blueraindrops
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Safiya Nygaard: FrankenTuber sponsored by Wish - Part 3

Post by blueraindrops »

aziza wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:30 am
i have chronic illness and i go to uni full-time, have a part-time job as barista, have my own radio show and edit the uni newspaper. my weight (very healthy) has also been consistent over the years, i've maybe gained a couple of kg here and there, despite me being physically unable to exercise, so i wouldn't be so quick to assume that not uploading and gaining weight are consequences of a chronic disease. the stigma "people with (invisible or visible) disabilities have no life and are all depressed and heavy weights" is very common among people who don't suffer from these diseases, but often not true. not all chronic diseases are the same - some people are bed bound and others, like me, are still able to do most things despite being in pain 24/7. it's really up to each individual body. i agree with all of you who've said that safiya probably doesn't have the best lifestyle and that being a yt hasn't helped her develop healthy habits. i actually feel sad for her
Yeah exactly. I girl I know in uni has a chronic illness and she's killing the game rn. Just because someone puts on weight and gets engaged doesn't mean they have an illness or are pregnant, I have no idea how people are jumping to that conclusion lmao

aziza
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by aziza »

blueraindrops wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:35 pm
aziza wrote:
i have chronic illness and i go to uni full-time, have a part-time job as barista, have my own radio show and edit the uni newspaper. my weight (very healthy) has also been consistent over the years, i've maybe gained a couple of kg here and there, despite me being physically unable to exercise, so i wouldn't be so quick to assume that not uploading and gaining weight are consequences of a chronic disease. the stigma "people with (invisible or visible) disabilities have no life and are all depressed and heavy weights" is very common among people who don't suffer from these diseases, but often not true. not all chronic diseases are the same - some people are bed bound and others, like me, are still able to do most things despite being in pain 24/7. it's really up to each individual body. i agree with all of you who've said that safiya probably doesn't have the best lifestyle and that being a yt hasn't helped her develop healthy habits. i actually feel sad for her
Yeah exactly. I girl I know in uni has a chronic illness and she's killing the game rn. Just because someone puts on weight and gets engaged doesn't mean they have an illness or are pregnant, I have no idea how people are jumping to that conclusion lmao
literally lmao i was so confused when i read people's comments! i'm sure they weren't trying to be malicious but us people with disabilities/chronic illnesses go through so much shit when it comes to stigmas. i've been told that i don't look sick enough to pull out of events or get extra time on some uni assignments and it suuucks. some people are lazy for other reasons, or simply because they just /are/. people can get carried away when speculating about gurus but often it's really not that deep

aziza
Learner
Learner

Post by aziza »

HoardganizedJen wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:10 pm
aziza wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 pm
blueraindrops wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:35 pm
aziza wrote:
literally lmao i was so confused when i read people's comments! i'm sure they weren't trying to be malicious but us people with disabilities/chronic illnesses go through so much shit when it comes to stigmas. i've been told that i don't look sick enough to pull out of events or get extra time on some uni assignments and it suuucks. some people are lazy for other reasons, or simply because they just /are/. people can get carried away when speculating about gurus but often it's really not that deep
It goes both ways with not being that deep. People are more than welcome to share wacky opinions on Safiya's weight gain here. Nothing said has broken forum rules.
didn't say they did though, did i? i just pointed out that we should be careful with saying certain things that might (involuntarily) reinforce certain stigmas and beliefs that can hurt certain people who are more vulnerable than others. i'm all for criticising youtubers and speculating, i just think sometimes people can get a bit carried away. i think those who suffer from certain disabilities/health conditions should have a right to say whether people should be more careful when addressing certain topics, even if it's in a gossip forum. the pregnancy speculations? fair. wrong lifestyle? fair. just laziness? fair. as someone who has a chronic condition, i just don't think diagnosing someone with it just because they've gained weight and have gotten lazy is even comparable to the other speculations. i think i should be entitled to my own opinion even if people don't violate forum rules. i'm cool with bringing the topic back to safiya, just wanting to put in my two cents (and maybe someone who might not have considered some of the things i have said might end up agreeing with me or understanding my point of view)

Nobody diagnosed anything, they shared an opinion like you but they actually did so without writing multiple personal, off-topic anecdotes. I think it's great you want to raise awareness about misconceptions surrounding chronic illness but this isn't the forum for that. Please stay on topic moving forward. - Mod (HJ)

Porkchop88
Learner
Learner

Post by Porkchop88 »

I definitely don’t think she’s pregnant (since she specifically said she’s not). But I’m not so quick to brush off that with such a sudden drop off of her channel, some weight gain, and the proposal around the same time that something caused this, whether it was her, Tyler, their family, or something else. Perhaps she’s just burned out. It just seems strange because she’s always seemed ambitious and active.

blueraindrops
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by blueraindrops »

Porkchop88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:10 pm
I definitely don’t think she’s pregnant (since she specifically said she’s not). But I’m not so quick to brush off that with such a sudden drop off of her channel, some weight gain, and the proposal around the same time that something caused this, whether it was her, Tyler, their family, or something else. Perhaps she’s just burned out. It just seems strange because she’s always seemed ambitious and active.
It really looks like a classic case of depression. She won't ever be open about it, and we shouldn't expect her to, because she never opens up about her life, although I really think she should. She is way more likable than bunny, who's place she took on YT. It wasn't very long before Bunny's "does this thing really work series" got old and boring. Wish isn't a hot new thing anymore - we all know it sucks (although funnily enough, I've been pleased with everything I ordered lmao).

