Abby Asselin

leopardmuffin
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Abby Asselin

Post by leopardmuffin »

She has been mentioned on some other threads so I thought I would make her own thread. She definitely prioritizes school more than other Youtubers, but I think she exaggerates how productive she is. Her relationship seems to consume her life and she does so many domestic things for her boyfriend. Her diet makes no sense to me also like her obsession with the amount of sugar in things is weird.

paulblart_mollcop

Re: Abby Asselin

Post by paulblart_mollcop »

I’ve been waiting for a thread on her for a while. I really like Abby but she’s so so so obsessive about food it’s kinda upsetting. Every time she buys something that could be considered “junky” she rationalizes it to her viewers like no one cares if you wanted a bag of chips it’s fine!!!! She’s definitely saying it to rationalize it to herself but it’s so unhealthy

icantgoback
Lurker
Lurker

Post by icantgoback »

I like Abby because she’s so much more relatable to me than other YouTubers in that she actually cares about school and internships but it really stresses me out how much her relationship consumes her life! I get her reasoning for doing an internship next summer and not this one but she basically said she’s gonna hang around Houston all summer for no reason except that her boyfriend will there! And she’s always cooking dinner for him even if they’re not eating the same things. Does he not know how to make anything?

kdoggy21
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kdoggy21 »

paulblart_mollcop wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:20 am
I’ve been waiting for a thread on her for a while. I really like Abby but she’s so so so obsessive about food it’s kinda upsetting. Every time she buys something that could be considered “junky” she rationalizes it to her viewers like no one cares if you wanted a bag of chips it’s fine!!!! She’s definitely saying it to rationalize it to herself but it’s so unhealthy
this drives me crazy, not even just the food but she has to justify EVERY SINGLE THING SHE DOES. Almost every video she has, has an apology within the description or within the vlog. "Sorry it's not as productive. Sorry I didn't work out. Sorry I didn't eat that healthy." Omg it wasn't an issue until you made it one, just stop apologizing for living your life. And if she could stop telling us the sugar content of every food item she touches that would be greeeattttttt.

kdoggy21
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kdoggy21 »

icantgoback wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:24 am
I like Abby because she’s so much more relatable to me than other YouTubers in that she actually cares about school and internships but it really stresses me out how much her relationship consumes her life! I get her reasoning for doing an internship next summer and not this one but she basically said she’s gonna hang around Houston all summer for no reason except that her boyfriend will there! And she’s always cooking dinner for him even if they’re not eating the same things. Does he not know how to make anything?
I really like her too, but gotta admit that I got too excited about this thread. So many things she says and does just really grind my gears. Griffin seems like an idiot and wish he would stop making appearances in vlogs. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even know how to make toast.

trashtalk_77
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by trashtalk_77 »

We've been blessed today with this thread and Natalie Barbu's thread. lmao

I like watching her and enjoy her vlogs! My main issues with Abby are that she contradicts herself A LOT with money. She's told us before that her parents pay for everything because they paid for everything for her brother so obviously they're trying to be fair about things (nothing wrong with that) but then she makes other videos where she says she pays for her stuff like rent, etc. when we know she doesn't...lol Homegirl also buys a ton of clothes and shoes because she claims she has "nothing to wear".

youtube_obsessed843
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by youtube_obsessed843 »

kdoggy21 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:27 am
paulblart_mollcop wrote:
this drives me crazy, not even just the food but she has to justify EVERY SINGLE THING SHE DOES. Almost every video she has, has an apology within the description or within the vlog. "Sorry it's not as productive. Sorry I didn't work out. Sorry I didn't eat that healthy." Omg it wasn't an issue until you made it one, just stop apologizing for living your life. And if she could stop telling us the sugar content of every food item she touches that would be greeeattttttt.
I have to say my impressionable, copycat roommate is a big fan of Abby and I've tried to get into the habit of watching her just like I do Brooke, Danielle, Gretchen etc but her life is just so boring and repetitive. She also makes girls (including my roommate) believe false things about eating healthy, being fit, etc. It IRKS me that she obsesses over how many grams of sugar are in things...I understand eating less sugar is ideal for anyone, but just because something doesn't contain a lot of sugar doesn't mean it's "healthy." Carbs, fats and calories matter too. She seriously needs to stop with that. Does anyone think her body has started to look a little gross recently? I don't mean fat or anything...just a little "too fit" I guess? I know girls who swear by barre classes because they make you long and lean but in my opinion if you too the classes for too long you end up looking overly sculpted and anorexic. Totally depends on the body type but her arms and thighs are starting to look a little odd.

