair back if it's bugging you so much! wear a headband! shave your head!
Missy Von Monroe has the absolute worst videos. I love watching them because every single second of them is horrible. She's always staring in the viewfinder, she's constantly petting her gross hair, she's always picking at her eyes or wiping her nose with the back of her hand and her tutorials are laughably terrible. Just terrible. Ugh, everything is awful but I love hate-watching her horrible, horrible videos.

rabbz
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by rabbz »

Ones who are way too cheerful all the time.

Return to “Beauty Guru General Discussion”