Prom Makeup Suggestions?

Kazekage14
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Prom Makeup Suggestions?

Post by Kazekage14 »

So I'm a sophomore, but my boyfriend is a junior.
Which means I can go to prom this year!
I know it's a while away,
but I figure I should get makeup now.

The homecoming dance is in two weeks,
and I don't want to go shopping during prom season,
because everything will be gone!
Plus I would like to use the products more than once.
I can get what I need now and kill two birds with one stone.

For reference,
I'm really pale. If I got any lighter, you could see my veins.
I also have an iron defiency and get dark circles that are hard to conceal.
My eyes are light brown, almost orange,
and my hair is almost black. It's dark brown.
I'm open to trying almost anything,
and you all seem to have quite a bit of knowledge makeup-wise.

Thank you in advance!

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Prom Makeup Suggestions?

Post by BellaJane »

Do you normally wear makeup? And do you just want the basics or do you want advice on a look to go for? And I know you said it's a long ways away, but do you have any idea what your dress will look like? I remember when I went to dances in high school I definitely had to make sure my makeup went well with the dress I was wearing.

But just for the basics, you're going to want some kind of foundation/concealer or powder (it depends on your skin & what kind of coverage you want). You said you have really dark circles, so definitely grab a concealer. MAC and Make Up For Ever make really good ones and you'll get a lot of use out of them. If you go into the store or counter they'll color match you--but don't buy the product right away, be sure to check it out in different lighting. The lighting in stores is terrible.

A primer is a good idea, as well (for your eyes and your face) because they typically help your makeup last longer and look fresh as long as you need it. I'm not sure how long your prom is, but mine were 7pm-6am, so longevity was something I always needed! And setting sprays are divine for events like this. The ones from Urban Decay are my favorites because they work well and are easily accessible.

I definitely recommend mascara to everybody, even if you don't want to wear any other eye makeup. Those you can get from the drugstore and they work just as well as any high end brand. Maybelline, Covergirl & L'Oreal make some of my favorites, but definitely make sure whatever you get is waterproof or water resistant.

And I don't recommend going too heavy on the lipcolor (nothing you're going to have to reapply every hour or that's going to transfer, especially if you plan on kissing the boyfriend haha). I went to school with girls who would wear a really bold red lipstick and it would either be all over their face halfway through the night or they'd spend 75% of the night in the restroom reapplying their makeup.

Whatever you do you're definitely going to want makeup that lasts all day and doesn't require a lot of (or any) touchups. I generally went for foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara, a simple eyeshadow look and a lip stain or a tinted lipbalm. But I did always make sure that my makeup looked right with my dress, color-wise. The worst is to see a girl with a hot pink dress and turquoise eyeshadow with hot pink lipstick...lol

Kazekage14
Informer
Informer

Post by Kazekage14 »

l'enqueteur wrote:Do you normally wear makeup? And do you just want the basics or do you want advice on a look to go for? And I know you said it's a long ways away, but do you have any idea what your dress will look like? I remember when I went to dances in high school I definitely had to make sure my makeup went well with the dress I was wearing.

But just for the basics, you're going to want some kind of foundation/concealer or powder (it depends on your skin & what kind of coverage you want). You said you have really dark circles, so definitely grab a concealer. MAC and Make Up For Ever make really good ones and you'll get a lot of use out of them. If you go into the store or counter they'll color match you--but don't buy the product right away, be sure to check it out in different lighting. The lighting in stores is terrible.

A primer is a good idea, as well (for your eyes and your face) because they typically help your makeup last longer and look fresh as long as you need it. I'm not sure how long your prom is, but mine were 7pm-6am, so longevity was something I always needed! And setting sprays are divine for events like this. The ones from Urban Decay are my favorites because they work well and are easily accessible.

I definitely recommend mascara to everybody, even if you don't want to wear any other eye makeup. Those you can get from the drugstore and they work just as well as any high end brand. Maybelline, Covergirl & L'Oreal make some of my favorites, but definitely make sure whatever you get is waterproof or water resistant.

