The Controversial Parenting Tag

Re: The Controversial Parenting Tag

Post by Guest »

canaduh wrote:
10) Vaccinations? It depends on the vaccine. I would allow then to get there tetanus and those necessities they need growing up but I wouldn't allow the Gardasil if I had a girl. I got the Gardasil in its early stages and it causes some side affects. Any vaccine should be researched for side affects and I wouldn't just get a vaccine for my child because the school said too. There are many parents who are against vaccines and I won't know where I stand until that moment comes.
I'm curious what kind of side effects you had? I also had the Gardisil vaccines done back in 2006 but without side effects (except the drug hurts like a mofo when it's being injected! Holy balls that stuff stings!)

canaduh
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by canaduh »

sillypeanut wrote:
canaduh wrote:
10) Vaccinations? It depends on the vaccine. I would allow then to get there tetanus and those necessities they need growing up but I wouldn't allow the Gardasil if I had a girl. I got the Gardasil in its early stages and it causes some side affects. Any vaccine should be researched for side affects and I wouldn't just get a vaccine for my child because the school said too. There are many parents who are against vaccines and I won't know where I stand until that moment comes.
I'm curious what kind of side effects you had? I also had the Gardisil vaccines done back in 2006 but without side effects (except the drug hurts like a mofo when it's being injected! Holy balls that stuff stings!)
It was one of the major ones. It looked like appendicitis but wasn't and they figured out it was from the needle. I also had extreme nausea and discomfort for two-three weeks after the injection.

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

1) Pro-life vs. Pro-choice : Pro choice.
2) baby wearing : no problem.
3) circumcision : for it. My husband had to get his done at the age of 18 and he says he can't think of much more painful than that. I also believe the decision of circumcision should be in the hands of the father as he's the one who can relate.
4) Adoption: My hubby is adopted. Wish the system would stop making the process so hard that many parents give up before even out of the gate. If the adoption agencies really cared about the kids, they wouldn't ask for thousands of dollars and years of processed paperwork only for a maybe.
5) baby piercing : Hate it with a passion. But if parent insists, I scowl at parents who get it done by the gun. The gun is a piercers worst nightmare. Plus, those who use guns barely get 8 hours of training before being let loose.
6) breast milk vs. formula : both are good. As long as the baby is fed.
7) Spanking : I believe in it. Ever since it became taboo kids have become more and more out of control. Give control back to the parents.
8) Co-sleeping: My hubby and I will be doing it as it's much easier to keep an eye on the kid.
9) home vs. public vs. private vs. charter schooling : as long as the kid gets an education.
10) Vaccinations : Should be a parents choice to opt out or not. There are hard facts on both sides of the fence and no parent should be made to feel ashamed for doing what they think is best for their childs health.
11) medicating children : depends for what. Some kids rely on meds to survive.
12) cloth vs. disposable diapers : First worst problem. Mothers in 3rd world country would give anything to have either/or.
13) cry it out method: depends on the kid. Each kid reacts differently, just so long as the cry it out method is not used in public. Then it becomes terrible.

thismustbetheplace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by thismustbetheplace »

