Tips for getting married abroad

Burning_Benches
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tips for getting married abroad

Post by Burning_Benches »

Generally getting married abroad is loads cheaper. I used to be a wedding photographer in Spain so I’ve had a load of experience helping other people. Have you at least narrowed it down to a country? I’d search locations on Instagram and try and fall in love with somewhere first before you decide anything else!

Burning_Benches
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Burning_Benches »

Sorry for the double post - but look at the currencies around as well (cheeky). That means you can choose somewhere your money will go further with the exchange rate! But be aware of the legalities about getting married abroad. Some places it’s easy - so many places are SO difficult so you might have to get married at home and have a blessing abroad.

mangowarfare
Learner
Learner

Post by mangowarfare »

Hi, American expat here. I live in Scandinavia in my husbands country. We had a destination wedding in Ireland because it was closest to my family in the US and not too far from my husbands family. So everyone had to travel! It was also nice because I got to cut down my guest list to the very essential people with a few friends. Some family couldn't come due to age or young children, which was to be expected.

I always wanted to get married in the Newport Mansions of Rhode Island, but I knew I would never have that kind of money nor would I know that many people! But when planning my wedding this way, I ended up having a beautiful serviced dinner in a Georgian castle. I even had my ceremony outdoors, and it didn't rain! Lucky me!

My advice is to get a wedding planner in that country, Mine cost about 1,600 euros. That did not include the additional cost of having her present that day. The castle turned hotel had a wedding manager on staff, but I was so laid back I didn't ask for anything. They kept saying how calm I was they ended up giving my husband and I both nights free. I also let them keep all the flowers.

I was also able to cut corners a bit with an expensive photographer by using my cousin, who was a professional. I also did my own hair and make up. Message me if you want more details about potential costs. I don't want to list them all here.

If I am honest, there are probably a few things I didn't think of or would have wanted to do a bit differently, but overall, it worked out wonderfully. Plus, my husband and I now have a beautiful place to retreat to on our anniversaries. Which I think is something you should seriously consider when looking for a destination.

Other tips: have an off season and weekday wedding, consider how transportation will work for your guests and whats in the area of your interest, keep in mind luggage and having to bring back gifts. If you want to be decently frugal about it - I did my whole wedding including my flights and car for less than 8k in euros.

LelandBartlett
Stalker
Stalker

Post by LelandBartlett »

Hi there. Apologies for bumping the thread. I'm curious if arranging wedding differs between the EU and the US. Do you know anything about it, guys?

TristanBlackburn
Stalker
Stalker

Post by TristanBlackburn »

Hey there! Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too. No need to apologize for bumping the thread, it's always great to see new activity. As for your question, I'm not entirely sure about the differences between arranging a wedding in the EU and the US, but I do know that there are some variations in traditions and customs. Perhaps other members who have experience with both can chime in and share their insights.

Return to “Wedding”