The World Cup

thatissofetch
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The World Cup

Post by thatissofetch »

I literally combed the site to find anything about the world cup, but i had no such luck. No football fans around here?

Anyway, i come from a family of all boys who all play, live and breath football, my father too. So naturally, my mother and i have become fans as well.

Who are you guys rooting for? many of the teams i supported are out, but i'll still post them.

1. Brazil
2. Ghana
3. Portugal
4. France
5. Argentina
6. Cote d'Ivoire
7. Mexico
8. Germany
9. Netherlands
10. Costa Rica
11. USA
12. Algeria

For the record, i live in america. My parents are foreigners and i am not originally from here, so grew up calling it football and i just never changed. My family and i dont care for us soccer(mls), which is why america is so low on my list. However, if all of my top 10 are gone, i will root for usa.

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: The World Cup

Post by Username »

I didn't know so many people cared about the world cup. My country isn't playing (and nobody cares about soccer) and even then there are so many people packed in malls and bars watching.

chloecour
Learner
Learner

Post by chloecour »

I was rooting for Mexico..
I guess it wasn't meant for Mexico to go to the Quarter-Finals... :(
I have a feeling Colombia or Argentina will win the World Cup.

SoccerKat
Debater
Debater

Post by SoccerKat »

I just spent 10 days in Manaus, so Brasil has a special place in my heart now! But I am from the US, so those are the 2 I'm rooting for! Football is my favorite sport so when the World Cup comes around, I get nothing accomplished because I'm always watching the games. Haha! I kind of prefer the Women's WC though, because the US has a better team and we usually make it a little farther than the Men's team. And honestly, it's more fun to watch because they don't flop and complain as much.

thatissofetch
Learner
Learner

Post by thatissofetch »

SoccerKat wrote:I just spent 10 days in Manaus, so Brasil has a special place in my heart now! But I am from the US, so those are the 2 I'm rooting for! Football is my favorite sport so when the World Cup comes around, I get nothing accomplished because I'm always watching the games. Haha! I kind of prefer the Women's WC though, because the US has a better team and we usually make it a little farther than the Men's team. And honestly, it's more fun to watch because they don't flop and complain as much.
Did you watch any games? I have some family down there, and they said its crazy! And yes, the us women's team always does very well! Didn't they win last wc?

Also, my predictions for the semi final are Netherlands, Argentina, Brasil and either Germany or France ( i honestly dont know about that one). I think Netherlands will win. For Argentina, Aguero isnt doing it, Lavezzi isnt starting, and i just dont see Messi and Di Maria taking it home. For Germany, Muller, Gotze, Schweinsteiger & co. are playing around. Neuer is their salvation, but even he cant always be there. However, if France beats Germany, i dont think they'll win either because Benzema and Giroud are playing like cones.

But you never know! This world cup has been full of surprises!

Also, who will win the golden boot? I wanted Benzema, but he isnt in the lead anymore. Now that its down to Neymar, Messi and Muller, even though i love nj, i want Muller because he's been showing out for his team.

SoccerKat
Debater
Debater

Post by SoccerKat »

thatissofetch wrote:
SoccerKat wrote:I just spent 10 days in Manaus, so Brasil has a special place in my heart now! But I am from the US, so those are the 2 I'm rooting for! Football is my favorite sport so when the World Cup comes around, I get nothing accomplished because I'm always watching the games. Haha! I kind of prefer the Women's WC though, because the US has a better team and we usually make it a little farther than the Men's team. And honestly, it's more fun to watch because they don't flop and complain as much.
Did you watch any games? I have some family down there, and they said its crazy! And yes, the us women's team always does very well! Didn't they win last wc?

Also, my predictions for the semi final are Netherlands, Argentina, Brasil and either Germany or France ( i honestly dont know about that one). I think Netherlands will win. For Argentina, Aguero isnt doing it, Lavezzi isnt starting, and i just dont see Messi and Di Maria taking it home. For Germany, Muller, Gotze, Schweinsteiger & co. are playing around. Neuer is their salvation, but even he cant always be there. However, if France beats Germany, i dont think they'll win either because Benzema and Giroud are playing like cones.

But you never know! This world cup has been full of surprises!

