https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
MakeupGirly
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anxiety? Around family.

Post by MakeupGirly »

I don't know what you would call this, maybe social anxiety? I'm not sure, but around my extended family like cousins, grandparents, aunts etc. I am so shy and awkward. Like I can barely talk to them and only say something to them when spoken to. At family gatherings, I'll stick as closely as I can to my parents or siblings so I can just talk to them. I'm also obsessed with how I look around them and try my hardest to look good so they'll compliment me. I crave compliments from them.I literally act like a 5 year old, even though I'm 19 almost 20! The weird part is, I'm not like this around everyone. I'm known at college as being really funny and outgoing. I'm kind of like this around older adults too, like I'm really awkward around people's parents and my college teachers. If my family saw how I act around my friends and college peers, they would be shocked.

Is anyone else like this?

Brooke.
Debater
Debater

Re: Anxiety? Around family.

Post by Brooke. »

I'm exactly like this haha. Glad I'm not the only one

Sefij
Informer
Informer

Post by Sefij »

I'm kind of the same in regards to having selected people, if you will, with whom I'm more quiet and not very comfortable. I always used to think that I'm a strange person and that I'm wierd, but seeing as how there's more people like me I feel relieved.

Post by Guest »

You sound just like me and I just turned 19! I'm hoping I'll get over it once I move away from home, I'm so socially awkward around 'adults' but with people my age I'm one of the gang. I've always been like this, it's caused me a few problems here and there, there was this one girl who was my best friend around the age of 11 who started picking on me quite severely because apparently I 'acted all innocent around people' and she didn't like how I was different around my friends, so she took upon herself to turn the rest of our friends against me. It's just the way I am, I got involved in theatre to try and build my confidence but I just can't change how I am. I always remember being the shy kid, it bothers me but I guess I'll just keep faking it til I make it.

BubbleButt
Learner
Learner

Post by BubbleButt »

i act a bit like you i guess :D so i'm not the only one!

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

Exactly the same!

starrynight
Talker
Talker

Post by starrynight »

I'm like this around everyone, even people my own age :? The only people I'm comfortable with are my siblings and my boyfriend..

Return to “Mental Health”