Prom Makeup

helloparis
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Prom Makeup

Post by helloparis »

Does anyone know a good place where I can get my makeup done for prom?

I was thinking about Sephora, as they have a variety of brands & products, but will I be allowed to have an artist do a "test prom look" on me beforehand, and if I like it, I can book the official appointment on prom day? I know about the $50 rule where you have to buy $50 worth of products to have a makeover.

But other then Sephora, do you know of any places that can allow me to do this "test prom look"?

urmotherwasahamster
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Prom Makeup

Post by urmotherwasahamster »

I think ULTA does makeup as well, and I think they just have a courtesy rule where they would prefer that you purchase something before the makeover. I would actually encourage you to do your own makeup though, because you might look great under the heavy fluorescent department store lights, but when you get outside you could look like a drag queen. :oops: Not that they aren't good makeup artists, the lights are just very deceiving.

starlightcity
Learner
Learner

Post by starlightcity »

I would do my own makeup for prom too. I know what I like best on myself, and I know what my go-to products are. If you're asking this question because you don't know how to apply makeup well, then ask a friend of yours who is good at it. I agree with the person above, and plus not every "makeup artist" in those types of stores is on par and professional.

If you totally disagree with my opinion, then I think a test run at Sephora is safe. Try researching MAC and Ulta too. I just personally wouldn't spend that much money on my makeup, when I already have a bunch of my own, and because I would want to spend money on my dress and stuff.

helloparis
Informer
Informer

Post by helloparis »

Thanks for your input, guys!

My mom suggested that I do my own makeup for prom as well, but the thing is, I am not very good at doing formal makeup or using eyeshadows at all (I am SO lost when it comes to how to blend and where to use what color). I'm good with doing my everyday look, which is just foundation, eyeliner and mascara, but for prom, I'd like to go up a step and have eyeshadows and all that which I am not very experienced at.

But I'll definitely consider it though. I don't have an Ulta store right nearby, so I think I may head to Sephora or MAC.

ikeepitrealok
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ikeepitrealok »

try looking up a salon in your town on yelp and see if they're good for prom hair/makeup :)

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

Well Sephora is good because as long as you make like a $50 purchase, the makeover is free (at least they are here). I think MAC is the same. I would imagine most makeup counters would be willing to do a test run look for you. There are always stacks and stacks of face charts for the sales girls to fill out, so I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with it. Personally I'd go to Chanel, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown or Dior before I'd go to MAC (if you want to go to a counter). I wouldn't want to look like a MAC girl at my prom. Or ever. As for the $$, a lot of times you're going to like the products that they use enough that you'll be willing to buy at least 1 or 2 of them, which would probably already take you to that $50. And the problem with going to a salon or a MUA's business, as opposed to a counter or makeup store, is that a salon is going to charge you for the makeover, and it's probably going to be a lot more than $50. I don't know if salons around your area have deals or anything, but ours only do deals for brides and bridal parties. Any "special event" makeup application usually runs around $80 to $125, depending on the salon. :?

Rain~
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Rain~ »

I know MAC offers prom/event makeovers. I think I heard from someone they were $50 dollars, but idk about the test makeover. I suggest you go to Sephora and ask about the prices and the test makeover, and then check some reviews, to see if its agood idea or not. (:

helloparis
Informer
Informer

Post by helloparis »

Thanks everyone!

I think I am gonna try Sephora, and if not, try a makeup counter!

Return to “Prom”