Rejected proposals...

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rejected proposals...

Post by TaylorKnows »

I've been watching these online lately and I've just been wondering on people's thoughts on what you should do in the situation of a public proposal...should you say yes and then talk about it later if you're not willing to marry or should you reject the person? I mean I've watched a couple where the guys have just been humiliated. Kind of a weird topic but I've actually had discussions with others on it. Honestly I'd say yes but then tell him in private that I didn't feel that way.

What really sparked me to make this:
[youtube][/youtube]

ChanelleJo
Debater
Debater

Re: Rejected proposals...

Post by ChanelleJo »

Haha, I used to watch tons of videos like this. I would get upset most of the time and would search "best marriage proposal" just so I would cheer up.
I guess I'd do the same thing as you. The thing that bugs me is why do people think is so cool to ask someone to marry publicly?

[youtube][/youtube]
You might notice some spelling mistakes or grammar errors. Sorry, not a native English speaker.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I get a few. I've seen the video you've shared and one was where they met so I guess he thought it'd be romantic. I don't think he's ever gonna eat Cinnabun again.

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

Really not sure what I'd do. I doubt I'd ever date a person that's actually extravagant enough to do a proposal in such a way in the first place. I'm actually leaning more towards being honest and saying no, purely because I think after going on the high of being engaged, it would perhaps hurt *more* to then have them say no? Or maybe not.. I really don't have a clue. I do really struggle with lying though (even white temporary lies :roll:) , and I think when put on the spot like that, I'd say no without even thinking how hurt they'd be. Honestly, it'd be a bit of a stupid move to do it in public with me anyway: if they know me well enough to propose, they should know by then that my idea of a good time is absolutely not surrounded by people, especially strangers. :roll: I'd actually probably consider it a dick move to propose in public. Call me ungrateful, haha, but it would be a really silly thing to do considering how uncomfortable I am around people. So yeah, doubt such an occurrence even has a chance of happening to me!

thismustbetheplace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by thismustbetheplace »

I love watching these videos! They're so sad but so hilarious.

I feel like the best course of action is to discuss marriage BEFORE you actually spend $$$ on a ring and propose, so you don't get blindsided. These guys who get rejected obviously know nothing about what their partners want, so...they kind of deserve it imo.

I would tell the guy no right away, it would be worse to lie and get his hopes up only to crush them later. That's just cruel.

oxprincessxo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oxprincessxo »

If any guy thought I was into that kind of stuff, well, he wouldn't know me well at all. Therefore, it would only make sense to reject him.

Even on an impersonal level, when you do something, you have to accept the possible repercussions of your actions. If you propose in public, there is the chance the person will say no. I mean, duh... A proposal is a proposal, regardless of how many people are around and every one should always have the right to say no to something they are uncomfortable with. (Somehow I made a proposal sound like rape. Oh well. Sorry, guys.)

well wait idk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by well wait idk »

the only thing is that with these videos, theres always a bunch of comments like "wow shes a bitch" or "what a whore" or horrible things like that. like, really? youre a bitch if you dont say yes? so messed up.

TWDfan
Learner
Learner

Post by TWDfan »

TaylorKnows wrote:I've been watching these online lately and I've just been wondering on people's thoughts on what you should do in the situation of a public proposal...should you say yes and then talk about it later if you're not willing to marry or should you reject the person? I mean I've watched a couple where the guys have just been humiliated. Kind of a weird topic but I've actually had discussions with others on it. Honestly I'd say yes but then tell him in private that I didn't feel that way.

What really sparked me to make this:
[youtube][/youtube]

Poor guy.
I would love a public proposal, but it all depends on where we're at in our relationship and stuff. If we're not at a good time in our relationship (constant fighting and such) or if we weren't together for that long then I'd say no.

TallButShort

Post by TallButShort »

I agree with all of you that saying no is better than getting his hopes up.

I've told every boyfriend I've had if we get to the point of marriage DO NOT make it public or I will say no. I think public proposals are a balsy thing to do and you have to know if you're at that point and if your mate is ok with it being public

SallyCinnamon
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by SallyCinnamon »

I bet some emotionally manipulative men ask their partners in public to try to ensure a 'yes'. Some are probably even aware that she is pulling back and feels it's not working, so they try to guilt-trip her into staying with a public proposal. I actually saw it once on a UK show, something like Queer Eye. The woman was obviously not into him anymore, and mortified when he proposed on camera. He didn't even seem like he was in love with her, more like he didn't want to have to start again.

thismustbetheplace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by thismustbetheplace »

this is the funniest one!

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “Wedding and Marriage”