Gymscool

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gymscool

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

keliza wrote:Hailey tied for first on bars! Her routine is posted on the USAG YouTube channel.
I was looking at her scores and I thought "You can still do better as far as gyms". She feels like someone who would really benefit from an amazing gym.

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

I wonder if Peanut still has her eyes set on Division 1 gymnastics, because if so, it's not looking too promising...

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

Did she ever day she wanted to go to a DI school? Because it was looking even worse before to the point where I struggle to believe she thought she could make it then. My bet is she's riding on possibly making a DII team ideally and getting a scholarship. She could probably make a DIII team though. Also I just realised that she will be graduating HS the year she turns 20. How far behind is she?

Sydney making elite, so long as she can stay healthy has pretty much almost guaranteed herself a spot/scholarship on a DI team.

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

I should add I meant did she ever mention she wanted to go to a DI school when she was with Mary. But in hindsight of course she did. I mean she truly wanted and probably thought she could go elite.

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

RazzleDazzle46 wrote:Did she ever day she wanted to go to a DI school? Because it was looking even worse before to the point where I struggle to believe she thought she could make it then. My bet is she's riding on possibly making a DII team ideally and getting a scholarship. She could probably make a DIII team though. Also I just realised that she will be graduating HS the year she turns 20. How far behind is she?

Sydney making elite, so long as she can stay healthy has pretty much almost guaranteed herself a spot/scholarship on a DI team.
From http://www.gym-style.com/katieours/about.htm
Katie trains 20-24 hours per week at Docksiders Gymnastics in Millersville, MD under coaches Bob Oulette, Katie Williams and Jay Barrows. Katie would like to qualify to the Junior Olympic Nationals again and to compete for a Division I college gymnastics team.
I believe that was made after Coach Mary had left, so that even more so shows that (at least when she made the switch to Docksiders) she still had D1 aspirations.

As for her age, I think she may be 2 years behind in school, which is not a good look. Someone mentioned it as while ago on this thread (Ddddd I think) that doing just a few hours of school every day does not cut it. She should have either left 1st Class earlier to actually get better training and have a shot at elite (which is what we all have been saying) or enrolled in regular high school to stay on track in terms of schooling and still be able to train enough after school to have a shot at being on a DII/DIII team. Training 20-24 hours a week does not seem like enough to the point where she has to be homeschooling.

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

That's why I meant before when she was with Mary, aka before she had that page. Because I know she she mentioned it on her gym page.

Honestly as far as the age thing goes, universities don't care so long as you have the grades. If that was the case some people with GED's would be screwed. For me the concern is no one cares that she's behind, I mean 2 years on a lot. I hope they are't putting gymnastics first now, because this is the rest of her life. Gymnastics for most is until they are like 22-25. While it's great to do college gymnastics the actually schooling should be priority.

Also I know I've mentioned this before, but she could have gone to the best gym possible, but I highly doubt she would have ever gone elite. A better gym would have gotten her a better chance of getting into a DI school, but even looking at her older stuff she never looked like someone with that elite spark or skill. If you look at people like Ragan prior to switching gyms you could tell there was something there, you could see the potential, but you could also see she needed a better coach.

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

RazzleDazzle46 wrote:That's why I meant before when she was with Mary, aka before she had that page. Because I know she she mentioned it on her gym page.

Honestly as far as the age thing goes, universities don't care so long as you have the grades. If that was the case some people with GED's would be screwed. For me the concern is no one cares that she's behind, I mean 2 years on a lot. I hope they are't putting gymnastics first now, because this is the rest of her life. Gymnastics for most is until they are like 22-25. While it's great to do college gymnastics the actually schooling should be priority.

