Bethany on DWTS

kayuhsee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bethany on DWTS

Post by kayuhsee »

kuspid wrote:They did like a little biography of her and her childhood. Her family were all talking about her and then all of a sudden Michelle Phan appears saying something so generic and stupid.
Yeah out of every youtuber why Michelle Phan? I get that she is one of the more known Youtubers, but I think someone like Conner would have been better.

Pistachiyo
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Pistachiyo »

^ Connor and her really aren't even that close either if anything it should be ricky.

also her facial expressions in their contemporary dance was TERRIBLEE.

MDNA
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MDNA »

Something is off with Derek this season, I really don't get why he didnt give her harder routines, she never messes up, doesnt make mistakes or forgets the dance, unlike the other girls, I don't get why he hasn't pushed her harder,I expected especially in the last weeks of the show they'd come up with something amazing, but nah. Their best dances were the paso, salsa(ricky and lucy) and the singing in the rain one. The rest is forgetable.

whatsabeautyguru
Debater
Debater

Post by whatsabeautyguru »

MDNA wrote:Something is off with Derek this season, I really don't get why he didnt give her harder routines, she never messes up, doesnt make mistakes or forgets the dance, unlike the other girls, I don't get why he hasn't pushed her harder,I expected especially in the last weeks of the show they'd come up with something amazing, but nah. Their best dances were the paso, salsa(ricky and lucy) and the singing in the rain one. The rest is forgetable.
I've been wondering the same thing. Derek normally pushes his partners to be the best. But each week with Bethany, I'm fucking bored, even though they don't technically make mistakes.
They're not doing anything amazing. They're just getting by. It's frustrating.

Even if I don't like Bethany all that much, she deserves more quite honestly. He's giving her nothing!

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Username »

I don't understand why this unbearably boring show is so popular. Most of the show's viewers have no clue who most of the "celebs" are.

lindsaaay920
Informer
Informer

Post by lindsaaay920 »

Ugh IV ist can't stand Derek. He comes off as sooo arrogant and doesn't seem to have any fun with it, just allllll serious business. I kind of feel bad for Beth, she doesn't seem to have much fun during rehearsals or anything because of it.

I think the top two should be between Janel and Alfonso.

MDNA
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MDNA »

whatsabeautyguru wrote:
MDNA wrote:Something is off with Derek this season, I really don't get why he didnt give her harder routines, she never messes up, doesnt make mistakes or forgets the dance, unlike the other girls, I don't get why he hasn't pushed her harder,I expected especially in the last weeks of the show they'd come up with something amazing, but nah. Their best dances were the paso, salsa(ricky and lucy) and the singing in the rain one. The rest is forgetable.
I've been wondering the same thing. Derek normally pushes his partners to be the best. But each week with Bethany, I'm fucking bored, even though they don't technically make mistakes.
They're not doing anything amazing. They're just getting by. It's frustrating.

Even if I don't like Bethany all that much, she deserves more quite honestly. He's giving her nothing!
Couldn't agree more. He had a partner in the past who had no legs, one who was overweight and those had more challenging and energetic routines than Bethany. I highly doubt Beth can't move at least as fast as freaking Amber Riley.
Next week they're doing freestyle and the judge's choice. Hopefully Derek steps up his game at least for the finals, tho it's a bit late now. Also hope they'll get better songs, they've been given boring ass songs through the whole season.

pink123
Lurker
Lurker

Post by pink123 »

Derek mentioned that he was careful on giving Bethany harder routines at first because on week 1 her ankle got injured.
That, and he thought Bethany didn't have the "attack". He started pushing it a bit further when he saw Mark and Bethany's number on the "switch up" episode.

I don't know much about technicality but I enjoyed their samba and contemporary tonight. I thought the samba was entertaining and the contemporary couldn't be more beautiful.

Glad they got to the finals.

lipstick jungle

Post by lipstick jungle »

Here's the interview ( bullying once more. Her parents look REALLY cool. Not sure if her father is not morphing into show-business's typical dad, already :D )

[youtube][/youtube]

Beth's dances:
She IS improving, but dear Jesus, that was a SAMBA? Derek was the one making her waist move and all. Plus, always so many props.
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

This is the tango some were talking about

[youtube][/youtube]

Sadie ( which I thought was AWFUL in the routine)

[youtube][/youtube]

MDNA
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MDNA »

Yes, Sadie was underscored through the season, but damnit, she really is NOT that good. She keeps messing up, she messed up during the Argentine Tango in the beginning quite a few times. EVERYONE's throwing their votes at her because she's just such a "sweet girl" and she's apparently getting underscored all the time, but all the love for her is just making me nauseous now.