leopardmuffin
Debater
Debater

Post by leopardmuffin »

youtube_obsessed843 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:26 pm
kdoggy21 wrote:
paulblart_mollcop wrote:
I have to say my impressionable, copycat roommate is a big fan of Abby and I've tried to get into the habit of watching her just like I do Brooke, Danielle, Gretchen etc but her life is just so boring and repetitive. She also makes girls (including my roommate) believe false things about eating healthy, being fit, etc. It IRKS me that she obsesses over how many grams of sugar are in things...I understand eating less sugar is ideal for anyone, but just because something doesn't contain a lot of sugar doesn't mean it's "healthy." Carbs, fats and calories matter too. She seriously needs to stop with that. Does anyone think her body has started to look a little gross recently? I don't mean fat or anything...just a little "too fit" I guess? I know girls who swear by barre classes because they make you long and lean but in my opinion if you too the classes for too long you end up looking overly sculpted and anorexic. Totally depends on the body type but her arms and thighs are starting to look a little odd.
Her obsession with sugar is weird considering she eats acai bowls constantly and those have tons of sugar. Her diet really seems like a picky eater child, like subs with just turkey and lettuce? Or sandwiches with just bread and turkey wtf
I haven't noticed her arms looking different but her thighs seem to have bulked up so much in proportion to the rest of her body.

kdoggy21
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kdoggy21 »

kdoggy21 wrote:
paulblart_mollcop wrote:
I actually love watching her over the other girl you mentioned just because it is so boring and mundane. It's easy enough to put on in the background and listen/ not actively watch while I'm doing other things. Anyway, yeah her nutrition tips are totally whack. Like just because something is vegan/gluten-free/fat-free/dairy-free/no-added sugar etc doesn't make it healthy!!! Everything she eats is extremely processed. Just stick to more whole foods and foods with a shorter ingredient list and you'll be better off. Like her stupid Annie's rice mac and cheese made with vegan butter that she calls "healthier". Tell me why rice is healthier than regular pasta if you're not gluten intolerant? Ugh really bothers me that her younger, more impressionable audience might actually buy into this and it's just SO WRONG.

And yeah, I don't think she's particularly attractive to begin with. Her clumpy mascara, her over-plucked eyebrows, her fake tan etc. I think she might just be insecure and trying REAL hard to try and make herself more attractive.

kdoggy21
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kdoggy21 »

leopardmuffin wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:38 pm
kdoggy21 wrote:
paulblart_mollcop wrote:
Her obsession with sugar is weird considering she eats acai bowls constantly and those have tons of sugar. Her diet really seems like a picky eater child, like subs with just turkey and lettuce? Or sandwiches with just bread and turkey wtf
I haven't noticed her arms looking different but her thighs seem to have bulked up so much in proportion to the rest of her body.
Lmao yeah watching her eat that much "boar's head honey-coat turkey" just rolled up is really icky. Not sure why she always has to say the entire name too....

youtube_obsessed843
Gossiper
Gossiper

kdoggy21 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 pm
kdoggy21 wrote:
paulblart_mollcop wrote:
I actually love watching her over the other girl you mentioned just because it is so boring and mundane. It's easy enough to put on in the background and listen/ not actively watch while I'm doing other things. Anyway, yeah her nutrition tips are totally whack. Like just because something is vegan/gluten-free/fat-free/dairy-free/no-added sugar etc doesn't make it healthy!!! Everything she eats is extremely processed. Just stick to more whole foods and foods with a shorter ingredient list and you'll be better off. Like her stupid Annie's rice mac and cheese made with vegan butter that she calls "healthier". Tell me why rice is healthier than regular pasta if you're not gluten intolerant? Ugh really bothers me that her younger, more impressionable audience might actually buy into this and it's just SO WRONG.

And yeah, I don't think she's particularly attractive to begin with. Her clumpy mascara, her over-plucked eyebrows, her fake tan etc. I think she might just be insecure and trying REAL hard to try and make herself more attractive.
Totally agree with the childish picky eating habits. She said in a vlog recently that she thinks chicken breast is gross and will only eat it cut up into pieces. SO immature honestly. Just get over it. Part of being an adult is adapting to things, being flexible and growing your palate. Being that specific about food at age 21 is just embarrassing...I know people that can't go to certain restaurants because they quite literally won't eat anything on the menu and I find that to be one of the worst qualities you can have.

trashtalk_77
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by trashtalk_77 »

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:54 pm
kdoggy21 wrote:
kdoggy21 wrote:
paulblart_mollcop wrote:

Totally agree with the childish picky eating habits. She said in a vlog recently that she thinks chicken breast is gross and will only eat it cut up into pieces. SO immature honestly. Just get over it. Part of being an adult is adapting to things, being flexible and growing your palate. Being that specific about food at age 21 is just embarrassing...I know people that can't go to certain restaurants because they quite literally won't eat anything on the menu and I find that to be one of the worst qualities you can have.
Ehhh, that's a stretch. I don't think not liking certain foods has anything to do with being an adult/maturity.... :|

youtube_obsessed843
Gossiper
Gossiper

trashtalk_77 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:08 pm
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:54 pm
kdoggy21 wrote:
kdoggy21 wrote:

Ehhh, that's a stretch. I don't think not liking certain foods has anything to do with being an adult/maturity.... :|
Didn't mean to offend at all! Maybe the word "immature" is a little harsh, I do think Abby shows a lot of maturity in most aspects of her life, but there comes a time when you sort of have to suck it up and be an adult about things. It's not like she could go to a restaurant, order a chicken parm and ask for the breast to be cut into pieces. Her dietary choices are very restrictive, especially because they aren't mandatory for the sake of her health. There's a fine line between genuinely disliking foods vs. knowingly being inconvenient just in the interest of your own preferences. Not saying Abby is on either extreme spectrum of these two things but she seems unnecessarily picky, especially when it concerns something as simple as a chicken breast.

