I just moved out of home, and this place is really terrible.

illuminate
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I just moved out of home, and this place is really terrible.

Post by illuminate »

The place I just moved into is disgusting. Is it rude to move out immediately?
Basically, I'm renting a room from this person and I didn't realize how ratchet this place was until I moved in. The whole house is truly disgusting (I'm not that picky about cleanliness either), definitely the grossest place I've ever seen, and the person I'm renting from constantly has people over and is loud and annoying. They smoke pot all the time, so it stinks here too. And I have a room the size of a walk-in closet that doesn't even have a door so I can't escape any of it.

But the person I'm renting from has been extremely nice and welcoming to me. That's the only thing that's keeping me from moving out immediately.

I just moved in a few days ago, how soon can I move out? How can I do it without being terribly rude? They're so kind to me, but the conditions they live in are just not okay for me. I can get way better living conditions for the same price elsewhere. I can't imagine this place ever feeling anything like a home, I go out to shops just to walk around and escape it.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: I just moved out of home, and this place is really terri

Post by Angie V »

I lived in a terrible place for a year too but I signed a lease so I had to deal with it and it drove me nuts. If you can, just move out and don't worry about that person and just apologize, but find a place first so that you don't go back on what you said. Did you sign a lease? Because if not, then it's not a big deal. Just say that you found a bigger place that's closer to something (insert something in there) but don't mention that you think this place is gross because you don't want to offend that person's home. It's not worth it to keep being annoyed and mad because you will have a miserable time and then you might end up resenting that person for it.
imma ball til the day i fall

wtfareyouthinking
Stalker
Stalker

Post by wtfareyouthinking »

If you aren't on contract, you can move out whenever you like but don't expect a refund. Do you have the finances to move out ASAP if you are able to? As for a reason, you can say a friend is desperately in need of a room mate to keep a head over her roof. They shouldn't care too much if you gave them an excuse that was reasonable enough. It is not rude, but it is inconvenient. Do not feel obligated to stay. A home should always feel like home. <3

illuminate
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by illuminate »

You both are so sweet, thank you for the advice. <3 I didn't sign a lease or anything, my friend came up with the great excuse that I found a job that's too far away (a very good excuse because in Los Angeles, you have to live where you work to make commutes bearable). You know what, the lady I'm renting from is nice but there's a real disconnect between us and I'm sure she feels that we could both find a better match.

Should I give her a full month's notice? That seems like the polite thing to do.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

Yeah, a notice of at least like... I'd say two weeks would be nice, but a month is probably better :3
imma ball til the day i fall

Return to “Home”