1) Pro-life vs. Pro-choice
Pro-choice.
2) baby wearing
No. What if you trip?
3) circumcision
No. It's completely unnecessary and there can be complications.
4) Adoption
Huh? There are people who are against adoption? I would adopt but I probably can't because I've been in a mental hospital before.
5) baby piercing
No. It is more convenient for later in life, but again, risk of infection and one more hassle for the mom to worry about. I would let my daughter(s) get their ears pierced at the age of 13 once they were fully cognizant of the process and the aftercare that is needed. Maybe younger, like around 10, if they were mature for their age.
6) breast milk vs. formula
Breast milk whenever possible. But obviously some people have no choice but to use formula.
7) Spanking
No. I was hit by my mom as a kid, including with a belt, and I feel like it did nothing but encourage my brother and I to believe that violence and angry outbursts are an acceptable solution to interpersonal issues. I can trace a lot of the problems that my brother and I have back to being hit as kids. Violence is not acceptable in the "real world," so why should it be used to teach kids how the real world works? Punishments should mimic punishments in the real world, like having privileges taken away.
8) Co-sleeping
No. It's not worth the risk of rolling over on your kid and crushing them, or of your kid dying of SIDS. Just have the baby in a crib in the same room as you.
9) home vs. public vs. private vs. charter schooling
I wouldn't send my kids to private school. I don't want to spend so much money on school and I don't want my kids to grow up to be spoiled brats with no sense of how the real world works. I want them to go to a diverse school. A public gifted school would be the ideal option, if my future kids can get in (both my fiance and I went to public gifted schools). Charter schools are good if you are a lower-income family, but they are very hard to get into and some of them have overly strict teaching methodologies. Hopefully we will be able to live in an area with good public schools and will not need to send our kids to a charter school. I would not homeschool my kids because a) I want to have a career, and b) I think my kids will probably be introverts and it's better for them to be out and about among people and learn social skills.
10) Vaccinations
Ugh, people who don't believe in vaccinations are the worst. There is no scientifically proven link between vaccines and autism.
11) medicating children
Do you mean like psychiatric meds? Absolutely not (unless the kid has a really severe problem and cannot function any other way, and even then it would be a decision that required significant consideration). Honestly I don't even believe in psychiatric medication for most of the uses it is prescribed for in adults. It's all about drug companies hoping to turn a profit and many of these drugs do more harm than good (just look up "Prozac murder" or "Prozac suicide").
12) cloth vs. disposable diapers
Cloth would be eco-friendly, not sure how you'd remove the stains from them though? I don't currently have any kids and don't plan to for a while, so I never gave this much thought, but cloth diapers sound like a good idea.
13) cry it out method
I don't know, it seems a little bit cruel. How can you tell if your kid is just crying for attention vs. if they actually have a problem? A lot of times when my mom claimed I was crying for attention as a kid, I was actually legitimately upset. It depends on the kid's personality and the situation I guess.

sarcasmqueen
Learner
Learner

Post by sarcasmqueen »

Pro-choice!

2) Baby wearing
Yeah.. why not?

3) Circumcision
As someone else stated, I don't have a penis but I can't really see the point of doing it?

4) Adoption
Yes, of course!

5) Baby piercing
Nope. I'd wait until the kid decided that he/she wanted it.

6) Breast milk vs. Formula
It's the mothers' choice, though I think you should at least try feeding your baby with breast milk first.

7) Spanking
NEVER!

8) Co-sleeping
Yes.

9) Home vs. Public vs. Private vs. Charter schooling
Can't see why you shouldn't go to public school? Though I think the system might be different in Scandinavia.

10) Vaccinations
Yes! Can't see why you wouldn't protect your child as much as you can.

11) Medicating children
Yes, if the child needs it?

12) Cloth vs. Disposable diapers
Disposable.

13) Cry it out method
At times, yes. But please parents, do not use this method while grocery shopping (you're not alone in the store) :-|
Jag tror du söker efter mer än du ser,
Men jag ser att du ler och jag tror att du tvivlar.

Linnetbird
Debater
Debater

Post by Linnetbird »

I see so many people here commenting that circumcision is good because it's more hygienic? That's absolutely not true! Foreskin can be cleaned easily, and it's so not worth mutilating your child for it. I also think it's more of a "thing" in the US because I'm Dutch and it's rare if you get a circumcision over here. I see no reason to take away a part of your child's body when he can't even give consent. Keep the penises intact, yo. ;)

Dibs
Informer
Informer

Post by Dibs »

1) Pro-life vs. Pro-choice : Pro choice.

2) baby wearing : I think it's great. Some people get too fanatical about it though.

3) circumcision : No. In my country circumcision is rare, only really done by religious minorities, mainly Muslims. Many male rights activists here actually want to outright ban it because they consider it mutilation. I realize it's a culturally sensitive issue so I don't know about outlawing it but I would personally never do it to my child. I believe it's the child's own decision once they are old enough.

4) Adoption: Strongly support. Also gay adoption.

5) baby piercing : Same as circumcision, I believe this should be the child's own decision.

6) Breast milk vs Formula: Breat milk is preferable but I despise fanaticism around this. There's so much pressure on mothers to do it and sometimes breastfeeding just doesn't work. I am also weirded out by people who breatfeed very old children, like 4 year olds.

7) Spanking : Against it. I was spanked as a child and I can still remember the rage and wishing I was big enough to really hurt them back. Those are horrible dark thoughts for a child to have and I don't think I ever learned anything. It's not even like I was a bad child. I could sort of see it being ok if the parent was very much in control of their actions but my parents did it when they were angry themselves which made it feel more like an assault than a punishment and I suspect that's too often the case. But disciplining children the correct way is something that should be taught in parenting classes or something. Too many kids today just run wild and taunt adults because they know they can get away with it.