And I don't recommend going too heavy on the lipcolor (nothing you're going to have to reapply every hour or that's going to transfer, especially if you plan on kissing the boyfriend haha). I went to school with girls who would wear a really bold red lipstick and it would either be all over their face halfway through the night or they'd spend 75% of the night in the restroom reapplying their makeup.

Whatever you do you're definitely going to want makeup that lasts all day and doesn't require a lot of (or any) touchups. I generally went for foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara, a simple eyeshadow look and a lip stain or a tinted lipbalm. But I did always make sure that my makeup looked right with my dress, color-wise. The worst is to see a girl with a hot pink dress and turquoise eyeshadow with hot pink lipstick...lol
I wear makeup on a daily basis, but it's just purminerals.
Usually I wear eyeliner, mascara, tinted lip balm, and mineral foundation.

I've never worn lipstick, because I feel like it'd be awkward if it gets on my teeth or something.
I've also never tried a setting spray, but I'd like to.
I don't know if I should do contouring because I'm pretty much marshmallow colored.
I'm willing to spend money, but I'm not getting any Chanel stuff!
Drugstore is definitely something I'm open to.

Dress wise, I want to wear green.
Last year a lot of girls wore purple,
and even though that's one of my favorite colors,
I'm trying to avoid it, for fear of matching!

Thank you.
I probably should have thought the question through more,
but if what you provided was just basics, it was really helpful.

Do you have any suggestions for a primer?

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

I know the Hourglass Veil primer is one of the most loved (it didn't personally work for me, though). I use Smashbox Photofinish Light or CoverFX Clearprep, but I have very insanely oily skin and they're the only ones that work for me. They are kind of pricey, but I know you can get half sizes of the Hourglass and Smashbox for like $16-17. And if you don't want to actually buy them, you can get samples from Sephora. And there are some drugstore ones out there now, too. Rimmel, L'Oreal & Hard Candy are the ones I know of, but I haven't tried them. The one thing I really suggest getting is definitely the setting spray. They have sample sizes of those, too, but I think they're kind of a ripoff compared to the full sizes. But they're definitely worth it. I've worn makeup for 24 hours on a few occasions and the setting sprays are a lifesaver.

If your dress is green, I'd say go for shades of either gold or burgundy in your makeup, or do a natural look with browns or taupes. For vibrant or statement dresses I think girls should steer clear of matching their makeup colors exactly, it can look overdone. So I'd stay away from the greens & blues. I think gold shades look great with green and the red tones in burgundy shades will really accentuate the colors you're wearing when you pair it with a green dress. Of course this depends on your skintone, as well. I know you said you're pale..I am, too, and I often avoid wearing gold shades because they make me look like a sallow clown (even though I have warm skin).

I can give you some actual product recommendations, if you'd like? I know makeup shopping can be overwhelming sometimes.

SilverMiko
Debater
Debater

Post by SilverMiko »

Lisa Eldridge did a video I like of party/prom make up that isn't too over the top.
http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/20809 ... y-make-up/

I think you don't need to aim for getting the same products, shoot for the look. Don't be afraid to ask at stores or makeup counter if help is available what you're looking for. At Sephora you can get foundation/primer samples and see what works for you.

Kazekage14
Informer
Informer

Post by Kazekage14 »

SilverMiko wrote:Lisa Eldridge did a video I like of party/prom make up that isn't too over the top.
http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/20809 ... y-make-up/

I think you don't need to aim for getting the same products, shoot for the look. Don't be afraid to ask at stores or makeup counter if help is available what you're looking for. At Sephora you can get foundation/primer samples and see what works for you.
I love Lisa E....but yeah, some of the stuff she uses I'll never get my hands on.
Suqqu brushes....oh boy.
I gave up on aiming for those a while ago!
Thanks for your help, I'll check out Sephora.
The SAs intimidate me sometimes.

