James Charles

larrie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

James Charles

Post by larrie »

so i've been seeing some people talking about this kid. he got "famous" for being the first male covergirl and there were a bunch of videos and articles posted about it. he blew up on social media in a very short amount of time. he's pretty new to youtube but still gets a lot of views. on snapchat he promotes a lot of brands, including morphe of course.

any thoughts on this guy? how did he get so big in such a short amount of time? will it last?

mathematical
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: James Charles

Post by mathematical »

Yeah something doesn't seem to add up for me with this kid, he blew up out of nowhere. Now granted I've only watched 1 video of his, but I don't see the big deal? It seemed like just another run of the mill makeup look. Oh and can we stop with the fake freckle bullshit please!

kathleenlightsssss
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by kathleenlightsssss »

I notice he wears a lot of indie makeup brands (lesser known) or brands/collabs by BIG youtubers, then tweets them or tags on instagram and that may be how he is climbing so quickly. He does his makeup well, but he is soo annoying. I hate how a girl can work so hard on her channel and take years to BLOW UP. But a gay guy in makeup, oh wow, something new, different? So they win? :roll:

Also, he overuses the phrase "sisters" sooooo much, (ugh!) it hurts my ears and literally makes me cringe! :?

TruthHurtz

Post by TruthHurtz »

can someone explain this to me.

How did a 17 year old make a YouTube 1 year ago. Start posting in July so 6 months ago. And has a whopping 25 videos for his almost 100k subs and somehow can make up to 30 grand monthly on these. That's more than a G a month per video. HOW is this CHILD the CoverBoy? I do not understand. Cheapest person to sell out to CoverGirl? Or did he have minions to nominate him. Or did Tati help and that's why he worships her and calls her queen Tati.

It just doesn't make sense that everyone else needs to hit like a million before even morphe will do a collaboration with you. Who is this kids dad, or aunt, or someone. There has to be some nepatism.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mathematical
Learner
Learner

Post by mathematical »

TruthHurtz wrote:can someone explain this to me.

How did a 17 year old make a YouTube 1 year ago. Start posting in July so 6 months ago. And has a whopping 25 videos for his almost 100k subs and somehow can make up to 30 grand monthly on these. That's more than a G a month per video. HOW is this CHILD the CoverBoy? I do not understand. Cheapest person to sell out to CoverGirl? Or did he have minions to nominate him. Or did Tati help and that's why he worships her and calls her queen Tati.

It just doesn't make sense that everyone else needs to hit like a million before even morphe will do a collaboration with you. Who is this kids dad, or aunt, or someone. There has to be some nepatism.

Yes that's exactly how I feel! You put it into better words than me lol

TruthHurtz

Post by TruthHurtz »

It literally makes NO sense.

Also just for industry insight. Most makeup academies will not take anyone under 18. If they see EXTREME potential they might let u start schooling at 16 with parental consent. But across the board you must be 18 to get a license for makeup and esthetician.

To say this kid had extreme enough talent to get into makeup school at 16, and then graduated months, then was great enough to make 25 videos that got the attention of CoverGirl and a contract signed by October (4 months of videos...) is absurd. And even so, he is not a makeup artist if he has no license. You can have a degree in education but are not a teacher until you pass state licensing.The whole thing smells bad. I'm sick of gurus not understanding the difference between PRO MUA and makeup enthusiast

I still 100% think he is SOMEONES son that is high up enough to pull strings for their little boy.

TruthHurtz

Post by TruthHurtz »

Just watched his very first video in which he says "I'm a 16 year old makeup artist from new York". I don't feel the need to repost my above for you guys that you CANNOT be 16 and an actual makeup artist. You can be 16 and great at makeup tho. Period.

