Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post Reply
User avatar
NotAZombie

Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by NotAZombie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:09 am

Hi ladies :) I'm just wondering if you know any effective way of healing pimple scars AND prevent them from getting white heads again which inevitably become acne again.

User avatar
stylishpie_177
Talker
Talker
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by stylishpie_177 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Not touching them cause that will just cause more infection and scaring. Also, don't wear makeup that clogs pores and will make them worse like foundation, I suggest bb cream or tinted moisturizer. if you have oily skin, then make sure you use makeup for oily skin or oil free makeup. But better yet, don't wear any makeup at all. Just wear face sunscreen when it's sunny outside cause sun rays can trigger acne. Hope I helped, maybe not the answer u were looking for, but I'm 14 and my advice is works. 8-) <3 :love2:

User avatar
whoawhoawhoa

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by whoawhoawhoa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:26 pm

^ not all makeup/foundation causes clogged pores. and not all bb creams and tinted moisturizers are noncomedogenic. sun rays don't trigger acne.

i used to be a chronic skin picker, but lately i've stopped myself from doing it and acne heals SO much better than when i used to pop pimples. i use a combinations of items to heal and dry out my pimples: effaclar duo and paula's choice skin lightening (both contain topical exfoliants that stay on the skin) and then LOTS of antioxidant-rich moisturizers. also la roche posay cicaplast cuts heal time down a LOT if you really cant help picking at pimples. this has been keeping most of my acne away :)

User avatar
stylishpie_177
Talker
Talker
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by stylishpie_177 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:29 pm

whoawhoawhoa wrote:^ not all makeup/foundation causes clogged pores. and not all bb creams and tinted moisturizers are noncomedogenic. sun rays don't trigger acne.

i used to be a chronic skin picker, but lately i've stopped myself from doing it and acne heals SO much better than when i used to pop pimples. i use a combinations of items to heal and dry out my pimples: effaclar duo and paula's choice skin lightening (both contain topical exfoliants that stay on the skin) and then LOTS of antioxidant-rich moisturizers. also la roche posay cicaplast cuts heal time down a LOT if you really cant help picking at pimples. this has been keeping most of my acne away :)
I do know that not all foundations clog pores, but for the most part, they do. I suggested bb cream cause its lighter and less likely to cause blemishes. Your last point is incorrect. The sun CAN cause acne as it produces heat and therefore sweat, which can definitely cause breakouts and clog pours. Anyways, you ARE right about not picking your pimples in order to heal them. You can do further research on this topic :)

User avatar
whoawhoawhoa

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by whoawhoawhoa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:27 pm

wow. lol okay "thanks"

User avatar
whoawhoawhoa

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by whoawhoawhoa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:40 pm

(that means i'm not going to spend time correcting you on all of the things you said because you are wrong in so many ways and i would take way too long) #pre-med

BeautifullyUgly
Learner
Learner
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:10 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by BeautifullyUgly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:52 am

whoawhoawhoa wrote:^ not all makeup/foundation causes clogged pores. and not all bb creams and tinted moisturizers are noncomedogenic. sun rays don't trigger acne.

i used to be a chronic skin picker, but lately i've stopped myself from doing it and acne heals SO much better than when i used to pop pimples. i use a combinations of items to heal and dry out my pimples: effaclar duo and paula's choice skin lightening (both contain topical exfoliants that stay on the skin) and then LOTS of antioxidant-rich moisturizers. also la roche posay cicaplast cuts heal time down a LOT if you really cant help picking at pimples. this has been keeping most of my acne away :)
In a way the sun does trigger acne, because an excess of it will boost the production of sebum into hyper gear! Unfortunately during my middle school years every summer I'd be attacked with acne, until the dermatologist taught me that gem and I started wearing baseball caps religiously!

I would really recommend the clean and clear spot treatment for existing acne, just so long as it isn't cystic. I use it on my occasional pimple and by the next morning the redness is gone and it's just a bump, and gone by the end of the day.

As for dealing with scars you have several options! I love diy beauty treatments and honey masks are great at lightening scars and discoloration! Also it may have just been a placebo effect type situation, but my friend recommended coconut oil to lighten a scar I had right by my hair line from an accident, and after like two weeks of using it as lotion, I noticed a significant difference! That paired with a store bought scar fader did wonders!

Now if your acne scars are extreme you can have your skin resurfaced, which admittedly is quite pricey! And it definitely comes with a down side. My brother had this done on June fifth and was warned that it would take months for the redness to fade. He was cherry red until about a month ago and even now still looks sunburnt. Plus he has to avoid sunlight for six months!

But like all things, the scars will get better in time! I have already 'outgrown' the abundance of scars I had from middle school. They all completely faded in the past few years!

