Online Dating?

HappyFeet
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Online Dating?

Post by HappyFeet »

I met my current boyfriend through online dating. A friend of mine said that they'd tried it and had had a few dates, and said that I should try it. I thought that, being 19 at the time, I was too young and wouldn't find anybody. But I thought I'd check it out for a laugh and see if there was anyone I liked. I didn't want to take it seriously and get sad if nobody messaged me.
I actually messaged him, and from then on, we talked and talked until we felt ready to meet up in person. Our first date was lovely, and after about 4 more we decided to enter a relationship. 20 months later and we're still together :)

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Primadxnna »

I met my current boyfriend online :) Honestly? The first time we met in person was amazing and we've been together now for two years. I've always had bad luck with dating, but looks like online works just fine! But so many creeps have tried contacting me, it bothers me :|
ImageImage

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Online Dating

Post by TaylorKnows »

I've signed up for a website and I know to be careful and I probably would never go and meet someone for a long time on one of these things, but I'm curious on people's thoughts when it comes to online dating. Would you do it? Sorry, if there's a thread on this. I looked but nothing came up.

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant: An elephant's faithful one hundred percent,"-Horton Hears A Who

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Online Dating

Post by Angie V »

I've tried it but I didn't meet anyone I liked enough to meet, and I closed it down when school started up again because I just didn't have time for it. I just went on okcupid which is notorious for being the worst one because it's free, and there were a lot of creepers on it.

edit:
oops, clicked on submit on accident.
I don't really like the idea of looking at profiles because then I feel like there's nothing left to talk about xD I talked to this one guy who was okay but he was asking me stuff that was written in the first section (I tried to keep everything pretty short too) of my profile so I was like all right did you even bother to read this.
imma ball til the day i fall

incognito

Post by incognito »

So I attempted match.com for a couple months... I didn't tell anyone about it bc I was kind of embarrassed, even though I have another friend who did it. It was way more expensive than I thought it would be, and I got nowhere with it. Idk all the guys seemed like assholes, 90% of them put in their profile that they wanted a girl who "takes care of herself" (translation: "is really hot!") and they just all seemed like a bunch of superficial douchebags. I didn't have a picture up at first, and received a kind of angry email from some random dude demanding that I upload a pic so he could decide if he was attracted to me or not? And the rest of the emails I got were from much older guys, who apparently can't follow directions since they were way out of the age limit I put in my profile. Idiots.

I checked out okcupid but never created a profile, it's kind of insane to me that the people on there answer all kinds of sexual questions publicly, like wtf your boss or something could be reading that... weird. I wouldn't date anyone who answered those questions because they are clearly lacking good judgment skills, lol.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I just joined okcupid tonight...seems okay. I came across one perv so far but just blocked him. Apparently some guy and I "chose" each other which I guess means we gave each other high ratings? Idk...we'll see.

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant: An elephant's faithful one hundred percent,"-Horton Hears A Who

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

I can't rule it out altogether, but as things stand, I can't imagine ever signing up to a dating site. I know it's worked for some people, but generally it feels so unnatural to picture finding a long-term partner on a site made for finding your long-term partner, it feels so set up and like desperation. I'm by no means calling everyone that goes there desperate, I just really find it unnatural and likely to end up in so many problems. Call me paranoid. :D So many of the people on there are looking for only sexual relationships or don't know what they want.. I've never done it myself but then I'm only 16 and most of the people on there are fairly older so I'd be worried if they were interested in me anyway. :P I grew up meeting the guys that my Mum would find on there, back when she was addicted to them... They were almost always right creeps, and 4 of them tried it on with me at the ages of 11, 13 and 14. :roll: I'd be extremely, extremely careful and not get your hopes up.

Online dating in general, however.. Like meeting someone on a forum or a chat site like Omegle.. I know you get dodgy people there as well but on places where you aren't actually LOOKING for love and sex, I feel you're more likely to find long-term friends and possibly lovers. We're not romantic, but I met my best friend who I'm going to move in with this August on Omegle and we've both more or less established that it could go down the romance route at any time. I met my other best friend who I've known for almost 2 years on a gaming forum.

I find stories about successful encounters on dating sites really interesting, but they seem to me to be so rare. Like people that get with those they met on speed-dating events. I know that it's something like 1 in 5 married couples nowadays that meet on the internet, but I'm not sure the percentage of those that met on dating sites. I'd probably guess the majority are places like forums and so on though, rather than sites specifically for that purpose. I guess I'm just pessimistic about it, I'm very much a believer that you find the best people when you're not looking for them. Oh well, it's worked for some people so you never know, I guess.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

My sister and uncle both met their spouses online and have been married for 10+ years. Buuut this was back in the early 2000's. My mom met my stepdad online 5 or 6 years ago, but she also met some creeps. My brother is currently using match.com and hasn't had any luck. He puts a lot of effort into his profile and the messages he sends (he asks me to proofread them sometimes, lol) and the girl will look at his profile several times but won't respond. I think he's gone on one date in the ~4ish months he's been on there. He's been using okcupid for even longer and hasn't met anyone from there either. He was talking to one girl for weeks and then she suddenly deleted her account. It seems very frustrating but maybe it's easier for women to find someone since men are often the ones initiating contact? I dunno.