Post by Guest »

His makeup is shit though.

wild4thenight
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by wild4thenight »

CinnamonBun wrote:His makeup is shit though.
this. he reminds me of that lookingforlewys kid that Rimmel are shilling.
average make up skills but OMG ITS A BOY!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

larrie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by larrie »

CinnamonBun wrote:His makeup is shit though.
his eyebrows are ridiculously thick and those fake freckles just look like enlarged pores or random dirt.

platinumrose
Debater
Debater

Post by platinumrose »

Whenever I see a photo or video of him I can't stop staring at his brows

Mimikyu
Learner
Learner

Post by Mimikyu »

He initially blew up from that viral image/meme of him going ham for his school photo, then went from there. Then his instagram blew up, before he migrated officially to YouTube. Hence the lack of videos but high sub count

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Mimikyu
Learner
Learner

Post by Mimikyu »

As for my actual opinions on him, he seems nice and cheery enough, just tries too hard to be a 'sassy bad bitch' tho that's just me!

lowkeylaurie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lowkeylaurie »

I'm sick of seeing this kid everywhere, his makeup is mediocre at best and I'm tired of everyone constantly sharing and reposting his shitty makeup on every social media platform just because he's a male. A five year old could do the looks he does but no let's hype him up to infinity and give him awards, experiences and opportunities he doesn't deserve because it's a boy wearing makeup, like that's never been done before :roll:

noshant
Talker
Talker

Post by noshant »

I'm pretty sure I saw the boy on Buzzfeed before he become the face of Covergirl. When the CG thing happened, I was happy for him I guess? Because he's a boy and it sort of normalises boys being able to wear makeup? Idk. Having looked him up, I think he is pretty decent at makeup (there are better people out there, but I wouldn't say he's bad), but what bugs me most is his photo editing. And his freckles. Those freckled are bad. I had no idea that he didn't actually have a large following prior to becoming the CoverBoy. It does stink of nepotism.

TruthHurtz

Post by TruthHurtz »

Ohhh the tea is getting hotter. Went to go see this infamous Instagram. Let's review:

OK so does anyone else find it OFF that the kid signed contract with CG over his "fame" but he was no where contracted to state hey I work for CG on his info for those million people. Or pics of their products. Or anything. His whole info box is self promotion.

Sooo this was the first pic uploaded. When he was 15. Yet this 15 year old found a beautiful model to allow him to work on. Without a license. And he managed to know how to erase and edit that background day 1? Yeah OK...I have no idea how to do that catfish search for an image elsewhere on the internet but it would not surprise me in the least if he jacked that pic. His first 14 or so pics were consistently polished pro looking models. And then every pic after that was a selfie showing off himself and his own makeup. I call bullshit. And still nepatism.

Mimikyu
Learner
Learner

Post by Mimikyu »

Yeah it's not the fact that he himself is the face of cover girl, it's more a 'why did we skip over queer/trans girls in our progression and go straight to cis gay white boy'
It's good for him! I'm happy for him and that it does normalize it, but at the same time very much tired of these cis gay boys Being decent at makeup and everyone looses their damn minds over it being revolutionary but a girl could do twice as well for half as much.

TruthHurtz

Post by TruthHurtz »

Mimikyu wrote:Yeah it's not the fact that he himself is the face of cover girl, it's more a 'why did we skip over *no gender slurs, ty/trans girls in our progression and go straight to cis gay white boy'
It's good for him! I'm happy for him and that it does normalize it, but at the same time very much tired of these cis gay boys Being decent at makeup and everyone looses their damn minds over it being revolutionary but a girl could do twice as well for half as much.

Ugh sadly isn't that the way of the world In a sense. We hear so much about the glass ceiling for women. That we don't earn as much or get the better jobs. Women weren't even eligible voters until 1920. And the boom of working women didn't come until like the 50s and 60s.

Then on the male side of things kid has minimum skills and quickly achieved any recognition (like you said prob because he's a boy) but is contracted and praised like he's the biggest deal. Worlds first CoverBoy blah blah. To go from Katy Perry and Zandaya to this guy is like wtf. He doesn't even stand in the same building as someone with the selling power as Katy Perry does. You know who does? Someone like Caitlyn Jenner (if she isn't locked in with Mac) who has international recognizable fame and also represents equality in the makeup world.

Sorry for the rant. The feminist in me came out hard.

larrie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by larrie »

TruthHurtz wrote:can someone explain this to me.

i wonder if he bought some of his followers. i don't remember him talking about his parents but it is very possible that he's a "rich kid".

kathleenlightsssss
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by kathleenlightsssss »

It's not fair. 1.3 MIL on instagram already?! So fast. WTF?

Return to “James Charles”