8) Co-sleeping: Not sure. It's getting very popular here. I can see the benefits but also the dangers, and I think it gets a little odd as the child grows older.

9) home vs. public vs. private vs. charter schooling : Prefer a good public school system. Private schools are ok as long as they' have a state regulated program. I think homeschooling should generally be avoided but can be done for good reasons

10) Vaccinations : Yes. The only reason not vaccinating can somewhat work is that majority gets vaccinated. If this non-vaccinating craze spreads, that won't be the case. I think not vaccinating is irresponsible and if the kid gets a serious illnes due to it I would charge the parents with battery or something. However, new vaccines should be strenously and impartially tested before being accepted. Pharmaceutical companies have too much power.

11) medicating children : depends but caution should be applied with psych meds. I feel these are used too often instead of proper parenting. However sometimes they too are necessary.

12) cloth vs. disposable diapers : Cloth diapers preferable but again an issue where I feel too strong opinions on the subject should be kept on the down low. There's so much pressure on parents these days.

13) cry it out method: Sometimes alright in moderation, but it can become almost cruel.

AngelPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by AngelPrincess »

Linnetbird wrote:I see so many people here commenting that circumcision is good because it's more hygienic? That's absolutely not true! Foreskin can be cleaned easily, and it's so not worth mutilating your child for it. I also think it's more of a "thing" in the US because I'm Dutch and it's rare if you get a circumcision over here. I see no reason to take away a part of your child's body when he can't even give consent. Keep the penises intact, yo. ;)
Your right more people in America do it I don't know how that started but its kind of become a cultural thing to do. Most doctors in the US say you should do because it helps with hygiene. I would say we should agree to disagree on this particular topic.

jodilo88
Learner
Learner

Post by jodilo88 »

I am pro-choice, but I have qualities of pro-life as well. If you're 16 and you get knocked up, abortion is not birth control. However, I don't think a victim of rape deserves to have to go through carrying a child to term that wasn't conceived by her own will (to have sex).

2) baby wearing
I support baby wearing but I am terrified to do it. With two cats that will be here whenever any baby/ies of mine get here, I have to watch the kid somehow to make sure the cats aren't suffocating him/her or something.

3) circumcision
Anti-circumcision here. I have done my research on the subject and don't believe it is necessary. You want your kid's penis cleaner, teach him to clean it when he's old enough to.

4) Adoption
I didn't understand why this was controversial at first but now I do. I completely support adoption, open or closed, and just hope that the birth parents aren't wackos trying to get their child back or something.

5) baby piercing
I have a lot of friends that do it, and I'm honestly not sure why. I had mine done when I was 7, but now I hate wearing earrings, so I will give any future daughter of mine the choice like I was given.

I want to breastfeed up to 6 months exclusively, and then pump and bottle feed until either my supply dries up or they turn 1, MAYBE 2. We'd see how that goes. Formula (like a lot of processed food) has a bunch of additives and stuff in it that I really don't want to pump into my child UNLESS I for some reason am unable to breastfeed.

7) Spanking
This is where my fiance and I differ. He is for it and I am against it. He was raised with a mother who spanked him if he did wrong, and my dad never had to punish me because I was actually a good child (and I'm being totally honest lol). Maybe I'll just leave the spanking to him but only in extreme cases (i.e. no spanking the kid if he/she hits his/her sibling)

8) Co-sleeping
It's good for a bonding experience, but I personally wouldn't do it in the same bed we sleep in. I'd be afraid one of us would roll over and suffocate him. What I'd like to do is get one of those bedside bassinet things and just use that, but I don't know if that qualifies as "co-sleeping."

Around this area, the public schools are AWFUL and our private school costs $10K/year per kid. Considering we only make $60K/year after taxes, that may not fly too well. So we are talking about either me homeschooling them myself, hiring a private tutor, or possibly moving to an area with better public schools.

10) Vaccinations
My fiance is dead set against certain unnecessary/unneeded vaccinations because he strongly believes that that is how his youngest brother got full-blown autism. He (brother) apparently went to the doctor at 2 years old, got pumped with a lot of shots, and went from a bright and happy cheery little boy to just a blank-looking wild child. To this day, he is 14 and you can barely understand a word he says, and he is constantly repeating things over and over, and he has fits like crazy...and wears diapers. So for that reason alone, we are selectively vaccinating any children we have and on a delayed schedule so that we can monitor our kids for any symptoms of anything that may go wrong.

