Hours: Available 24 hours a day!
800-273-8255

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
al218
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

I shop for makeup when I'm depressed

Post by al218 »

Does anyone else shop for makeup too much when they are upset? I've been doing it forever and don't have the budget anymore. I like my reasonable, nice collection a lot but as of about 2 weeks ago, I am on an absolute freeze (except replacing a mascara or something). I miss being able to buy stuff to try.

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: I shop for makeup when I'm depressed

Post by Username »

you're engaging in retail therapy. You buy makeup to improve your mood, other women buy clothes or jewelery. I can't do that because I'm already poor. I immerse myself on the internet when I'm depressed. Everybody's got something.

yum-martini
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Post by yum-martini »

Username wrote:you're engaging in retail therapy. You buy makeup to improve your mood, other women buy clothes or jewelery. I can't do that because I'm already poor. I immerse myself on the internet when I'm depressed. Everybody's got something.
Same LOL. Besides if I went shopping everytime I was sad/feeling down I'd probably have more make up than Emily Noel....

But anyways, yeah, everyone's got their thing they do to feel better. It's good that you had the self awareness to go on a freeze for a while. Maybe during this time you can find another form of release from your depression :)

al218
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by al218 »

Ok, then I have to admit I started a bad habit. I started this buying and returning thing. I'm not doing it anymore because I don't want to get in trouble or anything. It was starting to get ridiculous and I'd have to go out of my way to find different sephoras and different stores to return so I wouldn't be embarrassed. (but most of the time I had reciepts) :o

whatthewhat
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by whatthewhat »

I do this a lot. I got into a habot of buying things that I didn't even really need. I have put myself on a ban and haven't purchased for a while. I will buy somethings when I go on holiday. Really need to break this habit though. It is difficult to save if you don't have something in paticular you want. I seem to have trouble with money just sitting there, I HAVE to spend. It is pathetic. I find I do not feel this way about clothing, shoes or jewellery. I can be very reserved (read: stingy) when it comes buying these.

Return to “Mental Health”