Safiya Nygaard

Cheryl Blossom
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Safiya Nygaard

Post by Cheryl Blossom »

I couldn't find a thread for her, forgive me if one exists already.

I feel like she's getting so repetitive with the period-themed videos. Who would ever truly wear the period leggings or yoga pants? Even if your period is light enough for that, no one wants to wear a diaper around, seriously. If she insists on doing a monthly period video she could cover topics that are actually interesting or relevant...

I do like the "Franken-lipstick" type videos though.

P.S., what does Tyler even do? Is his job just being her cameraman?

too_curious
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Re: Safiya Nygaard

Post by too_curious »

Cheryl Blossom wrote:
I feel like she's getting so repetitive with the period-themed videos. Who would ever truly wear the period leggings or yoga pants? Even if your period is light enough for that, no one wants to wear a diaper around, seriously. If she insists on doing a monthly period video she could cover topics that are actually interesting or relevant...

I do like the "Franken-lipstick" type videos though.

P.S., what does Tyler even do? Is his job just being her cameraman?
Exactly, no one wants to be wearing a diaper around. When I'm exercising, I prefer to go commando in my leggings. When I'm on my period, I either have to wear period underwear like Thinx or designated period underwear, a tampon, and/or a pad depending on the flow. It's cumbersome to work out on your period and I would personally like to be able to wear less, so I do appreciate her period videos.

I think Tyler has his own channel and helps Safiya with filming and editing hers. Didn't he also work at BuzzFeed?

LeGarconBleu
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by LeGarconBleu »

Tyler also created an app with two other people called Nextbeat. I've never checked it out personally, but it looks to be a place for people to interact with online audiences. He also worked as an analyst for Disney in the past.

werk
Learner
Learner

Post by werk »

I like Safiya, but I don't find her content as interesting as the work she did with Buzzfeed. Her content is pretty repetitive. I would love to see her tackle something a bit deeper than mixing all of her makeup together or buying stuff from ads. Speaking of Buzzfeed though, did they remove all of the videos she was in? I tried to go back and re-watch some but couldn't find any.

YellowLadybird
Informer
Informer

Post by YellowLadybird »

LeGarconBleu wrote:Tyler also created an app with two other people called Nextbeat. I've never checked it out personally, but it looks to be a place for people to interact with online audiences. He also worked as an analyst for Disney in the past.
Yeah that's why she liveshows on NextBeat and not YouNow because she is promoting his alternative streaming site.

I do like her content personally. It's not deep and world changing, but it's a fun thing to have on and just enjoy whilst I'm getting ready. I appreciate how she treats it like a job (because of Buzzfeed) and actually keeps to a regular upload schedule, plans out her videos and clearly has several on the go at once. She doesn't seem entitled to me and puts in effort for the success she gets.

Citrine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Citrine »

I enjoy Saf (altho I randomly watch some of her videos). I would probably never know or look into period leggings for example so it was interesting that she did a review on them. And I like how thorough her reviews are ..
That being said I do agree, it would be great if she expanded her content to even more interesting things..

Rebelle
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rebelle »

I like her videos even if they are a bit repetitive. I appreciate not only her consistency of uploading, but I how she actually researches them. I'm so sick of YTers that are like, "Uh, I think this is like..um..I don't know. I'll put it in the description below if I can find it, lol!" Then never link it.

LeGarconBleu
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by LeGarconBleu »

Agreed, her research is above and beyond a lot of other YTers. The period stuff, doesn't bother me as much as the "buying outfits _____ suggested" stuff. the first few were interesting, but at the end of the day there's not much to expand on.

ladyandtramplove
Debater
Debater

Post by ladyandtramplove »

i really liked the buying a storage unit video and I hope she does that again. I feel like it gave a real perspective on what doing that is like compared to the partially (or entirely) staged reality tv shows.