11) medicating children
I'm not going to say we're one of those "anti-medicine" couples, because we do take ibuprofen for migraines and sleep aids and Benadryl for allergies, but we both absolutely hate going to a doctor unless it's absolutely necessary. I recently started using eucalyptus oil treatments (rub on feet and under nose) for colds and it works beautifully, instead of taking cold medicine. I'll take it if it is there and we have no eucalyptus oil, but I'm not one of those loonies you see on the news (no offense if anyone is like this) that believe that God and prayer will heal a dying child or something and refuse doctor treatment.

I'm for cloth, fiance is for disposable. Then I watched Missy and Bryan on dailybumps dealing with Ollie's cloth diapers and quickly changed my mind. I have enough laundry as it is :lol:

13) cry it out method
I am against this. I am not going to be one of those helicopter parents that is by the kid's side every time he/she fusses, but I don't believe in basically abandoning your child when he/she has a need that has to be met. Hungry, wet/dirty diaper, lonely, etc. etc. etc. I will be there for my child. Point blank. Now if the kid is like...a toddler and just doesn't want to go to bed, that's different.

Forever5stars
Talker
Talker

Post by Forever5stars »

This is coming from somebody who hates kids so ladida~

Pro-choice. Always have been, always will be.
2) baby wearing
Sure.. Why not? I lived in my sling when I was a baby lol
3) circumcision
Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about the pros and cons of it. I don't have a penis so I never bothered to learn lol.
4) Adoption
I think it's great. Especially for same sex couples and couples who don't have the ability to have kids.
5) baby piercing
Hell noooooooo! I'm 100% against piercing guns and always go for needles and I'd wait till they were old enough to make up their own mind about it
Breast milk.. It's obvious isn't it?
7) Spanking
Because that will TOTALLY help discipline your kid.
8) Co-sleeping
I think it would annoy me too much
I've been homeschooled my whole life, apart from college, but I'd give them the choice
10) Vaccinations
I never had any and I'm fine
11) medicating children
Only if necessary
Cloth ones are better for the environment and blah blah, but that would gross me out too much
13) cry it out method
Only if they're just crying for attention/having a tantrum.

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

jodilo88 wrote:
10) Vaccinations
My fiance is dead set against certain unnecessary/unneeded vaccinations because he strongly believes that that is how his youngest brother got full-blown autism. He (brother) apparently went to the doctor at 2 years old, got pumped with a lot of shots, and went from a bright and happy cheery little boy to just a blank-looking wild child. To this day, he is 14 and you can barely understand a word he says, and he is constantly repeating things over and over, and he has fits like crazy...and wears diapers. So for that reason alone, we are selectively vaccinating any children we have and on a delayed schedule so that we can monitor our kids for any symptoms of anything that may go wrong.
I'd be curious to have seen the mercury levels at the time of after your fiance's brother had the vaccine. Every kid that started having the problems after shots their tests came back with mercury levels through the roof and were never the same since.

ihateliars
Talker
Talker

Post by ihateliars »

I'm not a mom yet but...

pro choice
2) baby wearing
maybe
3) circumcision
nope
4) Adoption
yep
5) baby piercing
nope I'd let her/him choose
I'd like to breastfeed but switch to formula before they turn one
7) Spanking
depends on the child
8) Co-sleeping
nope too dangerous I move too much
home school
10) Vaccinations
yes
11) medicating children
yeah only if necessary
both (depends on the baby's skin)
13) cry it out method
sometimes

krandr0205
Informer
Informer

Post by krandr0205 »