Kazekage14
Informer
Informer

Post by Kazekage14 »

l'enqueteur wrote:I know the Hourglass Veil primer is one of the most loved (it didn't personally work for me, though). I use Smashbox Photofinish Light or CoverFX Clearprep, but I have very insanely oily skin and they're the only ones that work for me. They are kind of pricey, but I know you can get half sizes of the Hourglass and Smashbox for like $16-17. And if you don't want to actually buy them, you can get samples from Sephora. And there are some drugstore ones out there now, too. Rimmel, L'Oreal & Hard Candy are the ones I know of, but I haven't tried them. The one thing I really suggest getting is definitely the setting spray. They have sample sizes of those, too, but I think they're kind of a ripoff compared to the full sizes. But they're definitely worth it. I've worn makeup for 24 hours on a few occasions and the setting sprays are a lifesaver.

If your dress is green, I'd say go for shades of either gold or burgundy in your makeup, or do a natural look with browns or taupes. For vibrant or statement dresses I think girls should steer clear of matching their makeup colors exactly, it can look overdone. So I'd stay away from the greens & blues. I think gold shades look great with green and the red tones in burgundy shades will really accentuate the colors you're wearing when you pair it with a green dress. Of course this depends on your skintone, as well. I know you said you're pale..I am, too, and I often avoid wearing gold shades because they make me look like a sallow clown (even though I have warm skin).

I can give you some actual product recommendations, if you'd like? I know makeup shopping can be overwhelming sometimes.
I can sympathize with the gold problem!
And if you have any product suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
I have decided to take your advice on primers, but I'm going to have to ask my dermatologist about what she likes.
I had pretty bad acne that was just under being "cystic", and was put on Epiduo/Solodyn/many things.
I'm finally cleared up, no scars (surprised me), and my skin went from so oily I could soak through blotting papers,
to normal/dry. My derm wears a lot of makeup (not cakey, just done up), so I'm sure she might have ideas.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

Kazekage14 wrote:I can sympathize with the gold problem!
I have decided to take your advice on primers, but I'm going to have to ask my dermatologist about what she likes.
I had pretty bad acne that was just under being "cystic", and was put on Epiduo/Solodyn/many things.
I'm finally cleared up, no scars (surprised me), and my skin went from so oily I could soak through blotting papers,
to normal/dry. My derm wears a lot of makeup (not cakey, just done up), so I'm sure she might have ideas.
Checking with your derm is definitely a good idea, especially if you've had skin problems. I'll hold off on mentioning any foundation/concealer/etc products, too, because you should definitely check with her first to see if you have any ingredient sensitivities!

Lol I love giving product recs. I've wasted a lot of money on sub-par makeup, so I like being able to tell people what I think is good and what isn't. For eyes I love the Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. Definitely my favorite primer ever. The Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream & Benefit Creaseless Cream are good cream eyeshadows. I love #13, #15 & #16 in the MUFE and Birthday Suit & Skinny Jeans in Benefit. The Maybelline Color Tattoos are good, too, but they're not as long-wearing and resistant as the Benefit or Make Up For Ever. And I find that cream eyeshadow products are generally some of the cheapest you can find, even in the high end lines. Benefit are only I think $19 and MUFE are $22. As far as powder eyeshadows go I really like the ones from Nars, MAC, Urban Decay & Make Up For Ever. The BareMinerals duos are nice, too. And CoverGirl actually makes some really nice eyeshadows. My favorite ever is Tapestry Taupe...it's my go-to eyeshadow for everything. For eyeliner...I can't recommend Revlon Colorstay enough. It's the only one I've been able to use on my waterline without it smudging or melting off (I have allergies & wear contacts). And for mascara my favorites are CoverGirl Lashblast Volume, L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, Maybelline Full N Soft, Maybelline Falsies, Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash and Fairydrops Scandal Queen...but I like them all for different reasons. The Covergirl is great for volume, the Maybelline Falsies is great for lengthening. The L'Oreal & Maybelline Full N Soft are very natural, everyday looks. MUFE Smoky is *very* black and gives decent length & volume...but it's only slightly more dramatic than the everyday mascaras. And Fairydrops is great for length, but it's also extremely waterproof. And the Fairydrop and CoverGirl are the only two that have ever been able to hold a curl with my eyelashes.

