Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Emma

Post by inadream »

sarstar112 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:39 pm
She tweeted she wants to go back blonde. Anyone else think that she dyed her hair dark to match Ethan and now she wants it light again to match Aaron? Lol it’s kind of a reach but also funny if she did or subconsciously did it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She didn’t wanna go dark. She made a video about it and she literally cried because it was so dark lol she wanted to go lighter but the hairdresser convinced her to go darker

inadream
Informer
Informer

Re: Emma "Legal & Lonely" Chamberlain - Part 4

Post by inadream »

ilovemyself123 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 pm
inadream wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:53 pm
If they’re still together by summer I bet Aaron transfers to an LA school. He apparently already said transferring is a possibility, though I think transferring this early into a relationship would be a bad move. Or maybe he will gain more popularity and drop out completely
i don't see that happening. she has more than enough money to fly out to see him every weekend or fly him out and since she's not held down to la 24/7 she can go stay at a hotel with him near his college during the weeks if she wants. i know a girl who went to school in texas and her boyfriend in alabama and they made it work for like 3 years and now they live in the same town/are still together. ldr's do exist and work when you're able to see each other often (ie one of you is hella wealthy and can afford flights/road trips often)
He’s hinted multiple times he wants to transfer so I do see it happening. Obviously long distance relationships exists but I can’t see them doing it for the next 3 and a half years (if they last) when he can easily move to LA when he’s talked about wanting to transfer before. He said he originally wanted to go to school in LA or San Diego, he didn’t even wanna stay in Chico

sarstar112
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sarstar112 »

inadream wrote:
sarstar112 wrote:
She tweeted she wants to go back blonde. Anyone else think that she dyed her hair dark to match Ethan and now she wants it light again to match Aaron? Lol it’s kind of a reach but also funny if she did or subconsciously did it

She didn’t wanna go dark. She made a video about it and she literally cried because it was so dark lol she wanted to go lighter but the hairdresser convinced her to go darker
I mean when she originally went dark when she first moved to LA

inadream
Informer
Informer

Re: Emma

Post by inadream »

sarstar112 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:03 am
inadream wrote:
sarstar112 wrote:

She hadn’t even met Ethan yet when she went dark?? Lol her hair was already dark when she met him. She was about to move to LA by hadn’t yet when she dyed it, she still lived in SF

sarstar112
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sarstar112 »

inadream wrote:
sarstar112 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:03 am
inadream wrote:
sarstar112 wrote:

She hadn’t even met Ethan yet when she went dark?? Lol her hair was already dark when she met him. She was about to move to LA by hadn’t yet when she dyed it, she still lived in SF
She was friends with James and started hanging out with them right after... lol. Sorry girl im not an emma stan idk when she exactly met them. You probably dont either because her whole life isn’t filmed. Just making an observation and thought it was a funny coincidence if it wasn’t intentional!

carlinn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by carlinn »

sarstar112 wrote:She tweeted she wants to go back blonde. Anyone else think that she dyed her hair dark to match Ethan and now she wants it light again to match Aaron? Lol it’s kind of a reach but also funny if she did or subconsciously did it

Brad Pitt matching his girlfriends vibes

Daisyyvelise
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Daisyyvelise »

When Emma was friends with Ethan she still said 'boys hit me up, I want boyfriend' but with Aaron she said 'boys hit me up, wait no I'm not available'....😏

full_send
Debater
Debater

Post by full_send »

In last Thursday's Stupid Genius podcast, which is the one she showed herself recording a bit of in her video that posted yesterday, Emma said that her parents are her "safe zone."  She said that her two best female friends, Amanda and Olivia, remind her of her mother in terms of how they deal with different situations.  She said that the boys she is attracted to remind her of the best qualities of her own father, being outdoorsy but also mellow and able to calm her.  It is interesting and sweet the level to which Emma is close to her parents and fully admits both her reliance upon them for physical everyday life responsibilities, as she shows in her videos, but also for emotional support and her general admiration of them. 