Also, who will win the golden boot? I wanted Benzema, but he isnt in the lead anymore. Now that its down to Neymar, Messi and Muller, even though i love nj, i want Muller because he's been showing out for his team.
Unfortunately, no. I was on a mission trip doing soccer camps and stuff with a church that is 3 blocks from the stadium. We would go out on the street on game day and watch the teams drive by. It was really cool! We almost got tickets to the US vs Portugal game, but it didn't work out. It was pretty nuts watching all the people walk by!

No, last WC the US Women's team played against Japan and lost in PKs I think. But we beat them in the Olympics in 2012!

I think Netherlands will probably win.

Ariadne

Post by Ariadne »

chloecour wrote:I was rooting for Mexico..
I guess it wasn't meant for Mexico to go to the Quarter-Finals... :(
I have a feeling Colombia or Argentina will win the World Cup.
Bleh, being a Brazilian, hearing argentina and win the world cup in the same sentence makes me cringe :p

I'm going for Brazil (obviously or else I can get murdered by my family) and Holland. Although, I barely understand soccer, so my opinion shouldn't matter too much. I just know if Argentina wins the cup in Brazil, you guys can expect a lot of riots.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

I'm from mexico so obviously seeing Mexico lose was really sad, they could've win but they were really sure they would win so at the end they didn't put enough effort into the game. Also I think Holland was playing dirty (not saying our team didn't but sometimes it's unfair)

I support England, the us, Mexico.

tinyblue
Informer
Informer

Post by tinyblue »

I was surprised that there was no thread on this as well! In rooting for good old USA (I'm American). I can't wait for the game against Belgium tomorrow.

I am also rooting for Costa Rica. Although I doubt either the US or Costa Rica will win.

I was SO disappointed at Mexico's loss. What a great run they had, though.

Both of my parents are immigrants (mom from Brazil, dad from Poland) so I was raised watching soccer. I love it, but I must admit, I partly watch to admire some of the handsome players. Am I the only one?! Haha

nudge
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by nudge »

I was originally rooting for Brazil, but then I watched Germany's opening game and they stole my heart :love2: So now I'm supporting Germany, Brazil and Netherlands (in that order). Betting with my friend on a GER-NED final heh :3

dazzle
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by dazzle »

Germany all the way! Though I suppose if we won't lose against France, which could definitely be happening, it won't be easy. But I have faith and I love our guys. Other than that I'm supporting Netherlands and then Brazil, just because I think every team would love to win in their own country.
I'd rather drink a cup of acid after chewing on a razor blade.

Lupita
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Lupita »

Im rooting for team USA!

SoccerKat
Debater
Debater

Post by SoccerKat »

I don't know if any of you are watching the ARG vs SUI game right now, but mmm Switzerland's GK is mighty fine! <3

CoralCat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by CoralCat »

My team didn't even qualify for the worldcup haha so I'm supporting Germany
I don't even watch soccer and don't know who's winning/who's out/if Germany is still in tbh tho

Fairycake
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Fairycake »

SoccerKat wrote:I don't know if any of you are watching the ARG vs SUI game right now, but mmm Switzerland's GK is mighty fine! <3
That guy used to be my neighbour and you are so right :D gahhh i'm so sad they lost. They did so damn well.

SoccerKat
Debater
Debater

Post by SoccerKat »

Fairycake wrote:
SoccerKat wrote:I don't know if any of you are watching the ARG vs SUI game right now, but mmm Switzerland's GK is mighty fine! <3
That guy used to be my neighbour and you are so right :D gahhh i'm so sad they lost. They did so damn well.

You lucky duck! Haha!

They were so close! I felt so bad for them! I really wanted them to beat Argentina!

Jellyisthename
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Jellyisthename »

Just because I was born and raised here, team USA!

If they don't make it past Belgium, I'll go with the Netherlands, they've been kicking butt in their games.

Fairycake
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Fairycake »

SoccerKat wrote:
Fairycake wrote:

You lucky duck! Haha!

They were so close! I felt so bad for them! I really wanted them to beat Argentina!
Me tooo:( still really proud of them for an awesome game. <3

caryldane
Stalker
Stalker

Post by caryldane »

Football is big here. So it's been buzz here since it started. Rooting for Germany. ;)

SoccerKat
Debater
Debater

Post by SoccerKat »

Such a disappointing loss for the US! Brazil all the way now!

Return to “Sports”