Gay Youtubers

Idontknow123
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gay Youtubers

Post by Idontknow123 »

Can someone explain why certain youtubers seem obsessed with their sexuality? I get it, you're gay. Why do you need to flaunt it in our faces? I'm straight and I don't make videos solely about my sexuality and why it's great to be straight. Don't get me wrong, I love gay youtubers. I religiously watch Tyler Oakley, Troye Sivan, Matthew Lush, Nick Laws, Ethan Hethcote, Mark Miller, Cameron Elder, ElloSteph, Jamie Pine, Mike Jerry, DaveyWavey, and Bria and Chrissy. Out of all those, I would only define Tyler Oakley and Troye Sivan as youtubers that are gay rather than gay youtubers. I wish more people would realize that they can be youtubers, and one of their characteristics can be that they're gay, rather than being youtubers that are defined by the fact that they're gay.

tiara107
Learner
Learner

Re: Gay Youtubers

Post by tiara107 »

I noticed that when I watched a few of Lush (matthew lush and nick laws) videos. Not only tgat they all centered around sex. Not like educational sex but titles like "I LIKE TO BOTTOM" or "WE JUST HAD SEX" its like, how can you undermind the progress of gays in general with this stereotypical nonsense? I can respect people like Tyler Oakley who is gay and proud, but it doesnt define him and his success. If a straight youtuber went on and on about be straight every video, it wouldve gotten so much hate.

Idontknow123
Learner
Learner

Post by Idontknow123 »

I actually don't mind when things are centered around sex. It's one thing to be a sexual person and express that in your videos. It's completely different to be defined by your sexuality and how sexual you are. I feel like Matt and Nick are defined by their sexuality, but not how sexual they are. That's just one of their characteristics, and personally, I don't mind.

ExLenne
Learner
Learner

Post by ExLenne »

Thanks for telling gay people who to be gay properly. I'll be sure to take the notes and work on being a better gay in the future. I wouldn't want people to think my sexuality defines who I am. After all, my sexuality is all that straight people define me by, I wouldn't want to take that away from them.

Idontknow123
Learner
Learner

Post by Idontknow123 »

ExLenne wrote:Thanks for telling gay people who to be gay properly. I'll be sure to take the notes and work on being a better gay in the future. I wouldn't want people to think my sexuality defines who I am. After all, my sexuality is all that straight people define me by, I wouldn't want to take that away from them.
I'm straight and I don't define a gay person by their sexuality. I have friends that are gay, and they're just my friends, who happen to be gay. I'm not saying don't be yourself, if you happen to have a stereotypically gay personality. I just think if you are gay, you shouldn't make videos revolving around that one fact.

ExLenne
Learner
Learner

Post by ExLenne »

And I'm just saying ... if you can't see the problem with a straight person telling a gay person NOT TO TALK ABOUT BEJNG WHO THEY ARE ... then you're no friend or ally to any gay people. Acceptance isn't conditional to what does and doesn't make you uncomfortable.

Do you know why straight people don't make videos about being straight? (Ignoring the fact that they often do make videos solely about their sexual orientation, such as dating topics about the opposite sex - the kind of topic that comes up often in every vlog channel I've ever watched, that you're choosing to ignore or classify differently....)

Because being gay makes you different, it makes your life and experiences different. It shouldn't. But it does. You're bombarded with heteronormativity as the ideal, you're judged and discriminated against and this life experience FORCES being gay as an identity onto you. And there is a lot to say about it and it becomes a comfortable topic because you're forced to be an expert on it because every day you have to defend your very right to exist.

I'm so happy that gay people don't make you recoil in horror.

But don't call yourself an ally if that's conditional.

What you've said about people discussing their being straight is basically Ally 101. You don't do it.

Which makes it seem to me you should spend more time watching these videos and less time criticizing them, since you clearly have a lot to learn about what it means to be gay and why visibility and identity is important.

whatsername_
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by whatsername_ »

Someone took this topic a little personally.

Don't sweat it. Most people understand what you meant without taking offense.

Idontknow123
Learner
Learner

Re: Gay Youtuber

Post by Idontknow123 »

ExLenne wrote:And I'm just saying ... if you can't see the problem with a straight person telling a gay person NOT TO TALK ABOUT BEJNG WHO THEY ARE ... then you're no friend or ally to any gay people. Acceptance isn't conditional to what does and doesn't make you uncomfortable.