Cheshire_Cat03
Informer
Informer

Post by Cheshire_Cat03 »

That little clip with her parents, wow. I feel bad about before when I said Bethany's bullying wasn't that big of a deal - clearly it really affected her dramatically. It's good that she could get out of that though. Small towns and bullying are the worst because many only have very few schools. I do think it was silly to include Michelle Phan though. I don't know if Bethany has many youtube friends but they could've picked somebody more her age/laid back to step in, more like the first fellow who spoke. (Not sure if he's a Youtuber or not - he just seemed more relatable friend wise, if that makes sense)

With her dances it is extremely annoying how Derek isn't giving her room to try something new. Her dances may have different outfits, songs, apparent categories, but they all either have easy to follow moves, Derek guidin her the whole time, or a mix of the two. Yeah she hurt her ankle the second week, she's probably stronger/more capable now. I wonder how she even hurt her ankle.

I think her facial expressions are getting better. They still aren't the best, but she's conscious of them and making an effort to smile/act shocked/surprised and that's nice. I thought her first dance was adorable and I enjoyed it, the second dance was lovely too, I thought Janel's dance was amazing and Sadie's was... Eh. I don't know what Mark (that's her partner right?) was trying to do there, but Sadie was not feeling it. She seemed to be moving way to slow and overall the routine was boring. :/

pink123
Lurker
Lurker

Post by pink123 »

Having Michelle Phan in that video was so unnecessary. Ugh.

IslandDreamer
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by IslandDreamer »

I also hope Alfonso wins or even Janel, they at least have been challenging themselves more than Bethany.

On another note:

The whole clip with her parents was just a strategy to get people to feel sorry (or I don't know what else) for her and give her their vote. I get she was bullied but I have a feeling they're exaggerating for the sake of profit. People that don't watch youtube just know her as that bullied kid that does videos and is on DWTS.

While I don't doubt she was bullied, if it was as bad as they portray I don't really believe she would have started making videos and putting them on the internet for the world to see (including the kids that bullied her). While I get they want to make her an inspirational story, they have repeated it so much it might as well be part of her youtube name. Instead of milking her story for all its worth (and only when convenient) she should be more active with organizations against bullying. She can write it on the memoir I'm sure her managing company will make her do (it's basically standard etiquette by now) but she should stop talking about it on every turn.

PS: the only thing that "sets her apart" from other youtubers is that she acts like a 12 year old and tweens/teens apparently adore that.It's the same with missglamorazzi (or something).

TL:DR = While it's awesome she overcame bullying (I'm serious) she should stop using it as a way to get people to pity her and their gain favor.

PSS: English is not my first language so my choice of words might seem odd, I apologize if anything gets "lost in translation"

MDNA
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MDNA »

Choreography wise, this was not Derek's best season. I'm really hoping they'll do something more upbeat and fun for the freestyle number instead of another slow boring romantic dance, but I'm not holding my breath that's gonna happen.

RachelChristina
Informer
Informer

Post by RachelChristina »

She has such a energetic personality on the internet I'm surprised she isn't acting like that on TV especially now since she has been on the show for awhile so she should be more comfortable on TV. Sometimes I wonder if she envies Sadie a little bit because on the show Sadie has that adorable sweetheart reputation and that is how Beth portrays herself on her videos. However, while on the show Bethany is just calm and kinda "meh" so say the least.

RachelChristina
Informer
Informer

Post by RachelChristina »

She has such a energetic personality on the internet I'm surprised she isn't acting like that on TV especially now since she has been on the show for awhile so she should be more comfortable on TV. Sometimes I wonder if she envies Sadie a little bit because on the show Sadie has that adorable sweetheart reputation and that is how Beth portrays herself on her videos. However, while on the show Bethany is just calm and kinda "meh" to say the least.

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Username »

^ bethany isn't acting like a 12 year old on a sugar high because she is well aware the show's viewers are adults. Duh.

whatsabeautyguru
Debater
Debater

Post by whatsabeautyguru »

I feel like Derek is going to try to either put hip hop into her freestyle or something really emotive. Those are the two things Bethany is best at. I really believe she has a knack for hip hop movements. Buuuut, I don't think he'll do that.

Hopefully, it'll at least be more entertaining?

MDNA
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MDNA »

That's what I've been hoping for, something more entertaining and fun, yet from what I've seen on instagram he's giving her yet another "artistic" performance, looks like another fucking contemporary or slow bullshit dance like that, christ what the hell is wrong with him? everybody else is preparing fun numbers except him. Alfonso is doing the tap dance, Val is bringing in 7 other pro's and Mark apparently preparing something really fun and totally wow to an iconic song, he brought people from the Step Up movies so he'll likely have hip-hop in their freestyle.
We don't know exactly what they'll be doing as there's only a photo and a small clip where derek holds her upside down wiping the floor with her hair lol, I'm still holding out hope.

Cheshire_Cat03
Informer
Informer

Post by Cheshire_Cat03 »

Maybe Derek is trying to appeal to the fans who "ship" them? Lmao.

But really, what's up with him? Does he think that poorly of Beth? I'm sure she can handle more enthusiastic dances. She did just fine with Mark, she doesn't need to be babied with these slow dances (not saying those are easy peasy, but they are not as challenging as they could be!

Return to “Macbarbie07 / Bethany Mota”