Good luck! :)

User avatar
artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by artlovemoney » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:31 pm

stylishpie_177 wrote:
whoawhoawhoa wrote:^ not all makeup/foundation causes clogged pores. and not all bb creams and tinted moisturizers are noncomedogenic. sun rays don't trigger acne.

i used to be a chronic skin picker, but lately i've stopped myself from doing it and acne heals SO much better than when i used to pop pimples. i use a combinations of items to heal and dry out my pimples: effaclar duo and paula's choice skin lightening (both contain topical exfoliants that stay on the skin) and then LOTS of antioxidant-rich moisturizers. also la roche posay cicaplast cuts heal time down a LOT if you really cant help picking at pimples. this has been keeping most of my acne away :)
I do know that not all foundations clog pores, but for the most part, they do. I suggested bb cream cause its lighter and less likely to cause blemishes. Your last point is incorrect. The sun CAN cause acne as it produces heat and therefore sweat, which can definitely cause breakouts and clog pours. Anyways, you ARE right about not picking your pimples in order to heal them. You can do further research on this topic :)
*rubs temples*

Ok- I'm a LICENSED esthetician- so allow me to correct what is wrong with what you just said.

1. The sun is anti bacterial.
2. Just because you made poor choices in makeup (i.e- did not research the ingredients before you used it) does not mean all foundations are comedogenic. This also means that not all tinted moisturizers/bb creams will not cause comedones.
3. "Comedogenic" does not mean "acne". A comedone is an oxidized hair follicle filled with dead skin cells and sebum. The bacteria propionibacterium acnes and pus have to be present for it to be acne.
4. Sweat does not cause breakouts. Sebum does not cause breakouts. EXCESS SEBUM IN COMBINATION WITH ANAEROBIC BACTERIA THAT IS NOT REMOVED can cause breakouts. We sweat all day, everyday- which is how our bodies regulate heat and get rid of toxins. Following your "logic", we all would be covered in acne.
5. How about you do more research before you attempt to correct others? May I suggest a medical book or journal, rather than youtube or beauty blogs by people who are not dermatologists or estheticians?
"Details of your incompetence do not interest me."

BeautifullyUgly
Learner
Learner
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:10 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by BeautifullyUgly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:58 pm

*rubs temples*

Ok- I'm a LICENSED esthetician- so allow me to correct what is wrong with what you just said.

1. The sun is anti bacterial.
2. Just because you made poor choices in makeup (i.e- did not research the ingredients before you used it) does not mean all foundations are comedogenic. This also means that not all tinted moisturizers/bb creams will not cause comedones.
3. "Comedogenic" does not mean "acne". A comedone is an oxidized hair follicle filled with dead skin cells and sebum. The bacteria propionibacterium acnes and pus have to be present for it to be acne.
4. Sweat does not cause breakouts. Sebum does not cause breakouts. EXCESS SEBUM IN COMBINATION WITH ANAEROBIC BACTERIA THAT IS NOT REMOVED can cause breakouts. We sweat all day, everyday- which is how our bodies regulate heat and get rid of toxins. Following your "logic", we all would be covered in acne.
5. How about you do more research before you attempt to correct others? May I suggest a medical book or journal, rather than youtube or beauty blogs by people who are not dermatologists or estheticians?
Why are you being so rude about correcting her? Just because you think that she might have been misinformed, that's no reason to bring out the claws. That post isn't going to make anyone respect what you have to say or be impressed with your knowledge because you just come off as catty. There is a polite way to correct someone, and then there's the way that you did it. You may be working off technicalities, and I'm sure the poster you were replying to was working off of personal experiences which are both things that are important to keep in mind when making a decision. Just try to be nicer please! It makes the experience better for everyone. :)

User avatar
Llama
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:13 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by Llama » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 pm

In my experience BB cream can be way more pore-clogging than foundation, or at least almost the same. I'm not so sure about Western BB creams but Korean BB creams more often than not contains oil, contain all kinds of 'cones and pore-clogging ingredients. I have yet to see the words "non-comodogenic" or "oil-free" on a K BB cream packaging, ever. A lot of Western foundations I've tried claim to be both most of the time.

The best thing I've ever done to mediate my oily T-zone (I have combo skin) is actually to not focus too much on "oil free" and products "for oily skin". In my experience, many things suppposedly formulated for oily skin dries out my skin too much and forces my skin to actually secrete more oil, making me break out more. Also, I try not to load my skin with too much product and I keep my regime as simple as possible. An esthetician recommended that complicating your skin regime can cause your skin to be unstable (?) and can actually cause more breakouts due to the piling too much products on. I recommend cleansers that cleans but does not strip your skin of your natural oils (I hate the squeaky feeling, makes me feel dry) and a hydrating moisturizer. Simple is best for me.
Image

User avatar
artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by artlovemoney » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:25 am

BeautifullyUgly wrote:
*rubs temples*

Ok- I'm a LICENSED esthetician- so allow me to correct what is wrong with what you just said.