Not to go too off topic, but some of the most "problematic" YouTubers in her general age demographic, Haley Morales and Danielle Cohn, have what is now known to be horrible parenting / family adults in their lives.  I view Emma as about as un-problematic as any YouTuber, at least in terms of not starting conflicts with anyone, and there is probably a sociological correlation someone will study as to family environment of YouTubers and being problematic / controversial or not.

full_send
Debater
Debater

Post by full_send »

I liked her video What I Actually Do In A Day, but will complain.  Emma seems 1) worried about flexing that she has a fitting with Louis Vuitton or 2) actively dislikes her own obligation to Louis Vuitton, that it just comes off as weird.  So many comments on the video are, Emma's boring day = fitting at LV and own podcast.  The last time Emma seemed excited by anything was Coachella 2018 and Playlist Live Orlando 2018.  The fitting at LV in her video was for her being named to the Time Next 100 and the gala she attended last weekend in New York City.  When she filmed the fitting Time had not formally announced the list or the party, but since she knew she would post the video later it is just disappointing she once again does not explain any details or context.  It is still as if she cannot accept that she has these elements in her life that are the opposite of "relatable" but rather than go with that as her fans want her to do she hides it all. 

Certainly other young female celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone, the Fanning Sisters, Billie Eilish etc. have zoomed from "relatable" to A-List red carpet parties, and their PR / agents must have playbooks on how to deal with this.  My opinion is that Emma's own charismatic and enthusiastic personality is what made all the big YouTubers and then brands notice her in 2018.  Unless her PR / UTA reps intervene, I think it is her own lack of interesting personality about the level of success she has achieved that will undo her success.  

[H]
Learner
Learner

Post by [H] »

F :tu:

htttps
Talker
Talker

Post by htttps »

full_send wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:23 pm

Certainly other young female celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone, the Fanning Sisters, Billie Eilish etc. have zoomed from "relatable" to A-List red carpet parties, and their PR / agents must have playbooks on how to deal with this.  My opinion is that Emma's own charismatic and enthusiastic personality is what made all the big YouTubers and then brands notice her in 2018.  Unless her PR / UTA reps intervene, I think it is her own lack of interesting personality about the level of success she has achieved that will undo her success.  
i totally agree with you and i just wanna point out that being relatable sells, but only temporarily. JLaw, Emma and the Fannings (i really wouldnt put the Fannings here but still) were already known in the industry, Billie wasnt, and yet trying to play the relatable game hit them all pretty hard.
with the first 3 ones, it was well played by their pr teams because for a while people felt like they, too, could become famous and eat pizza and still be pretty and loved by everyone. but being "relatable" starts becoming really annoying once you start seeing their faces everywhere and you realize "oh, but they're at the Oscars/MET Gala/whatever Hollywood event and they're still trying to make it seem like they're just like me. why??". people got tired of them trying to be relatable and now the general public cant stand any of them.

i think Emma's case will be more similar to Billie's because she wasnt that well known in the industry and she skyrocketed due to her relatability and being a young person who "doesnt give a fuck". Emma went through the same thing with youtube. Billie's "relatable" thing started affecting her career negatively when she became way too overexposed and they started to shove her face and music everywhere, because even then, she made it abundantly clear that she didnt know how to deal with it and it wasnt a big deal. but it was, and she went from being "relatable" to being an ungrateful/careless teen who we'll have to deal with until someone else pops out.