savebella!
Debater
Debater

Post by savebella! »

She's so monotone and boring! I love dumb college vlogs but I can't stand watching Abby's for some reason — she's so flat and emotionless.

larkspurlurker
Learner
Learner

Post by larkspurlurker »

kdoggy21 wrote:
Like just because something is vegan/gluten-free/fat-free/dairy-free/no-added sugar etc doesn't make it healthy!!! Everything she eats is extremely processed. Just stick to more whole foods and foods with a shorter ingredient list and you'll be better off. Like her stupid Annie's rice mac and cheese made with vegan butter that she calls "healthier". Tell me why rice is healthier than regular pasta if you're not gluten intolerant? Ugh really bothers me that her younger, more impressionable audience might actually buy into this and it's just SO WRONG.
I really like Abby but this is SO true. It shocks me how little produce she seems to eat - it's ALL processed junk food "alternatives" that still aren't actually that good for you. I've always viewed those products as good "steps" on the way to healthier eating, but I've been watching her since her freshman year and she still hasn't dropped processed alternatives in favor of fresh fruits/vegetables, beans/legumes, non-deli meat, etc. Every grocery haul confuses me because she goes to such great lengths to excuse certain "unhealthy" foods while maintaining other products are like the healthiest thing in the world.

kdoggy21
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kdoggy21 »

Right?! Like maybe instead of getting lentil chips and sugar/dairy free ice cream, have a balanced diet with fresh fruit and veg and treat yourself with the "real" item once in a while? Also I wonder if she realizes how much sugar is in her acai bowls or in the baked oatmeal she orders all the time. Her cooking skills are hilarious too. For someone who is priding herself in her healthy lifestyle she should really put a bit more effort in.

leopardmuffin
Debater
Debater

Post by leopardmuffin »

I don't understand her career plan at all. Like taking the summer off to focus on Youtube (really to follow Griffin) when she wants to go in to a field that's so dependent on a linear path seems unwise. Her internship is for summer 2020 when she should be getting a full time salary job so she's losing a lot of money in the long run.

kdoggy21
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kdoggy21 »

leopardmuffin wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:32 pm
I don't understand her career plan at all. Like taking the summer off to focus on Youtube (really to follow Griffin) when she wants to go in to a field that's so dependent on a linear path seems unwise. Her internship is for summer 2020 when she should be getting a full time salary job so she's losing a lot of money in the long run.
Is it normal to have an internship lined up so far ahead? I've never heard of anything like that and it sounds absurd to plan that far ahead when so much can change.

paulblart_mollcop

Post by paulblart_mollcop »

kdoggy21 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:36 pm
leopardmuffin wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:32 pm
Is it normal to have an internship lined up so far ahead? I've never heard of anything like that and it sounds absurd to plan that far ahead when so much can change.
I wouldn't call it "normal" to have an internship lined up so far in advance but when I was doing my own internship hunt I was seeing some applications for internships in 2020.

Post by Guest »

so happy to see this. I've disliked abby for a long time. she reminds me of grace (lipsticks and lattes) whom I also can't stand. They both just complain and whine a lot about how busy they are, but neither ever shows themselves being productive. Like, both girls are always vlogging from their stupid cars in traffic like "just got back from class, ugh, it was so hard. I have so much stuff to do, blah blah." Like, I think Danielle and Brooke also tend to show less of their productivity than they do their lavish influencer lifestyles. like cool, you're white cis middle class upbringing affords you the privilege to go to nyc and la on the reg, live in swank off campus housing, and stock your fridge with trader joes, all with minimal studying. youre a real GaL oN tHe gO with MoMmY and DaDdY's MoNeY! WeRk! reminds me of the olivia jade stuff.

anyway, back to abby. she exhibits some clear disordered eating. (this is not the same as an eating disorder). It's ok to keep an eye on calorie count/carbs/sugar but she takes it to the extreme. and she looks malnourished - dry skin, thin arms, bulging eyes. Also, thought her "assumptions about me" vid was hilarious. first off, her parents clearly pay for everything, but she hems and haws in an attempt to make herself seem more self-reliant than she actually is. She's never struggled financially a day in her life, and likely won't with an accounting degree. second, girl low down smokes hella weed, but can't say anything b/c she (and her meathead boyfriend) would lose their fin aid. Go back and watch her vlogmas - every single vlog she has hardcore red eyes, and routinely loses her train of thought. while she might not be a pothead, she definitely imbibes regularly.

And on the subject of griffin, I think he's a douchebag too. Typical toxic male bro, dominates the television, makes fun of her when she vlogs then hijacks as much attention from her as he possibly can. most of all I hate the fact he is from houston, my hometown, and that UGH one of these days Im going to run into them at the galleria or something and I'm straight gonna pop off. lowkey wish he would just dump her already so she won't move there. Just what h-town needs, another fucking overprivileged cpa from florida.

Return to “#-E”