Retinol Cream Advice

usernamexhere
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Retinol Cream Advice

Post by usernamexhere »

I think I'm going to take the pluge and finally get the RoC retinol night cream. I need some advice/recommendations for anyone who uses/has used it/used a retinol cream in general.

Now, first I've gotta say that my skincare is about 95% organic and natural which is currently doing wonders for my acne. *BUT* the dilemma I have is two VERY obvious deep set fine lines in my forehead at only 25 years old either due to genetics or my dehydrated skin or both, so I'm kinda nervous about making my skin regime go off balance.

The only "unnatural" skincare product is my AM moisturizer (Neutrogena Oil-Free SPF 15).

So a few questions...

Is a higher SPF advised for the AM if I decide to used the retinol cream?
Also, my nighttime moisturizer is the Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil. I've read articles and seen on YT that it's recommended to put another moisturizer on top of the retinol. Should I opt for an actual night cream to top it other than the Maracuja Oil?
Oh, and I've been considering getting the Sensitive Skin version since my skin is normal/dry/dehydrated. I'm just wary of that version's possible lack of effectiveness. Thoughts?

Any other input (or any help at all!) is more than welcome. :)
"It's a human need to be told stories. The more we're governed by idiots and have no control over our destinies, the more we need to tell stories to each other about who we are, why we are, where we come from, and what might be possible."

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Retinol Cream Advice

Post by Username »

I wouldn't use a retinol cream because very little of it is converted to retin-a. It's just an expensive, watered-down version of retin-a. Get the real thing (retin-a). I think you would be interested in this video:

No, a higher SPF isn't necessary if you're going to use retin-a unless you're outdoors a lot, but even then you still need to reapply in order for the sunscreen to keep working. I'm 25 and have been using retin-a since age 21 for acne. For wrinkles, it takes at least a few months to see noticeable results.

usernamexhere
Informer
Informer

Post by usernamexhere »

Username wrote:I wouldn't use a retinol cream because very little of it is converted to retin-a. It's just an expensive, watered-down version of retin-a. Get the real thing (retin-a). I think you would be interested in this video:

No, a higher SPF isn't necessary if you're going to use retin-a unless you're outdoors a lot, but even then you still need to reapply in order for the sunscreen to keep working. I'm 25 and have been using retin-a since age 21 for acne. For wrinkles, it takes at least a few months to see noticeable results.
I tried Retin-A about 2 years ago for the same reason but even a low dosage wreaked severe havoc on my skin. An even bigger slap in the face is that my skin nor the flaking/redness/resurfacing essentially never got all that much better along the way. I gave it about 8 months or so until I just couldn't handle it anymore.
"It's a human need to be told stories. The more we're governed by idiots and have no control over our destinies, the more we need to tell stories to each other about who we are, why we are, where we come from, and what might be possible."

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Username »

were you applying too much? It's a common mistake. What people think is "enough" is probably too much. I have very sensitive skin and it didn't irritate me, unless I overapplied.

marieeeeee
Learner
Learner

Post by marieeeeee »

usernamexhere wrote: So a few questions...

Is a higher SPF advised for the AM if I decide to used the retinol cream?
Also, my nighttime moisturizer is the Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil. I've read articles and seen on YT that it's recommended to put another moisturizer on top of the retinol. Should I opt for an actual night cream to top it other than the Maracuja Oil?
Oh, and I've been considering getting the Sensitive Skin version since my skin is normal/dry/dehydrated. I'm just wary of that version's possible lack of effectiveness. Thoughts?

Any other input (or any help at all!) is more than welcome. :)

I can only speak from my personal experience, but RoC night cream works wonders for me. I use it every other night, under a moisturizer (I use Korres Greek Yoghurt "overnight facial" or whatever it's called--I use that EVERY night) and I've notice a huge difference in my skin in a few months. The first few weeks were the worst though, I was very flaky and a little red, and I found out quickly that I was using it too often (every night is just too much for my skin). After about a month of using it every other night, my skin was clear and happy! I have combination/mostly dry skin. If you have dry skin, every night might be too much at first...just food for thought.

Username has a really good point, don't overapply. You really don't need all that much. I concentrated mostly on my forehead and nose, and I needed probably less than a dime to completely cover my face.

I'd say definitely step up your SPF during the day if you are outside at all. I wear 30 on an everyday basis but I'm insanely pale and terrified of sun damage. 15 is the absolute minimum recommended for daily wear, I'd wear at least a 25.

