Exfoliating Oily Skin + Moisturizers?

whoawhoawhoa

Exfoliating Oily Skin + Moisturizers?

Post by whoawhoawhoa »

Hello pretty peoplez! Wanted to post a question for your input about skincare.

If you have oily skin, what do you do use to exfoliate your skin? What's your routine/favorite products/methods/etc.?

Also, what do you do to replenish your skin afterwards?

I have oily skin, which has become really sensitive after acne meds + prescribed topicals (which i am no longer using), and even though i still get really oily, i sometimes feel like i'm not compensating enough after my exfoliation...

any thoughts/advice would be appreciated, lovelies!! :)

mookieloo
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Exfoliating Oily Skin + Moisturizers?

Post by mookieloo »

I've been using the Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing cream/lotion/whatever, which has 2% salicylic acid and is a chemical rather than a mechanical exfoliator. I use it twice a day, morning and night, right under my lotion. I've got a very oily T-zone, and it's made a huge difference.

For moisturizer, I've been using the Olay Regenerist daily serum, except the Target dupe. It's really nice, hydrating without gooing up my face.

Both are rated Best on Beautypedia, FYI.

xyewrminex
Talker
Talker

Post by xyewrminex »

I use St Ives Apricot Scrub for blemished skin.

Llama
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Llama »

Honestly, ever since I've switched to chemical exfoliators rather than use physical exfoliators (ie. scrubs), my skin condition is a lot better. Really, all scrubs did was take away the top flaky layers of my skin- it didn't really help that much with acne. My acne has gone down except for the hormonal ones that I have no way of getting rid of and my skin is glowing. There are two types of chemical exfoliants: AHA and BHA. Since you are sensitive to acne medication like me, AHA is the better choice, it does not irritate my skin at all :) You can read more here: http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advi ... diant-skin

From the article: "Scrubs are certainly an option for exfoliating your skin, but they have limitations you don't have to worry about with an AHA or BHA exfoliant. Scrubs only deal with the very top, superficial layer of skin while most of the unhealthy, built-up skin cells are beyond the reach of a scrub. What is most problematic is that many scrubs have a rough, coarse, uneven texture that can cause skin damage by tearing into the skin as it abrades away the surface, causing tiny tears that damage the skin's barrier. Scrubs often cause more problems than they could possibly solve.

If you do want to use a manual scrub, you can simply use a gentle washcloth with your daily cleanser, which works just as well to exfoliate the surface of skin as any cosmetic scrub you can buy. As a bonus, washcloths are softer (thus gentler) and of course they don't contain pore-clogging ingredients that oily, acne-prone skin doesn't need."

I live in Canada and I'm using the dermaglow Glycolic 8% Smoothing Moisturizer, which you can buy at Shoppers. There are other physical exfoliators out there such as La Roche Posay DERM AHA Intensive resurfacing serum and the stuff from Paula's Choice :D

Return to “Skincare”