1) Pro-life vs. Pro-choice Pro-choice. I just cant grasp how women cam judge other women on something as personal as that. I, personally, wouldn't have an abortion, but I see no problem in letting someone else. It's their life and their partner's, not anyone else's.
2) baby wearing if it makes things easier, why not?
3) circumcision Since I'm not a guy I don't really know. I probably wouldn't do it, but if my husband convinced me I would be okay
4) Adoption 100% yes. If I ever have the chance to, I probably will. A couple of my friends are adopted actually. One from Russia and the other from Nevada
5) baby piercing Yes but only because when I got mine done at about 7 I was a little shit and insisted on cleaning them myself. My ears then got infected and I had to have surgery to remove the earring that had grown into my ear lobe. Doesn't that sound wonderful? :?
6) breast milk vs. formula I would try breast feeding but it wouldn't be a big deal to me if I had to stop. I was formula fed and I am perfectly fine
7) Spanking Nope. But every kid is different. However, I say no because my dad spanked me and it was borderline abuse. He did it when I hadn't done anything wrong (like spilling butter on the kitchen floor), and all that did was emotionally scar me
8) Co-sleeping I know a lot of you say no to this, but I would. Not every night because there should be some mommy and daddy time, but if they really needed to sleep with me, I would allow them. My mom did co-sleeping with me because I would literally cry and hyperventilate every night because I was so scared. I was basically Chucky from Rugrat's: scared of everything
9) home vs. public vs. private vs. charter schooling Public, unless the only school around is shit. My cousins go to private and I think it's so stupid. It costs around 30G a year for them. My aunt claims it's because the school down the street is bad (it's horrendous lol), but 15 miles away are two of the best in the are/state. I could do better things with that money than an elementary school education (i.e. better living quality, charity, family fun...)
10) Vaccinations Why would you not do this? You can't send kids to school unless they are vaccinated...
11) medicating children Only if there aren't any other options, or they are suffering
12) cloth vs. disposable diapers Disposable. Disposable are so much easier (less gross lol) and they end up costing about the same
13) cry it out method Depends on what they cry about, and if they cry so long it hurts them. If they are an infant or under a year old, take care of them, it isn't going to hurt anyone and might save your sanity haha

WitchOfTheWest
Debater
Debater

Post by WitchOfTheWest »

[youtube] [/youtube]

Sorry if someone already linked or talked about this video. Thoughts?

MakeupGirly
Informer
Informer

Post by MakeupGirly »

I'm not a parent yet, but I have some opinions on these topics.

I lean more towards pro-life. Where I live, abortion is illegal anyway. I believe in it is certain circumstances like if the Mother's life is threatened. I'm not religious at all either, so it's not that. I don't look down on people for doing it though.

2) baby wearing
I don't know much about baby wearing, so don't no much about it.

3) circumcision
100% against. Nobody does it here, and I don't know why you would. Pointless and purely cosmetic.

4) Adoption
100% for. I think it's great.

5) baby piercing
Against. Where I'm from, piercing your baby's ears is considered tacky so I've just grown up not to like it. The only people who seem to do it here are gypsy's and people from other countries.

I think everyone understands breast is best. I don't think anyone is going to argue that. I don't really care either way though. If someone wants to feed their baby formula, then that's their business.

7) Spanking
Eh, no, don't really believe in hitting your child.

8) Co-sleeping
I can't imagine I would because I'd be so scared of rolling onto them. Plus I live in a cool country where we use thick duvets on the bed all year round and I'd be afraid they'd get smothered. I would like to have one of those co-sleepers that you attach to the side of the bed for the first few months though. Or at least a Mose's Basket right beside the bed. Over here, parents seem to keep their baby's in their room longer than they do in the US.

There aren't really very many private schools here. The closest one I know is about an hour away. Public schools here are predominately Catholic so they wear school uniforms and everything. It depends on the area whether the school is decent or not. The school my siblings go to is as good as any private school because it's in a well to do area.

I'm not a big fan of home schooling, but if people want to do it with their kids that's up to them. I have no problem with it as long as they are making sure their kids are socialising with other children. The only home schooled children I know are very eccentric and have a hard time fitting in with their peers though.

10) Vaccinations
Yes.

11) medicating children
I don't believe in rushing to your Doctor with your child for every little sniffle. I know some parents go to the Doctor for anti biotics for every little thing their child picks up. I do believe it's better for smaller illnesses to take it's course. I do think it's important to use medication to bring down temperatures though, especially in young children due to those convulsions they can get. My Mother didn't rush me to the Doctor for every little thing when I was growing up. I think I was on anti biotic once. Now I'm 20, I've literally only been to the Doctor once in the past 10 years. I wasn't even sick, I just had a lump I wanted to get checked out. I get a cold once a year but that's about it. Never pick up vomiting bugs or anything like that. I put that down to not taking anti biotics and other medications and growing up with animals so my immune system is fairly though.

Whichever, up to the parents. Neither are actually better for the Environment that the other. I'd imagine I'd be more of a disposable nappy person.