Tarte's oil didn't do much for me, neither did Josie Maran Argan oil. It could just be my skin, but overnight oils never seemed to do the trick for me. I don't know how well they are working for you, but if you get super flaky your first few days after using Retinol, you may want to consider a heavier night cream. Just make sure that the Retinol is completely dry before you apply any other cream over it.

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by catcherintherye »

RoC retinol cream has worked well for me. I think it is just enough if you don't have any major skin issues. I am 31 and have oily skin that breaks out once in a couple of months. You have to be very particular with sunscreen if you use retin A, even if you only apply it at night. It makes your skin 'thin' and it is absolutely necessary to protect your skin. I over applied the roc cream one time and my skin was super flaky the next day... So this watered down version of retin a is actually not that bad. I was wondering.... Approximately how much does prescription retin a cost?

usernamexhere
Informer
Informer

Post by usernamexhere »

marieeeeee wrote:I can only speak from my personal experience, but RoC night cream works wonders for me. I use it every other night, under a moisturizer (I use Korres Greek Yoghurt "overnight facial" or whatever it's called--I use that EVERY night) and I've notice a huge difference in my skin in a few months. The first few weeks were the worst though, I was very flaky and a little red, and I found out quickly that I was using it too often (every night is just too much for my skin). After about a month of using it every other night, my skin was clear and happy! I have combination/mostly dry skin. If you have dry skin, every night might be too much at first...just food for thought.

Username has a really good point, don't overapply. You really don't need all that much. I concentrated mostly on my forehead and nose, and I needed probably less than a dime to completely cover my face.

I'd say definitely step up your SPF during the day if you are outside at all. I wear 30 on an everyday basis but I'm insanely pale and terrified of sun damage. 15 is the absolute minimum recommended for daily wear, I'd wear at least a 25.

Tarte's oil didn't do much for me, neither did Josie Maran Argan oil. It could just be my skin, but overnight oils never seemed to do the trick for me. I don't know how well they are working for you, but if you get super flaky your first few days after using Retinol, you may want to consider a heavier night cream. Just make sure that the Retinol is completely dry before you apply any other cream over it.
This was really helpful, thank you! I have a somewhat similar skin type and tone as yours. I'm a very odd combo depending on the season. During the summer (it's VERY humid where I'm at during these months) I'm a combo of semi-oily on my nose and chin, normal on my cheeks, and dry on my forehead. Pretty much every other season I'm normal on my nose and chin, and dry everywhere else. I have like an "almost" T-zone thing going on. I'm also very pale too- lighter than an NC15 and leaning more neutral. I definitely know not to over apply, so now I'll just have to look into a different morning moisturizer and night cream.

usernamexhere
Informer
Informer

Post by usernamexhere »

catcherintherye wrote:RoC retinol cream has worked well for me. I think it is just enough if you don't have any major skin issues. I am 31 and have oily skin that breaks out once in a couple of months. You have to be very particular with sunscreen if you use retin A, even if you only apply it at night. It makes your skin 'thin' and it is absolutely necessary to protect your skin. I over applied the roc cream one time and my skin was super flaky the next day... So this watered down version of retin a is actually not that bad. I was wondering.... Approximately how much does prescription retin a cost?
Co-pay or full price? I paid co-pay, and even though I don't remember the exact cost since it's been quite awhile, I know it was much higher than the average $15 cost for a brand name prescription.

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by catcherintherye »

usernamexhere wrote:
catcherintherye wrote:RoC retinol cream has worked well for me. I think it is just enough if you don't have any major skin issues. I am 31 and have oily skin that breaks out once in a couple of months. You have to be very particular with sunscreen if you use retin A, even if you only apply it at night. It makes your skin 'thin' and it is absolutely necessary to protect your skin. I over applied the roc cream one time and my skin was super flaky the next day... So this watered down version of retin a is actually not that bad. I was wondering.... Approximately how much does prescription retin a cost?
Co-pay or full price? I paid co-pay, and even though I don't remember the exact cost since it's been quite awhile, I know it was much higher than the average $15 cost for a brand name prescription.
I am not sure my insurance would cover retin A... I thought the co pay was for the doctor visit only and not prescription? I moved to the US only a couple of years ago. I don't know much about health insurance. Again, I am curious about the cost.. I.don't plan to get it... Don't think I need it.

Return to “Skincare”