((Can you tell that eye products are my favorites...? lol))

I don't really wear a lot of blush and bronzer, but I love the Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soliel! The regular Chocolate Soliel was entirely too dark for me 9 months out of the year, but the Milk Chocolate is a lot nicer and doesn't make me look muddy or dirty...if you do want a contour powder or a bronzer, I definitely suggest that one. And I love highlighters/luminizers. Since I rarely wear blush (because it looks hideous on me) I contour a little and then highlight and it really makes my features stand out. Hard Candy So Baked Bronzer in Tiki is a gorgeous pale champange color and it's my favorite highlighter. The Make Up For Ever Uplight #12 is really good, too. I only highlight my cheekbones, but that alone lights up my face. And lip products are easy. MAC and Make Up For Ever make great lip products, but so do Revlon, Maybelline, CoverGirl & NYX. I'd definitely go for something long-wearing like a stain, or something sheer like a tinted balm. Revlon's Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains are lovely, but if you're sensitive to mint or you don't like the smell you may want to stay away. Revlon's Lip Butters might be a good idea, too. Most of them are moisturizing enough (although I'd caution against the frosty/shimmer ones as they can be drying) and just give you a little bit of color. They're easy to carry on and reapply every few hours without a whole lot of fuss. Clinique makes a similar product called the Chubby Stick that I'm starting to really enjoy. It's not a stain, but it lasts a decent amount of time. It's sheer color, like the Lip Butters, but it's also really moisturizing (moreso than the Revlon).

Your lip product is really the only thing that you should have to reapply throughout the night, especially if you set your makeup with a setting spray. But yeah basically just try to go for things that are long-wearing or waterproof and you should be good to go.

Kazekage14
Informer
Informer

Post by Kazekage14 »

l'enqueteur wrote:
Kazekage14 wrote:I can sympathize with the gold problem!
Checking with your derm is definitely a good idea, especially if you've had skin problems. I'll hold off on mentioning any foundation/concealer/etc products, too, because you should definitely check with her first to see if you have any ingredient sensitivities!

Lol I love giving product recs. I've wasted a lot of money on sub-par makeup, so I like being able to tell people what I think is good and what isn't. For eyes I love the Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. Definitely my favorite primer ever. The Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream & Benefit Creaseless Cream are good cream eyeshadows. I love #13, #15 & #16 in the MUFE and Birthday Suit & Skinny Jeans in Benefit. The Maybelline Color Tattoos are good, too, but they're not as long-wearing and resistant as the Benefit or Make Up For Ever. And I find that cream eyeshadow products are generally some of the cheapest you can find, even in the high end lines. Benefit are only I think $19 and MUFE are $22. As far as powder eyeshadows go I really like the ones from Nars, MAC, Urban Decay & Make Up For Ever. The BareMinerals duos are nice, too. And CoverGirl actually makes some really nice eyeshadows. My favorite ever is Tapestry Taupe...it's my go-to eyeshadow for everything. For eyeliner...I can't recommend Revlon Colorstay enough. It's the only one I've been able to use on my waterline without it smudging or melting off (I have allergies & wear contacts). And for mascara my favorites are CoverGirl Lashblast Volume, L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, Maybelline Full N Soft, Maybelline Falsies, Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash and Fairydrops Scandal Queen...but I like them all for different reasons. The Covergirl is great for volume, the Maybelline Falsies is great for lengthening. The L'Oreal & Maybelline Full N Soft are very natural, everyday looks. MUFE Smoky is *very* black and gives decent length & volume...but it's only slightly more dramatic than the everyday mascaras. And Fairydrops is great for length, but it's also extremely waterproof. And the Fairydrop and CoverGirl are the only two that have ever been able to hold a curl with my eyelashes.

