BABY NAMES!

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: BABY NAMES!

Post by Angie V »

^ My full birth name is Spanish but I'm from Eastern Europe. My sister's name is also Spanish. It's just what my parents liked, I don't have a problem with names that are of another ethnicity specifically because so many names are now universal and you can't even really pinpoint their origins to one specific place.
imma ball til the day i fall

sleep84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sleep84 »

^^^ It depends where you live. Certain places are more "open" to diversity than others (I'm not endorsing the fact, I'm just pointing it out).
The only thing that anyone should consider is that the child will have to bear the name for the rest of his/her life, mostly (unless you legally change it once you grow up).
It has to sound like a name in the place that you currently live. That's the one rule, I think.

Btw. Luna is not spanish actually, it comes from Latin and it carries the same meaning of Selene( Greek version) or Chandra (indian version!)
Personally I think LUNA sounds adorable!!!

Ellen Pompeo named her daughter Stella Luna, which is kind of odd, putting them both together, but doesn't sound bad. :)
Pardon my typos, I have a rubbish keyboard. :P

Beth_munday
Informer
Informer

Post by Beth_munday »

I called my son George, I thought it was not an unusual name but he probably wouldn't meet many people with the same name. Then when he was about 2 weeks old they announced the royal baby name :D
Now whenever anyone asks his name I have to say we had that name first or they think we copied!

gizcorn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gizcorn »

whoawhoawhoa wrote:i was wondering what you guys thought of people naming their children with names that are not from their ethnic language/background? for the longest time i loved the name luna and was thinking to name a possible daughter luna, but when i told someone this they responded "why? that's a spanish name" (i'm not spanish lol)
It's nobodies business but yours really. Especially with the name Luna recently being popularised by an Irish character in Harry Potter I don't think many people will make the link between the name and it's background. So many names are from Middle Eastern origin anyway, ie every single name in the Bible, but you don't hear people worrying about Delilah or David being Middle Eastern background?

Luna's a beautiful name and it doesn't matter where you get a name from as long as you love it :)

Diva.
Learner
Learner

Post by Diva. »

Girl names.
Audrey
Scarlet
Victoria
Madelon
Allison
April

Boy names.
Milan
Daniel
Joey
Axel
Alex

whoawhoawhoa

Post by whoawhoawhoa »

thanks for all of your guys' input! i love the name "luna", ever since i read the book "Stellaluna" when i was a kid. and i never thought of it beyond how pretty it sounded, and how it means moon/moonlight i think?
sleep84 wrote: Btw. Luna is not spanish actually, it comes from Latin and it carries the same meaning of Selene( Greek version) or Chandra (indian version!)
Personally I think LUNA sounds adorable!!!

Ellen Pompeo named her daughter Stella Luna, which is kind of odd, putting them both together, but doesn't sound bad. :)
cool to know! i thought it was a bit weird when the person claimed the spanish origins so specifically, when italian people also use it. but anyway haha to me the origins are so irrelevant!
phoeblue wrote: It's nobodies business but yours really. Especially with the name Luna recently being popularised by an Irish character in Harry Potter I don't think many people will make the link between the name and it's background. So many names are from Middle Eastern origin anyway, ie every single name in the Bible, but you don't hear people worrying about Delilah or David being Middle Eastern background?
ugh you are totally right! the person that i had this discussion with was hispanic, but he had romanized his spanish name to be a very popular English one. OH THE IRONY!

lacrymosa
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by lacrymosa »

Boys:
Bobby
Jude
Julian
Theodore (Theo)
Leonardo (Leo)
Leon
Arthur
Georgio

Girls:
Shiloh
Chiyo

(Honestly, i really don't like many girls names... at all.)

AngelPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by AngelPrincess »

whoawhoawhoa wrote:i was wondering what you guys thought of people naming their children with names that are not from their ethnic language/background? for the longest time i loved the name luna and was thinking to name a possible daughter luna, but when i told someone this they responded "why? that's a spanish name" (i'm not spanish lol)

You can name your baby anything you want it doesn't matter if your not apart of that ethnicity or background. That was kind of rude of that person to say that. Luna is a really pretty name. I'm African American/Jamaican and I have a Finnish name and my brothers is an Irish name. I'm glad because my name is Finnish Because I'm sure if my mom picked a Jamaican name it would be Queenie or Princess which is actually very popular down there.

mumma2one
Learner
Learner

Post by mumma2one »

What are peoples thought on "Nevaeh" for a girl?
It is heaven backwards, I am not a religious person but I do like unusual names :-)

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

I love the name Olivia, it sounds classic and sophisticated IMO.

peetharolls
Talker
Talker

Post by peetharolls »

Boys (don't have a lot of favorties):
Jonah
Peyton
Noah

Girls:
Shiloh
Noa
Nadia
Rae
Nehemiah (Ne-ya-mi-ah)
Ariane (Air-re-ane)
Sasha
Laila/Layla
Leila
Paislee
Madisen

my family thinks I like "white" names smh. I didn't know names had races..