Saf is basically that girl who peaked in HS. She's still getting millions of views, but her formula won't last forever. Someone else will take over her role on YT and she'll become irrelevant again. It's not like she really needs YouTube though. I'm positive her and Tyler have amassed enough wealth to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. Seeing as they went to Stanford, I can't imagine this is how they thought they'd be living their life.

And I truly don't see how their engagement is weird timing. Idk why people keep saying that. They've been together for years, marriage is the logical next step.

bagelslut
Informer
Informer

Post by bagelslut »

I feel sad for her, but I also really don't. if you want to call youtube your job, then treat it like a job. The biggest perk of being a youtuber is being able to schedule yourself... you don't have to report to work 5 days a week, so it's up to you to be responsible with your time management. i know that's a tricky situation that a lot of youtubers fall victim to, but it's true. where is her time going to? she puts out 1-2 videos a month on average, and none of them are huge projects that would require nonstop work. it also seems like she doesn't have much of a social life- so if she's not filming, she can't be doing anything other than laying around her home. perhaps she's depressed? there are hundreds of creators on YT that post way more regularly and also keep up with their homes, family, hobbies, health and friends. if it's not an illness or depression, then it's 100% laziness and that's all on her.
Image ^^ for those who ask- video name is "my trip to the gynecologist" :love2: ^^

Illogic_ally
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Illogic_ally »

blueraindrops wrote:
Porkchop88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:10 pm
It really looks like a classic case of depression. She won't ever be open about it, and we shouldn't expect her to, because she never opens up about her life, although I really think she should. She is way more likable than bunny, who's place she took on YT. It wasn't very long before Bunny's "does this thing really work series" got old and boring. Wish isn't a hot new thing anymore - we all know it sucks (although funnily enough, I've been pleased with everything I ordered lmao).

Saf is basically that girl who peaked in HS. She's still getting millions of views, but her formula won't last forever. Someone else will take over her role on YT and she'll become irrelevant again. It's not like she really needs YouTube though. I'm positive her and Tyler have amassed enough wealth to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. Seeing as they went to Stanford, I can't imagine this is how they thought they'd be living their life.

And I truly don't see how their engagement is weird timing. Idk why people keep saying that. They've been together for years, marriage is the logical next step.
I agree with the marriage thing, it’s not at all strange or sudden. They’re a long term couple, in their mid-late 20’s, who live together, it’s literally the most normal thing for them to be getting married. Hell, even if they announced that they’d eloped it still wouldn’t be that weird or sudden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whydoicare67
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by whydoicare67 »

In regards to the engagement, I agree with everyone who says it's not strange in terms of their relationship progression, age, etc. I am guessing what most people mean is that a lot of things happened at the same time (and therefore it seems...strange) and that would be all the things we've talked about: weight gain, lazy content morphing into no content, apparent depression, losing their staff? And then in that mix, they get engaged but it doesn't seem to make anything better or different,necessarily, from our viewpoint. I might be wrong, but that is my impression about why people think it is "strange" they got engaged when they did.

blueraindrops
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by blueraindrops »

whydoicare67 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 pm
In regards to the engagement, I agree with everyone who says it's not strange in terms of their relationship progression, age, etc. I am guessing what most people mean is that a lot of things happened at the same time (and therefore it seems...strange) and that would be all the things we've talked about: weight gain, lazy content morphing into no content, apparent depression, losing their staff? And then in that mix, they get engaged but it doesn't seem to make anything better or different,necessarily, from our viewpoint. I might be wrong, but that is my impression about why people think it is "strange" they got engaged when they did.
Idk dude, the engagement still seems very normal to me. A lot of people suffer from mental health issues and a slump in work ethic, doesn't mean its weird for people who have been in a relationship for over 5 years to get married. Maybe it seems weird to all of you but it obviously felt like the right time for them. The only weird thing about it is Saf has only made one half-assed wedding video.

duhunicorn
Learner
Learner

Post by duhunicorn »

it seems like a lot of youtubers turn into weirdo shut ins who never leave the house and thus lose touch w/ reality, i remember in one of the ugly clothing try on vids ages ago saf met up with one of her friends at a coffee shop and asked his opinion on her clear jeans or whatever and it was totally normal and chill and in other vids they would thrift shop with their friends but now i find it weirdly hard to imagine her with friends. the same has happened to jenna and bunny where sometimes people show up and it's like "oh you have friends? good because i can't imagine you functioning in the real world." it'd be cool if saf collab'd with someone in a "fun" way again, like a shopping vid, and not in a "i am reaching out to you because you are an expert in doing asmr underwater" way.