Emma is already overexposed in the Youtube scene, and if her team start overexposing her to the general public through all these major campaigns while simultaneously trying to still make her seem relatable to her young audience, it's going to backfire big time. they have to either turn her into a C-list celebrity/model full time, or leave her as a Youtuber with a lot of clout (think Pewdiepie, but less problematic).
i honestly dont think she has the range to go towards an acting or music career, so they'll probably turn her into a commercial model. but trying to jump from one side to the other constantly is not gonna work in the long run.

all the people mentioned above had at least visible talents (acting or singing) that could be comercialized, so it makes sense for them to still remain in the industry. if she stops being relatable majority of her audience is going away, and if that goes so do the big contracts she's getting now for it. when that happens, what does Emma have left? her personality is not gonna carry her through her whole life. especially when there are people out there who share the same personality traits but actually have exploitable talents.
everything i say is alleged, i dont know anything about anyone

seacuddle
Debater
Debater

Post by seacuddle »

I like Emma, I like her videos, I think she's a great girl with a good heart but WHY is she on Time Next 100? it's not that there's a problem with *her* it's just that there are some truly incredible humans who have achieved a great deal and she seems incredibly out of place. I understand her section is phenoms but she is still next to olympians and music stars

she has not, too my knowledge, ever used her influence or money to even advocate for a good cause..which is fine, i just don't understand why she's on that list lol.

WestCoastBlonde
Learner
Learner

Post by WestCoastBlonde »

I don't understand why this girl is so popular?
A friend told me she had 8 million subscribers and I was like, who?
Went to check her out and... how does she have 8 million subscribers?
I tried watching a few extra videos to see if it was just the first video that she seemed that boring and kind of annoying in. She seems pretty boring and annoying all the time?
Perhaps I'm just too old to understand her. I mean, good for her for finding success on youtube, but I don't get the appeal.

WestCoastBlonde
Learner
Learner

Post by WestCoastBlonde »

Guest wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:22 pm
WestCoastBlonde wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:03 am
I tried watching a few extra videos to see if it was just the first video that she seemed that boring and kind of annoying in. She seems pretty boring and annoying all the time?
Perhaps I'm just too old to understand her. I mean, good for her for finding success on youtube, but I don't get the appeal.
Cliffnotes: At the beginning she was VERY unproblematic (in contrast to other teen Youtubers around her age).

She went to a private Catholic School (Notre Dame)
Did Competitive Cheer
Had AP classes
I think she graduated a year early

Basically she was just more wholesome.

Then Sister Squad happened and she was cross-promoted along with the Dolan Twins and James Charles
She also was supposedly dating Ethan Dolan at that time and they became a fan favorite of the group
Then James Scandal Happened
Sister Squad Fell Apart

Dolan Twins father passed away from cancer (RIP Sean Dolan - He was an author, educator, coach, mentor to his kids, students in his school and generally the whole community mourned his passing)

Dolan Twins had a scandal (not their fault) with their idiot fans going to Sean's funeral

James Charles generally didn't spend anytime with the twins at all during this time (fans suspect this is when E and G completely severed ties with James)

Ethan and Emma's relationship lasted until early summer but couldn't endure the strain of everything happening.

Emma has had scandals with her clothing line in the past (blurring out products so customers couldn't tell what they were buying)

She's mainstream with her Louis Vuitton collaborations and her StupidGenius podcast

As others have said before she is increasingly overexposed

What's causing the disconnect right now is she's being very inauthentic in videos (Thrift haul when she's a millionaire for instance)
She made these weird jokes about her hygeine (diaper photo) and then got mad when people called her out on it.
Basically she plays at "being relatable" when her entire lifestyle has changed (and we can see that from mainstream outlets)

Thank you for explaining it to me.

I was trying to figure out why this millionaire who's going to Paris Fashion Week and driving around vehicles that cost six figures is trying to pretend to be just a 'regular gal', when she's clearly so far disconnected from regular gal she really doesn't even know what that is anymore.

It seems like an act. And an annoying one at that. So I'm glad I'm not the only one to find her inauthentic.