((Can you tell that eye products are my favorites...? lol))

I don't really wear a lot of blush and bronzer, but I love the Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soliel! The regular Chocolate Soliel was entirely too dark for me 9 months out of the year, but the Milk Chocolate is a lot nicer and doesn't make me look muddy or dirty...if you do want a contour powder or a bronzer, I definitely suggest that one. And I love highlighters/luminizers. Since I rarely wear blush (because it looks hideous on me) I contour a little and then highlight and it really makes my features stand out. Hard Candy So Baked Bronzer in Tiki is a gorgeous pale champange color and it's my favorite highlighter. The Make Up For Ever Uplight #12 is really good, too. I only highlight my cheekbones, but that alone lights up my face. And lip products are easy. MAC and Make Up For Ever make great lip products, but so do Revlon, Maybelline, CoverGirl & NYX. I'd definitely go for something long-wearing like a stain, or something sheer like a tinted balm. Revlon's Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains are lovely, but if you're sensitive to mint or you don't like the smell you may want to stay away. Revlon's Lip Butters might be a good idea, too. Most of them are moisturizing enough (although I'd caution against the frosty/shimmer ones as they can be drying) and just give you a little bit of color. They're easy to carry on and reapply every few hours without a whole lot of fuss. Clinique makes a similar product called the Chubby Stick that I'm starting to really enjoy. It's not a stain, but it lasts a decent amount of time. It's sheer color, like the Lip Butters, but it's also really moisturizing (moreso than the Revlon).

Your lip product is really the only thing that you should have to reapply throughout the night, especially if you set your makeup with a setting spray. But yeah basically just try to go for things that are long-wearing or waterproof and you should be good to go.
Thanks for your suggestions!
I always look at Benefit stuff because the packaging is so interesting.
I'm weak when it comes to good looks, haha.
I haven't tried their shadows, but I'd like to now.
Thanks (again) for all of your advice!
You were especially helpful with eye products!

urmotherwasahamster
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by urmotherwasahamster »

With the format of your post, I felt like I was reading a poem haha.

Anyways, for the makeup...

Face:
A very light foundation, or none at all. I would say airbrush foundation, but I know that's not in the budget of a sophomore in HS. So stick with something light coverage if you have any redness.
If you need concealer for blemishes, I recommend the Rimmel Match Perfection.
For the dark circles, you want some kind of corrector or brightener. I recommend either the Pixi Corrective Concentrate, or the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Brightener (concealer). If you have bad genes like me and have creases under the eyes, go with the Maybelline one. It doesn't sink into fine lines as much (hence the name).
If you're into blush, try the ELF studio blushes. I hear they're really good. A natural peach color would be best for your skintone.
I don't think you need bronzer, but if you do, I suggest the ELF bronzer quad thingies.

Eyes:
You probably want to do something neutral and/or natural. Since you have brown/hazel eyes, you might want to go with a gold shade on the lids with a warm brown in the crease. Just something to compliment your eyes. Also a little liquid eyeliner wouldn't hurt.
Don't forget to curl your lashes and apply mascara (don't have a good recommendation, still looking for a good one) - it will make 200% of a difference.

Lips:
Something natural, like a pinky nude or just a straight pink. With all of the other makeup, it's probably in your best interest not to go with a bold color on your lips, just so you don't look like a streewalker haha.

Sorry if you got the advice you needed already, but I hope I helped with at least one of my recommendations. :)

RadioSurgery
Learner
Learner

Post by RadioSurgery »

Probably a resolved issue, but I want to add some suggestions.

Trial runs are so important. Last time I worked with some bridesmaids. I met with them early, applied a "face" then had them go about business through the day/evening and report back to me on how much smudge, shine and creasing there was (if any) or if they developed any allergic reactions to specific products.
I suggest doing the same. It might be a little funny running around with kind of dramatic makeup, but it's a great way to make sure you don't end up looking like crap.

Also make sure to take photos of your desired look. Indoors, outdoors, with and without flash. I've seen girls look stunning in person only to see the photos later where they look completely washed out and weird in flash photography.

Stay away from "trendy" looks and styles and just go for something classic and flattering. You obviously want to look back on those photos in ten years and just adore how cute you looked that occasion rather than cringe and think, "What a horrible trend".
I had a girl who would absolutely not listen to reasoning and insisted on some weird ass eyeshadow that she saw in a photo of some Myspace scene kid (UGH). Shimmery white with LIME GREEN POLKA DOTS all over her eye from the lash line to the brow bone. I don't know, just some things to consider.

Also, it helps to have an honest friend to help you with a second opinion.

Return to “Prom”