Also I know I've mentioned this before, but she could have gone to the best gym possible, but I highly doubt she would have ever gone elite. A better gym would have gotten her a better chance of getting into a DI school, but even looking at her older stuff she never looked like someone with that elite spark or skill. If you look at people like Ragan prior to switching gyms you could tell there was something there, you could see the potential, but you could also see she needed a better coach.
My point about it not being a good look was more related to the fact that it has taken her ~2-3 years to complete her freshman year, including the summer. Something is off there. It could just be that she only does a few hours a day, or perhaps there is something more going on like she is not passing her online classes. (Side note: I find it interesting that a good percentage of gymnasts are homeschooled because they train more hours, but other sports' athletes (swimming, track and field, football, basketball, baseball, etc.) are not known to homeschool but are just as demanding a sport.) Going back to Peanut, per her Gym Style page, she is training less time than she would be at school if she went to regular high school. If she isn't training much and isn't progressing in school...something definitely has to be going on. All of her current/former teammates (that we know of/excluding Annie) are on track in terms of schooling and have had no major issues. If you had the means not to (which I presume she does), why would you want to let yourself fall behind a few years in school?

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Post by chloesweb85 »

ItsAndrew wrote:
RazzleDazzle46 wrote:That's why I meant before when she was with Mary, aka before she had that page. Because I know she she mentioned it on her gym page.

My point about it not being a good look was more related to the fact that it has taken her ~2-3 years to complete her freshman year, including the summer. Something is off there. It could just be that she only does a few hours a day, or perhaps there is something more going on like she is not passing her online classes. (Side note: I find it interesting that a good percentage of gymnasts are homeschooled because they train more hours, but other sports' athletes (swimming, track and field, football, basketball, baseball, etc.) are not known to homeschool but are just as demanding a sport.) Going back to Peanut, per her Gym Style page, she is training less time than she would be at school if she went to regular high school. If she isn't training much and isn't progressing in school...something definitely has to be going on. All of her current/former teammates (that we know of/excluding Annie) are on track in terms of schooling and have had no major issues. If you had the means not to (which I presume she does), why would you want to let yourself fall behind a few years in school?
I think the difference between gymnastics and other sports is the equipment and need for spotting. A swimmer or basketball player can practice on their own on the weekend. A gymnast is limited. Even if they have a bar and small beam at home they aren’t going to practice newly learned skills with no spot. So their training is going to be in the gym with a coach. Places like hills don’t home school, but they go very early in the morning and after school which I’m sure is exhausting.

keliza
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by keliza »

Besides, female gymnasts need to peak in their teens, which is not necessary for most other sports, particularly those focused on men. Sports like tennis and skiing that also start kids young have specialized academies, and I am sure that is partly to allow for reduced hours and/or kids missing big chunks of school to travel to competing. High school is a path to many college sports, especially team sports, but not so for gymnastics. And you see kids going to specific high schools for football or basketball and academics is probably not their focus.

Gymnasts also have to share a limited amount of equipment. Most gyms can't have all their levels practicing at the same time and there are a lot of hours to fill in. If your kid is aiming for high levels or you just don't want them to get home from practice at ten, still needing to eat, shower, and do homework then get up for 8 am school, homeschooling so they can practice when most kids are in school would sound very appealing I would think.

AlexVause
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AlexVause »

So, what new gym is Katie D enrolled at, anyone know? Too bad they won't film there either, their vlogs are so boring now.

f4k_oyevey
Talker
Talker

Post by f4k_oyevey »

AlexVause wrote:So, what new gym is Katie D enrolled at, anyone know? Too bad they won't film there either, their vlogs are so boring now.
It is Docksiders., which I thought we already knew.

But I think they figured people would click (I did, it's been awhile) with the title since I guess she is finally healed enough to be paying team dues and "officially" part of the team.

Agreed on the boring vlogs. I found the Blue Angels part kinda interesting, but I doubt most of the target audience would know what they were, why they are flying,...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmmomSD

Post by lmmomSD »

f4k_oyevey wrote:
AlexVause wrote:So, what new gym is Katie D enrolled at, anyone know? Too bad they won't film there either, their vlogs are so boring now.
It is Docksiders., which I thought we already knew.