13) cry it out method
Not sure on that one yet.

letthedreamdescend
Learner
Learner

Post by letthedreamdescend »

No babies yet, but I like this tag :)

PRO-CHOICE! No one can ever judge or imagine being in other peoples situations.

2) baby wearing
Why is this controversial? Because it might make babies overly attached? I think it's okay.

3) circumcision
AGAINST! Growing up, my mom always told me how my brother was circumcised (my moms weird), and would go on about how hygienic it was. I never cared until I saw a show on it, where they showed an actual circumcision being preformed... I was never the same again. Anyone who wants a circumcision should watch a video of it. Poor freaking babies :(

4) Adoption
Of course? But like others said, more background checks!

5) baby piercing
No. I'm sure my kids will want them one day, and they can wait for that.

Pro-boob, but I understand if others don't/can't. I saw a news report saying a large percentage of women simply don't get enough proper instruction to do it, so yaah. I think more resources for donated breast-milk should be more available.

7) Spanking
Eehhh no. I was only spanked once as a child, but I think talking to your kids is more effective in the long run.

8) Co-sleeping
Ehhh, maybe not with babies. But I want to snuggles my kiddies.

Public. If I live in a bad neighbourhood or my child had bullying problems, I would consider catholic or private. I don't think we have charter schools in Canada.

10) Vaccinations
FOR FOR FOR. I believe in spacing out baby vaccines for trauma sake, but other then that we need them. We take for granted the fact we don't have that many infectious illnesses, and vaccines are to thank for that.

11) medicating children
EEEHHHH. As little as possible. My SO's side of the family have a lot of mental health problems, so medication might have to be part of my future kids lives.

I like the idea of cloth, but disposible seems more practical

13) cry it out method
Don't like it. Maybe if you check on them and their fine, do it the second time?
Close your eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams
Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before
Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar
And you live as you've never lived before

hopelessnotromantic
Learner
Learner

Post by hopelessnotromantic »

1) Pro-life vs. Pro-choice: 100% pro choice. I read somewhere “A woman does not want an abortion like she wants an ice cream cone, a new dress, or a Porsche; she wants an abortion like an animal caught in a trap wants to gnaw off its own leg to escape." No one WANTS an abortion, but sometimes it's the only option. I have a few friends who have gotten them, it was extremely difficult for them but in the end it was the right decision.
That being said though, I don't think I could do it myself - if I were to get pregnant right now, it would be something my boyfriend and I would've created out of love for each other.. does that make any sense at all??
2) baby wearing - absolutely, as long as it's done right.
3) circumcision - definitely not.. I can't even have this discussion with my friends because their we disagree so much. The main thing is though, I hate when they say things about girls their sons will hook up with in the future not liking them being uncircumcised.. Why are you thinking of that?! Not to mention, many of my friends have only been with guys who are circumcised, so they don't even know what an uncircumcised penis looks like... Not weird at all.
4) Adoption - I think it's a beautiful thing and people who put up their kids for adoption are extremely strong. I really hope that I do get to experience pregnancy, but if I can't, I'll definitely adopt.
5) baby piercing - I think I'll wait until my child can ask for their ears to be pierced.
6) breast milk vs. formula - breast milk if I can breast feed, but if I can't then formula will be fine.
7) Spanking - I really have no opinion. I was never spanked as a child, I don't think I'll spank my child ever, but it works for some people.
8) Co-sleeping - I would never co sleep with a tiny baby, but I did sleep with my mom when I had bad dreams, and I actually slept in the same bed as my sister for about three years, I had extremely bad anxiety (still do) and would constantly be waking up to check on her to make sure she was ok. MY parents put us in the same bed, and I got a much better sleep because she was there beside me.
9) home vs. public vs. private vs. charter schooling - Most likely public school. I went to public school, turned out fine. My sister went to private school and ended up switching to public for high school. The girls she went to school with were beyond awful, spoiled and stuck up. The school was a really good school, but this particular class of girls was terrible.
10) Vaccinations - I'll do the necessary ones, but not flu or anything like that. My dad has to get the flu shot for work and has a terrible reaction to it. Also, my mom is allergic to eggs, and she can't get the flu shot because of that.
11) medicating children - For colds and stuff, yes, but I think i'd have a hard time doing long term medication for my child (ADD, etc) unless I knew that was the case for sure. Too many cases of kids being misdiagnosed.
12) cloth vs. disposable diapers - Eh. I'd like to cloth diaper, but my boyfriend says no way in hell. So it all depends if I wanted help with the diaper changing or not. haha
13) cry it out method - Definitely not until the child is much older. Babies can't be spoiled, and babies are not manipulating you. That's the only way they communicate.

fossilfinger
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by fossilfinger »

How are baby-wearing and adoption even controversial topics? I have known some people who were against adoption, but they were freaking lunatics, so...