1. The sun is anti bacterial.
2. Just because you made poor choices in makeup (i.e- did not research the ingredients before you used it) does not mean all foundations are comedogenic. This also means that not all tinted moisturizers/bb creams will not cause comedones.
3. "Comedogenic" does not mean "acne". A comedone is an oxidized hair follicle filled with dead skin cells and sebum. The bacteria propionibacterium acnes and pus have to be present for it to be acne.
4. Sweat does not cause breakouts. Sebum does not cause breakouts. EXCESS SEBUM IN COMBINATION WITH ANAEROBIC BACTERIA THAT IS NOT REMOVED can cause breakouts. We sweat all day, everyday- which is how our bodies regulate heat and get rid of toxins. Following your "logic", we all would be covered in acne.
5. How about you do more research before you attempt to correct others? May I suggest a medical book or journal, rather than youtube or beauty blogs by people who are not dermatologists or estheticians?
Why are you being so rude about correcting her? Just because you think that she might have been misinformed, that's no reason to bring out the claws. That post isn't going to make anyone respect what you have to say or be impressed with your knowledge because you just come off as catty. There is a polite way to correct someone, and then there's the way that you did it. You may be working off technicalities, and I'm sure the poster you were replying to was working off of personal experiences which are both things that are important to keep in mind when making a decision. Just try to be nicer please! It makes the experience better for everyone. :)
There is no cattiness here. i called a spade a spade. To not read ingredients is a poor choice. Yes, I call her advice "logic" because its not actually legitimate since it can easily be disproved. Most of what she said, I have heard from beauty bloggers or youtubers who don't know the basics of skin theory, (coincidentally, these people are bashed on these forums for doing the same thing) so i suggested she look elsewhere for sound advice.

I would have (and have) said the same thing to a client. When you are screwing up your skin (or potentially others) with terribly informed advice- being polite isn't the way to go about it.

There are no technicalities in the sciences of the body. She tried to correct somebody and then said for them to do more research on the subject, as if she did. Clearly, she did not.

Why should I be concerned if people on the internet respect me or are impressed by me? My clients, family, and friends respect me and my expertise, and frankly, that's all that matters to me.
"Details of your incompetence do not interest me."

User avatar
whoawhoawhoa

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by whoawhoawhoa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:28 am

PREACH artlovemoney :love2:

User avatar
whoawhoawhoa

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by whoawhoawhoa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:40 am

BeautifullyUgly wrote:
*rubs temples*

Ok- I'm a LICENSED esthetician- so allow me to correct what is wrong with what you just said.

1. The sun is anti bacterial.
2. Just because you made poor choices in makeup (i.e- did not research the ingredients before you used it) does not mean all foundations are comedogenic. This also means that not all tinted moisturizers/bb creams will not cause comedones.
3. "Comedogenic" does not mean "acne". A comedone is an oxidized hair follicle filled with dead skin cells and sebum. The bacteria propionibacterium acnes and pus have to be present for it to be acne.
4. Sweat does not cause breakouts. Sebum does not cause breakouts. EXCESS SEBUM IN COMBINATION WITH ANAEROBIC BACTERIA THAT IS NOT REMOVED can cause breakouts. We sweat all day, everyday- which is how our bodies regulate heat and get rid of toxins. Following your "logic", we all would be covered in acne.
5. How about you do more research before you attempt to correct others? May I suggest a medical book or journal, rather than youtube or beauty blogs by people who are not dermatologists or estheticians?
Why are you being so rude about correcting her? Just because you think that she might have been misinformed, that's no reason to bring out the claws. That post isn't going to make anyone respect what you have to say or be impressed with your knowledge because you just come off as catty. There is a polite way to correct someone, and then there's the way that you did it. You may be working off technicalities, and I'm sure the poster you were replying to was working off of personal experiences which are both things that are important to keep in mind when making a decision. Just try to be nicer please! It makes the experience better for everyone. :)
why are you defending ignorance? OP clearly made this thread for information about this topic. would you rather get skincare advice from a 14 y.o. who, from her other posts, says that she "doesn't wear makeup" or a person who actually specializes on the topic?
by the way: avoiding makeup is not skincare. skincare is skincare.

BeautifullyUgly
Learner
Learner
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:10 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by BeautifullyUgly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:04 pm

whoawhoawhoa wrote:
BeautifullyUgly wrote:
*rubs temples*

Ok- I'm a LICENSED esthetician- so allow me to correct what is wrong with what you just said.