As for me, I'm not sure if I'd do it (if I weren't married, of course). I'd rather join a MeetUp group for local singles or something like that. I did meet my husband online but it was on a forum, not a dating website.

berryfrezh
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by berryfrezh »

I used to think the idea of it was silly and near impossible to find a lover on it. I met two guys off okcupid, the first one turned out to be a weird control freak with a side of clingy I stopped contact with him after I realized how off he really was. The other one cut contact with me after we met. Other than those two I get a lot of creepers on okcupid. I did sign up for Pof and had luck there. Last August I met a guy, got close and now I'm still infatuated with him. Oddly enough I had zero plans to meet him, I was standoffish and he was the one all about hanging out. Now it is the complete opposite for the most part.

All I can really say about dating sites that are free at least is you need patience. Both my guy and I had duds before we met. You win some, you lose some. You have to figure out which ones are just creepers and which ones are genuine. Be cautious of the desperate as well.

TWDfan
Learner
Learner

Post by TWDfan »

Erm. Does Youtube count haha? I had an online relationship with three guys before (All at different times). That was before I met my boyfriend now though <3 . I still believe it's online dating even though it's also a long distance relationship as well. It was really hard because I could never actually hug them or anything. I did get to see them via webcam or via phone. One didn't do both and now that I think about it, it was kind of suspicious. It kind of stressed me out in a way because I was in a relationship, but it was hard to not see that person everyday. :(

shakenshake
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by shakenshake »

I've never used a dating site, I was on Tagged for a while as I thought it was like MySpace,. Big mistake, all I got was messages from horny old toads old enough to be my father "age is nothing but a number" yes, that may well be but I'm not interested. The desperate foreign guys "I'm not speaking English so well, so if I come to England, I come live with you and you teach me? And then we get married" whoa buddy if you want to learn English take classes, also I'm not jumping into marriage with you. Then there's the cocky arrogant pigs who straight out come out with "hey baby you look so hot! Good enough to eat! *insert all sexual connotations here*. These are the ones who get pi$$y when you tell them you are not interested, "we'll why not, this site is for fun! And if you ain't gonna have fun, why you here?" I'm sorry I didn't realise this was a hooking up for sex site. Sort of a well f*** you if you don't like me attitude. No one likes a sore loser, if you can't handle rejection then you shouldn't be here mate.
I will say if you do meet someone nice and go for a date, then be wary, always tell someone were you are going and make sure it's in a public place. I read a horror story about some girl who arranged to go on a date with a guy and he wasn't the dude in his picture.in fact he was a completely different in every way! There's the scammers, the pigs, the rude guys and the desperate's, you've just to hunt down the genuines. Good luck!

lalal0ve
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lalal0ve »

I posted more details in another thread but every guy I've ended up talking to ended up to be so mentally unstable. They were needy and creepy, it turned me off from the idea forever.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

I met my husband online. We talked and got to know each other for several months before meeting. Then we talked a few more months and then started going out. I think it's great because you have a buffer of being online where you can get to know someone before you actually see them in real life. However, there are a lot of creeps to get around, a lot of people hwo just want you to send them money, a lot of guys posing as girls, etc. I'd say always be careful and trust your gut when talking to someone online. People can initially be whoever they want to be. They try to put their best self forward. If even their best self gives you creepy vibes, stay far away.

Laina
Talker
Talker

Post by Laina »

Been in one for 4 years. Yup, 4 years.

candys
Stalker
Stalker

Post by candys »

Met my SO on OKCupid, together for three years and totally anticipate many more. I have never meshed so well with another person.

The other dates I've gone on with OKC were all good. Some were just a handful of dates, others lasted a few months. Just remember to be open minded to others, but have some set standards that you can build upon (ie. I was divorced with kids, so I looked for single dads, they had to have their shit together, had to be able to get my humour, I also refused to date any picky eaters or gamers, because of past experience).

Maxxx17
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Maxxx17 »

If you don't like communicating with this person you shouldn't ignore him. He doesn't know that. And the fact that you don't answer him makes it even worse. Just tell him straight out. I'm not interested in you. Will not communicate any more. That's it. Do not torture yourself and the interlocutor.
About online dating. I broke up with a girl. It was before quarantine. Since the pandemic started I didn't really go out or meet anyone. I found a dating site. I didn't think about anything serious. I just wanted to take my mind off things. At most I wanted to have a little fling. But shit. I met this adorable girl there. Who really got under my skin. We could text all day and not bore each other. I think she's a witch. LOL. How I wanted to see her in person. In the pictures she is just beautiful. Because of the quarantine we communicated for half a year like this... Chatting. Once the quarantine was over. I flew over to see her. And now we live together. I didn't think it would end like this when I signed up on the dating site. Life is full of unexpected twists and turns.

Return to “Dating”