Gymscool Part 2

alexmorgan
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gymscool Part 2

Post by alexmorgan »

I dont know that much about gymnastics, does that mean syd m. is legit nt material now? Or are they frequently inviting girls to check out their skills in person?

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by chloesweb85 »

alexmorgan wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:45 am
I dont know that much about gymnastics, does that mean syd m. is legit nt material now? Or are they frequently inviting girls to check out their skills in person?
She is legit. Doesn’t mean she is headed for the olympics, but I’m sure she will end up with a college scholarship.

alexmorgan
Talker
Talker

Post by alexmorgan »

chloesweb85 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:02 pm
alexmorgan wrote:
She is legit. Doesn’t mean she is headed for the olympics, but I’m sure she will end up with a college scholarship.
Wow i didnt see that happening, i guess i knew she was good but that good ? (but then again, dont know too much about gymnastics). Either way, i do hope shes figured out the whole olympics,worlds,... situation.In the position/group she is in now, i could see people giving her a hard time about that.

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by chloesweb85 »

alexmorgan wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:03 pm
chloesweb85 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:02 pm
alexmorgan wrote:
Wow i didnt see that happening, i guess i knew she was good but that good ? (but then again, dont know too much about gymnastics). Either way, i do hope shes figured out the whole olympics,worlds,... situation.In the position/group she is in now, i could see people giving her a hard time about that.

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by chloesweb85 »

I think always had the potential, but 1st class REALLY held her back. I wonder if she regrets staying there so long.

tsangpogorge
Learner
Learner

Post by tsangpogorge »

Even after moving gyms I was sceptical about her future (I honestly thought she'd quit at the end of last season) but I was happy to be proved wrong. I'm still certain we can rule out the Olympic team though, Syd's not the type of powerhouse gymnast who can consistently throw the kind of huge skills needed to compete against the very best.

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

alexmorgan wrote:
She's always had the legit material, just no one to harness it. And the first camp of the year is ALWAYS huge. Like there are girls there that didn't even qualify for Nationals, but they think may have potential.

And the weird thing is while I would have loved for Sydney to have better coaching earlier on, but I think her transition to a better gym that caters to elites came at the right time. Like yeah maybe she could have been elite at 11 with the right training, but the think with the US system is unless you are Simone or Aly, your lifespan as an elite gymnast will probably be very short due to the demand, depth and the NCAA. And she is rn is the perfect position pacing wise, so long as she doesn't grow or get injured.

And she will 100% get a scholarship to a good D1 school just by being a US elite. Even the "worst" US elites can get a scholarship to a D1 school. The only issue she may have is honestly her YouTube and if she ever made money. Like the NCAA has taken away athletes scholarships for things that have NOTHING to do with the sport like making music. So if she was ever making money off of her videos in the past, that may come back to haunt her, even more so because her videos incorporate gymnastics A LOT.

f4k_oyevey
Talker
Talker

Post by f4k_oyevey »

I think she got lucky that she never got seriously injured and her form wasn't beyond fixing under the Mary regime and I also now agree her late move may be in her favor.

A lot of the really young successful junior elites (what Sydney is until she turns 16) that were supposed to make it to the Olympics, etc never even made it to compete as seniors, arnt even in the 2020 picture. There has been news coming out this week that a ton of elites dropped to level 10.

As for NCAA, I watched a recent vlog of hers and she is talking about releasing "merch". A lot of comments were saying, "No! Don't do it, because of college" but it's like they don't care. It's confusing to me. But also in the same vlog they were house hunting (again) and spending tons of money left and right to the point it has to be unrelatable. They went shopping at the mall and Syd did the awkward "mom online clothes shopping reveal". She got more things than I think the average kid gets for Christmas, just for fun! I wonder if they are just rich enough that a college scholarship is just a drop in the bucket and the YouTube fame /$$
is better in their view.

Her mom also said on the vlog Syd wants to be an actress, so there is that...

As a gym fan it hurts me seeing a kid all but guaranteed a D1 scholarship and college experience and just flushing it. Morgan is committed to Florida & has kept her eligability,so the gym knows how it all works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

Which other elites dropped down? I know Maile did.

And the other shitty thing is, even though it's frustrating to see parents potentially throwing away a kids scholarship, and even if she's at a gym who knows what they are doing, she may have already received money before she changed gyms. Like it would not surprise me if there was a ton of insta gymnast whos accounts are run by their parents that are at risk for losing their potential scholarships, because in the heat of insane popularity their parents buckled.

f4k_oyevey
Talker
Talker

Post by f4k_oyevey »

RazzleDazzle46 wrote:Which other elites dropped down? I know Maile did.

And the other shitty thing is, even though it's frustrating to see parents potentially throwing away a kids scholarship, and even if she's at a gym who knows what they are doing, she may have already received money before she changed gyms. Like it would not surprise me if there was a ton of insta gymnast whos accounts are run by their parents that are at risk for losing their potential scholarships, because in the heat of insane popularity their parents buckled.
Did not even occur to me she could have lost eligability at 1st Class, uhg. Only time will tell I guess.