Post by Guest »

seacuddle wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:06 pm
I like Emma, I like her videos, I think she's a great girl with a good heart but WHY is she on Time Next 100? it's not that there's a problem with *her* it's just that there are some truly incredible humans who have achieved a great deal and she seems incredibly out of place. I understand her section is phenoms but she is still next to olympians and music stars

she has not, too my knowledge, ever used her influence or money to even advocate for a good cause..which is fine, i just don't understand why she's on that list lol.
I can definitely see why she's on the list. She definitely hasn't had an influence over the general population, but she has influenced a lot of teenage girls. I've noticed that she's started a lot of fashion trends and just the way teens talk/what words they use. Maybe not so much anymore, but I would say a year or year and half ago she was really influential in teens' lifestyles.

shesofunny
Lurker
Lurker

Post by shesofunny »

alwaysdat wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:12 pm
seacuddle wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:06 pm

I can definitely see why she's on the list. She definitely hasn't had an influence over the general population, but she has influenced a lot of teenage girls. I've noticed that she's started a lot of fashion trends and just the way teens talk/what words they use. Maybe not so much anymore, but I would say a year or year and half ago she was really influential in teens' lifestyles.
yeah, all the people on the list are there because they have influence. Not because they've advocated for something. And at Emma's rate of popularity, putting her next to music stars and all these other groups isn't a stretch. She has just as much popularity as them, people still just don't see YouTube as a really big thing yet. I don't think she's out of place at all when she arguablyhas had a huge influence over one of the biggest social media platforms of the decade.

full_send
Debater
Debater

Post by full_send »

A few days ago Tana Mongeau posted on her IG a pic of her and Emma at Zane's B-Day party last weekend (Zane is in the Vlog Squad with David Dobrik.)  Emma's fans were hugely happy.  A year ago, after TanaCon, Emma's fans wanted Emma nowhere near Tana in anyway.

A few hours ago, Bryant on his IG posted 10 pics from Zane's party, one of Emma and David Dobrik.  Emma's Twitter stans are going hyperactive crazy happy, begging for a collab, for Emma in a Vlog Squad vid, responding as if, for example, Emma and Ethan had announced they were still in love.  It is an unspoken knowledge in her fandom that Emma's view counts are dropping, and this largely has to do with her being a professional frickup who is unable or unwilling to remain friends with any relevant YouTubers, which is part of the job whether she likes it or not.  A year ago Emma was friends and collabing with just about everyone, now she is friends with and collabs with no one.  The Sister Squad video she posted on Halloween 2018 has 24 million views, the Halloween video she posted in 2019 of herself alone in her closet has just barely hit 3 million views.  

Even her 2017 Halloween costume ideas video has about 2.5 million views, this despite posting it when she had 250k subscribers as she gained so many fans in 2018 that her 2017 videos have been binge watched endlessly by new fans.  She has videos from early 2018 that were still gaining a million views a month in early 2019.  At this time Emma is barely gaining any new subscribers, and her older videos are barely being (re-)watched as they had been 6 months ago.  Yes I sort of keep track of this stuff so sorry if it is boring.

The point here is that Emma must be reading her socials and seeing the 100% of her biggest Twitter / IG stan accounts begging for her to collab with David, Tana, even Zane, basically anyone, posting lots of old pics of her when she was in the Vlog Squad for about two months in summer 2018 (which ended when David tortured Emma with a giant snake and her worst fear, caterpillars.)  David Dobrik has publicly said only nice things about Emma in the past year.  He may or may not want to actually have her in one of his videos again, but certainly she still has enough of a huge following that a collab with her would be good for just about any of the LA YouTubers.

And yes, I think it is stupid that Emma either 1) flips off the camera 2)sticks her tongue out with the peace sign. Apparently she is unable to just smile and wave, or thumbs up, we are only missing the idiot fish lips then it would be a trifecta of dumbass poses.

full_send
Debater
Debater

Post by full_send »

WestCoastBlonde wrote:
Although ChibiAngel gave a quality assessment of Emma's career, let me chime in, as I certainly do see how new viewers would wonder what all the hoopla about Emma is for.