i think the weight gain or whatever is just normal for someone getting older in general - metabolism slowing down etc - and someone who probably used to go to the gym before or at least live a semi-active lifestyle and now just stays locked up in her house peering through the blinds waiting for her wish parcels to arrive so she can octopus walk at the grove/beach/disneyland/in front of her apartment building while her equally slothish boyfriend films. all that said i personally think weight gain is nbd it's not like she's about to sign up for tlc's my 500lb frankentuber life.

aziza
Learner
Learner

Post by aziza »

agreed with everything said above. i think she’s simply in a big rut. maybe when she left buzzfeed she was excited to have the independence that comes with being a solo youtuber but quickly realised how harder it is to manage yourself and not having deadlines imposed on you. youtube simply isn’t for everyone. i also think family youtubers or youtubers with order jobs or their own brand manage their time well because that’s their only choice. not doing work when you need to means you don’t get those coins, it’s that simple. in my experience, i find that working part-time when i’m in university has helped me too, because if i don’t study when i have to it’s automatic that i’ll get bad grades. doing youtuber full-time and nothing else makes you more likely to slack. the same happened to emma chamberlain last year and early this year (altho she seems to have kind of gotten out of it, at least a bit): when she had school she was posting consistently 2/3 times a week, and when she moved to la to become a full-timer she started disappearing and uploading irregularly. i guess when yt is your only source of income you feel like it’s much more of a responsibility rather than something that you enjoy outside of your routine. it kinda pisses me off because it’s such easy money and honestly if you’re a big channel even the lowest effort videos will get you views and money. i guess you can’t have it all lol

Safiya Nygaard: FrankenTuber sponsored by Wish - Part 3

Post by Guest »

How many times are we going to hear this excuse? If she actually was filming as much as she claimed, she would have plenty of content to upload more than once a month and it wouldn’t matter if things “fell through” because she would have her supposed prerecorded videos to upload. So sick of her BS and nonexistent uploads.

Raven_nevermore
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Raven_nevermore »

Am I the only one who doesn’t think she gained that much weight? I watched her why I left buzzfeed video from two years ago and she looks nearly the same. It’s not like she is chubby now

blueraindrops
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by blueraindrops »

Raven_nevermore wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:53 pm
Am I the only one who doesn’t think she gained that much weight? I watched her why I left buzzfeed video from two years ago and she looks nearly the same. It’s not like she is chubby now
Considering her weight gain has been a big point of discussion here, you might be alone on that. She's not obese by any means but she's not lean and willowy like she was on Buzzfeed. Hell, there is a huge difference from now to approximately one year ago.

Cheryl Blossom
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Cheryl Blossom »

Working at Buzzfeed, 2016

ImageImage

Start of her own channel, 2017

April 2018

ImageImage

pepesylvia
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by pepesylvia »

god she was SO pretty in 2016. she looks tragic now compared to that.

I also don't think she gained that much weight, it looks like it could be easily lost if she just put a little bit of effort into it, but her hair and outfits make her look 10x worse

Cheryl Blossom
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Cheryl Blossom »

I’m not sure how basically the same hair length she has now looked so much better on her in the past. It just looks so greasy and flat now.

blueraindrops
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by blueraindrops »

Cheryl Blossom wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:40 pm
I’m not sure how basically the same hair length she has now looked so much better on her in the past. It just looks so greasy and flat now.

Yeah, wtf? I also don't understand how her hair went from being really pretty to.. what it is now. And she's never styled her hair, but for some reason it looked way better. I blame her diet and hygiene habits for this in all honesty. And to the other poster, yeah, she hasn't gained a crazy amount of weight, but boy with her clothing choices and haircut it sure looks like it.

bluelemonwater
Talker
Talker

Post by bluelemonwater »

regarding hair i think we can thank what the name of that youtuber that does "hairdresser reacts" videos

milanese15
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by milanese15 »

I think her weight gain goes more to one area (hips/torso), so people who gain that way tend to be able to hide it a little more than people who gain mostly in their upper or lower body. But when she wears things that are tight in the torso, you can see that she's definitely put on weight, especially because despite that being her problem area, it does show up in her face. I also think, though, that she seems like someone who isn't naturally very thin, so imo when she was working at Buzzfeed and on the go all the time, it was helping to control her weight a little more. Some people just gain weight more easily than others, so a big change in lifestyle will cause changes more noticeably and faster. Like for me, I'll stop working out for 6 months and not eat that well, and my weight doesn't budge much. But for my sister, her diet relaxes for 2 weeks, and she's up 5 pounds. I don't think Safiya is naturally thin, so she probably is more affected by the drastic change in lifestyle.

Return to “Safiya Nygaard”