Do you know why straight people don't make videos about being straight? (Ignoring the fact that they often do make videos solely about their sexual orientation, such as dating topics about the opposite sex - the kind of topic that comes up often in every vlog channel I've ever watched, that you're choosing to ignore or classify differently....)

Because being gay makes you different, it makes your life and experiences different. It shouldn't. But it does. You're bombarded with heteronormativity as the ideal, you're judged and discriminated against and this life experience FORCES being gay as an identity onto you. And there is a lot to say about it and it becomes a comfortable topic because you're forced to be an expert on it because every day you have to defend your very right to exist.

I'm so happy that gay people don't make you recoil in horror.

But don't call yourself an ally if that's conditional.

What you've said about people discussing their being straight is basically Ally 101. You don't do it.

Which makes it seem to me you should spend more time watching these videos and less time criticizing them, since you clearly have a lot to learn about what it means to be gay and why visibility and identity is important.

Did you not read the giagantic list of gay youtubers (not youtubers that are gay) that I watch above? I do watch these videos made solely about being gay. I don't mind them, I just wish they would make less videos like those. As far as speaking about dating or speaking about peoples of the same gender, I don't mind. That's part of being a youtuber that is gay. Like I said, I'm not trying to tell people to pretend they're not gay, I'm just saying don't make videos solely based on that one point. It's also fine to make a gay couple channel. Straight people make them, so so can gays.

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

If your username is 'Gaygod' then what to expect :D

but I get what are you saying. I watch Lush and they are really over the top but I still like them. But if I see another sex related video name, I skip it. Tbh I feel like Nick isn't that into it,without Matt he prbably be like Troye
ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE. Sorry for misunderstandings!

People should read everything, not the first 5 words and judge!

Idontknow123
Learner
Learner

Post by Idontknow123 »

ggeyeliner wrote:If your username is 'Gaygod' then what to expect :D

but I get what are you saying. I watch Lush and they are really over the top but I still like them. But if I see another sex related video name, I skip it. Tbh I feel like Nick isn't that into it,without Matt he prbably be like Troye
Don't really mind lush that much because personally, I don't care if they're sexual people. But matts channel (which I do watch religiously) is filled with videos like, "gay horror story" or "gay vs lesbian sex," etc.

tiara107
Learner
Learner

Post by tiara107 »

Exactly. I have nothing against sexual people, because I am one of those lol. I just think it's a bit much when you can see that they are doing it to grab views (ala Shane Dawson). Like I said, I admire those who are proud but it doesn't define their existence or they dont use being gay as an exploitation device to get more money on youtube. Nick is clearly just playing a part and he def seems to rather be private.

Idontknow123
Learner
Learner

Post by Idontknow123 »

tiara107 wrote:Exactly. I have nothing against sexual people, because I am one of those lol. I just think it's a bit much when you can see that they are doing it to grab views (ala Shane Dawson). Like I said, I admire those who are proud but it doesn't define their existence or they dont use being gay as an exploitation device to get more money on youtube. Nick is clearly just playing a part and he def seems to rather be private.
Don't even get me started on Shane and his misleading titles...I could rant about it for hours. I do think Nick was really private in the beginning, but that's understandable, considering that he wasn't a youtuber prior to Matt. I've noticed that he's become a lot more open and seems to be having a lot more fun on camera. I know he's pretty private about his life outside of Matt, but has become very open when it comes to his relationship. Unlike Matt, who I feel like shares every aspect of his life with the world, Nick keeps a lot of it private.
I don't think Nick's "playing a part," though. His personality hasn't changed since he started youtube. I highly doubt that he's playing a character on three channels, in all their friend's vlogs, instagram, twitter, etc.

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

I also wanted to add that Superfuit Mitch and Scott are also very cool. They mention gay things alot but in the annoying way
ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE. Sorry for misunderstandings!

People should read everything, not the first 5 words and judge!

dreammuffin
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dreammuffin »

Idontknow123 wrote:Can someone explain why certain youtubers seem obsessed with their sexuality? I get it, you're gay. Why do you need to flaunt it in our faces? I'm straight and I don't make videos solely about my sexuality and why it's great to be straight. Don't get me wrong, I love gay youtubers. I religiously watch Tyler Oakley, Troye Sivan, Matthew Lush, Nick Laws, Ethan Hethcote, Mark Miller, Cameron Elder, ElloSteph, Jamie Pine, Mike Jerry, DaveyWavey, and Bria and Chrissy. Out of all those, I would only define Tyler Oakley and Troye Sivan as youtubers that are gay rather than gay youtubers. I wish more people would realize that they can be youtubers, and one of their characteristics can be that they're gay, rather than being youtubers that are defined by the fact that they're gay.

