Maid of Honor/Bride Maid help

Brooke.
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Maid of Honor/Bride Maid help

Post by Brooke. » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Hey girls! So in November or January 2014 I'm going to be the maid of honor at my best friends' wedding. We're both very young and live far away from each other. How can I be the best maid of honor possible? She's my best friend and I do not want to let her down. What are all of my duties? What would be a good wedding gift for someone on a budget? And I want to drop a few dress sizes so I need help on that too if you have tips!

Please keep in mind that I am young therefore I can't spend a lot on a gift. I thought about getting a basket and putting like a blender (an inside joke :p) towels, and a few gift cards. How is that? If you're married please describe the perfect maid of honor! Please and thanks! <3

And happy New Year!

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Re: Maid of Honor/Bride Maid help

Post by nothinggold » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Towels are always useful! Macy's typically has awesome sales on the weekends and I've picked up some really nice wedding gifts there on sale. Another really nice gift to get is Tiffany's stemware. Grab a couple glasses and go to Trader Joes or Whole foods and pick some local wine up. That's another nice gift.
Just be supportive In the wedding process and craziness. Be there for late night panicked calls or a shoulder to cry on.
Yeezy Taught Me

guestgue

Post by guestgue » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 pm

I've been in two weddings, in which I was the maid of honor in one.

I'd say to see what's on her registry and see what she's really wanting. You can always go for something more personal (like if she and the husband to be are wine drinkers, a bottle of their favorite, or something new to try) but going off of her registry is always a safe route to go.

As for duties, as nothinggold said, be supportive! Even if she becomes a bit of a 'zilla try to be understanding that she's just trying to make things go smoothly. THis doesn't mean letting her walk all over you, but understand that she will be more stressed than normal.

My other advice is to coordinate with the other maids to plain a great Bachelorette party for her. If the bride isn't a drinker- DON'T go barhopping. If she's more modest, she's probably NOT going to enjoy that male strip club. Keep her interests in mind. If she likes hiking, plan a weekend at a cabin. Comedy fan? Hit up a club. Things like that.
Both of the Bachelorette parties I went to were more low key. And I know for certain that both brides would have been embarrassed and miserable at any kind of sex toy party or strip club. Remember it's not a party to get wild, it's a party to celebrate her upcoming wedding.

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:38 pm

guestgue wrote:I've been in two weddings, in which I was the maid of honor in one.

I'd say to see what's on her registry and see what she's really wanting. You can always go for something more personal (like if she and the husband to be are wine drinkers, a bottle of their favorite, or something new to try) but going off of her registry is always a safe route to go.

As for duties, as nothinggold said, be supportive! Even if she becomes a bit of a 'zilla try to be understanding that she's just trying to make things go smoothly. THis doesn't mean letting her walk all over you, but understand that she will be more stressed than normal.

My other advice is to coordinate with the other maids to plain a great Bachelorette party for her. If the bride isn't a drinker- DON'T go barhopping. If she's more modest, she's probably NOT going to enjoy that male strip club. Keep her interests in mind. If she likes hiking, plan a weekend at a cabin. Comedy fan? Hit up a club. Things like that.
Both of the Bachelorette parties I went to were more low key. And I know for certain that both brides would have been embarrassed and miserable at any kind of sex toy party or strip club. Remember it's not a party to get wild, it's a party to celebrate her upcoming wedding.
I agree on the Bachelorette party. I know personally, I would not enjoy a strip club or a sexy themed party. Even if it seems typical to go out and drink or wave dildos around, don't if she isn't into that. Do something she would enjoy and try to do most if not all the planning for it if she's going nuts with the wedding. Find out what she wants and make it happen!
Yeezy Taught Me

Brooke.
Debater
Debater

Post by Brooke. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks so much girls!! This helped immensely. We live an hour and a half away so it's hard. Also, she or the groom won't be old enough to drink. Haha yes, they are that young!

Return to “Wedding”