1. The sun is anti bacterial.
2. Just because you made poor choices in makeup (i.e- did not research the ingredients before you used it) does not mean all foundations are comedogenic. This also means that not all tinted moisturizers/bb creams will not cause comedones.
3. "Comedogenic" does not mean "acne". A comedone is an oxidized hair follicle filled with dead skin cells and sebum. The bacteria propionibacterium acnes and pus have to be present for it to be acne.
4. Sweat does not cause breakouts. Sebum does not cause breakouts. EXCESS SEBUM IN COMBINATION WITH ANAEROBIC BACTERIA THAT IS NOT REMOVED can cause breakouts. We sweat all day, everyday- which is how our bodies regulate heat and get rid of toxins. Following your "logic", we all would be covered in acne.
5. How about you do more research before you attempt to correct others? May I suggest a medical book or journal, rather than youtube or beauty blogs by people who are not dermatologists or estheticians?
Why are you being so rude about correcting her? Just because you think that she might have been misinformed, that's no reason to bring out the claws. That post isn't going to make anyone respect what you have to say or be impressed with your knowledge because you just come off as catty. There is a polite way to correct someone, and then there's the way that you did it. You may be working off technicalities, and I'm sure the poster you were replying to was working off of personal experiences which are both things that are important to keep in mind when making a decision. Just try to be nicer please! It makes the experience better for everyone. :)
why are you defending ignorance? OP clearly made this thread for information about this topic. would you rather get skincare advice from a 14 y.o. who, from her other posts, says that she "doesn't wear makeup" or a person who actually specializes on the topic?
by the way: avoiding makeup is not skincare. skincare is skincare.
I'm not 'defending ignorance' but I just thought it was awfully immature of the person who replied to be so rude to someone who you've pointed out is a kid. I think it's wrong that a grown women is acting like that towards a girl who was just trying to help even if she was misinformed. I didn't come here to argue, but I hate when people act like they can say anything on the internet and are rude to anyone they don't agree with.

User avatar
artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by artlovemoney » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:16 pm

I wasn't rude- I stated facts.

Fact: she doesn't know what she is talking about.

Its not about me agreeing or disagreeing- she was wrong, and there really isn't another way around it.
"Details of your incompetence do not interest me."

User avatar
artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 600
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by artlovemoney » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Anyway, NotAZombie, I'm sorry to say that you can't "heal" scars. A scar is a by-product of a healing process, and even if it's invisible to the naked eye- every injury has scar tissue.

You can however, reduce their appearance with skin resurfacing like Llama said. Microabrasion or just regular exfoliation can soften the appearance gradually as well. If the marks are dark, this will lighten as well.

Keep in mind that I keep writing "appearance". Without being too technical, scars reach the actual living layer of the skin, where the cells "remember" its past traumas. So once you scar- that's it. Since the skin sheds, you can speed up the process of softening how a scar looks, but it will never go away.

As far as the second part of your question- i'm not sure i really understand what it is you are asking. A scar is damaged tissue, it can't grow hair, its glads are permanently damaged, so there is no chance of them developing any comedones.

Even though it goes without say but bears repeating- no picking. The only acne I know that leaves a scar without picking is cystic acne, for which you NEED to go to a dermatologist to get it looked at.
"Details of your incompetence do not interest me."

User avatar
whoawhoawhoa

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by whoawhoawhoa » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:38 pm

i think you are being more defensive because she "young". tbh i don't care to be polite to people younger than me. 14 is absolutely old enough to understand and learn from arguments. i've been a part-time tutor for 6 years of my life and when kids reach 10 and up, they want to be treated like adults, which is GOOD because, intellectual growth benefits from being treated as such. who learned from being babied? that only breed privilege and entitlement.

this girl made sweeping generalizations that she didn't even back up. she told OTHERS to back up her own evidence for her. it showed absolutely no critical thinking at all. correcting people is NOT rude, and if people think it is, that is a characteristic of narrow-mindedness.

User avatar
NotAZombie

Re: Healing pimple scars and whiteheads?

Post by NotAZombie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:46 pm

I completely forgot about this thread and only remember it today and whoa, I missed out a lot of information :o

First of all, thank you for everyone who provided their info/experience, and also thank you artlovemoney for sharing your expertise :) I'm a horrible skin picker(still am, but has been controlling the urge) :( I'm so very aware my skin could heal better without picking but it is like I was hypnotized/cursed to pick them every time I see one. I need to stay away from the mirror. :(

I know sun ray doesn't directly cause acne, but it does trigger other skin problem isn't it?

Post Reply

Return to “Skin”