In 2017 and into most of 2018, whatever the amount of time an average YouTuber would spend editing a standard 15 minute vlog or haul, Emma would spend twice that amount of time. She would add extra jump cuts for pacing, little AV flourishes that were often unexpected and seemingly pretty original. As has been discussed endlessly in 100 YT drama videos, Emma did not invent any AV techniques, it was all in iMovie or Final Cut Pro, nor was she the very first to use any specific technique, but she curated a template of effects that by early 2018 were being copied by 100s of other YouTubers. Facial distortions, certain music clips, her Me Editing meta-narrative, these made her videos a cut above the admittedly low standards of YouTube video production.

Watch Emma's 2018 Truth About Coachella, or One BIg YouTube Sleepover, these were when she basically became the queen of her teenage female peer group, often called Dote girls as they were all connected to the shopping app Dote.

Or watch any of her vlogs in late 2017, early 2018 driving herself to San Francisco to try Instafamous food or coffee and just telling stories to the camera. Her charisma and confidence struck a chord that so many of the biggest LA YouTubers such as James Charles, David Dobrik, Tana Mongeau noticed and wanted to bring onto their own channels.

full_send
Debater
Debater

Post by full_send »

WestCoastBlonde wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:10 pm
Guest wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:22 pm
WestCoastBlonde wrote:

Thank you for explaining it to me.

I was trying to figure out why this millionaire who's going to Paris Fashion Week and driving around vehicles that cost six figures is trying to pretend to be just a 'regular gal', when she's clearly so far disconnected from regular gal she really doesn't even know what that is anymore.

It seems like an act. And an annoying one at that. So I'm glad I'm not the only one to find her inauthentic.
This may be sort of an argument.  Emma is not "pretending" to be anything she isn't.  The concept of "relatable" is an invention of social media applied to virtually all YT creators and then used against them once they start becoming successful.  Although the negatives about being "relatable" seem curiously aimed 100% at females and rarely at males who have achieved success.

Emma wakes up everyday, goes to Soul Cycle, goes to Philz for coffee, maybe picks up her friends Amanda or Olivia to go have lunch and perhaps post a Tik Tok or IG Story about spilling their coffee or not finding a parking spot, actions she did when she was not so famous.  Then yes she will go have a photoshoot with Calvin Klein or record her podcast, then afterwards spend a half hour arguing with herself if to go shopping at Whole Foods or Postmate something.  She is 18 and a normal emotional, indecisive teen girl still forging her own identity, albeit with her own large apartment in Hollywood and more resources to acquire objects or go on a sudden vacation than 99% of her viewers. 

Emma did not start her channel as narrative of the economic challenges of the lower middle class.  She rants about the same things she has always ranted about, which are primarily everyday situations everyone finds themselves in.  Jerry Seinfeld and Roseanne Barr made careers out of ranting about the smallest details and no one dragged them for being "inauthentic" despite their millions of dollars and huge brand endorsements.  There are plenty of ways Emma can be annoying and I do see why lots of people would have zero interest in watching her videos, but I do not think it is accurate to project any part of how she shows herself on any social media platform as inauthentic.  She neither shows off nor totally hides her new Mercedes, she flexes her success as little as any young millionaire this side of Billie Eilish, but she doesn't completely hide that she does go to New York Fashion week or work with Louis Vuitton.

full_send
Debater
Debater

Post by full_send »

Emma posted on her IG Story earlier today a pic of her and her dad in a car.  She may be going back to the Bay Area to spend Thanksgiving with her family, and also see her new boyfriend Aaron Hull.

We can pretty much call Aaron her boyfriend now.  Yesterday he posted on IG and Emma and Aaron were then flirting all over the comments similar or more than she and Ethan would do.  The question will be not if they see each other this week, but will they post an IG pic together, or a Tik Tok, or have Emma actually include him in one of her videos, which would probably be the most confirmation she would do even if they aren't saying anything about what their relationship is.

Also, I could have added to the post above about Emma being "relatable" that her issues with boys have been a main source of public interest, even though she has been very closed about who she may or may not be dating.  This is the universal narrative that connects all celebrities no matter their net worth to we peasants in the crowd.

Return to “Emma Chamberlain”