Wedding/eloping/family problems

cocoapuff
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wedding/eloping/family problems

Post by cocoapuff »

I've been engaged for almost two years now, and haven't really gotten around to any wedding planning. I'm completely excited about being married to my best friend, I feel like we basically are already anyway, so its not cold feet or anything like that. Its just that my fiance and I are really quite introverted, we don't have a lot of friends, we're the type to leave parties early, and neither of us really enjoys being the center of attention. Case in point: our engagement party- it was fun for a few hours, but I actually ended up sitting outside the venue for 10-15 minutes just to have some alone time. Around 10pm (the party didn't finish until almost 2am) my fiance and I had this shared moment where it was like "if this wasn't our party, I would want to leave now."

In addition to that, before the engagement party there was a significant amount of money drama. Before we even started planning, my parents had volunteered to throw the party. My family and my fiance's family live about 2 hours away from each other. To make it as easy as possible for everyone we chose to have the party mid-way between us (which happens to be a fairly expensive metropolitan area). This caused a bunch of problems, with my father insisting that either we have it at their house (which is small, at the end of a kuldesac with basically no parking, and obviously far away from everyone) or he would no longer pay. For quite a while my fiance and I had just decided not to have a party at all; his parents can't afford it, and I really don't think its something you're meant to throw yourself. After months of pressuring from my mom (not from me, I had completely given up and was fine with the idea of not having a party), my dad finally agreed to pay for a party in the city, but he had a very strict budget (which was okay), refused to pay for someone else to make a cake (my fiance's parents gifted it to us), elected not to give us an actual gift or even card as 'the party was our present,' then spent most of the party complaining about how there wasn't enough food and the minimal bar tab he paid for ran out too fast. You can probably imagine I'm not really keen on reliving that :| so if we have a wedding, we will definitely be funding it independently.

On some level I feel like we 'have to' have a wedding for our families and close friends, but its just not something I'm excited about. I like the idea of the decorations, the cake, the dress etc. but it just seems like a big expensive party that I won't be able to run away from if I get overwhelmed. I'm worried that we won't have fun at our own wedding :(

I'm playing around with the idea of eloping, or potentially having a destination wedding with just our parents and siblings.

I could really use some advice, so if anyone can share their experiences or ideas on weddings/eloping/family problems I would love to hear from you!

cocoapuff
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wedding/eloping/family problems

Post by cocoapuff »

Thank you so much for your response and ideas! It's really nice to know that we're not the only ones with these sorts of issues. I talked to my fiance about having the reception run on a schedule, and he really likes that idea :) I think what made the engagement party difficult was how drawn out it seemed, we couldn't really leave before everyone else and quite a few of his friends wanted to stay back and drink. And I definitely think we will keep the guest list short, neither of us have a really broad social circle anyway, we just have a few very close friends and couple-friends.

As far as the money stuff with my dad, I know he was really in the wrong to act the way he did. It made the whole thing way more stressful than it should have been, and the planning process was completely unpleasant. I'm terrified that the same thing would happen with our wedding.

I mentioned our idea of having a destination wedding with just family to him just as an idea in passing (I suggested that we all take a short cruise together and have the wedding on an island), and the first thing he said was "I wouldn't be expected to pay for [my fiance]'s family's tickets too, right?" I can't believe that money is the only thing he can think about. I wish he could just be happy for us. At this point I don't know if I even want to invite him.

And just to preclude any questions about the situation: Money is not an issue for my parents, my dad recently retired from a job where he was earning over $200K and now has a lucrative personal business flipping houses. I haven't bothered telling him yet that we plan to pay for the wedding ourselves so he can't ruin it for us. My fiance and I have been together for over 6 years and we/our families all get along really well, so I don't think he's doubtful of our relationship's longevity or doesn't want us to get married.

Return to “Wedding and Marriage”