Tips and Advice for Moving Out

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Tips and Advice for Moving Out

Post by hollaatmegurl »

I'm 19, graduated last May and am going to hopefully be moving out soon. I'm excited, nervous, and a little sad all at the same time, lol. If anyone has advice, experiences, tips for not feeling lonely, etc, it would be much appreciated :)

crazycandy
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tips and Advice for Moving Out

Post by crazycandy »

are your sharing a house with flatmate or a place of your own?

It's great to do some activity in your local area.
eg. yoga class, roller skating, martial art, art classes or any community of some sort. making new friends and getting out and about (healthy and stimulating) defiantly won't feel lonely.
or at work hang out with some of your work colleague, arrange days out. (hopefully they are nice people, not like my old work place I could not stand it as they are all gossipy gossipy and create drama).

are u allowed pets? :) cats are very nice companions too for a snuggle. xD my sister's cat get rid of all the bugs that enter the house.

hope this help <3

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

I'd suggest looking at places near a college so that you'd be around more people your age. Having a roommate would help, but only if you get along with them. I had to live alone for one semester in uni and I'm not particularly social, so it was pretty lonely. Pets are awesome but also a big financial responsibility.. when I first got an apartment I got two pet rats because they aren't expensive to take care of and they have a short life span (sad but true). Once I was more financially stable, I got a cat. Otherwise, maybe join a local Meetup group for whatever you're interested in and make sure to keep in contact with your current friends. Going out on your own and paying your own bills is definitely stressful, so start planning a budget now to figure out your expenses. If you don't have a credit card yet, go to your bank and see if they'll give you one. It's important to start establishing good credit early. ;)

Gremlin
Talker
Talker

Post by Gremlin »

In regards to buying stuff like furniture, linen, towels, kitchen stuff, etc. move out with the very bare minimum and buy as you need. I hate seeing people buying lots of house stuff and wasting money because they never end up using it. Scab as much house stuff from your parents as possible when you first start out and then judge what you need from there.

Gremlin
Talker
Talker

Post by Gremlin »

Sorry - I missed the edit button but have someone more stuff to add.

This more pertains to life itself but once you are out on your own you should definitely create a household budget. Ensure that you are responsible with your spending and create financial goals (especially savings goals).

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

Thanks to everyone who answered so far - I'm staying in town for now, looking at apartments around here, because my job is here and everything. Most of the people I talk to are hours away now though for their college (I'm not going to college yet). Pets are a good idea, I've been thinking about adopting a cat from a local shelter. As for credit, I've been making payments on my truck and also paying my phone bill, etc for a couple years (on time lol), hopefully that will help out.

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

Good luck! It's exciting getting your own place. I agree with Gremlin re: only buying the bare minimum. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and buy stuff you'll never use. If you have never lived on your own before I would definitely put a budget together and try and find out what your bills will be in advance. I remember when I first lived on my own and got the first month's bills - eek!

Return to “Home”