starlightcity
Learner
Learner

Post by starlightcity »

Faye
Keira or Kira
Hope
Skye
Selene
Lily
Sophie or Sophia
Lena
Mia

Boys:
Adrian
Dylan
Philip
Aaron

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

mumma2one wrote:What are peoples thought on "Nevaeh" for a girl?
It is heaven backwards, I am not a religious person but I do like unusual names :-)
Don't like it. I knew someone who was going to name her daughter that despite some really awful and offensive things her father said about the name, but she ended up changing the baby's name to Elizabeth at the last minute. Didn't the name sort of take off because someone on Teen Mom used it? I don't watch that show, so I'm not totally sure, but I think I heard that somewhere.

gizcorn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gizcorn »

Yeah there was a girl a couple of seasons ago who named her daughter Neveah. I really don't like it, I think there's a fine line between unusual and trashy, and Neveah to me screams trashy. Lots of names featured in Teen Mom/16 and Pregnant get popular for some reason, I personally wouldn't go taking name advice from a bunch of teenagers, I think you have to pick a name that goes well from infancy to old age. A lot of the names nowadays are either old fashioned or new creations, and I think the ones with the most longevity (ie not made up) are better.

Also I hope I'm not coming across too rude. I have a weird name myself so I'm speaking from experience.
Last edited by gizcorn on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

lacrymosa
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by lacrymosa »

kittykat wrote:
Don't like it. I knew someone who was going to name her daughter that despite some really awful and offensive things her father said about the name, but she ended up changing the baby's name to Elizabeth at the last minute. Didn't the name sort of take off because someone on Teen Mom used it? I don't watch that show, so I'm not totally sure, but I think I heard that somewhere.
I don't like it either. I know someone who caller her daughter that and everytime someone asked her what her name was she always said the same thing: "It's Nevaeh.... that's heaven spelt backwards by the way" Idk, it was never just Neveah, she always had to mention the heaven thing and it always bothered me. She might as well have put "Neveah-That's-Heaven-Spelt-Backwards" on the birth cetificate. :lol:

(This wasn't directed about you personally)

mumma2one
Learner
Learner

Post by mumma2one »

lacrymosa wrote:
kittykat wrote:
I don't like it either. I know someone who caller her daughter that and everytime someone asked her what her name was she always said the same thing: "It's Nevaeh.... that's heaven spelt backwards by the way" Idk, it was never just Neveah, she always had to mention the heaven thing and it always bothered me. She might as well have put "Neveah-That's-Heaven-Spelt-Backwards" on the birth cetificate. :lol:

(This wasn't directed about you personally)

Hahaha. Yes thats what I think would end up happening to me if I use the name :lol: I do like the name, but will probably steer clear of using it as a name altogether. Thank you for your thoughts!

peetharolls
Talker
Talker

Post by peetharolls »

Another baby girl that I absolutely love is Emerson!

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

It's actually not "usual" anymore. Nevaeh is more common around here than any other name, to be honest. I think I know seven or eight under the age of 5. And one who is in high school. A former classmate had twin girls and actually named them Heaven and NevEAh :roll: I thought it was hilarious that she couldn't even spell it right

peetharolls wrote:Boys (don't have a lot of favorties):
Jonah
Peyton
Noah

Girls:
Shiloh
Noa
Nadia
Rae
Nehemiah (Ne-ya-mi-ah)
Ariane (Air-re-ane)
Sasha
Laila/Layla
Leila
Paislee
Madisen

Haha that's funny, my family always used to accuse me of liking "black" names. My favorite for a long time was actually Nialiah (similar to your Nehemiah, only with an L instead of an M).

unlacedslowly
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by unlacedslowly »

Girls:
Harley
Cora
Alaska
Willow (My mom was actually gonna name me Willow, haha.)

Boys:
Hunter
Elijah

Hunter and Elijah are the names I'm definitely gonna give if I have two little boys in the future haha. I hope to have two boys and a girl but whatever God gives me I'm blessed with. <3

peetharolls
Talker
Talker

Post by peetharolls »

BellaJane wrote:
It's actually not "usual" anymore. Nevaeh is more common around here than any other name, to be honest. I think I know seven or eight under the age of 5. And one who is in high school. A former classmate had twin girls and actually named them Heaven and NevEAh :roll: I thought it was hilarious that she couldn't even spell it right

peetharolls wrote:Boys (don't have a lot of favorties):
Jonah
Peyton
Noah

Girls:
Shiloh
Noa
Nadia
Rae
Nehemiah (Ne-ya-mi-ah)
Ariane (Air-re-ane)
Sasha
Laila/Layla
Leila
Paislee
Madisen

Haha that's funny, my family always used to accuse me of liking "black" names. My favorite for a long time was actually Nialiah (similar to your Nehemiah, only with an L instead of an M).
haha that is weird!

Return to “Family”