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

Pro-choice all the way. I could never get an abortion, ever. But I would never ever judge a woman for doing so. Like someone said, there will never be no abortions. People will find a way no matter what. The difference is with the law in place now, they can get it done safely with as little risk as possible. So many women years ago died because it wasn't legal. I don't see how anyone would want us to have to go back to that.
2) baby wearing
I've never seen why this is an issue? But I'd do it if I could.
3) circumcision
No. I am not against you if you do it but I'd never do it. I just think it''s making a choice for a child that isn't going to change his life either way.
4) Adoption
I have nothing against adoption as long as it's what the biological mother and biological father want and they were not coerced. That's what happened years ago and what still happens now. I would adopt if I could not have a baby of my own and even if I can, I'd like to foster adopt once my kids got older. But once again, I'd make sure that either the parents had been stripped of their rights (which is awful but it happened), they had passed away or they gave up their rights knowing it was the right thing. In the long run it's best for all parties involved.
5) baby piercing
No. If I have a girl, she will tell me when she's ready. Holes don't always close up and I don't want her mad at me if she changes her mind and the hole is still there.
It's up to you. Breast is best but if you can't breast feed, that's why we have formula. You shouldn't judge someone either way.
7) Spanking
I have no issue with it as long as it's not bruising or anywhere other than the rear. As someone who was abused as a child, I would never spank because I don't think I'd be able to stop there, so it's probably best I stick to verbal warnings, time outs and groundings. Again, a few swats in my opinion is fine. Beatings? No. That won't teach the kid anything.
8) Co-sleeping
I could never do it and honestly, I think it's great if you do but be careful. Maybe put one of those side cribs on your bed instead of just having the baby right in the middle of you two.
I see nothing wrong with any form of schooling. I attended a magnet school (which is just a school that teaches you everything but the main focus is one core subject) for elementary and high school and a public school for middle. I don't think I'd ever homeschool. Nothing against it, I just want to be a teacher myself so I would not be able to. I probably would never send my child to a private school, they'll learn the same thing at a public/magnet for free. If they grow up and decide to online schooling, I'd allow it as long as they kept up their work and were responsible with it.
10) Vaccinations
I don't believe in every single vaccination for diseases that are not relevant but for the ones that are? Yes. I'll probably do delayed vaccines, but they'd have all their vaccines so they could attend school.
11) medicating children
As in medication for colds and such, yes. But I do believe in questioning doctors/medical professionals if I keep going back and they just keep telling me the same thing. I almost didn't get proper diagnostic for the flu. They told me to go on allergy meds, thank God the nurse tested me. As for long term meds, I'd be warry unless they needed them to live. I don't think I'd ever put my kids on ADHD medication, I think there are other ways of going about it.
Whatever you wana do is cool. I'll probably end up doing disposables. I know they're worse for the enviroment but I just don't think I'd have the patience to cloth it out.
13) cry it out method
No. I don't think it's okay to jump up at the beginning of every cry. But if the cry lasts for a good forty five seconds to a minute, then yeah I'd get up and investigate. Even if all they want to do is cuddle, they're babies. They will grow out of it. Is there any issue with that?

PinkandGreen
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by PinkandGreen »

1) Pro-life vs. Pro-choice ~ pro choice
2) baby wearing ~ if you want to go for it
3) circumcision ~ no didn't even know what it was until a few years ago
4) Adoption~ YES it's an amazing thing I have lots of adopted friends.
5) baby piercing ~ no let the kid decide when, I still don't have my ears pierced and I'm in my 20's
6) breast milk vs. formula ~ breast milk is best but if you can't and have tried hard to, obviously formula is ok
7) Spanking ~ no!
8) Co-sleeping ~ only for bad dreams etc
9) home vs. public vs. private vs. charter schooling ~ probably public, public school where I live is better than in the states
10) Vaccinations ~ yes
11) medicating children ~ if they need it
12) cloth vs. disposable diapers ~ disposable
13) cry it out method~ no they need to be comforted

Return to “Family”