New kitten anxiety?

Bunny

New kitten anxiety?

Post by Bunny »

I just got a new kitten (8 weeks old and adorable) and she's going to be with my in my room. She was very mellow in the car and humane society but when we got home she started playing and running around. She's been getting curious in my room which is totally fine, just out of nowhere I got anxiety. I guess because I'm used to being alone all the time in my room and now this little kitten is going to be my roomate until she gets older to roam around the house. Has anyone else gone through something like this? I do not regret my decision to adopt her one bit, I just have anxiety for some reason.

thismustbetheplace
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New kitten anxiety?

Post by thismustbetheplace »

Are you worried about something happening to her? When I'm at home alone I check on my cats every few hours even now to make sure they're ok, and we've had them for over 8 years. I remember when we first got my cats as kittens, after the person we got them from dropped them off I kind of had a "what did I just do?!" feeling (I was the one who pressured my mom to get cats) but after we got used to taking care of them and bonded with them they became a part of our family and I can't imagine life without cats now.

Just make sure anything on low tables or shelves that she can reach and chew up or knock over, is moved to higher shelves out of her reach. Kittens can and will explore and destroy things!

Kazekage14
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kazekage14 »

I was terrified when my boyfriend gave me a kitten for my birthday!
I was worried it would get into something dangerous.
What helped me was "kitten-proofing" my room-
I suggest getting those electric socket covers made to protect adventurous babies.
Also, STICKY TACK! That blue, gummy looking adhesive used to hang papers.
You can find it in office supply stores.
Just take a little bit and stick it to the bottoms of things you don't want the kitten to knock over.
For me, that was a jewelry box.
It really helps prevent accidents. Maybe that will help you!

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Sorry I haven't checked back here, but here's an update!

I'm totally fine now - the weird spouts of anxiety went away after two days. I think it was a mixture of stress from school + getting her was such a spur of the moment thing that I did have a "what did I just get myself into" mindset for a bit. I was afraid she'd hurt herself since I haven't had a cat for years (I had a one/two year old cat for half a year but it kept attacking my dog so we had to give him away) and was just nervous since I didn't kitty-proof my room or anything. I love her so much now and can't imagine not seeing her every day. Thanks for the advice, you two!

Return to “Pets”