Happier news, I'm hearing Syd got 3rd AA at WOGA Classic. First was Kayla DiCello (Hill's Gymnastics) & 2nd being Love Birt from her gym!

f4k_oyevey
Talker
Talker

Post by f4k_oyevey »

As for the elites - GymCastic podcast said 16 elites dropped back to L10. I can come up with : Maile O'Keefe being the biggie, who plans to go early to Utah (fall '19).

Also: Adeline Kenlin, Deanne Soza, Abi Walker, Brenna Nsuelt, Madeleine Johnston, Claire Dean, Elena Erenas. Maybe Gabby Perea.

Obvious not the inclusive list, but quite a few. That's all I've found, curious who else is on the list.

whatamievendoing
Talker
Talker

Post by whatamievendoing »

Here are Sydney's routines from the WOGA Classic - she had a fall on beam and hands down on her double tuck on floor but overall she's looking pretty good. She has a new bars dismount and some new connections and a standing full on beam -

haterade073
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by haterade073 »

I like Sydney's new beam routine. I do think she's lost her NCAA eligibility. Its not even just the scholarship. If she's lost it then she can't even be on a team and compete.

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

Looks like Kenzie from 1st Class switched to Docksiders.

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

I know we mostly talk about if Syd regrets when she moved(I honestly think she moved at the perfect time for someone with elite potential, because I think she would have peaked too soon otherwise). That being said I wonder if Peanut regrets it. Was just looking at her scores, and she's getting mostly 37's now. Had she switched earlier I think she could have been a solid level 10 gymnast who could have been committed somewhere by now. I still think she has a chance of getting a scholarship to a decent school if she keeps going this way but I think she waited too long.

tsangpogorge
Learner
Learner

Post by tsangpogorge »

RazzleDazzle46 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:49 am
I know we mostly talk about if Syd regrets when she moved(I honestly think she moved at the perfect time for someone with elite potential, because I think she would have peaked too soon otherwise). That being said I wonder if Peanut regrets it. Was just looking at her scores, and she's getting mostly 37's now. Had she switched earlier I think she could have been a solid level 10 gymnast who could have been committed somewhere by now. I still think she has a chance of getting a scholarship to a decent school if she keeps going this way but I think she waited too long.
Her current performance levels are good enough to qualify for JO nationals where every college in the country will be in attendance, a strong AA performance there might be enough to get earn her an NCAA spot and even if that were not to happen Peanut was held back a school year if I'm not mistaken so even though she turns 18 this year there's still another meet season left for her to get recruited.

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

I know she can be recruited to a decent school, but I wonder if she waited too long in the sense that she's been a level 10 gymnast since 2015 and she had the potential to clearly be a top recruit(I mean she still could be, but she had 3 wasted years). Even though she is doing well I would have regretted wasting those three years. She wasn't like Syd, who yeah she could have been at a better gym, but she was talented enough that it didn't hurt her too much and she moved IMO at the perfect time. Peanut needed a better gym years ago. She doesn't have as much natural talent as Syd. She needed the better coach way earlier.

tsangpogorge
Learner
Learner

Post by tsangpogorge »

RazzleDazzle46 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:35 pm
I know she can be recruited to a decent school, but I wonder if she waited too long in the sense that she's been a level 10 gymnast since 2015 and she had the potential to clearly be a top recruit(I mean she still could be, but she had 3 wasted years). Even though she is doing well I would have regretted wasting those three years. She wasn't like Syd, who yeah she could have been at a better gym, but she was talented enough that it didn't hurt her too much and she moved IMO at the perfect time. Peanut needed a better gym years ago. She doesn't have as much natural talent as Syd. She needed the better coach way earlier.
I'm not denying that the coaching at First Class was inadequate especially for higher levels but another possible reason why her results may have taken a dive was puberty. She initially looked quite promising as a level 10, making it to JO nationals in her second season but during the subsequent months underwent a major physical transformation that had to have made an impact on her gymnastics.

f4k_oyevey
Talker
Talker

Post by f4k_oyevey »

I am guessing her best shot, at this point, is as a 'walk on' to a team with hopes of gaining a scholarship in later years. Honestly, there is no shame in this, plenty of girls go the walk on route. Even if she doesn't get a full ride scholarship, she can still compete and be part of a team.

I'm wishing very positive things for her going into JO Nationals this year. I agree, her timing was bad with regards to the combo of puberty, peaking at the wrong time and having coaches that didn't know how to deal with it. Agree, Syd lucked out w/ her timing. I still really wonder why there was such fierce (& blind IMOP) loyalty to Coach Mary w/ so many of the girls.

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

I honestly don't think it was puberty. Her scores from the beginning of level 10 till regionals 2016 were all over the place between 32-36. Then at Regionals and JO nationals she got 37's. Then she went right back to 33-36. I think she just had 2 good meets. Minus those 2 good meets her scores were stagnant for almost 4 years of being a level 10 at 1st class. Then within 2 months she became a new gymnast.

And honestly if she keeps improving the way she is, if she can keep this momentum and get low-mid 27's to low 28's she can got into a decent school on scholarship. At this point she is actually scoring well enough to be on a lower ranking D1 team. If you look at the weakest D1 schools(which would all have the same amount of scholarships as a UCLA), girls were getting lower than average scores than she is currently. But the one thing that may make it harder for her is there are more gymnasts at her level than the ones scoring 28-29. So there are more gymnasts out for those spots.

Return to “Gymscool”