Vergie
Talker
Talker

Post by Vergie »

I do usually like her videos, but the whole SHMASH the like button -thing drives me insane.
Sorry, English is not my first language.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

Vergie wrote:I do usually like her videos, but the whole SHMASH the like button -thing drives me insane.
YES. That's one of the most annoying outros I've ever seen on youtube.

I like Saf's videos just fine, although they're mostly just background noise for me. I do appreciate, like many of you, that she actually seems to take her videos seriously and put in a lot of research for them. My favories ones are the "I dressed like it was XXX7" exactly because I think they're well researched and actually manage to sum up the years nicely.

kohlehydrat
Talker
Talker

Post by kohlehydrat »

i like her videos. she has a brain, research abilities and dedication, takes her work seriously but not herself. i don't mind theme repititions because i can see she is not relying on them but is doing them while developing new themes. working virtually on your own it is harder to develop a steady stream of creative innovative content than if you are bouncing around concepts and ideas with other creative minds in a team. but have you seen her views to subscriber ratio? it is consistently very impressive and i think she is smart enough to react if that changes for the worse.

lem0nade
Lurker
Lurker

Post by lem0nade »

I enjoy a lot of her content. She doesn't seem to be the obnoxious, over-the-top kind of Youtuber which I appreciate. Her content may be repetitive but it works if it's a series I enjoy.

Mrs_Robot
Learner
Learner

Post by Mrs_Robot »

Vergie wrote:I do usually like her videos, but the whole SHMASH the like button -thing drives me insane.
THIS!!! omg.. and I've noticed a few other youtubers trying to copy her saying this.. like no.. it's dumb..

but with that said I agree her videos are on the boring side.. it's always period clothes.. clothes from scammy sites like wish.. or mixing makeup up.. I did enjoy the blindfolded videos though..

likefrylikefry
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by likefrylikefry »

A little repetitive. .She over explains A LOT. We're not fucking morons. And the "shmash" thing needs to go. I try to exit out of vids before she says it. My criticisms.

Gwen
Learner
Learner

Post by Gwen »

Her lipstick usually looks nice, but god her eye makeup is terrible. Its really hard listening to her talk about eyes hadow and eyeliner when her winged liner looks so bad

Cheryl Blossom
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Cheryl Blossom »

Gwen wrote:Her lipstick usually looks nice, but god her eye makeup is terrible. Its really hard listening to her talk about eyes hadow and eyeliner when her winged liner looks so bad
Does she not wear mascara? I can never see her lashes.

Her brows often look overdone to me as well. They're too naturally thick for her to fill them in so much. They look extra weird with all her over exaggerated facial expressions.

YellowLadybird
Informer
Informer

Post by YellowLadybird »

Cheryl Blossom wrote:
Gwen wrote:Her lipstick usually looks nice, but god her eye makeup is terrible. Its really hard listening to her talk about eyes hadow and eyeliner when her winged liner looks so bad

Her brows often look overdone to me as well. They're too naturally thick for her to fill them in so much. They look extra weird with all her over exaggerated facial expressions.
She's got those super nice thick south asian brows that don't need filling at all!

I don't quite get why she's so into vibrant makeup but never ever does her nails...

randomName
Learner
Learner

Post by randomName »

Her period product reviews are pretty low on my list of interests and I agree that it's starting to get repetitive, but I find her approach ("testing stuff so you don't have to") interesting enough, because duh! of course they don't work as well as promised. It's a nice change in comparison to youtubers who wouldn't dare say anything negative about a product.
I do sometimes wonder if she's getting the products for free (I don't think American youtubers have to put #ad or #spon in the description?)

I really enjoy her "what we wore" series best: they're the right mixture of information and fun (like fun to watch and she seems to have fun making them!)

Belgian_
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Belgian_ »

Cheryl Blossom wrote:

In a buzzfeed video a While ago, she mentioned that she doesnt like the Way mascara looks on Her and therefore never wears it :|

Return to “Safiya Nygaard”