But I think they figured people would click (I did, it's been awhile) with the title since I guess she is finally healed enough to be paying team dues and "officially" part of the team.

Agreed on the boring vlogs. I found the Blue Angels part kinda interesting, but I doubt most of the target audience would know what they were, why they are flying,...

Especially because they fly every year for USNA graduation.
For people who have no affiliation with the Naval Academy, they sure fangirl over it a lot. I lived in Annapolis because my ex was a Company Officer. Most Annapolis residents who don't have a reason to, really don't pay much attention to the goings on. But they buy (not cheap) gear, and go to football games. I suppose it's not much different than supporting any college team in the area in which you live. But since it's a service academy, those of us who do have an affiliation (my ex, my dad, my uncles and grandfather went there) feel a little propietary about it.
Sorry, this is probably the wrong thread.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

chloesweb85
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by chloesweb85 »

I only know the blue angels because they do a show where my parents live in Florida.

I think Katie waited to say anything official since she went back last time. I wouldn’t say anything either unless I was REALLY sure this time.

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

So I was watching a vlog by Annie Beard(Texas Dream's Jr. elite gymnast) and she did a day in the life of a gymnast. Something I noticed was their classroom for the homeschooled kids. It was an actual classroom, desks, a whiteboard and all that jazz. Not only that, but it's clear that despite being homeschooled they are getting more of an actual school experience vs sitting in a small silent, badly painted room, with fold out tables for hours on end staring at a laptop. She was talking about having to do a presentation that day and working with her partner for her history project, and from the looks and sounds of it I wouldn't be surprised if the had a teacher as well. Not just a different parent each day sitting in, making sure everyone is quiet.

keliza
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by keliza »

Texas Dreams essentially has its own school that covers the core subjects with certified teachers. Of course the place is so big it is practically its own city, so that is a viable model for them.

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

keliza wrote:Texas Dreams essentially has its own school that covers the core subjects with certified teachers. Of course the place is so big it is practically its own city, so that is a viable model for them.
But my point is you can still easily have an actual school environment. 1st class didn't need 5 teachers, and a billion classrooms, getting one or two teachers, one program, getting the girls to work on things together, setting up the room like an actual classroom, having more than 2 hours of school were all things that could have been done, but they pretty much just lazied out.

f4k_oyevey
Talker
Talker

Post by f4k_oyevey »

Just saw Syd posted her routines from JO Nationals. I'm so glad she made the switch to First State!! Just hope they continue to pace her well! What is next for her? US Classics? Or will she need to compete at American Classics? I am still a little unclear how first year junior qualifications work.

innocentbistander
Lurker
Lurker

Post by innocentbistander »

So since she qualified Elite, she will be able to compete in the US/American Classic. If she scored well enough there she advanced to US championships (formerly P&G champs before the company withdrew its sponsorship with the Nassar horrors)

RazzleDazzle46
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by RazzleDazzle46 »

f4k_oyevey wrote:Just saw Syd posted her routines from JO Nationals. I'm so glad she made the switch to First State!! Just hope they continue to pace her well! What is next for her? US Classics? Or will she need to compete at American Classics? I am still a little unclear how first year junior qualifications work.

Works the same for Jr's or Sr's. You get your elite scores but you can still compete level 10 because you aren't technically elite yet. Then you can do the American Classics and/or the US Classics. Most of the younger girls will do both because you need a certain score to make it to nationals(50.00 for Jr's), and this gives them 2 chances to make it all while gaining more competition experience. Most older girls wont do American and will do less at US Classics because they have already qualified through the year through international assignments or National Team Camps.

Eleven
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Eleven »

Sydney is officially on the roster to compete at the American Classic next weekend! https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=22143&prog=h

It used to be at the ranch which meant closed to the public/no videos, but they're streaming it on USAG's YouTube channel this year – here's the link for junior session (where Syd will be)

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “Gymscool”