I was going to say "If you don't like it don't watch it" but then I reread it and I realized you DO like them and want to know why. I think it has more to do with how heteronormative our society and culture is: perhaps gay youtubers that celebrate their love-lives and sexuality become more popular because they fill a vacuum, if you get my drift.

Idontknow123
Learner
Learner

Post by Idontknow123 »

dreammuffin wrote:
Idontknow123 wrote:Can someone explain why certain youtubers seem obsessed with their sexuality? I get it, you're gay. Why do you need to flaunt it in our faces? I'm straight and I don't make videos solely about my sexuality and why it's great to be straight. Don't get me wrong, I love gay youtubers. I religiously watch Tyler Oakley, Troye Sivan, Matthew Lush, Nick Laws, Ethan Hethcote, Mark Miller, Cameron Elder, ElloSteph, Jamie Pine, Mike Jerry, DaveyWavey, and Bria and Chrissy. Out of all those, I would only define Tyler Oakley and Troye Sivan as youtubers that are gay rather than gay youtubers. I wish more people would realize that they can be youtubers, and one of their characteristics can be that they're gay, rather than being youtubers that are defined by the fact that they're gay.

I was going to say "If you don't like it don't watch it" but then I reread it and I realized you DO like them and want to know why. I think it has more to do with how heteronormative our society and culture is: perhaps gay youtubers that celebrate their love-lives and sexuality become more popular because they fill a vacuum, if you get my drift.
I like their personalities, no matter how much they shove their sexuality in my face. Of course, I would like them a lot better if they didn't...
But I get what you're saying. It's the same thing with youtube couples. People in the comments are always like, "forever alone" and "relationship goals..." People watch videos to see things that they don't experience in their regular life.

obiwan
Talker
Talker

Post by obiwan »

do Bria and chrissy/ lesbian love have a thread? I think it would be helpful with everything thats happening with them!

felucca
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by felucca »

Funny how this thread has been here since 2014 and yet no one's stated the simple fact that SEX SELLS.

Loooots of straight youtubers are also using sex to sell by the way. Especially among the gamers. You really don't have to look very hard for it.

It's like with everything else in life - some people will try to be classy about what they do, others don't give a fuck. All people, not just the gays. :roll:
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

Himi
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Himi »

Idontknow123 wrote:Can someone explain why certain youtubers seem obsessed with their sexuality? I get it, you're gay. Why do you need to flaunt it in our faces? I'm straight and I don't make videos solely about my sexuality and why it's great to be straight.
Okay this way of thinking needs to die out. You're straight, meaning you're part of the majority, meaning you're not oppressed because you're straight and you never will.You don't need to make a video explaining how great it is to be straight because fucking everyone knows, straight people are everywhere all the time and perceived as the norm.It's easy to forget depending on who you hang out with but even now a lot of non-straight people face harassment, exclusion, depression that can leads to suicide because of their sexuality.
You may think those youtubers use their sexuality to attract viewers and it's true, do you know why it sells ? Because there's a crucial need for representation.Include queer people in mainstream media,erase homophobia and you'll see those youtubers' content will die out. Until this day, you and your straightness need to watch something else and stop complaining.

Edit: Yeah I know this thread is old but I'm saying it in case other people on here think the same.
manged wrote:I pledge to continue to talk shit about YTers under an anonymous account on here. #NicerInternet

Stagger
Learner
Learner

Post by Stagger »

I think some gay people just over-compensate for their 'shame' before coming out and they feel happy being proud and being able to openly talk about sex. There are straight people who flaunt it too, everyone talks about their relationships and sexuality them being gay is probably just something you aren't interested in so it seems foreign. There are some flamboyant YouTubers but then there are plenty more that are gay and don't make it so obvious. I kinda wish Joey wouldn't be so over the top but that's just him showing he's proud and happy to be out. You do you and let them do them.

fuzzyears
Learner
Learner

Post by fuzzyears »

I don't watch a lot of the couples but I love watching Callum McSwiggan and Rolyungashaa. What does everyone think of them?

Return to “General and Miscellaneous”