Meeting new people and making friends

mres
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Meeting new people and making friends

Post by mres »

The past three years I have barely made any friend or met a lot of people.
When I was in high school I had three big groups of friends, a boyfriend and quite a social life. But ever since I went to college it seems to all have disappeared. In the first few months of college my boyfriend broke up with me and I lost touch with two of my groups of friend due to them leaving me out of plans because I was the only friend that wasn't in high school anymore, and the other ground due to having to quit playing soccer/football because I didn't have time anymore.

I met some new people at college, but there have only been a few that I became close with and actually spend time with apart from being in classes together.
This year one of my only friends that I still had left had left me hanging quite a few times. We would make plans to meet up, but she would always forget and not show up, or she would forget and make plans with other friends instead.

Lately I have been really struggeling with feeling lonely, because I just really really want to have more friends again.
I however, have found it difficult to really create friendships. I am quite a social person. I have no problem with meeting new people and talking to strangers. I just never seem to meet people and then to actually befriend them rather than to just be friend in class if you know that I mean.

I am really fed up with this (and fed up with myself for becoming so lonely and alienated when I just really want the opposite) and after almost three years I want to change things very badly.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Or does anyone has any ideas on how to get back to being a girl with a social life and friends?

(p.s. sorry for the long story and possibly for the grammar mistakes, english is not my native language)

youtubeness
Learner
Learner

Re: Meeting new people and making friends

Post by youtubeness »

I feel the same way. I see pictures of my close friends from high school moving on and making new friends and I feel like I'm being left behind at times. The little friends I make here and there from classes we stop talking by the end of the semester.

I don't really know what advice to give you but if you wanna reconnect with old friends send them an old pic on Facebook or message them with an inside joke you use to have and mention hanging out to catch up. If they are unresponsive they may be too busy or are not good friends and you should cut them off.

In any situation be open to talk to anyone and meet new people you never know who may be best friend material.

mres
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by mres »

Thank you so much for you're advice!
The reconnecting with friends thing has also been adviced by my best friends, so I decided it was worth a shot.
I reached out to two of the friends that I have lost 'close contact' with if that makes any sense. So far I have had one very good reply and one that was a bit disappointing,but I feel much more confident that things will be okay!

I will also try to be as open as possible and talk to everyone I meet as often as possible.

Hopefully we can both get past this stage. I think you should take your own advice, because it has made me feel a lot better, so it might make you feel better too!

OrganicTaquito
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by OrganicTaquito »

I agree with both of you! I'm in a similar situation. All my friends have gone on and either gotten married or having kids. The friendship has just ended because I got tired of only me making an effort to plan stuff and get together. Because I don't have kids (yet) they saw me as the one who has the time to do all the planning.

There should be an app for friendship just like match.com lol. Making friends as an adult is not easy at all.

Return to “Friends”