RoseHammer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Boyfriend disagrees with my marijuana use

Post by RoseHammer »

Okay, so background:

I've smoked off and on for years. I actually prefer smoking at home alone, because I feel certain strains of indica ( the calming type of marijuana ) helps me with my anxiety, helps me sleep, and helps to maintain a more positive state of mind. I have used prozac and xanax before, and they were effective but I don't have access to either of those right now until I see my doctor. And that in itself is a process that will take time, since I work and have school.

I feel I use marijuana responsibly, I avoid driving after smoking and tend to do it before bed. I don't really do it for "fun" or because people pressure me to, but because I have the benefit of calm and positive thinking.

When my boyfriend found out he got very quiet and pouted. He's younger mind you ( 18, I'm 21 ) and isn't too experienced with drugs/alcohol. For instance, he thought one beer would make me impaired to drive.

He said he didn't like me smoking because his dad smoked cigarettes, and he vowed he'd never smoke anything ect. He also said he felt it was embarassing. I'm not a habitual smoker by any means, I just buy some every now and again. This is the first real bump in our relationship, and I'm not sure how I should go about it. To be frank, I'm not letting him or anyone stop me from using something that provides relief medicinally. How can I make him understand that?

chanelpoison
Informer
Informer

Re: Boyfriend disagrees with my marijuana use

Post by chanelpoison »

RoseHammer wrote:Okay, so background:

I've smoked off and on for years. I actually prefer smoking at home alone, because I feel certain strains of indica ( the calming type of marijuana ) helps me with my anxiety, helps me sleep, and helps to maintain a more positive state of mind. I have used prozac and xanax before, and they were effective but I don't have access to either of those right now until I see my doctor. And that in itself is a process that will take time, since I work and have school.

I feel I use marijuana responsibly, I avoid driving after smoking and tend to do it before bed. I don't really do it for "fun" or because people pressure me to, but because I have the benefit of calm and positive thinking.

When my boyfriend found out he got very quiet and pouted. He's younger mind you ( 18, I'm 21 ) and isn't too experienced with drugs/alcohol. For instance, he thought one beer would make me impaired to drive.

He said he didn't like me smoking because his dad smoked cigarettes, and he vowed he'd never smoke anything ect. He also said he felt it was embarassing. I'm not a habitual smoker by any means, I just buy some every now and again. This is the first real bump in our relationship, and I'm not sure how I should go about it. To be frank, I'm not letting him or anyone stop me from using something that provides relief medicinally. How can I make him understand that?
Hi, hon! I'm the same age as you, and I smoke very regularly (pretty much every day, mainly at night when I don't have school or work) and, like you, I also pretty much use it medicinally to help with my chronic digestive disorders, anxiety/depression, and also to help me sleep sometimes.

Since you said he's younger and way more inexperienced/uneducated about it, I suggest that you all sit down and have a talk. Bring up how it is being legalized in many states in America now, and how there are many other countries who have also decriminalized it simply because it's been proven in numerous, reputable studies that marijuana is really not harmful to you.
Present the facts to him, and look up some educational YouTube videos about it together! Honestly, about 80% of the backlash that cannabis has gained throughout the years simply stems from not being educated about its uses and how to use it properly.
And if all else fails, you could mention how many people die a year from alcohol related causes vs. how many die from weed ;-) the numbers are quite disproportionate because alcohol has way worse effects on your body than weed does.

Bottom line, I say do a bit of research and present him a good argument. If it doesn't work and he's still against it, then maybe it is time to reevaluate the relationship a little. If he wants you to quit, and you yourself decide to quit, you should not quit because he wants you to. You should be quitting for yourself if that is what you decide to do. If you don't wish to stop, then he should be able to respect the fact that you smoke without being whiny about it or holding it against you. He should be able to see that your health physically benefits from smoking, and if he just doesn't want to be around it then maybe you guys could work out some grounds for it (i.e. you're not going to smoke around him, etc.). If he's mad about it, then I would consider whether or not I would want to continue the relationship. But I don't know you personally, so I'm just trying my best to work with what you posted! :)

Here are some good links to start your research:
(Adam Ruins Everything: Weed. This is an awesome video!)
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the- ... 6081910180
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2203003818
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/24977967

Good luck and happy toking! ;-)

chanelpoison
Informer
Informer

Post by chanelpoison »

hotlips wrote:He's allowed his own opinion, people feel strongly about smoking in general. Had my husband not given up smoking before we met we would not be married.
"Educating" him is probably a waste of time.
You're right. He's allowed to not agree with it, but she's also allowed to her opinion of finding it beneficial to her personally.
She also mentioned that he was younger and uneducated, so that's why I suggested "educating" him. :tu:

pussykat
Lurker
Lurker

Post by pussykat »

My bf smokes weed and he says it helps him to be calm and express his emotions more. I don't 100% agree but we smoked together in the past and having sex while high is actually pretty lit lol

I suggest you explain to him the benefits of smoking mj. I understand where he's coming from. My dad quit smoking 3 years ago and was hoping that could influence my bf lol but what can I do, right? I don't know what else to say but I hope you sort this out <3

aoacream
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by aoacream »

Leave him

Sanco
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Sanco »

I think marijuana is ok if in moderation.

JPalmer
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by JPalmer »

I think that's his problem. I advise you to live a high life.

Return to “Dating”