Couponing

ZombieInWonderland
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Couponing

Post by ZombieInWonderland »

I was wondering, does anyone on this site live in Canada and coupon? Me and my husband have been wanting to try but I don't know where to even begin. I don't know what stores are the best to go to, hence why I want a fellow Canadian helping, since stores here can be a bit different than down in the states. But if anyone does coupon, even if you live somewhere else, I would love to talk to you about it. Any help would be appreciated!
Image Image
Side by side in big boy beds, they're best friends it's Hall and Ebs!

WheresMyCoffee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Couponing

Post by WheresMyCoffee »

I am Canadian and I coupon:)
You can get alot of great coupons online you can either print them or they will mail them to you.. save.ca, websaver.ca, gocoupons.ca, walmart.ca has some... You can also download Checkout 51 on your phone and they give a list of certain products and if you buy that product/take a picture of the receipt they will rebate you the money... once you have $20 in your account you can cash it in and they will mail you a check- Free Money :) I just started last week and already have $12.00 in my account.

Most grocery stores are coupon friendly, Walmart has a great policy and you can price match as well with any store in Canada.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :)

ZombieInWonderland
Gossiper
Gossiper

WheresMyCoffee wrote:I am Canadian and I coupon:)
You can get alot of great coupons online you can either print them or they will mail them to you.. save.ca, websaver.ca, gocoupons.ca, walmart.ca has some... You can also download Checkout 51 on your phone and they give a list of certain products and if you buy that product/take a picture of the receipt they will rebate you the money... once you have $20 in your account you can cash it in and they will mail you a check- Free Money :) I just started last week and already have $12.00 in my account.

Most grocery stores are coupon friendly, Walmart has a great policy and you can price match as well with any store in Canada.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask :)
The only thing I don't fully understand is stacking...Target lets you use 4 of the same coupons on 1 item, which is amazing, because then you can get a lot of stuff for free, but WalMart only lets you use 1 coupon for an item...how can that save you a ton of money? From what I've seen you're only looking at about $1-3 off something. I know in the long run that does help, but is there a way that you can stack coupons there without going against their policy and actually stacking?
Image Image

WheresMyCoffee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WheresMyCoffee »

Ya, not many Canadian retailers allow stacking.... not like in the States. You can save alot though by price matching, using coupons and check out 51 (or other rebate programs)
If cereal is $3.98
you could use say a 50 cent coupon, $1 rebate and price match to $3.00.. you save $2.48

ZombieInWonderland
Gossiper
Gossiper

So my best bet for places like WalMart is to do the price match to help with the coupon?
Image Image

WheresMyCoffee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WheresMyCoffee »

I am from a smaller town without places like Metro, Fresh Co or Target so if I were you definitely check out all coupon/price match policies but I know alot of places do But WM you can PM with any other store in Canada whereas alot of others have to be stores within a certain distance...
great refernce website is mrsjanuary.com

kittycatpancake
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by kittycatpancake »

ibeadork wrote: The only thing I don't fully understand is stacking...Target lets you use 4 of the same coupons on 1 item, which is amazing, because then you can get a lot of stuff for free, but WalMart only lets you use 1 coupon for an item...how can that save you a ton of money? From what I've seen you're only looking at about $1-3 off something. I know in the long run that does help, but is there a way that you can stack coupons there without going against their policy and actually stacking?
Target lets you use TWO coupons per item -- one store coupon and one manufacturer coupon. You may use 4 identical coupons per customer per day.

I have been couponing for about 5-6 years now in Canada and it's gone to shit because of the show. Coupons are harder to find, shelves are cleared a lot, and manufacturers offer lower-value coupons because couponing is now a fad. It's dying out though, because people are realizing it actually takes WORK and doesn't just fall into your lap. But that said, we have a HUGE stockpile at my house and we get most things dirt cheap.

Most places are not REALLY coupon-friendly, and I still have to explain to cashiers that one per purchase means one per item, not one per transaction, but every store is different.

Your best bet to get good deals is watching sales, collecting coupons and trading them if you aren't already, and using price matching to your advantage. You have to have a 'reserve' of cash to really get you rolling with coupons, because when you spot a great deal you need the $$ to be able to buy a larger supply of it to really reap the benefits. Like one year, there was a $3 off coupon on deodorant and it was on sale for $3, but I had to pay tax. Because I had the money for the tax, I was able to buy a dozen or more over the course of a few weeks. Likewise, a couple years ago there was an offer inside cases of Nestea for a free box. Basically as long as you kept buying specially marked boxes, you could roll over freebies and get as many as you wanted. I think we got like 300 cans of iced tea for just the tax and deposits. But again, to take advantage of that, you have to have a little reserve money.

Also always look for clearance, you can get phenomenal deals that way. Join FB groups, watch deal websites for info on sales, coupons, etc. It really makes it easier than finding every deal yourself.

Most of my best deals have not been with coupons lately, they've been clearance and opportunity deals, so don't be afraid to look outside the box and NOT use a coupon if you can find a better deal (perhaps at a store that doesn't accept coupons, or by buying a no-name brand).

gasaki56
Lurker
Lurker

Post by gasaki56 »

coupons and giveaways are great. :tu:

Return to “Finance”